jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

full interview: https://www.theverge.com/21611412/m...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Last edited:

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I always thought it was based on licensing the game. Pay X money for a Y period of time. It's interesting that it depends on the developer needs.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Should put a source there, I'm sure it's an interesting interview.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
It sounds like they pay enough to entice all those developers to sign GamePass agreements and then use the other consoles for profit.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for editing the source in, jbug617

Yeah it's interesting that they are basically granting some failure immunity to some smaller devs while, at the same time, game pass can work as free advertising for the game on other platforms if it's well received there. I don't think bigger games work that way though and I suspect those are more about larger sums of money upfront after the publisher considers the game has gone its course already.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, the huge variation is wild but explains why devs are so happy, they really get a huge choice in how they approach GP and support themselves with what works best for them.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they will work with the dev to get the game on gamepass and not a set this is how it works takd it or leave it

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Paying all production costs, and still being able to sell it on Playstation/Steam/Switch sounds like a pretty solid deal, especially for smaller teams/riskier projects.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It must be great for devs to have their development costs covered before they even go live.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Translation = MS has the money to make it work. Doesn't sound like there is any sound structure and they will just shell out how much is needed to get the game or developer on board.

So in some way it's kinda simple. Like the next step from a regular publishing agreement where the devs keep the IP, which isn't possible for most of the devs out there unless they are established.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol why wouldn't it be? Pretty sure the lawyers at MS know what they are doing!
You just got memed.

On a different note, I think this approach is best. You need to be able to make different types of deals with indie and AAA studios. Obviously your Capcoms are going to want different incentives compared to smaller devs.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Especially that second option is a great one: the developers can develop almost risk-free, with the only catch being that they have to make it available on gamepass - and we know that especially for smaller developers, releasing on Gamepass does not kill your retail/digital full game sales completely, either, so I imagine it's very attractive for your typical beleaguered indie dev.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
"Hey Phil break it down for me. How do you manage deals with hundreds of developers? Just a quick blurb?"

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'm glad to have some insight in this, I think it's very interesting to know that in the beginning they did actually only have deals based on engagement metrics. I think a lot of people called out the flaws in that and what that might do to games going forward, and I'm glad they were able to adapt rather than trying to shape production around themselves. This will obviously happen to some extent regardless, especially if GP gets big, but it seems like they know they need diversity to make the service work, and that different games require different strategies.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be interested to know which games they paid the full development costs of. Nice to see how diverse the contract options are, means they should be able to entice a wide variety of content for quite a while.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
If I was a guessing man it would be the likes of tell me why , ori
Well both of those games are actually published as MGS games are they not? So they would have been funded with or without Game Pass.

I believe the suggestion here is for smaller independent games that can use the capital to help just finish the game with some security.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
So it's basically the EGS model, without all the bullshit exclusivity, and with everything available to consumers at a low-low price.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
It's almost as if every situation is unique and if you work with developers' needs on an individual basis then everyone benefits in the end. Wowoaoh!

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have a couple of samples of 3rdParty GamePass titles where the provided all the development costs ?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Damn, that's actually pretty great and helps explain why there are so many indie games that launch into the service. It makes sense too, if a game's budget is less than $5mil or something, that's more than feasible for several games a month with 10+million subs paying around $10 a month

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
This doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. I want concrete numbers and specific about those deals.

"We paid BitMonkeys eleventy thousand dollars to put Shoot-mc-boomy 2 on Game Pass for 10 months plus reduced their marketplace cut from 30% to 15% for all of their in-game macro-transactions."

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. I want concrete numbers and specific about those deals.

Make a game and go sign a deal with Xbox lol

They are not going to give numbers and specifics about games since they are pretty much different and not all games or devs want the same thing.

JohnLennon

May 16, 2020
The secret sauce is really that they work with the dev on the model that suits their game. This is awesome!

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Probably the most interesting thing to me that seems to be ignored to pound a joke into the ground is the last bit. When it started, Game Pass was based on usage, which I feel was something a lot of people disputed even in the early days. Glad that changed, because that would be terrible, especially for smaller developers and games.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Clearly they aren't going to release that level on granularity on the deals. That wouldn't be fair to either MS or the individual teams and their deals.

The fact that they have, and are continuing to, modify their deals to accommodate different teams and their goals is promising going forward.