• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Obsidian is still working on their game for Take Two's Private Division, aren't they? Seems more likely we'd hear something from that rather than the announcement of an acquisition.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So, first look at Xbox Next probably.

Something with a bit more bite to it than the mention at E3, nothing extensive yet.

Let's be real, the best you can hope for is some clever t-shirt phrase or something.

Maybe the t-shirt will be the consoles code name. I am gonna guess... Sandwich.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be real, the best you can hope for is some clever t-shirt phrase or something.

Maybe the t-shirt will be the consoles code name. I am gonna guess... Sandwich.

Phil will present the conference dressed as the Xbox Scarlet Pimpernel
722b3f66ff03371eace61529969fdd92.jpg

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Obsidian is still working on their game for Take Two's Private Division, aren't they? Seems more likely we'd hear something from that rather than the announcement of an acquisition.

It wouldn't be the first time MS bought a company mid-development. Not this early though. Last I heard they were working on some "The Outer Worlds" thing.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I missed this thread yesterday. This is pretty huge news yeah?

I have to imagine that this is where we finally get information on their game streaming service.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
And then Amazon swoop in to buy them.

MS only concern should be how to strengthen the Xbox value proposition and if that means upsetting people cause they've bought there favourite developer then that's just tough shit.

Yeah this "you should be ashamed of yourself for wishing for buyouts you corporate fanboy warrior" narrative is misplayed.

Buyouts, on the surface, aren't either good or bad for gamers and developers. They can work out either way. If Microsoft stays this course for awhile, buyouts should be win/win. These ecosystems are going to get increasingly more accessible and with backwards/forwards compatibility and streaming a few more years down the line, most gaming enthusiasts will have access to all ecosystems.

An environment which gives these current Indie developers bigger budgets with creative freedom on a platform (Game Pass) that exposes their games to more people than if they remained multiplat in a traditional model is good all around.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Hmm, with Cross-play on the PS4 happening (for select titles), I wonder if that means FFXIV will be announced at X0? The director of Final Fantasy XIV said there's only a few policies that Microsoft needs to waive, but it's a lot closer than before. He also mentioned how Sony not allowing cross-play was another issue that could make it not happen, but now that probably won't be the case (unless it's not a select title).

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You know I thought of making a joke post about this in the K&M announcement thread when the news broke. Just saying that they had a lot of BFA stuff on the dashboard last month as well including avatar stuff and a pretty elaborate preview app thing......

I would love to see how well these consoles could run it, especially X. Adding WoW to consoles going forward would provide a huge boost to the population. I've been saying for years that Blizzard is leaving so much money on the table not having a Warcraft product on consoles.

Sony announcing Crossplay for fortnite and future select titles is another pin on the board in favor of WoW on console :P . Couldn't agree more about Blizzard leaving money on the table. WoW could have released years ago on console with the caveat that you need a K&M to play and I personally think it would have found major success. Additionally with MS's stance now on things like mod support, i can't imagine the game being any different from its PC counterpart. With regards to its performance, I played on a vanilla private server for the last year (Was on Elysium until we were forced to move to Lights Hope) and the game can run flawlessly on a windows tablet with an atom processor. Can't imagine a scenario where it doesn't run flawlessly on current gen consoles. Obviously the game has been enhanced significantly since its original vanilla state, but i still have no problem running retail at 1080p 60 fps on my ryzen 3 2200g, budget build.

Aug 26, 2018
OMG, Could it be MS acquiring Rocksteady and announcing the first exclusive Superhero game for Xbox Scarlett?

Sounds too good to be true but Phil spoke about the Rare Acquisition during X0, another acquisition can't be ruled out. Also, MS now has 2 British Studios, PG and Rare, what are the chances of another one?

Rocksteady seems like the type of acquisition that would really put MS's first party studio on a higher level than before.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
OMG, Could it be MS acquiring Rocksteady and announcing the first exclusive Superhero game for Xbox Scarlett?

Sounds too good to be true but Phil spoke about the Rare Acquisition during X0, another acquisition can't be ruled out. Also, MS now has 2 British Studios, PG and Rare, what are the chances of another one?

Rocksteady seems like the type of acquisition that would really put MS's first party studio on a higher level than before.

Warner Bros owns Rocksteady...so...no.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Can the exclusive superhero game to Xbox talk please just die i feel like it would be embarrassing for Xbox to even attempt it no matter how amazing the game would be.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Great to have this back.

Let's just hope they have some meaningful announcements. Otherwise, it'll not gather the attention of anyone.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why isn't it embarrassing for Sony then?

I didnt say it was embarrassing to have an exclusive superhero game. It would be embarrassing for Xbox to make one just because Sony did one. It would be a very 90's Sega thing to do and the only reason the Spiderman game exists is because Sony owns the rights to Spiderman and have for years now.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Spencer did say they wanted to move away from E3 only. So this is the thing. Alot of people suggested it also.
If they want it like a "second E3" from them. This is what i hope and is somewhat realistic also.

Ori gameplay and releasedate
Crackdown 3 blowout
Gears 5 short mission and info
Battleloads trailer
Halo Infinite something. Maybe new teaser
Studio(s) acquisition
BC news with new enhanced games
Some talk about the mouse and keyboard (maybe with some games)

Maybe slighty less realistic
Fable announcement
Ninja Theory game announcement

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt say it was embarrassing to have an exclusive superhero game. It would be embarrassing for Xbox to make one just because Sony did one. It would be a very 90's Sega thing to do and the only reason the Spiderman game exists is because Sony owns the rights to Spiderman and have for years now.
Thats competition. Alot of the things Sony has done and said are more embarrassing but they are defended here instead only because they are in "1st place".

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thats competition. Alot of the things Sony has done and said are more embarrassing but they are defended here instead only because they are in "1st place".

Thats not competition thats desperation. Sony has the luxury of using an established IP without questioning from the community because they have been on fire with their own IPs. Microsoft needs to innovate and show they are not just imitators

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Thats not competition thats desperation. Sony has the luxury of using an established IP without questioning from the community because they have been on fire with their own IPs. Microsoft needs to innovate and show they are not just imitators
You do realize how small the audience that actually analyzes publisher politics this deeply is, right?

All that matters is that a game looks cool and gets properly marketed. If they announce a Wonder Woman or whatever game and previews look good, this whole narrative you're suggesting would never go beyond forum fanboy shit slinging.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Obviously this is about Lost Odyssey 2.

Right? :(
Which studio would make it? Since Mistwalker always was more of a design studio rather than a production one.
Hmm, with Cross-play on the PS4 happening (for select titles), I wonder if that means FFXIV will be announced at X0? The director of Final Fantasy XIV said there's only a few policies that Microsoft needs to waive, but it's a lot closer than before. He also mentioned how Sony not allowing cross-play was another issue that could make it not happen, but now that probably won't be the case (unless it's not a select title).
Way too soon for that, even if Sony allowed crossplay for everything (they aren't so far).

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
That's not really what I meant.
More in a way that now that they got those news from Sony, they need to plan how to do it and when.
And again, assuming that Sony allows it. X018 is too soon for that.
Ah, Ok. That's true. It looks to be when rather then if. The Director said talks were going smoothly, so he definitely knows more than we know.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC

This is an infantile way to view creative mediums. So any developer or publisher that tries to hop a successful trend is desperate and pathetic?

Do you think Sony set the trend for superhero games? Batman ring a bell? Hulk?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I get what you're saying but it wasn't like Killzone was embarrassing for Sony. The review scores maybe, but not the concept.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they have enough content in creation then by all means, host as many announcement events outside of E3 to keep folks informed and up to date.

Agreed. Personally i could do without E3 and just spread that stuff throughout the year. You'd have more flexibility to play with different formats and also physically reach more audiences, like this one being in Mexico, for example.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you're saying but it wasn't like Killzone was embarrassing for Sony. The review scores maybe, but not the concept.
I'm not sure it's smart to go off that "Halo killer" term made up by the gaming media. Guerrilla, back when they were called Lost Boy Games were responsible for Game Boy games. I don't think Sony acquired them after their past few Game Boy games in order for them to make FPS games to go toe-to-toe with HALO of all games, because it would not make sense for them to acquire a studio without home console & FPS experience to do just that.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm not sure it's smart to go off that "Halo killer" term made up by the gaming media. Guerrilla, back when they were called Lost Boy Games were responsible for Game Boy games. I don't think Sony acquired them after their past few Game Boy games in order for them to make FPS games to go toe-to-toe with HALO of all games, because it would not make sense for them to acquire a studio without home console & FPS experience to do just that.
Eh? Sony acquired Guerrilla after Nam and Killzone had already released.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Eh? Sony acquired Guerrilla after Nam and Killzone had already released.
Oh man, that actually was embarrassing. I read it wrong. :/

Anyway, Halo came out around 2 years before Sony announced Killzone on PS2. That's why I guess it didn't feel embarrassing. The media exacerbated any narrative that Killzone was a response to Halo. Microsoft announcing that they've acquired a studio just to take on a superhero IP only a couple of months after Spider-Man released does look kinda embarrassing and desperate. It's a good thing then that it's just not likely. Maybe 2-3 years down the line.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Sony have spent their entire history in this industry copying Nintendo's successful innovations.

It's not embarrassing, it's what smart businesses do. What's embarrassing is the amount of fanboy nonsense spouted after the fact.

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
Is party chat embarrassing on sonys end? Will BC be embarrassing too well besides the one you're already getting for a cost? Come on dude

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Sweet, will probably be a cool show!
Can the exclusive superhero game to Xbox talk please just die i feel like it would be embarrassing for Xbox to even attempt it no matter how amazing the game would be.
I kinda agree. Still haven't played the new Spiderman game since I can't get over the embarrasment of releasing a superhero game after the success of Rocksteady's Batman games. It's shameful really.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Too late for me. I waited years to have exclusives beyond Killer Instinct to enjoy. Hell not a lot of genre diversity on the console period killed it for me as well. Sad. Its a powerful console that after a lot of work is pretty good. Shit menus though. Its just trash to navigate.

I really want to be impressed again though. I want to hear of a potential lineup that makes me go back in and grab an X1X or something. I loved my 360 last gen and it sucked when X1 became a giant case of buyers remorse for me. Once KI hit PC their was no excuse to hang on. I'll be watching this with hope in mind. I'd like to see a comeback and waves made.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

Rocksteady already is owned by WB. Other than that, the rumor is that Microsoft bought Obsidian. So that's what I see as most likely. Although Playful (Super Lucky's Tale) or Iron Galaxy are also safe bets if Obsidian rumor doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Oh man, that actually was embarrassing. I read it wrong. :/

Anyway, Halo came out around 2 years before Sony announced Killzone on PS2. That's why I guess it didn't feel embarrassing. The media exacerbated any narrative that Killzone was a response to Halo. Microsoft announcing that they've acquired a studio just to take on a superhero IP only a couple of months after Spider-Man released does look kinda embarrassing and desperate. It's a good thing then that it's just not likely. Maybe 2-3 years down the line.
The fact Sony purchased a FPS studio shortly after Halo exploded the genre on consoles wasn't a coincidence. No doubt Sony would've welcomed the 'Halo killer' tag if Killzone was anything more than mediocre.

Sep 12, 2018

Actually Sony did approach em for just that after they lost Halo to Microsoft.

Here is a lil thing I wrote(three pages) that details it: http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/134742/studio_profile_guerrilla_games.php

"Back in December 1999," said Hulst, "we had made a demo called Marines. I showed it to Sony in London, and you have to understand back then that was a risky proposition -- since the only popular console FPS was GoldenEye. A lot has changed since then."

Given the market conditions when Hulst pitched the project to Sony, and the fact that Sony already had a promising sci-fi shooter slated for its platform, its decision to take a pass on the Marines project made sense.

On one hand, you had a small Dutch developer which had never produced a shooter before, and on the other hand was a well-known developer with a proven track record. Coming from the PC and Mac sphere, Bungie had extensive experience in making first person shooters (the Marathon series) and had two games pledged for the upcoming PS2 system.

One was a third person action game called Oni; the other one however is arguably the game that built the Xbox brand -- none other than Halo: Combat Evolved.

Bungie started out as one of the very few Mac game developers, but economic realities (the implosion of sales of Macintosh computers in the late '90s) forced it to branch out to Windows computers as well.

Halo was first considered for release on Mac, PC, and Dreamcast. As hype started to build around the upcoming release of the PlayStation 2, the Dreamcast version was shelved in favor of a console exclusivity deal with Sony for PS2 -- where Sony itself would act as publisher of the game.

Microsoft, however, was coming out with its Xbox and needed more talented developers to attract gamers to its first real entry into the console industry. Bungie was open for a buyout, and Sony lost the Halofranchise. It still got Oni via Rockstar, however.

Ironically, Halo: Combat Evolved -- the game that killed the Marines project for Sony -- was also the one that revived it. After the huge success Halo enjoyed on the Xbox, Sony realized it needed a high profile exclusive sci-fi shooter on the PS2. Guerrilla was contacted and the project got the greenlight -- and the budget it needed.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Actually Sony did approach em for just that after they lost Halo to Microsoft.

Here is a lil thing I wrote(three pages) that details it: http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/134742/studio_profile_guerrilla_games.php

"Back in December 1999," said Hulst, "we had made a demo called Marines. I showed it to Sony in London, and you have to understand back then that was a risky proposition -- since the only popular console FPS was GoldenEye. A lot has changed since then."

Given the market conditions when Hulst pitched the project to Sony, and the fact that Sony already had a promising sci-fi shooter slated for its platform, its decision to take a pass on the Marines project made sense.

On one hand, you had a small Dutch developer which had never produced a shooter before, and on the other hand was a well-known developer with a proven track record. Coming from the PC and Mac sphere, Bungie had extensive experience in making first person shooters (the Marathon series) and had two games pledged for the upcoming PS2 system.

One was a third person action game called Oni; the other one however is arguably the game that built the Xbox brand -- none other than Halo: Combat Evolved.

Bungie started out as one of the very few Mac game developers, but economic realities (the implosion of sales of Macintosh computers in the late '90s) forced it to branch out to Windows computers as well.

Halo was first considered for release on Mac, PC, and Dreamcast. As hype started to build around the upcoming release of the PlayStation 2, the Dreamcast version was shelved in favor of a console exclusivity deal with Sony for PS2 -- where Sony itself would act as publisher of the game.

Microsoft, however, was coming out with its Xbox and needed more talented developers to attract gamers to its first real entry into the console industry. Bungie was open for a buyout, and Sony lost the Halofranchise. It still got Oni via Rockstar, however.

Ironically, Halo: Combat Evolved -- the game that killed the Marines project for Sony -- was also the one that revived it. After the huge success Halo enjoyed on the Xbox, Sony realized it needed a high profile exclusive sci-fi shooter on the PS2. Guerrilla was contacted and the project got the greenlight -- and the budget it needed.
Oh shit... Sony you buffoons, haha!

Interesting article :)

ThePhoque

Jun 6, 2018
Novigrad
I'd rather have Playground Games make the reboot than Obsidian, to be honest.

An American-made Fable game doesn't sound right to me.

Well because Obsidian in my opinion is one of the best RPG makers in the industry i would love to see them make the game, Don't know how it would turn out if it was made by an american ...