• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's very common for a publisher not to announce a Japan version for Xbox One then announce a Western version.

I believe SEGA Atlus, Square Enix and Bandai Namco have all done this with Xbox One games in the past year or so. I also remember a Square Enix interview from earlier this year where they said they have to acknowledge the world is bigger than just japan and even though they might not sell many copies on Xbox One in Japan, Xbox One has a good installbase in North America and some countries in Europe.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Valkyria Chronicles 4 (a SEGA game which is the same publisher as Judge Eyes) released on PS4 and Switch only in Japan because they were worried sales would be unsatisfactory on Xbox One in Japan but in North America, it released on PS4, Xbox One and Switch.

It's just weird because Sega already confirmed the game for a western release so why not announce that it will be on Xbox One if that's the case? It only helps. Announcing games later especially near launch is a mistake because by then, most people have their gaming plans set already in regards to what they're buying and playing.

I don't think Judge Eyes will be on Xbox One because it's a spin off of Yakuza and Yakuza isn't on Xbox One so why would they start would the spin off? Remains to be seen but my thing is that Spencer needs to get Japanese games day and date with PS4, not 15 months later like Nier Automata.

Hopefully, Xbox One owners get those Yakuza games and Judge Eyes because based on what I have played with Yakuza Zero, holy shit, the game is great and the story and characters is excellent so Xbox One owners would be getting a damn good treat.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
It's just weird because Sega already confirmed the game for a western release so why not announce that it will be on Xbox One if that's the case? It only helps. Announcing games later especially near launch is a mistake because by then, most people have their gaming plans set already in regards to what they're buying and playing.

I don't think Judge Eyes will be on Xbox One because it's a spin off of Yakuza and Yakuza isn't on Xbox One so why would they start would the spin off? Remains to be seen but my thing is that Spencer needs to get Japanese games day and date with PS4, not 15 months later like Nier Automata.

Hopefully, Xbox One owners get those Yakuza games and Judge Eyes because based on what I have played with Yakuza Zero, holy shit, the game is great and the story and characters is excellent so Xbox One owners would be getting a damn good treat.
https://www.gamerevolution.com/news...still-happen-but-it-isnt-coming-to-the-switch

In June they said Yakuza could eventually come to Xbox One. That isn't confirmation that it's happening but the hope is there.

Dec 12, 2017
I'm glad for Xbox fans they are getting more game announcements and more titles coming their way, it's been a rough last couple of years.

That being said, why announce so many games late in the generation? I'd imagine a lot of their development has shifted to next gen, which is the reason Sony hasn't announced anything first party since ghosts of Tsushima.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I'm glad for Xbox fans they are getting more game announcements and more titles coming their way, it's been a rough last couple of years.

That being said, why announce so many games late in the generation? I'd imagine a lot of their development has shifted to next gen, which is the reason Sony hasn't announced anything first party since ghosts of Tsushima.
Phil Spencer kind of explained this. He said when the next xbox comes out, games will likely be playable on both Xbox One and the new generation console until it's not technologically viable to support Xbox One.

Their strategy is to keep you subscribed to Game Pass with Game Pass original games (or exclusive games that launch into Game Pass day one).

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

All these games will be playable on the next one of course. They have to keep Gamepass filled to attract more subscribers. That's why they need more studios.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

They're available on PC, scalable for any of their consoles (i.e. Xbox Scarlett will be able to push the games more once it comes out while an Xbox One will be able to just run it now) and they're more concerned with software sales and engagement than strictly console sales.

Microsoft is trying to decouple the idea of games locked to generations of consoles and give people on their ecosystem a library of titles going as far back as the original Xbox as things they can play whebewhe they want.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're available on PC, scalable for any of their consoles (i.e. Xbox Scarlett will be able to push the games more once it comes out while an Xbox One will be able to just run it now) and they're more concerned with software sales and engagement than strictly console sales.

Microsoft is trying to decouple the idea of games locked to generations of consoles and give people on their ecosystem a library of titles going as far back as the original Xbox as things they can play whebewhe they want.

There will still be plenty of games at launch especially third party that are Xbox Scarlett only...but if you buy a new console we won't lose anything before

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Xbone will play scarlet games natively until it's not possible and then streaming kicks in.

They won't lose gamepass subscribers on purpose, you can bet they will try to support the biggest range of hardware for their new games as well making the streaming app is available everywhere.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
There will still be plenty of games at launch especially third party that are Xbox Scarlett only...but if you buy a new console we won't lose anything before

That's where their streaming service comes in. Can't afford an Xbox Scarlett and already own an Xbox One? Stream it to your current console.

Riesenfass

Oct 29, 2017
Going to throw my prediction out there. They will announce scarlet and tease some details, with a release late next year. I've been convinced that new systems are coming next year and this event lines up nicely.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018

Microsoft sees console generations as something from the past. Every game they release now will be part of the Scarlet line up. That's why they don't care so much when it comes out.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot how aggressive Ms was on 360. Fifa/Pes exclusive for one year, Tomb Raider ans Splinter Cell Exclusivity, GTA 4 DLC, Mistwalker S2...

Not all that payed out, but you could see how much money they were spending to win.
Those were different times. The industry has changed a lot over the last 10 years and we won't be seeing spending -at that level- anymore.

Since we're taking a trip down memory lane; Here's the actual announcement of the Rare acquisition at X02;
https://archive.org/details/rare-interview/rare_interview.mpg

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft sees console generations as something from the past. Every game they release now will be part of the Scarlet line up. That's why they don't care so much when it comes out.
Precisely this. Like how there are currently Xbox One X Enhanced titles I can easily see 'Scarlet' Enhanced titles for future games while making all current titles future compatible.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going to throw my prediction out there. They will announce scarlet and tease some details, with a release late next year. I've been convinced that new systems are coming next year and this event lines up nicely.
I just don't see them announcing it right before the Xmas season which will directly affect One S/X sales. If Scarlett does come out fall of next year, then the earliest it would be announced is spring of next year

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I really want some more from Halo Infinite, even if we are further away from that.

Same here.

My personal opinion is that the title they are using gives us a few hints as to their intentions.

Or rather, what is infinite?

in·fi·nite
[ˈinfənət]

ADJECTIVE

1. limitless or endless in space, extent, or size; impossible to measure or calculate.
    "the infinite mercy of God" ·
    boundless ·
    nonfinite.
  1. mathematics

(of a series) able to be continued indefinitely.

NOUN
(the infinite)

1. a space or quantity that is infinite.

This subtitle has lead me to believe 2 things mainly:

Halo: Infinite is going to take place on a fully open Halo ring. A ring/circle being an infinite shape, there is no beginning, nor is there an end.

Halo: Infinite will not just be the next mainline entry, but will be the foundation on which all future Halo games are built. There will never be a "Halo Infinite 2", there will only be updates to Infinite going forward.

And I can't wait to see if I'm horribly wrong or right, cause whatever it is, it's gonna be big.

Riesenfass

Oct 29, 2017
I just don't see them announcing it right before the Xmas season which will directly affect One S/X sales. If Scarlett does come out fall of next year, then the earliest it would be announced is spring of next year
You may be right. I will say that the audience for these events likely already have their consoles... I'd see it impacting X sales more than S. Guess we'll find out Nov. 10!

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Same here.

My personal opinion is that the title they are using gives us a few hints as to their intentions.

in·fi·nite
[ˈinfənət]

ADJECTIVE

1. limitless or endless in space, extent, or size; impossible to measure or calculate.
    boundless ·
    nonfinite.
  1. mathematics

NOUN
(the infinite)

Halo: Infinite is going to take place on a fully open Halo ring. A ring/circle being an infinite shape, there is no beginning, nor is there an end.

Halo: Infinite will not just be the next mainline entry, but will be the foundation on which all future Halo games are built. There will never be a "Halo Infinite 2", there will only be updates to Infinite going forward.

And I can't wait to see if I'm horribly wrong or right, cause whatever it is, it's gonna be big.

I mean, I don't want to see them turn halo into a Destiny clone. If they want to release expansion packs for the story mode overtime and maybe offer free multiplayer maps, I'd be totally down for that. Avoid the destiny crap though.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer kind of explained this. He said when the next xbox comes out, games will likely be playable on both Xbox One and the new generation console until it's not technologically viable to support Xbox One.

Their strategy is to keep you subscribed to Game Pass with Game Pass original games (or exclusive games that launch into Game Pass day one).
This is part of the reason I believe Xbox One X will act as a cross over and by the end of next gen end up as the Xbox One OG.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

VibueXX.jpg

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
We thought Microsoft wouldn't announce scorpio while announcing the One S and they did. So who knows.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
They already teased scarlet at E3 officially. Wouldn't be surprised if they start showing off games for it tbh.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Same here.

in·fi·nite
[ˈinfənət]

ADJECTIVE

boundless ·
    nonfinite.
  1. mathematics

NOUN
(the infinite)

They already said it was officially Halo 6, they just didn´t want to keep using numbers because at a certain point it sounds ridiculous. It´ll be an open world on the ring, though. Infinite is probably a reference to the many times words like Infinity have been used in the saga, I think if you want to make predictions you´ll have better luck there :)

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
The Scorpion didn't replace the One S though. It's part of the same gen.
Scarlet might not replace X, they said several times they don´t want to continue with the concept of generation.

As for the name, I think it´ll be Xbox 5.
1. OG
2. 360
3. One
4. X
5. Five.

They´ve had a problem to catch up to Sony in console numbers, avoiding using the same system for Xbox because it makes it sound inferior. Now they can fix it (plus, this is the same company that skipped Windows 9 LOL).

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
All I really want to see is Halo Infinite. Anything from it. What are the chances I'll be disappointed?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scarlet might not replace X, they said several times they don´t want to continue with the concept of generation.

As for the name, I think it´ll be Xbox 5.
1. OG
2. 360
3. One
4. X
5. Five.

They´ve had a problem to catch up to Sony in console numbers, avoiding using the same system for Xbox because it makes it sound inferior. Now they can fix it (plus, this is the same company that skipped Windows 9 LOL).
I think Xbox wants to stay away from numbers next gen.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
We thought Microsoft wouldn't announce scorpio while announcing the One S and they did. So who knows.

I think anyone setting themselves up for a next gen announcement will be disappointed. Announcing Scorpio and the S in the same conference made sense for two reasons: it informed people that another, more powerful console was a year away so people who purchased the S weren't caught off guard and disappointed/upset they didn't wait a year. It also potentially gave some consumers a reason to pass on the Pro and wait for the 1X.

The next gen tease at E3 this year also made sense since their message was to show they are in it for the long haul. Phil said as much during the Giant Bomb interview. He said that it shouldn't be a surprise that they are working on next gen hardware, but he wanted to show gamers that they were committed to produce hardware in the future.

Those announcements or teases made sense. Announcing another console a year after the 1X launches doesn't really make sense.