• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine waking up to a text message saying I'd be losing power tomorrow and might not get it back for another five days.

PGE should just hurry along with their bankruptcy & let municipalities rehire workers to handle electricity.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
PG&E fucking sucks and are incompetent as hell. 15-25 mph winds? Some lines must be hanging on by bubble gum.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in the effected county but didn't get a text :x Guess I'm ok then? (darn was hoping to get out of work for a day...) The multi-day outage was worrying though, I figured it would only be a few hours-1 day :x Lucky for businesses that still have power, though!

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the effected county but didn't get a text :x Guess I'm ok then? (darn was hoping to get out of work for a day...) The multi-day outage was worrying though, I figured it would only be a few hours-1 day :x Lucky for businesses that still have power, though!
It's whoever number is on the account.

Might want to check your PG&E account too, as there are alerts there too if you got one.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It's whoever number is on the account.

Might want to check your PG&E account too, as there are alerts there too if you got one.

Strange, I've previously had voice mails before saying technicians would be coming by to do their periodic meter checks, so my number should be the right one. Can't access the site right now, since it's currently down.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Strange, I've previously had voice mails before saying technicians would be coming by to do their periodic meter checks, so my number should be the right one. Can't access the site right now, since it's currently down.
Maybe they're just getting slammed so hard, lots of technical difficulties even, lol.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah....here's the map for my area. I'm affected.

3KKBjNB.png

8ajIbnF.png

Squarehard aren't the Hayward hills on here?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Finslly got on and checked the expanded map. Most of it is around the hills, and looks like I'll be uneffected.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
Website's getting hammered, but we just got the call. Checked and the map showed us getting hit, but address lookup said we weren't.

Guess we'll see, weird week coming up here

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Partner just confirmed PGE telling Sonoma county the areas in-county that were outlined will get the power shut off at midnight tonight. Cell towers supposed to go 6-8 hours after so might wake up to no power and no phone.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Partner just confirmed PGE telling Sonoma county the areas in-county that were outlined will get the power shut off at midnight tonight. Cell towers supposed to go 6-8 hours after so might wake up to no power and no phone.

Ouch, the no cell tower thing is a real kicker. Then again, I can imagine the bandwith of outage'd people using the towers will also be clogged :/

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got a department email saying my area shouldn't be affected, but I still want to check and PG&E's site still doesn't fucking work. smol utility company /s

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
People freaking out on Twitter, justifiably. Backup medical batteries, fridges required to keep meds cool, other medical needs... 24 hr notice for a company's incompetence does suck to get these things in time. However, it is important to think of potential backups in case of emergencies (we do have earthquakes here, too) that would be a good idea to think about backups for future planning.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much expect the power off in my house tonight at midnight. Which sucks because if my daughter is home from school tomorrow-not sure how I can work remotely with her. I would have to go somewhere else that has WiFi for *8 hours* and bring her with me.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I pretty much expect the power off in my house tonight at midnight. Which sucks because if my daughter is home from school tomorrow-not sure how I can work remotely with her. I would have to go somewhere else that has WiFi for *8 hours* and bring her with me.

I feel like Starbucks will be packed tomorrow :x

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017

Yeah the outage map for Santa Rosa is divided N-S along the 101 pretty neatly except for a blob in the downtown business area that jumps the 101. Expect people to crowd the NW & SW parts of the city looking for a signal, ice, a bite to eat, place to work, etc..

Regardless of city, if you're in an area that happens to be close the edge of an outage map, expect things to be busier than usual in your neck of the woods.

pooptest

Oct 27, 2017

McD's with a play area? It'll probably bore her after 10 minutes, though. Idk about 8 hours. Sorry :/

Thankfully, my office is in the "you will be spared" area, so at least I won't have to worry about that.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
LOL
Just found out my house will be affected-but my daughter's school is not. She's really pissed-and just let out a Darth Vader "NOOOOOOOOO".

PG&E keeps tweeting to go to their site for updates, but that site is down. lol

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Phew, I'm in a safe spot. Hope that doesn't change. My work is right near the edge and said they will just close the building until power comes back on.

And cell towers going to go offline too? Can't imagine that will be good for crime.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Its fucked up when the Earth is trying that hard to kill you.

Hurricanes, tornadoes and these crazy fires are all scary AF.

The worst we have to worry about in the northeast is usually a blizzard and the occasional tornado (pretty rare).

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Its fucked up when the Earth is trying that hard to kill you.

Stuff like fires are natural, and can help revitalize the planet life in the region. But when you toss in man-made fires (like PG and E) and the fact that many human settlements happen to be in the path and yeah, it can be a recipe for disaster (and has been!)

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like fires are natural, and can help revitalize the planet life in the region. But when you toss in man-made fires (like PG and E) and the fact that many human settlements happen to be in the path and yeah, it can be a recipe for disaster (and has been!)

Yeah my friend's mom in Santa Rosa literally burned alive in the fire 2 years ago because she was trapped in her mobile home and couldn't get out. It's awful and PG&E was responsible.

Oct 27, 2017
So they're shutting off the power for how long? Two days? The notice I got in the mail said 5 am to 7 am, but that was apparently for maintenance, not this.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah my friend's mom in Santa Rosa literally burned alive in the fire 2 years ago because she was trapped in her mobile home and couldn't get out. It's awful and PG&E was responsible.

Geeeeze that's awful :( I saw a video on Youtube from some Berkeley fire fighters called out there, and I was shocked at how fast it spread... Even professionals like them dealing with fires felt very... small considering the scope of the situation...

Awful situation, ESPECIALLY when you find out it was done by an electrical company, negligent campers, cig tossed out a car, etc...

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So they're shutting off the power for how long? Two days? The notice I got in the mail said 5 am to 7 am, but that was apparently for maintenance, not this.
As long as the wind is still a current weather event, and then it'll take a while to get it back online because they need to inspect every power line before sending power through it. San Jose's mayor said to prepare for "up to 7 days" without power. PG&E has been telling people the plan is to shut it down at 4am, but some cities have been telling their citizens midnight.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have never heard of a company preemptively cutting power because of a weather event.

Especially when it's just a wind event... with averages around 25mph

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
it's just a wind event... with averages around 25mph
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA HAS ISSUED A

FIRE WEATHER WATCH, WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT

THROUGH THURSDAY AFTERNOON.

* AFFECTED AREA...FIRE WEATHER ZONES 507 AND 511...THE NORTH AND

EAST BAY HILLS ABOVE 1000 FEET.

* WIND...NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS OF 35 TO

45 MPH. LOCALLY HIGHER GUSTS ARE LIKELY ACROSS HIGHER RIDGES

AND PEAKS.

* HUMIDITY...DAYTIME MINIMUM RELATIVE HUMIDITY IN THE TEENS AND

AS LOW AS THE SINGLE DIGITS BY THURSDAY. VERY POOR OVERNIGHT

HUMIDITY RECOVERIES...ONLY TO 20 TO 30 PERCENT WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* HIGHEST THREAT...ALL PORTIONS OF THE NORTH AND EAST BAY HILLS

WILL LIKELY EXPERIENCE CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONS. AREAS

OF GREATEST CONCERN MAY BE REFINED AS THE EVENT DRAWS CLOSER.

THE TIME PERIOD OF GREATEST CONCERN IS LATE WEDNESDAY THROUGH

EARLY THURSDAY.

* IMPACTS...ANY FIRES THAT DEVELOP WILL LIKELY SPREAD RAPIDLY.

OUTDOOR BURNING IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FIRE WEATHER WATCH MEANS THAT CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONS

ARE FORECAST TO OCCUR. LISTEN FOR LATER FORECASTS AND POSSIBLE

RED FLAG WARNINGS.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
the whole situation has been a huge mess. Their website has been on and off for the whole day. It took me a few hours before I can confirm my area is not affected.

And they only upload the sheet to twitter just the last hour. I had to find a news article to take a look at the maps since I still can't access their website properly.

Estimated time of restoration

Overall, based on the latest weather forecasts and models, PG&E anticipates that this weather event will last through midday Thursday, with peak winds forecasted from Wednesday morning through Thursday morning and reaching 40 to 55 mph, with isolated gusts up to 60 to 70 mph.

Before restoring power, PG&E must inspect its equipment for damage and make any necessary repairs. That process cannot begin until the severe weather event has subsided.

Given the prolonged period during which the wind event will unfold, and the large number of power line miles that will need to be inspected before restoration, customers are being asked to prepare for an extended outage.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Severe weather inbound -> shutoff of power -> wait for severe weather to subside -> physically inspect every inch of line you shut off for any damages -> ??? WHAT IS TIME ??? -> power is restored.

Depending on the length of poor conditions, amount of wiring/cabling needed to be inspected, amount of workforce available, etc.. things could take quite a while. That's why they're out there saying be prepared for shutoff periods of up to 5 days.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised more people aren't talking about this shitshow. Next few days are going to suck.

On a more interesting note, I think it'll be cool to see what California will look like from high in the sky at night when half of it is lit and the other half isn't.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised more people aren't talking about this shitshow. Next few days are going to suck.

On a more interesting note, I think it'll be cool to see what California will look like from high in the sky at night when half of it is lit and the other half isn't.

I'm surprised too. This is fucking crazy.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Oh come on! The cutoff line is a two minute walk from my house. 🤬

Also worth noting for outside, but close to, the projected cutoff lines: don't trust it. These are the projected boundaries of outage. This afternoon PGE were reminding county staff where I'm at that it could very well be larger than that and so the general message ought to be that all people in cities and towns projected to experience power cutoffs should prepare for outage, regardless where their address puts them on the map.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Also worth noting for outside, but close to, the projected cutoff lines: don't trust it. These are the projected boundaries of outage. This afternoon PGE were reminding county staff where I'm at that it could very well be larger than that and so the general message ought to be that all people in cities and towns projected to experience power cutoffs should prepare for outage, regardless where their address puts them on the map.

Yeah, it's worth preparing in the next couple of hours, just in case. I got my Switch, phone, etc all charged up, plus the power banks. Food-wise I just stocked up this week, most of it I can eat quick.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017

For whatever reason Marin County affected areas aren't appearing on the map. It's mostly the forested & coastal areas (Bolinas, Muir Beach, and Stinson) but also includes Mill Valley & Sausalito.