• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
A vaccine against Covid-19 is in sight, with the announcement of the first interim results in large-scale trials showing the Pfizer/BioNTech candidate is 90% effective, according to the manufacturers, whose analysis shows a much better performance than most experts had hoped for.

The high percentage of those protected makes the findings compelling. Regulators have said they would approve a vaccine that is just 50% effective – protecting half those who get it. The company says there are no serious side-effects.

"Today is a great day for science and humanity. The first set of results from our Phase 3 Covid-19 vaccine trial provides the initial evidence of our vaccine's ability to prevent Covid-19," said Dr Albert Bourla, Pfizer chairman and CEO.

"We are reaching this critical milestone in our vaccine development program at a time when the world needs it most with infection rates setting new records, hospitals nearing over-capacity and economies struggling to reopen."

The trial will continue until there have been 164 confirmed cases so there is potential for the efficacy rate to change, but a finding that 90% of infections were prevented will excite politicians and public health leaders alike and brings into view a potential end to the pandemic.

The phase 3 trials have involved more than 43,000 people. People from black and ethnic minority backgrounds appear to have been as well protected as everyone else, the company says.
Great news. More here:
www.theguardian.com

Hopes rise for end of pandemic as Pfizer says vaccine has 90% efficacy

Global stocks surge and experts optimistic as Covid vaccine exceeds expectations

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful news, this is going to be an immense undertaking to vaccinate the population but it looks like the hardest part has been successful. Now for the logistics.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
90% is quite good for a vaccine, but I fear that uptake will be low. Every bit will help, but at this point, we need to get people on board to get the vaccine as soon as it's available.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I guess Biden won't have to deal with Covid.

Alrus

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This is much earlier than anticipated, hopefully other vaccines show equivalent results so there's ample supply available and we don't have to target a specific population of patients like with the flu vaccines...

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
The Pfizer one is the 2 shots 21 days apart one, right? Logistical nightmare. Hope they have a robust plan in place

Realmatic1

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/09/health/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-effective/index.html

The so-called interim analysis looked at the first 94 confirmed cases of Covid-19 among the more than 43,000 volunteers who got either two doses of the vaccine or a placebo. It found that fewer than 10% of infections were in participants who had been given the vaccine. More than 90% of the cases were in people who had been given a placebo.

Pfizer said that the vaccine provided protection seven days after the second dose and 28 days after the initial dose of the vaccine. The final goal of the trial is to reach 164 confirmed cases of coronavirus infection.

The Phase 3 trial of the Pfizer vaccine, made with German partner BioNTech, has enrolled 43,538 particpants since July 27. As of Sunday, 38,955 of the volunteers have received a second dose of the vaccine.

If this vaccine is effective and can help bring some normalcy, 2021 may already be better than 2020.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
It will still take a year and probably even longer to vaccinate the population, this does not mean that Covid is suddenly gone. It will still be a part of our lives for the forseeable future.

Ah that's true. This just means my job will end my WFH sooner.

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
Is this the vaccine that is supposedly already in warehouses in Germany ready to distributed once approved?

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit. I can only handle so much good news at a time. Slow down, please.

90% efficacy sounds amazing.

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Is this the vaccine that is supposedly already in warehouses in Germany ready to distributed once approved?
Yes. BioNTech who developed this vaccine is based in germany and has made an exclusive contract with the german government to supply germany.

Edit: @Mods i think we shouldn't leave out BioNTech in the title which actually developed this vaccine

Oct 27, 2017
Pardon my ignorance.

I read somewhere, months ago, that any vaccine would likely only work 2-3 months and then need to be given again. Sort of like how if you develop antibodies they are only temporary. I have no idea if what I've read is still considered factual or if we've come to a better understanding of the virus since then.

For those who may have more information on the subject, is that still the belief, or is this like a series of shots and you're good to go?

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Scared to become optimistic

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
In a way, having a slow roll-out could be beneficial. It would show the vaccine's safeness and effectiveness while protecting against the most vulnerable parts of the population. It would help push back against crazy conspiracy theories.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
To put it in perspective, the MMR (measles) vaccine with a single dose is about 93% effective with the second dose making it 97% effective. Polio vaccine after two doses is 90% effective with three being close to 100%. The yearly flu shot is roughly 40-60% effective.

If this could reliably be at least 90% effective you could very well see a return to normalcy by the middle or towards the end of summer next year if production and distribution can be streamlined.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
But when will it be available? Any chance of maybe limited availability by end of this year or Januaryfor elderly and healthcare workers (I think Pfizer has said something to that effect recently)?

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Pardon my ignorance.

I read somewhere, months ago, that any vaccine would likely only work 2-3 months and then need to be given again. Sort of like how if you develop antibodies they are only temporary. I have no idea if what I've read is still considered factual or if we've come to a better understanding of the virus since then.

For those who may have more information on the subject, is that still the belief, or is this like a series of shots and you're good to go?
I belief we're still learning on this, but there is evidence that shows your body being able to fight off the infection even after antibodies have disappeared from your system through an immunorespons.

I'm no expert on the matter obviously, but it's very unlikely that you'd need to get a shot every 2 months. Yearly maybe?

Oct 27, 2017
Pardon my ignorance.

An initial vaccine may require a second shot and may need to be given again every year or so like the flu vaccine, but I've never heard anything about it needing a booster every couple of months.

Oct 27, 2017
I belief we're still learning on this, but there is evidence that shows your body being able to fight off the infection even after antibodies have disappeared from your system through an immunorespons.

I'm no expert on the matter obviously, but it's very unlikely that you'd need to get a shot every 2 months. Yearly maybe?
Thanks so much. If they can pull off like a yearly "Covid shot" that would be just wonderful!

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Still caveats around how long protection lasts and whether or not it would impede other vaccines, but as a first step to getting the most vulnerable protected and allowing countries to better control the outbreak, it's a good fucking start

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
But when will it be available? Any chance of maybe limited availability by end of this year or Januaryfor elderly and healthcare workers (I think Pfizer has said something to that effect recently)?
Sounds like they will be submitting for EUA later this month. I don't know what the approval time is after that but once approved I am sure Pfizer will begin distribution immediately. It's going to be extremely limited for few months though.

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Can only speak from germany but the government has already stored this vaccine and distribution could start within days of approval.
Other governments probably have similar plans.

Production will probably limited until the summer

Last edited: