• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
So....I don't even know what to think.

Everyone who got their booster (3rd shot of Pfizer/Moderna or 2nd shot of J&J), will have to get the Omicron shot sooner than 6 months to be safe?

Or not required? Or don't know yet?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So....I don't even know what to think.

Everyone who got their booster (3rd shot of Pfizer/Moderna or 2nd shot of J&J), will have to get the Omicron shot sooner than 6 months to be safe?

Or not required? Or don't know yet?

All this news is is that they'll have a omicron focused vaccine by March. Nothing beyond that

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Bosster is supposed to refresh the effectivness of the vaccine as it wanes over time. Even if you have gotten a 3rd shot, you will need a 4th one in 3 - 6 months anyway if the pandemic stays as it is.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
by the time this releases, practically anyone who has left their house in the new yaer would have already had omnicron. Everyone I know has gotten it in the past two weeks, and we're all fully vax/boosted.
Do you really expect the pandemic to be over before March?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'll just get the next one in March then. It'll have been 4 months since my Dec. booster and I should be ready for it by then. Can't afford to allow myself the chance to get the worst of this as all I see at work lately is customers coming in coughing everywhere. Could be the change in weather, could br something worse, not rolling the dice on that one

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
User Banned (2 Weeks): Spreading Misinformation During a Pandemic
You can really tell who doesn't get their flu shots by being confused by these "endless vaccines".

Because most of us don't need a flu vaccine as our body naturally fights it off.

It is getting a bit ridiculous having potentially 4 jabs in one year. Hopefully they'll design a stronger one that protects far more longer.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh. Can't believe the complaints here. We really don't deserve these vaccines.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Omicron is the first variant I've seen where I do think a wholesale update tailored to it for all vaccine doses produced in the future should be done.

This isn't even about boosters necessarily, it's about inevitably shifting production and administration of all doses (remember, billions haven't had a single shot) to a vaccine that's more up to date. Omicron is significantly different and evasive enough that this is warranted imo.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He said it is still not clear whether or not an omicron vaccine is needed or how it would be used, but Pfizer will have some doses ready since some countries want it ready as soon as possible.

Is that not weird? No plan or goals, just do it and we'll see what happens

besides the vaccine manufacturers and the media, shit is starting to become incredibly confusing, let's see what the CDC says.

Last edited:

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'll get one day 1 assuming it's safe to take within the timetable of my last shot

I kept putting off the booster and didn't get it till the week before Thanksgiving. I got really lucky since I think that's right before the big omicron hit started around where I live.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I thought current boosters brought everyone to a good level even with omicron, against symptoms. Pfizer should explain why this may be needed if that's not the case.

preventing infection is a separate worthy cause. I brought it up in a previous thread actually as a main weapon instead of masks against spread.

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't even about boosters necessarily, it's about inevitably shifting production and administration of all doses (remember, billions haven't had a single shot) to a vaccine that's more up to date. Omicron is significantly different and evasive enough that this is warranted imo.

The core of the problem with this is what's being done to help with equity in delivering the vaccines?

I guarantee you that these vaccines will still end up in the hands of the rich countries, while poorer countries will have to continue struggling. And thus the cycle will continue.

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
Your individual risk from Omicron is the potential harm times the probability of it occurring. For Delta, the vaccine reduced both. For Omicron, the vaccines still reduce the potential harm effectively but not the probability of catching it. An updated vaccine targeting Omicron will fix that.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like almost everyone is going to get it by the time this comes out, but good news regardless.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
The core of the problem with this is what's being done to help with equity in delivering the vaccines?

I guarantee you that these vaccines will still end up in the hands of the rich countries, while poorer countries will have to continue struggling. And thus the cycle will continue.
I agree that's a big problem, although not really related to what I'm talking about which is just the science part and why probably all vaccines being produced in the future need to be updated soon.

I don't know how to solve that problem. I've been firmly in the camp of 'let's prioritize vaccinating everyone before giving multiple rounds of boosters to everyone in rich countries' for awhile.

However for some of the developing countries it's not a question of having enough, it's a question of not enough people wanting to get them due to hesitancy, misinformation, etc. Effectively tackling that kind of barrier is a lot harder than shipping adequate doses around the world as more and more production comes online.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Well I think I'm due to get my booster in February...
So I'm probably gonna have to get a 4th one afterwards huh.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm just looking at the last page and can't believe the stupidity.

Please enlighten me on what I said was stupid, comments like yours don't have much substance unless you actually say why. I assume that's why you quoted me?

You are allowed to question the process and not be deemed as anti-vax, unfortunately quite a few in here are quick to do that.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Please enlighten me on what I said was stupid, comments like yours don't have much substance unless you actually say why. I assume that's why you quoted me?

You are allowed to question the process and not be deemed as anti-vax, unfortunately quite a few in here are quick to do that.

I don't know why anyone would want to go round and round with you over your explicitly anti-science stance and I hope nobody does

Oct 26, 2017
I agree that's a big problem, although not really related to what I'm talking about which is just the science part and why probably all vaccines being produced in the future need to be updated soon.

I don't know how to solve that problem. I've been firmly in the camp of 'let's prioritize vaccinating everyone before giving multiple rounds of boosters to everyone in rich countries' for awhile.

However for some of the developing countries it's not a question of having enough, it's a question of not enough people wanting to get them due to hesitancy, misinformation, etc. Effectively tackling that kind of barrier is a lot harder than shipping adequate doses around the world as more and more production comes online.

I mean, it is intertwined if your argument is that billions have yet to get vaccinated. The immediate roadblock to reaching that goal is pretty much the logistics of getting these vaccines into the arms of these billions. The point I was trying to make is that the science of advancements in mRNA to accommodate more variants won't matter if the same rich countries keep buying up supply for their populations. And then there's the anti-vax sentiment which requires more of a contextual approach into understand why some of these countries are so resistant (for instance, Eastern European countries are heavily anti-vax). Otherwise, you're right that this becomes a more difficult problem to tackle.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't know why anyone would want to go round and round with you over your explicitly anti-science stance and I hope nobody does

What anti science stance? I've not said anything against science.

I mentioned our immune systems fight off flu. Obviously people deemed as vulnerable then have a flu jab which is great to protect them.

Wouldn't anyone rather a stronger covid vaccine that will last longer than a few months, I know I would. I'm hoping that is something that can happen.

FirstBlood

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
A lot of people have misconceptions about flu shots that one might have thought would have been corrected post-covid but I guess not.

You get the flu shot to not only boost yourself but also prevent the spread to more vulnerable people. It's pretty simple. If everyone gets it everyone wins. The more people skip it, the worse it is for everyone.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
i feel that vaccine hesitancy (aka being an asshole) will increase over time as we have to take more shots while inevitable variants appear "out of nowhere"

smh

I don't think thats fair

I was first in line for double, and first in line for my booster

there is no way I want to keep this up every 6 months. The booster fucked me up.

At this point I'm hoping that US Army one thats being developed against multiple and future variants releases successfully soon.

Yeah now this is something I'm actually interested in. That vaccine seems to have a lot more considerations than reacting to the latest variant outbreak.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Everyone has an immune system. Everyone who has ever died of any illness has had an immune system.

Stupid fucking question. Why would anyone think you're discussing in good faith after that?

This was in relation to the flu. Most healthy people would have their immune system deal with it. Nothing more than that so stop trying to twist it into a narrative you and a few others are trying to create.

I'll leave it there, never change Era.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Not all variants take hold. It could easily take a bit more time.

Not me or a bunch of people I know.
I'm in SF Bay area and returned to WFH office and sooooo many people are out with covid or safely working with it including me. I know its anecdotal but even my kids class are half empty last week because tons of kids testing positive.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Has there been any indication that governments will use this? I thought we were supposed to be good with omnicron if we had boosters?

The boosters only work by brute forcing the number of antibodies to get 40x of them to compensate for the 10% antibody effectiveness. That boost only lasts a few months. An omicron vaccine would last probably 1-2 years against omicron because it'll have 95% efficacy so it'll still work even as antibodies reduce.

The Walter Reed kitchen sink vaccine of 24 variants is a better approach because it covers omicron and any of the other 23 variants that may mutate. Having close accuracy antibodies for all variants means no matter what mutates you maintain immunity much more.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
"why so many shots?!"

flu shots are every year, this is year 3 of a deadly pandemic killing a fuckton of people. this is us literally defending as quick as we can - ya'll really want these things to take longer, while the infection #'s keep skyrocketing?

"everyone's gonna get it though"

nah, that's eugenics, and frankly, a fascistic approach to the community around you

How so? Doesn't your body have an immune system?

why is every other strider avatar out here bringing our clan shame

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
You know... at this point if people want to pretend once a year is some crazy thing when we get flu shots every year and its great. Or pretend that a vaccine being given as a series of shots is some crazy thing, when many of our vaccines are many more doses than just one.... fuck it. You do you.

Imma get all the boosters available and boost my protection. More for me.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
So will this ultimately replace the existing Pfizer vaccine, or be an alternative to it? Bizarrely I'm excited for it either way: I've got J&J and Moderna so far. Looks like Pfizer is for sure my next with this news, and I will have the trifecta.