• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Yes we're supposed to approach every game with an open mind, give everything a fair shot, etc., but of course we don't, because we're human. In this thread, we name those things that instantly repel you from a game, even in the face of adoring fans and glowing recommendations.

For me, I'd have to say being on the DS or 3DS. Staring at the low-quality small screens strains my eyes and they hurt my hands so I hate playing games on them. I also find the touch-screen controls not fun at all.

Also, any game that attracts "waifu" discussion is an instant no.

okay, your turn.

Jayson's Rage

Oct 24, 2017
UI. Aside from all the other issues I had with Battlefield 1, the UI was like nails on a chalkboard to me. Same with Star Wars Battlefront EA. SWBFIIEA was a lot better UI-wise though.

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never did end up finishing Child of Light. I think the main reason was the shitty poetry. That game had so much else going for it, too.

Sorry, Child of Light. ={

And speaking of "Child of" games from Ubisoft: I played a significant amount of Child of Eden before finding out that it was Kinect-compatible. I watched a video of someone playing it with the Kinect and thought to myself, "That looks like fun! I'd rather play it that way. But I don't have a Kinect, and don't want to buy one. I guess I'll just never play this game again." And I never did.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018

Yep. Or fanbases that shoot down a game in order to try and prop another one up, or try and act like there game is for 'TRUE GAMERS™

'You shouldnt play that shitty cinematic god of war game, play a real action game like god hand or DMC'

Nah im good fam.

Also anything too anime. No i dont want to be playing a game were teenagers are in skimply clad outfits. Looking at you xenoblade 2

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if it's causing you pain it's not irrational, OP

I never did end up finishing Child of Light. I think the main reason was the shitty poetry. That game had so much else going for it, too.

Sorry, Child of Light. ={

oh yeah same here, the rhyming came across as a calculated attempt to be whimsical

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Microtransactions, deluxe edition and pre-order items.
I'm being called petty and irrational from time to time for not buying some of the games featuring these.
It really depends on the bonuses and the presentation though. If it's not too bad I might buy the game (like Monster hunter) or wait for a steep sale to get the deluxe edition for 90% off.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Review Score warriors who can't take a game scoring 7.5. Those were my favourite comments to moderate back in the day.

It turned me off the game itself. And that specific fan base is toxic for all related titles if they're scored low.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Fanbases that take every opportunity to put down fans of anything that's similar (SNES JRPG fans can be the worst offenders when it comes to this)

#GameTheories. They can be fun but we reached an over-saturation of them not too long ago. Earthbound and Undertale seemed to get the full brunt of them. It seems to have died down, or maybe I just frequent less annoying sites.

The defense "it gets good X hours in." Not only is that the most damning praise you can give but more often than not I have the opposite reaction, or get hooked at a different point. For example, I found FFXIII far less enjoyable when Gran Pulse happened (not that it was great before then, but you get the idea.) Just let people judge it for themselves or say "it was a slow burn for me."

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not quite sure if it's rational or not, but I've developed a really capricious sense of originality.

Example:
Original : VR stuff, Noita, Hypnospace Outlaw. These have actual original, groundbreaking stuff. Makes sense, right.

"Original": Crash Trilogy. Didn't play Crash in a very long time. I was extremely drawn into the game and loved it lots. Now that doesn't make sense.
"Original": Injustice 2. It's like Injustice 1 but done well. I love it. Doesn't make sense.

"Not original": Celeste. Just looks like Super Meat Boy to me. Like I don't see one original thing the game does. Music sounds great. I assume the controls are perfect. Visuals look pleasant to me. Yet the game repels me very much. Like I think it seems terrible, somehow. I have similar feelings about Ori and Hollow Knight regarding other Metroidvanias.

I love Dead Cells because it's like a Metroidvania but with original stuff.

Detroit also feels like a new Heavy Rain. No interest.

I am currently worried that I won't be interested in Red Dead Redemption 2 (because I currently have zero interest in that while I loved the first one).

I don't quite get it.

Last edited:

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't play any game that's purposefully designed to look like shit I played 20 years ago. Nostalgia doesn't sell me, you're not getting my time or money.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Half of my hype to play a game is dead if it has microtransactions or gaas elements. I haven't bought any game with mtx in last 1 year and only games i have bought this year so far are god of war, yakuza 6 and Sotc.
I am not boycotting them or anything it's just that i i am put off by those games. Same reason I don't have any desire to play Rdr2 anytime soon even if rdr1 is in my top 10 of all time.

CoolSuezo

Oct 27, 2017
Any kind of top-down perspective, especially if there's grids involved. There was a time when I delighted in simple strategy and god games, but I feel like that era has passed (or maybe it has just passed for me personally). I can't even entertain the idea of trying to get into a modern incarnation of either of those genres. These days, the top-down perspective is a pretty good indicator that I won't like the game in question.

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
If it's a JRPG, it has to work extra hard at story and writing to make me give it a chance, versus western made RPGs.

Like, I'm currently playing Octopath demo, and it's not doing much to sell me when I'm finding sitting through any kind of dialogue painful in it.

For that matter, unless the plot is good, don't spend much time on it please. Give me context and get outta here in those cases.

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
I'm also turned away by DS. Not because of the small screen size but because of pen/touch screen. It's fine for slower paced games like Layton but fast paced stuff is a no no. Tapping away at the screen with a hard pointy object just makes me think "I'm scratching the screen" non-stop. Feels so wrong.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Wings. If it's a prominent motif in a player character I'm just nah.

Similarly, if it's a game that features some mandatory use of magic, because magic's lame and so are those that use it.

Supau

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The "waifu" thing is a good one, I'm also completely turned off my cutesy anime. It could be the best game in the world and I'd struggle with it.

Actually just bad art in general, or art that doesn't click with me. One example that might get me some hate:

e9hnc7hqQkWCfh7OA4Q6PQ.png

Danganronpa looks kinda interesting and has huge positive impressions everywhere, I just can't do it.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Weapon durability. BoTW does so much interesting and crazy shit mechanically... couldn't get through it because I fucking hated the weapon durability that much.

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
popular/craze games suck. Fortnite for example. i mean, i get the hype and that but i just don't have the time for it. same goes for PUBG. maybe I just hate Battle Royale lol.

fanbases too. I guess MGS has good games and maybe Death Stranding will be good but I just can't stand the thought of them because of how everyone praises Kojima as some kind of gaming god. it turns me right off. I can't stand the guy. if i ever get around to playing MGSV i might actually enjoy it but his rabid fanbase has put me off even trying it so far.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
bad late 2000s "dude" american male narration puts me off sometimes, like in burnout paradise. it's just so boring and a voice I'm actively sick of

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Also, any game that attracts "waifu" discussion is an instant no.
This is me currently, and I can thank Xenoblade 2 for making me allergic to those types of games. Never had a problem with those things before, but nowadays anime stylized games with waifu-related elements is an instant turnoff for me. My brain just shuts itself off and absolutely refuses to engage with those characters and stories.

If a game sports this art style, then I want its storyline and characters to be serious and one hundred percent non-sexualised, for me to be able to take it seriously and be willing to sacrifice my scarce free time to engage with it.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I bought one of them BlazBlue games last week, took one glance at the special moves button requirements and uninstalled.
It's probably not even that complicated, I just couldn't be arsed learning.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
Waifu(fire emblem). After fates I was done. After spending weeks trying to decide who should marry who, I thought to myself, why? And the terrible plot, the split into 3 games but it was mainly the waiting.

So fire emblem is done

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
GaaS, open world, Bethesda, ubisoft, first person. Forced rpg elements

Its extremely rare that I like games that include any of the above.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont care how good the game might be, if a game is marketed with underaged/underdressed anime school girls im immediatley not interested

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I can't stand games that uses walking back to the boss as a form of punishment for dying. It's boring and it's pointless if you can simply just run through everything again.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Single player games with forced online elements are always annoying, and in general I'm sick to the back teeth of Marvel, Star Wars and LOTRs, so anything in those IPs automatically loses points

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
that one guy who made a thread about quitting Splatoon 2 because he hated the intro show

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I couldn't finish bioshock 2 because I hate how the big daddy player character has both his arms outstretched all the time. He must look like such a fool.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
user interface

could be the greatest game of all time, throw some bad UI my way i'll be hitting the esc/home button in no time. worth noting this gen it's gotten better, generally more utilitarian. but games from 5-10 years ago were pretty bad with this

Jun 30, 2018
Character animations which once started can not be canceled, this really hurts the gameplay and to me personally, it feels as if I'm disconnected from the game. Example - The evil within had a animation for its health pack, which once started would take 2-3 second to complete, your character can not move during this time and is a siting duck (Especially worse during the harder levels of the game).

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Monster hunter running animation

Anime art style unless its a game based on something I watched growing up like DBZ or Naruto.

Games that look old on purpose