• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure there was a debate regarding slavery even then so it's not like it was an unknown thing

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, thats it. The AA Museum in DC has a nice rundown of that event.

A fucking current slaveowner at the time waxing poetic and lionizing how they empathize with the struggle of Africans... Its fucking dumb
I went down a bit of a rabbit hole. Jefferson still had slaves up to the day he died in 1826. (Which he then freed upon his will.) Crazy.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously we can become morally desensitized to anything routine or that is 'just the way it is' (we have our own examples today) but to frame it as if people were legitimately naive or unaware of the moral problems of owning human lives is ridiculous and pathetic.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
The founding fathers clearly didn't think slavery was bad enough to move against it aggressively and instead allowed it to fester and metastasize for another 100 yrs in the American republic. I'd say that represents an unfortunate lack of understanding from a group who were otherwise seemingly compassionate and morally obligated toward their fellow man. Not that it should absolve them in any way of their guilt and not that I can tell from this quick clip whether that's actually Buttigieg's intent. It seems to be a clip from a larger discussion about how the Constitution is a living document and he's just using slavery as a quick, easy example.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ending slavery was literally a part of the earlier drafts of America's founding documents. This is just plain fucking ignorance.
retaining their slaves was also part of the reason the south joined the war against england in the first place. abolitionism was a stronger political movement in europe than it was in the US back then, and the rich slaveowning class was worried they would win power in parliament and abolish the practice in the colonies.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is this guy actually a cia agent
It wouldn't surprise me at all. Intelligence loves to recruit from Ivy League schools and I just saw he was a Naval Intelligence officer. He was so nice with it he was sent to Afghanistan afterwards. I don't trust this nigga for shit, he's probably bodied a lot of Black and Brown people in the name of "democracy". He and US' garbage foreign policy are another form of White Supremacy .

OP
OP
PMS341

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The founding fathers clearly didn't think slavery was bad enough to move against it aggressively and instead allowed it to fester and metastasize for another 100 yrs in the American republic. I'd say that represents an unfortunate lack of understanding from a group who were otherwise seemingly compassionate and morally obligated toward their fellow man. Not that it should absolve them in any way of their guilt and not that I can tell from this quick clip whether that's actually Buttigieg's intent. It seems to be a clip from a larger discussion about how the Constitution is a living document and he's just using slavery as a quick, easy example.
Yeah, if I think about it, not sure about his intent, but the fact that like you said, they didn't think it was bad enough to actively move against it means that ALL of the constitution should be up for reviewing and updating. These rules were created by people who thought it was OK to have slaves.

dude could also be an asshole. Unsure.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I'm not denying that Pete should have chose his words better i.e. "The people who wrote the Constitution couldn't agree that the institution of slavery should be abolished". But you can snip out stuff like that for every politician. This was a 2014 local PBS station special that maybe 10,000 people max watched that nobody cared about until we elevate it into a national primary where people can use this to enforce an existing negative narrative about Buttigieg.

I don't think that paints a full picture of his understanding of the history of slavery in 2014 and especially not now.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
"It's just a great big bowl of nonsense, but he looks confident when saying that stuff" kind of sums up the appeal and strategy of Buttigieg

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It wouldn't surprise me at all. Intelligence loves to recruit from Ivy League schools and I just saw he was a Naval Intelligence officer. He was so nice with it he was sent to Afghanistan afterwards. I don't trust this nigga for shit, he's probably bodied a lot of Black and Brown people in the name of "democracy". He and US' garbage foreign policy are another form of White Supremacy .
He's not a CIA officer. He deployed to Afghanistan for 6 months as a Naval reservist, working in the Afghan Threat Finance Cell. He didn't "body" anyone. His deployment seems a lot like mine: mundane, relatively speaking.

Even if there is somehow a nuanced point buried there, Pete already lost the benefit of the doubt months ago and has actually made zero strides towards addressing it. It also shows a fundamental ability to miss the forest for the trees: slavery is never a "quick, easy example" even if it's illustrative towards the idea of a Constitution as a living document.

Is it possible for someone to have negative support among black voters while also achieving solid polling in Iowa?

Dude's like the Jameis Winston of Democratic nominees.

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017
This will definitely help him with black voters
VA8ZCQP.jpg

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it makes sense he's talking to a bunch of disinterested kids because this is kind of empty analysis you'd hear in high school.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, this is totally false.

There were a number of founders who opposed slavery, such as Benjamin Franklin and Alexander Hamilton.

Moreover, many slave owners at that time thought slavery was a 'necessary evil' that would die out in 30 years (this didn't work out thanks to the cotton gin and industrialization)

Oct 28, 2017
Admit ignorance, learn and move on. How he didnt seem to know is not suprising. Most Americans probably think the Founders wanted all people vote when in fact they only allowed wealthy land holding white men.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This reminds me of Jordan Peterson using some historical revisionism and saying Hitler didn't really hate the Jews all that much he was just trying to appease the crowds.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Only 16 out of the 57 signers never owned slaves, so 71% of the signers owned slaves at one point or another. They also constantly talked about how bad slavery was but there was nothing they could do about(which is BS), so they knew it was bad.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Holy fuck bro, this is evil but I love raping women and not having to work my land. I hope someone does something about this!" -- America's Founding Geniuses

Oct 26, 2017
That is a really bad way of saying the constitution was written by many people who did not value the lives of black people

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
Pete needs to read a history book. The founders kicked the slavery issue down the road so they didn't have to deal with it. They knew it could cause something as horrific as a civil war.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
John Adams literally warned the other Founders that the spectre of slavery would come back to haunt the US in a hundred years, and he was only off by ten. What rubbish.

EDIT: Not to mention Thomas Paine, the dude who helped kickstart the Revolution with Common Sense, was also one of the few founders who wasn't a massive hypocrite and thought slavery should be abolished on moral grounds. Even Aaron Burr thought slavery was evil.

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I'll say personally is that this sounds like something he's saying to appease moderates who have been taught to hold the founding fathers in high regards and not necessarily something he believes himself

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Pete has finally made it to my shitlist. Originally, I thought of him as an intelligent, but not exciting candidate. Now I think of him as mostly stupid, corrupt, and not at all a good representation of the generations he claims to speak for.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Really interesting how growing up I missed the point that slavery was always a problem in America, to the end that if it was abolished, we wouldn't have a union. Really just sucks that they always knew it was bad, or that black people aren't less than human, but still didn't fight to change it.

Not making excuses for the founding fathers who basically said, "Yes it's a problem, but not one I want to fix in my lifetime.". I can tell they definitely believed that the creation of America was more important than the black Americans who helped create it. Kind of reminds me of the stigma attached to many people who say that they want to see the world changed, but aren't willing to change their lifestyle or go vote in order to make steps towards that goal.

I've got nothing to add about the OP or Pete Buttigieg that hasn't already been said in this thread.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Smart enough to found the most powerful democracy in the world, not smart enough to realize enslaving people is morally wrong

Sounds legit

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah I stopped giving him the benefit of the doubt a while ago

Buttigeg doesn't have a blind spot with African American issues. He knowingly works to whitewash them and would undermine the work of activists if given more power than he deserves.

He has closed door fundraisers with wealthy donors. What made you think he cares about constituents at all?? Minorities will be the first under the bus.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
lol at the flimsy defenses being thrown up here. Don't even bother, this is a garbage take through and through.

Dude is a terrible candidate to represent the Democratic Party, but perfect for lily-white Indiana. He can stay there.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
pete is totally the candidate to make certain voters feel good about themselves if you know what i mean