The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen him with a beard?

He's not that interesting. But personally I don't think any of them are all that interesting except maybe Vega.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
True but simplicity can only get you so far. Charcters like Jin,Kazuya,Scorpion have evolved as charcters since the 90s while Ryu sadly hasn't
It is a bit funny to imagine if Scorpion stayed the same design like Ryu did.

To answer the question, Capcom isn't interested in doing anything interesting with the SF storyline which is why you get Ryu saving the day against Bison.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
His perpetual struggle with the Dark Hado makes him one of the most interesting of the cast, plus he's an icon, plus he's my main, plus he's the best fighting game character of all time... eva!

So yu rong OP

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
It is a bit funny to imagine if Scorpion stayed the same design like Ryu did.

To answer the question, Capcom isn't interested in doing anything interesting with the SF storyline which is why you get Ryu saving the day against Bison.
I do think SF's story has potential but it is underutilised

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
street-fighter-iii-ryu-1-2.jpg
street-fighter-iii-ryu-2-2.jpg

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
He has the best stage music (and the most iconic one, yes, better than Guile's)

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
As an artist I found his focus for constant self improvement to be very motivating, at least up til 3S.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
It took Capcom quite a while to add a central storyline to Ryu. SNK had already Terry and Andy Bogard and Ryo Sakazaki.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
any character that gets an EVIL/SHADOW version is boring as hell and this is one way they try to make it "more complex" (it never works the evil characters are as bland and boring)

And yes this includes Pit and Link

don't @ me

Original street fighter wasnt really an oasis of interesting characters.... in fact i would say interesting characters in street fighter wouldnt appear till alpha

don't @ me again

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
His simplicity and goodie-two-shoe-ness is what makes him appealing to folks. He's not Ken. He's not flashy, or trying to wow anyone (including the player) with gimmicks.
He's all about the fundamentals and hard work, both in his fighting style, and his personality.

All of those other weirdos and flashy characters are there to please you, OP.

He's also the most popular.

So OP, I understand what you're saying. He has appeal, though, and is a foil for many other weirdos.

I've always considered Chun Li the face of the franchise, beginning with 2. If my SNES box art memory holds up, she's kicking Blanka.

She's on the Japanese one too, close up. #Chun4Smash

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He is like Mario, he doesn't need to be interesting, just iconic, and he does an amazing job at that, even if Capcom isn't my favorite fg developer, I would still pick him as the mascot of the genre

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
any character that gets an EVIL/SHADOW version is boring as hell and this is one way they try to make it "more complex" (it never works the evil characters are as bland and boring)

And yes this includes Pit and Link

don't @ me

Original street fighter wasnt really an oasis of interesting characters.... in fact i would say interesting characters in street fighter wouldnt appear till alpha

don't @ me again
I like Dark Pit...

Nymphae

Apr 3, 2018
It's funny, I think OP isn't exactly wrong, but I was thinking about Ryu the other day too and thought that he has a really excellent design, and Ken is a fantastic foil for Ryu. A simple and iconic look and colour scheme, with the most fundamental and effective moves at his disposal. I think he represents the true essence of Street Fighter - less flash than the other guys but a dedication to the fundamentals of fighting games.

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Ryu's simplicity is what makes him appealing
Basically.

Most of the OG cast (8+4) is pretty much "meh" anyway. I mean they're great designs and all but as characters they're not really that interesting. And they're not supposed to be either.

The most interesting among those are probably the Tarzan-beast green dude and of course your average USAF guy whose sidekick was killed by the baddies. Wooooo.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is how much can you develop a guy when you aren't willing to move a story past the fucking 90s?

All the other games are constantly progressing their stories and developing their characters, flimsy as they are. Street Fighter is constricted by not wanting to go any further past III.

MachGao

Oct 28, 2017
Personally, I think Ryu's simple design and nature work for him. It makes him iconic even if he isnt that interesting. Plus at the time he was created, it's not like he had any competition in that department. He did have development throughout the series. and I really liked him in the SF Alpha and Ryu Final mangas.

The problem SF has is that capcom didnt really care about its plot lines as much as Tekken, Fatal Fury, KoF, and other fighters did. I would say SF5 was their first real shot at trying a legit story and even that had issues like skipping over just how Ryu conquered the dark hadou

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay-wise, Ryu isn't supposed to be too "tricky". There isn't supposed to be too many complicated moves in his employ with too many options. He's the entry-level character; the simple character you start out with that only has enough options for you to learn SOME versatility without scaring you with too much technical jargon.

Story wise, his personality kinda fits his motivation and his goals. He's focused, minimalist, and determined. He doesn't really have to be a flashy snarky kinda guy to get that across.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He want from least interesting to least interesting but at least he's handsome with bearded version.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The most interesting characters are almost never the main characters.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dude wanders around the world barefoot. Imagine the only thing interesting about you isn't your obsessive need to get stronger, but rather your horrible case of athlete's foot. Hot Ryu/Bearded Ryu was the best thing they did for the character in forever but it's stuck as DLC and not his main skin.

circuit

Oct 27, 2017
When SF2 came out I considered him to basically be a cool ninja, probably because of Ryu Hayabusa in Ninja Gaiden. The main characters in other fighting games may have personalities presented more like actual humans, but really that's nothing compared to a stereotypical generic martial artist / ninja. Wasn't my favourite character, but easy for me to see him as the main character.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I mean yeah,

When Zangief started he was a goofy wrestler who liked alcohol. Now he's still a goofy wrestler, but also a national hero who does exhibition tour circuits.

Ken started out as Ryu, but flashy cause American. Now he's a CEO of a company and dedicated family man

Chun Li has gone form beat cop to Interpol agent to Orphanage matron

Cody's gone from being a vigilante to being framed and arrested, to street fighting, to perpetual prisoner to New Mayor

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, bear with me.

The point of Ryu is that he is everything the others aren't. He has no particular quest, even back when Gouken was dead he didn't particularly care to hunt down Akuma. He doesn't care for fame (SF2 ending) or money or anything very much but his own improvement. In that way he embodies the romantic ideal of the samurai spirit, and through that the Japanese ideal. He's unburdened by distractions so he can focus entirely on his art. He has friends that he cares for but he's not tied down by them. He's ascetic, righteous, chaste, generous, basically friendly to anyone unless they wrong someone. He has a philosophical side seen in many win quotes, and he often encourages others to better themselves even if he is too humble and too preoccupied to actually take a student. He is very much a Musashi Miyamoto (who is the quintessential samurai stereotype), just without the sword.

I know quite a few martial artists and it seems that being dedicated to a martial art tends to give you those qualities. It would be very out of character for him to be petty or angry or vengeful. His only flaw is the trap they introduced through "magic" with Satsui no Hadou, but this was just to add some drama. Because someone who lives happily doing his thing will have very little actual drama. By nature he won't drive a plot, but he can still be drawn into it simply be being an extraordinary human that others want to use for whatever purpose.

It's actually more common to deconstruct an archetype nowadays, so I appreciate that Ryu is actually genuine and that they closed the door on that Evil Ryu crap. He is still interesting.

Nov 2, 2017
I mean, Ryu represents the essence of what SF is supposed to be. Understanding why he's as "generic" as he is shouldn't be hard. I find it curious that someone wouldn't identify in any way with the ideal the character represents, actually.

I mean yeah,

When Zangief started he was a goofy wrestler who liked alcohol. Now he's still a goofy wrestler, but also a national hero who does exhibition tour circuits.

Ken started out as Ryu, but flashy cause American. Now he's a CEO of a company and dedicated family man

Chun Li has gone form beat cop to Interpol agent to Orphanage matron

Dude, I'm talking characterization. In that sense, these characters haven't changed an iota.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Okay, bear with me.

The point of Ryu is that he is everything the others aren't. He has no particular quest, even back when Gouken was dead he didn't particularly care to hunt down Akuma. He doesn't care for fame (SF2 ending) or money or anything very much but his own improvement. In that way he embodies the romantic ideal of the samurai spirit, and through that the Japanese ideal. He's unburdened by distractions so he can focus entirely on his art. He has friends that he cares for but he's not tied down by them. He's ascetic, righteous, chaste, generous, basically friendly to anyone unless they wrong someone. He has a philosophical side seen in many win quotes, and he often encourages others to better themselves even if he is too humble and too preoccupied to actually take a student. He is very much a Musashi Miyamoto (who is the quintessential samurai stereotype), just without the sword.

I know quite a few martial artists and it seems that being dedicated to a martial art tends to give you those qualities. It would be very out of character for him to be petty or angry or vengeful. His only flaw is the trap they introduced through "magic" with Satsui no Hadou, but this was just to add some drama. Because someone who lives happily doing his thing will have very little actual drama. By nature he won't drive a plot, but he can still be drawn into it simply be being an extraordinary human that others want to use for whatever purpose.

It's actually more common to deconstruct an archetype nowadays, so I appreciate that Ryu is actually genuine and that they closed the door on that Evil Ryu crap. He is still interesting.

Musashi was well known for his trickery, and utter willingness to do anything to win, in spite of his complete desire to always improve. He was well orunded and did not believe even slightly in just refining one art but several and to mix and match them.

Ryu is no Musashi.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Dude, I'm talking characterization. In that sense, these characters haven't changed an iota.

Ken was always fight first and fight flashy.

Ken has very clearly since then become much more reserved and more focused on what's best for his family. Sure, he's still flashy, but there's a clear difference between how current ken acts compared to bachelor ken.

Cody's gone through so many changes in persona. From idealistic to utter apathy to business like but clearly constrained in his latest instance.

I'll give you Chun Li and Gief, but folks have changed.

Hell. the biggest example is probably current Sakura

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, bear with me.

I like your take on him.

Nov 2, 2017
Okay, bear with me.

Great post. Well said.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Guile, the muscley USAF major, is more of an everyman than Ryu, the man who's wandering and exploring the world alone his whole life?
The military man with a wife and daughter who worries about him and his dangerous fight to make the world a better place is definitely more everyman than the mystic hobo with a evil side who's been to every country on the planet.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Like you could supplant Guile's character arc into a Call of Duty and nobody would blink.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
A simple and fun to play fundamental character isn't necessarily a bad thing. A bit of mundane can be relaxing.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah? Ken's story is far more interesting to be honest, though not by a whole lot.

If we're talking about the most interesting Street Fighter character, I think I'll swing for Cammy. I think she has the most potential to be honest.

Nov 2, 2017
Ken was always fight first and fight flashy.

Ken has very clearly since then become much more reserved and more focused on what's best for his family. Sure, he's still flashy, but there's a clear difference between how current ken acts compared to bachelor ken.

Cody's gone through so many changes in persona. From idealistic to utter apathy to business like but clearly constrained in his latest instance.

I'll give you Chun Li and Gief, but folks have changed.

Hell. the biggest example is probably current Sakura

Ken's characterization is "More reserved" in SFV?

The long-haired blonde dude that rocks a cowboy hat and tux as his alternate costume?

You do realize the characterization of a character is different from the behind the scenes narrative of a character, right? One is the onscreen persona represented during gameplay and the other is offscreen drama that rarely affects the other in some dramatic way in fighting games. The SF2 cast hasn't changed at all.

And it's the SF2 cast that I'm mostly concerned with, because those are the icons. Capcom will likely never change them too much in an effort to play the nostalgia card.

Okay, bear with me.

Well said and I agree with pretty much everything.

Again, to me, Ryu is living the dream we all wish we could: he has nothing to tie him down so he can literally get up and go anywhere at the drop of a dime and is content to simply travel with what he can carry. I would love to travel the world at any given time just because.