• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Or maybe people simply can't finish a long-ass (bloated) game like Persona 5 and think that portability would really help.

Lord knows that's my case.

That's pretty much the boat I'm in. I've got a gaming PC and a Switch and lately I've pretty much regulated my gaming PC to shorter games (<30 hours) and games that can be played over and over (DOTA, Civilization, etc . . .).

I've been so tempted to pick up Dragon Quest XI on PC as it's one of my favorite series, but I really want to experience everything the game has to offer and I can't help but feel I'd get partway through it on PC and I'd be too busy to sit down at my PC in finish it, eventually causing a loss of interest. Switch is much better suited to short sessions and makes longer games easier to stomach.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean, both yes and no? Nintendo gave Sakurai a list and Sakurai chose 5 from it. It's still entirely possible that the DLC is just DLC and not required to be related to any marketing ploy.
To be specific, Sakurai made sure that the characters could actually be made. The wording of the tweet implies nothing of him having a preference in the decisions. You do have a point about marketing, though.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Why are claiming it's a ps4 exclusive despite the fact that it hasn't been confirmed?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

*Me after reading through your post history*

Dude just chill out :)
Even if (and that's a big if) there's no Switch version you could still play it on your PS4. I mean portability is nice and all, but I think it shouldn't be the sole deciding factor in whether a lengthy game is enjoyable or not.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
imagine if it also comes on the PS3.

I mean its unlikely as fuck, but hey, its Atlus.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, both yes and no? Nintendo gave Sakurai a list and Sakurai chose 5 from it. It's still entirely possible that the DLC is just DLC and not required to be related to any marketing ploy.
That's where I stand than this is anything other than Nintendo and Sakurai choosing joker. Maybe Persona 5 will come to the switch but I still doubt it and haven't seen anything to change my mind.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sounds like Nintendo worked out preliminary deals with third parties and once Sakurai chose a character, Nintendo signed the deal. makes me wonder if there were other Sega/Atlus characters to choose from, like Nanashi, Flynn, Demi-Fiend

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Persona = PlayStation
SMT = Nintendo (except III)
Spinoffs don't count.
It's possible Nintendo chose Joker because he might make a cameo in SMTV or they wanted a SMT representative and he is the most popular character in the series (yeah more than Demifiend)

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It would be amazing if they got another crack at the localization of P5 on a remaster.

I'm not holding my breath, but that game really deserved better, and a more natural translation would improve the overall quality immensely. I thought P5 was great, but the game and the actors were held back by an unpolished localization.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Atlus is such a tease. Here's hoping March reveals release date/price/etc. as well as what is new in the game.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just find it hilarious some people were celebrating the idea of a Persona 5 Switch exclusive but are suddenly concerned about the financial profitability of the game and pro consumer practices since it was announced for Playstation.
This never happened.
People were not "celebrating" a potential Switch exclusive, they were happy to play it the game at all on Switch/ on a portable.

Selective memory and confirmation bias off the charts in here.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This never happened.
People were not "celebrating" a potential Switch exclusive, they were happy to play it the game at all on Switch/ on a portable.

Honestly people were, and I couldn't understand it either.

Although as always it's just some people, there's such a range of normal and weird opinions on Era so there's always some people saying that. Then people blow it up as if it's representative of the whole forum.

Oct 25, 2017
This never happened.

Well, you're right about selective memory and confirmation bias at least. There absolutely were people celebrating a potential exclusive and there were plenty of comments about "looking forward to the tears" etc. To suggest otherwise is some nonsense. Doesn't excuse the gloating that came afterwards mind, it's annoying as fuck on both sides.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This never happened.

Oh please i can link people who very specifically said that they want it to be exclusive for their "entertainment"

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This never happened.

It did happen. Plenty of people were saying how they can't wait for the shitstorm and/or tears if a Switch exclusive happened. Let's not lie now.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
This never happened.

What??
This never happened.

Yeah. No.

We have a very healthy Nintendo community on Era. The good and bad come with it.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
EOX is coming as Etrian Odyssey Nexus in February. PQ2 has not been announced for localization. I wouldn't expect an EO Switch to be a 2019 release, but a reveal is definitely possible.
EOX is described as having "four difficulty settings" and choice "between custom and a standalone story mode".
Is this the same as what happened with the Untold games, with the Classic and Story Modes?

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this again, cause why not:
There is a Persona 5 version coming to Switch. I expect to see it announced by April, but presumably before then.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Going by their other posts there is no source and this is just their opinion.

Anyway y'all, debating this is exhausting and we're going round and round in circles. No one really knows anything. I'll say my piece, then I'm done with this thread, and with P5R/S/T/U/V discussions until we have anything concrete in hand:
  • More than one game
  • Definitely coming to PlayStation (duh)
  • Persona 5 is also coming to Switch, imo, but the announcement tonight was not for it
  • We don't... actually... know... what P5R is
I'm glad it exists, whatever it is, and if it is a P5 expansion, re-release, or proper sequel, I'll be there no matter where it comes out.

I guess something could have changed though. Several "insiders" on the board have heard something that makes them completely sure there is a switch version but they don't share it.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
For those who have played older Persona games, if R is some type of upgraded version, what does that typically entail? New environments? Dungeons? Characters?

Apr 9, 2018
For those who have played older Persona games, if R is some type of upgraded version, what does that typically entail? New environments? Dungeons? Characters?
Persona 4 Golden added 2 new social links (and associated personas), one of which led to a bonus postgame sequence and dungeon if you maxed it out. also a bunch of qol and minor features.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
This never happened.

I love how people even try to claim that the Switch fanbase is NOT completely bonkers right now about existing/possible exclusive titles.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I hope P5 R is not just a fighting game based on P5. I would love for it to be a FES style enhanced game with a butt load of added content. Native Pro support like 4K or even a 1080p/60 FPS (even though FPS is not that important for this game) would be highly appreciated as well.

I wouldn't mind at all if this gets announced for other devices as well, more people need to play P5.

Nachos

Oct 26, 2017
  • More content; the original skipped over a few months near the end, but Golden fleshed that period out
  • New events peppered throughout the game (even if the fanbase is divided on some)
  • New battle theme; old one plays when you ambush an enemy
  • Two new social links (one for an entirely new character)
  • New dungeon tied to one of the links
  • Pretty sure more personas were added for the links that were already there
  • Allowed you to pick which skills your persona fusions would inherit (it was random before)
  • Added skill cards
  • Some boss fights were rebalanced
  • 3rd evolution for party member Personas
  • Parts of the UI were changed
And probably more I'm forgetting. It was a pretty beefy update.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I hope P5 R is not just a fighting game based on P5. I would love for it to be a FES style enhanced game with a butt load of added content. Native Pro support like 4K or even a 1080p/60 FPS (even though FPS is not that important for this game) would be highly appreciated as well.

I wouldn't mind at all if this gets announced for other devices as well, more people need to play P5.
The trailer said "New Projects", so I guess multiple games is one of the few things that's actually confirmed right now. :P

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer said "New Projects", so I guess multiple games is one of the few things that's actually confirmed right now. :P
which makes me question that very idea that "p5r" is one game and makes me think it is a blanket title for all of the individual things they are going to announce (think "compilation of final fantasy vii")

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
which makes me question that very idea that "p5r" is one game and makes me think it is a blanket title for all of the individual things they are going to announce (think "compilation of final fantasy vii")
Yeah, that's what I think as well. P5R is the umbrella for a bunch of games they'll release, and we got other web domain registrations for those: P5U, P5AG, P5B, P5S, P5M (or a subset of those). But if there's smoke, there is fire, so that enhanced version and that fighting game are definitely coming. ;)

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Going by their other posts there is no source and this is just their opinion.

I guess something could have changed though. Several "insiders" on the board have heard something that makes them completely sure there is a switch version but they don't share it.

All these "insiders" have been constantly wrong again and again. (Still waiting on Starfox GP and Metroid Prime HD Trilogy)

Any shmuck could see Joker in Smash Ultimate and put two and two together about P5 coming to Switch. That reminds me, why didn't any of these "insiders" predict Joker's Smash appearance?

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Persona 4 Golden added 2 new social links (and associated personas), one of which led to a bonus postgame sequence and dungeon if you maxed it out. also a bunch of qol and minor features.

It also added a whole extra month to play in (January), which made it possible to max every S.Link on one playthru without following a guide.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
All these "insiders" have been constantly wrong again and again. (Still waiting on Starfox GP and Metroid Prime HD Trilogy)

Any shmuck could see Joker in Smash Ultimate and put two and two together about P5 coming to Switch. That reminds me, why didn't any of these "insiders" predict Joker's Smash appearance?

They
Never
Saw
It
Coming

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll say this again, cause why not:
There is a Persona 5 version coming to Switch. I expect to see it announced by April, but presumably before then.

Yah I 100% am still taking the Smash announcement as foreshadowing. Just hope if it comes to Switch that Switch doesn't get kind of vanilla version that is different than the expanded version. For some reason I've been thinking this would be a great way that the rumor is true but would still sting.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'd be pretty disappointed if P5R didn't come to Switch because without portability there's little to no incentive to double dip. I'd rather just replay it on NG+.

It would certainly be an interesting move on Nintendo's part to put Joker in Smash without a Switch port, though.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest change for me was the ability to actually walk around and explore town - the original Persona 4 you teleported to where you wanted to go to, in P4G the town was a connected world you could walk through.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's what I think as well. P5R is the umbrella for a bunch of games they'll release, and we got other web domain registrations for those: P5U, P5AG, P5B, P5S, P5M (or a subset of those). But if there's smoke, there is fire, so that enhanced version and that fighting game are definitely coming. ;)
This will be a controversial opinion but I wouldn't mind if one of those projects was Persona 5-2 now with the adult version of P5 cast.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Added content like new event scenes, new dungeons, new characters for the main party, more branches to the social elements of the game and often they add expanded game time (The game runs on a calender system, and both the P3 and P4 re-releases added 1 extra playable month, normally the games go from April to December, but the re-releases added January to playable time too), which makes maxing out and seeing all possible social events in a single play through more easy.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would never happen, but how awesome would it be to start P5r in NG+ with a completed Persona 5 save instead of having to start over?