• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Finally. Gonna be a very busy February for my Switch between this and 3D World+.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
My P5 playthrough was like 100 hours.
Royal took me 126 hours and i'll admit that during the last 25 hours, I felt exhausted with it, which is funny because the end/third semester are excellent.

Still loved the game and the timing of it during quarantine couldn't have been more perfect

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I'm going to ask a really silly question but since I'm a Switch owner only, I haven't and can't play Persona 5 unfortunately. I still would like to play Personal 5 Scramble however, it's a sequel. Does Scramble spoil anything from Persona 5 and if I can't play Persona 5, would you recommend the anime or should I just keep waiting and hoping that one day Persona 5 will come to other platforms?

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to ask a really silly question but since I'm a Switch owner only, I haven't and can't play Persona 5 unfortunately. I still would like to play Personal 5 Scramble however, it's a sequel. Does Scramble spoil anything from Persona 5 and if I can't play Persona 5, would you recommend the anime or should I just keep waiting and hoping that one day Persona 5 will come to other platforms?
Based on the demo, there will certainly be spoilers in Scramble.

Also, super pumped this is actually going to come out here! I was losing faith...

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Does the PS4 pro "Graphics" option run at a variable 60fps? Or is it a locked 30?

If it's variable, that'd be perfect and you wouldn't really need a PS5 remaster considering it would then run at 4k/60 through bc

EDIT: It does, 1440p-2160p in Graphics mode at 60fps, so it'll presumably stick to the higher bounds more often on PS5.

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
As with most anime adaptations of games, the anime is more enjoyable if you've played the game, and really isn't a comparable alternative.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

watchmens1e7-gif76jk2.gif

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Persona 5 tier except the ideas are even more done to death :(

What if...looking at your phone all the time...was bad??? :o

Idk, I think I went in hoping for it to be more like a traditional Musou cross-over game, at least somewhat, and it's really not that. Outside of boss fights, combat never really lasts more than 15-20 seconds so I never got into the flow of it? You hop in, it spawns an encounter, you clear the encounter, you return to progressing through the level. There's also no post-game grind for weapons or unlocks like there is in say, Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, etc.
Wow, I should have figured. I guess the best I could hope for is that the party is generally more likeable than they were in Persona 5.

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
Anyone who played this already willing to speak on the quality of the story? Is it Persona 5 tier (interesting ideas but ultimately disappointing in its execution and too long for its own good) or better? Worse?

Scramble is essentially a sequel. The story is all all right for a musou game they put a lot of effort, it's about 25/30 hrs.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is gonna have quite the busy Q1 for me if the February date is true. Though I might wait a bit with a purchase so soon after AoC.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Well, an announcement followed by release 2-3 months later is the best we could hope for at this point, otherwise we'd be looking at a mid-2021 release by Atlus standards.

Even with Covid, this has been a long localization. We haven't had to wait a year for SMT releases for quite a while (P3 maybe?).

Sep 4, 2019
Anyone who played this already willing to speak on the quality of the story? Is it Persona 5 tier (interesting ideas but ultimately disappointing in its execution and too long for its own good) or better? Worse?
It's a spin-off, so it doesn't have the wealth of side content P5 has and has a much more linear style of story progression, so the pacing is much tighter as you don't have to spend time waiting for deadlines to close. It's less than half the length of the original game and takes place over a shorter period of time.

I think in general it's better than P5 at developing its themes while telling an engaging story and it has a much stronger second half than the original game which I always felt got far too caught up in the big picture that it lost the emotional core that made the game investing to begin with. In some places it feels a bit like course correction for P5 with changes of hearts being reframed and a lot less of the kids rule adult drool stuff, which is helped by the new adult party member, who is great.

Persona 5 tier except the ideas are even more done to death :(

What if...looking at your phone all the time...was bad??? :o
I really don't know how you took that to be the premise.

I really don't recommend playing Scramble without experiencing P5 first. It assumes you know and care about the characters and there's only the bare minimum explaining of stuff that a person who's played P5 will know. If you've got no way of playing P5, then I suggest at least watching a let's play or the anime, or waiting for a port.

Does the PS4 pro "Graphics" option run at a variable 60fps? Or is it a locked 30?

If it's variable, that'd be perfect and you wouldn't really need a PS5 remaster considering it would then run at 4k/60 through bc
It's 60, but for what it's worth, it was actually a constant 60 on graphics mode even on PS4 Pro. I think the two graphics modes are only really there for base PS4. The real PS5 improvement will be the load times.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
It's a spin-off, so it doesn't have the wealth of side content P5 has and has a much more linear style of story progression, so the pacing is much tighter as you don't have to spend time waiting for deadlines to close. It's less than half the length of the original game and takes place over a shorter period of time.

I think in general it's better than P5 at developing its themes while telling an engaging story and it has a much stronger second half than the original game which I always felt got far too caught up in the big picture that it lost the emotional core that made the game investing to begin with. In some places it feels a bit like course correction for P5 with changes of hearts being reframed and a lot less of the kids rule adult drool stuff, which is helped by the new adult party member, who is great.
That's really encouraging to hear! I will give it a shot at some point down the line because the gameplay looks fun and I hope the story ends up reinvigorating my interest in the persona franchise.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Holy shit, finally

Think I'm gonna pass up on Age of Calamity and wait for this so I don't get Musuo fatigue

Sep 4, 2019
I mean, the third time they showed a group of people walking forward aimlessly staring at their phones like zombies right after I fought Big Tech it definitely seemed to be trying to make a not-subtle point.
But that's just an extreme metaphor for people mindlessly accepting answers, obviously nothing like EMMA actually exists in reality and the game knows that so I think it's strange to read that scene literally. The game definitely has some critique of our relationship with technology but I see Sophia as the game saying the existence of technology isn't the problem, it's our relationship with it and the sustitution of external answers for your own is the problem and big tech is complicit in that.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
But that's just an extreme metaphor for people mindlessly accepting answers, obviously nothing like EMMA actually exists in reality and the game knows that so I think it's strange to read that scene literally. The game definitely has some critique of our relationship with technology but I see Sophia as the game saying the existence of technology isn't the problem, it's our relationship with it and the sustitution of external answers for your own is the problem and big tech is complicit in that.

What're your impressions on the gameplay? Are you generally a musou person? Was the game as big as like a Hyrule Warriors or other Warriors games in terms of side quests and stuff to do when the game is done or was it mainly just the campaign?

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What're your impressions on the gameplay? Are you generally a musou person? Was the game as big as like a Hyrule Warriors or other Warriors games in terms of side quests and stuff to do when the game is done or was it mainly just the campaign?

The game is nowhere near as big as another Warriors game - the game is the structure of a Persona game and it substitutes small-scale Musou encounters for random JRPG encounters. There's a little more parkour through the overworlds. There are no larger "map battle" modes.

Sep 4, 2019
Only musou I've played is Hyrule Warriors and I thought it was alright. P5S is completely different from that; it's much closer to P5's dungeons but with musou combat and the occasional sea of enemies. There's no map control or running from enemies to prioritize others like HW had, it plays out like P5 where there are partolling enemies and you enter encounters with them, target weaknesses, and go back to exploring the dungeon. I don't think I'd recommend it to a musou fan expecting a musou. There's no adventure mode like in HW and most of the side missions are very basic (usually stuff like "go back to this dungeon and beat 20 of this enemy").

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Is this picking up for someone who has never played a Persona title? I love the musou combat style per my experience with Hyrule Warriors + DQ Heroes and enjoy JRPGS, so I think the gameplay will be a good fit but am unsure how it'll be jumping in story-wise.

Nov 21, 2017
Hell yeah I been waiting for this to get a release date. Maybe an official announcement will take place at The Game Awards.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much Age of Calamity had to do with this and if Switch is getting the English version.

Is this picking up for someone who has never played a Persona title? I love the musou combat style per my experience with Hyrule Warriors + DQ Heroes and enjoy JRPGS, so I think the gameplay will be a good fit but am unsure how it'll be jumping in story-wise.

It's literally a sequel to Persona 5. I don't think that should dissuade you from playing it, but yeah, I think it takes place a few months after the end of P5 (have sort of stayed blind to things so I'm not sure if any of the Royal stuff is a factor)

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I wonder how much Age of Calamity had to do with this and if Switch is getting the English version.

It's literally a sequel to Persona 5. I don't think that should dissuade you from playing it, but yeah, I think it takes place a few months after the end of P5 (have sort of stayed blind to things so I'm not sure if any of the Royal stuff is a factor)
Switch is getting an English version is the leaked box art is real.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Yeah it's a direct sequel to P5 (but not Royal?)

The anime is not ideal as there are pacing and animation issues, but you would get the gist of the story and it can also pretty fun.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Yeah it's a direct sequel to P5 (but not Royal?)

The anime is not ideal as there are pacing and animation issues, but you would get the gist of the story and it can also pretty fun.

pretty sure Royal counts as well? Why wouldn't it. Also who says they won't add some Royal clarity in the global version?

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
pretty sure Royal counts as well? Why wouldn't it. Also who says they won't add some Royal clarity in the global version?
Its one the biggest reason I'm not 99-100% hyped tbh, they should've waited until Royal's JPN launch for explicite inclusion instead of having the fandom figure out whether or not vanilla or Royal are truly canon to P5S.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Its one the biggest reason I'm not 99-100% hyped tbh, they should've waited until Royal's JPN launch for explicite inclusion instead of having the fandom figure out whether or not vanilla or Royal are truly canon to P5S.

Yeah it is pretty ridiculous that royal and scramble didn't work together despite being developed at the same time.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
This and Age of Calamity are going to be my first Musou games probably. I'm more excited about this than AoC because it seems closer to actual P5 gameplay. The turn-based battles worked in P5, but if this takes the other trappings of Persona like social links and combines it with an action-based battle system, I feel like it could be really fun for me

Does this game have the wandering around day-to-day gameplay and social links?

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

I'm perpetually in a state of P5 withdrawal, but I don't have the time for a Persona 5 Royal playthrough currently -- P5:S is the perfect compromise!

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Heh, I remember being really excited for this at the beginning of the year. Then the pandemic hit, news regarding the Western release dried up, and I kind of forgot it even existed. Still looking forward to playing it when it comes out, and early 2021 is probably a good spot for it since it gives me some more time to finish up some of these late 2020 games.