• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
FemC would be a complete rewrite of so many scenes. This seems purely additive.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so Royal does not add FeMC or gay relationship options?!?
They kept the homophobic scenes and added even more questionable stuff in regards to one of the rape victims from the first arc.

Idk why people thought that Atlus of all companies would even entertain the idea of adding gay relationships to this game when it's very clear how they view the LGBT community. The writing was on the wall after Catherine Full Body imo.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has - at best - surface level understanding of Japanese culture, I can't wrap my head around the seemingly rampant homophobia that gets called out again and again. To me, what would be considered "effeminate" in the west is the norm for the cis male ideal in Japanese teen/youth culture. I would almost go as far to say that an andronygous look is seemingly highly desired by the younger male populace in Japan.

So, all of this is relatively close to what your average joe (at least in the west) would relate to your stereotypical gay man, which is close minded but somewhat understandable all things considered. What I don't understand is, with this relatively progressive "feminine" male ideal, why is Japan struggling with all this homophobia?

TL;DR: The mainstream male stereotype in Japanese culture seems more aligned with the stereotypical gay guy, which in my mind should mean less knee-jerk homophobia.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Idk why people thought that Atlus of all companies would even entertain the idea of adding gay relationships to this game when it's very clear how they view the LGBT community. The writing was on the wall after Catherine Full Body imo.

Probably because they did it in P2: Innocent Sin and got as far as having voiced lines for a romance with Yosuke in 4, not to mention treating Lala Escargot pretty decently. They have some huge blind spots and have made definite missteps (to say the least re: Full Body), but they've also done better in the past imo. Plus, it's not clear how much was Hashino's attitude and how much was the culture at Atlus as a whole.

Not excusing the stupid decisions (the homophobia was intensely frustrating in P5, though I think it unreasonable to expect them to remove it), but I don't think, personally, it's quite as much a zero-sum thing as other people think.

nowhoney

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not even homophobic, he just rejects those two men. Again, a bad tasteless joke very early 00's anime but I don't think it's pushing any agendas
I agree. I can't remember all of the scenes in P5 (it's been a while since I've played it) but based on the scene which was linked earlier in the thread, I don't see how it's homophobic. As he says, it's just Ryuji rejecting two men who are engaging with him.

I think just because the way two gay men are portrayed in this instance is obviously not representative of all gay people. You'd have to be an absolute moron to view all gay people in this manner. It's ridiculous.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For the record, it's not homophobic because of the characters' reactions to these guys.
The gay guys themselves are what's homophobic. They are a dangerous stereotyping of gays being predatory and pedophiles.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to judge the Shiho scenes until I play through it. From what I've seen it makes sense in the context of the scene.
As for the the homophobic scenes, though on one hand you can't pretend that people like that don't exist, it's a shame that the only gay people in the game are portrayed like that, the game would just be better off without that shit in the first place.
I was hoping it would be removed but I figured they wouldn't, I hope the backlash reaches them eventually and forces them to reconsider this stuff.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
If there was a scene where the stereotypes help out the cast in some way, I wouldn't really have an issue with their portrayal. Just a scene that shows that despite their demeanor, they're actually pretty decent people. Hell, even just cheering on the Phantom Thieves at the end would be fine. As it stands they really are depicted as one-note predators and that's fucking awful.

Unless Royal adds in something like that, but I doubt it.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I think in general that most Japense developers are pretty damn awful at portraying sexuality and it just becomes even more apparent when they build a scene around something that has sexual undertones, it's like a toddler trying to explain space travel.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
though on one hand you can't pretend that people like that don't exist

I don't think anybody is pretending that people like that don't exist. If the game actually addressed predatory pedophilia in some meaningful sort of way, I don't think it'd be considered as much of an issue.
The problem is that it's the only portrayal of homosexuality in this game, and it's used not only for a cheap joke, but to portray the only two gays in this game as predatory pedophiles. It plays into very common conservative propaganda that portrays gays as lecherous deviants wanting to prey on children and teenagers to 'corrupt' them, and that the next step after decriminalizing homosexuality, same sex marriage etc. is towards pedophilia (among others, such as incest or zoophilia, but that's neither here nor there). Persona 5 is perpetuating and reiterating that bigotry with these characters, for the purpose of a set of throwaway jokes.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
As someone who has - at best - surface level understanding of Japanese culture, I can't wrap my head around the seemingly rampant homophobia that gets called out again and again. To me, what would be considered "effeminate" in the west is the norm for the cis male ideal in Japanese teen/youth culture. I would almost go as far to say that an andronygous look is seemingly highly desired by the younger male populace in Japan.

So, all of this is relatively close to what your average joe (at least in the west) would relate to your stereotypical gay man, which is close minded but somewhat understandable all things considered. What I don't understand is, with this relatively progressive "feminine" male ideal, why is Japan struggling with all this homophobia?

TL;DR: The mainstream male stereotype in Japanese culture seems more aligned with the stereotypical gay guy, which in my mind should mean less knee-jerk homophobia.
What looks '' effeminate '' in the west and be considered '' normal/masculine '' somewhere else. How men are allowed to act or how they can look without setting off any kind of '' weirdo/gay alert '' varies from culture to culture. And even if Japanese men have more breathing room in how they are allowed to dress, that's only one part of gender expression. They can still be pressured to ACT and BEHAVE in a masculine way. If you look like a pretty boy who takes care of himself, other forms of '' feminine '' expression if you are a man, are prohibited. And even if there's a trend of men being able to look a bit more '' effeminate '', that doesn't mean it's not criticized or looked down upon by others (probably mostly men).

For example, this video shows a man who dresses more flamboyant saying that he is called the f-word and a weirdo at school.

Japan is struggling with homophobia because it's a culture where individuality is frowned upon. Sticking out like a sore thumb is a no no, whether it's because of your occupation, your choice of clothing or your sexuality. There's also a severe lack of LGBT knowledge, and LGBT education has only recently been added to curriculum and in teacher/staff training.

But here's the thing, there are several (popular) gay entertainers in TV, so replacement for education of LGBT people is replaced by often raunchy gay and transgender (MtF is often grouped together with gay entertainers, who are as well often in drag) entertainers who are flamboyant, loud and are often used to make straight men uncomfortable, because often these gay entertainers will jokingly grope and touch other handsome male guests (for comedy and laughs). And this kind of gay representation has been going on for, what, 20 years? In Japan, there are no '' regular degular normal '' gay comedians or entertainers or artists or actors. There is just that one sect of gay entertainers who more or less are required to use their homosexuality and flamboyance to be the butt end of the joke. So it's no wonder these kinds of jokes keep being put into Japanese entertainment, video games or anime, because that is often the only knowledge of gay people these artists and writers and developers have of gay men especially.

Here's an interview/article I keep referencing when this topic comes up, by WaPo

'' Mitz Mangrove is another gay, cross-dressing television celebrity, a star who trades on flamboyance. He's not without qualms; perpetuating stereotypes, he concedes, may not be the best way to bring homosexuality into the mainstream.

There is a boom in "onee" stars, Mitz Mangrove said, using the Japanese word that refers to men who speak like women and are often gay or transgender, and they are treated like weirdos or eccentrics.

"We fit in a category of being obviously atypical or unusual," he said as he was having his make-up fixed after the "It's Noon" lunchtime variety show. They are encouraged to be outlandish or outspoken to spice up TV shows, and that's why there are no openly gay people in more mainstream roles on television, he said.

"We are not treated as human beings. We are okay as long as we say things that are not mainstream or that are sharp or vulgar," Mangrove said.

For that reason, it wasn't necessarily a good thing for "ordinary gay people" to be associated with cross-dressing celebrities like them.

"They might be treated as abnormal as that's the common idea about us in the TV world," Mitz Mangrove said. "There are many gay people who are boring, not social or don't drink alcohol in this world but our society doesn't accept that fact and I find that very uncomfortable."

Japanese society is "confused" with what to make of these television personalities, said Aya Kamikawa, a representative on the Setagaya council and Japan's first transgender assembly member.

"I don't oppose the idea that they are selling their sexuality as their appeal," she said of the TV hosts. "But in reality, sexual minorities are everywhere, they can be your colleagues, friends and relatives. Right now, they're seen as people to be laughed at or be consumed. It's grossly lopsided."

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question for people playing the game: How is Lala-chan handled in the new content?

I know at the time a lot of people liked her in the original release, but personally I thought she had some bad subtext regarding how other characters react to her. Albeit subtext that if it wasn't for EVERY OTHER GAME PERSONA TEAM HAS RELEASED POST PERSONA 2, I might have said that I was reading into.
... But anyway, does that subtext continue? Does the subtext become text? Do new plot points affect her situation at all? Or does she just exist off screen for most of the new content.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

My guess is that you've framed this in the totally wrong way. For example, at least if you look around the '70s and '80s there are still a ton of Japanese works which, while not specifically homophobic, explicitly push the idea of "if you're a man you have to ask like a man". Its just that it tends to be moreso along the lines of "if you're a man you have to fight and be unhappy and it totally sucks but you have to do it." There are also a lots of scenes like "You're a man, right? So you have to do it".

There's actually a manga that I wanted to post a thread about in off-topic because I found it so disappointing; it starts off being pretty explicitly about how the traditional Japanese ideal of masculinity promoted in WW1 is bad, with the jokes either being about it being ridiculously outdated or destructive to the men, but then it turns into a standard macho manga after and starts promoting these same values as good.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
i keep reading that they are awful at portraying gay people but i mean......Do you guys even remember persona 4?
i dont want to write everything myself so im gonna copy everything from wiki.
"I still don't really get what bein' "strong" means, but I'm gonna start by not lying to myself. No more being scared of everyone, hiding my hobbies, staying away from people... Anytime, anyplace, I'm gonna bust right through as my own self! That's the way to deal with that "other me" in the TV world."
this is said by kanji.

and the boss of the palace ofcourse:
" After being denied, Shadow Kanji transforms into is a mostly nude version of himself surrounded in a bed of roses while holding two Mars symbols. It represents his second thoughts regarding his true sexuality (the possibility of being gay) and being unsure of the opposite sex, as the sensitive side under his rough exterior is often unappreciated and even ridiculed by girls and being thought of as an unmanly degenerate as a result. His Shadow is also accompanied by two other Shadows, one named 'Nice Guy' and the other named 'Tough Guy;' possibly referring to the common homosexual stereotypes of a feminine man , and the other a masculine man. "
The whole point of the dungeon was for him to believe in himself and accept who he really is. You literally fight the stereotypes.

Also there are predatory and feminine gay people (what was that youtubers name again) , I know its a wrong stereotype but again i dont really feel like they had any agendas behind this particular scene. it was a joke that some liked and many disliked.

Japanese culture usually over exaggerates stuff to the point that people who are not familiar with the culture can get offended by it. Its just their thing.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean considering that this is a sexualised version of someone literally living inside the abusers head, doesn't it just thematically make sense for the game to do this?

Kamoshida physically abuses Shiho constantly and enjoys it, so of course the cognitive version of her - the way he personally views her and wants her to be - would be sexualised and weak to physical attacks.

I'm not seeing the outrage here.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlus, the Chick-fil-A of game developers.

"B-b-but my homophobic game overpriced chicken dunked in pickle brine is delicious! Sorry, gays!"

Disgusting, and people WILL hand-wave it away.

And those people are fucking trash. We have so many hand-waving people here on Era when it comes to homophobia and their chicken and games.

Atlus is trash too. I stopped supporting them.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
i keep reading that they are awful at portraying gay people but i mean......Do you guys even remember persona 4?
"I still don't really get what bein' "strong" means, but I'm gonna start by not lying to myself. No more being scared of everyone, hiding my hobbies, staying away from people... Anytime, anyplace, I'm gonna bust right through as my own self! That's the way to deal with that "other me" in the TV world."
this is said by kanji.

" After being denied, Shadow Kanji transforms into is a mostly nude version of himself surrounded in a bed of roses while holding two Mars symbols. It represents his second thoughts regarding his true sexuality (the possibility of being gay) and being unsure of the opposite sex, as the sensitive side under his rough exterior is often unappreciated and even ridiculed by girls and being thought of as an unmanly degenerate as a result. His Shadow is also accompanied by two other Shadows, one named 'Nice Guy' and the other named 'Tough Guy;' possibly referring to the common homosexual stereotypes of a feminine man , and the other a masculine man. "
The whole point of the dungeon was for him to believe in himself and accept who he really is. You literally fight the stereotypes.

Also there are predatory and feminine gay people (what was that youtubers name again) , I know its a wrong stereotype but again i dont really feel like they had any agendas behind this particular scene. it was a joke that some liked and many disliked.

Japanese culture usually over exaggerates stuff to the point that people who are not familiar with the culture can get offended by it. Its just their thing.
I vaguely recall that it was later officially stated that
Kanji is straight
which upset a whole lot of people. Persona was barely even on my radar at the time so I'm sure if it happened someone knows better than I do.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
this is said by kanji.

Kanji is a badly written straight character. They accidentally made him appear gay (well, bi) when the intent was that he was just kind of feminine in some aspects.
His arc is queer coded to hell and back, for sure. And the game wants you to think he's gay, at least to begin with. But when he's talking about his hobbies and falls for Naoto, you're not supposed to think "ah, he's queer and fallen for a trans man", you're supposed to think "ah, Naoto was a girl the entire time, Kanji subconsciously picked up on her womanhood somehow and then started worrying about toxic masculinity in regards to his hobbies, he's straight".
The message of his arc is not "it's ok to be gay", it's "it's ok to like cute things, that doesn't make you gay, which is of course the bad thing here".

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I can't blame anyone for buying games they enjoy just for these bad scenes, I mean, I will still buy Atlus games, but I do wish people were more critical over what they consume.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
Kanji is a badly written straight character. They accidentally made him appear gay (well, bi) when the intent was that he was just kind of feminine in some aspects.
His arc is queer coded to hell and back, for sure. And the game wants you to think he's gay, at least to begin with. But when he's talking about his hobbies and falls for Naoto, you're not supposed to think "ah, he's queer and fallen for a trans man", you're supposed to think "ah, Naoto was a girl the entire time, Kanji subconsciously picked up on her womanhood somehow and then started worrying about toxic masculinity in regards to his hobbies, he's straight".
The message of his arc is not "it's ok to be gay", it's "it's ok to like cute things, that doesn't make you gay, which is of course the bad thing here".
This would've went over better if they also made a '' it's okay to be gay '' arc for one character but that didn't happen either.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
This would've went over better if they also made a '' it's okay to be gay '' arc for one character but that didn't happen either.
If ONLY there was a character they planned to be gay/bi...
Oh wait there was. Yosuke was planned to be bi at one point. But they cut it. I wonder why. Who would object to this move that would retroactively improve a lot of scenes for both Kanji and Yosuke (Kanji not being the one "gay" character, and Yosuke's homophobia not just being... Homophobia). 🤔

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
I see.
Im not sure if i agree but i get how it could be interpreted.
they definitely could have done a better job.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

And also "don't panic, that person you like that looks like a boy is actually a girl, you're good".

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Kanji is Bi, no matter how much they try to deny it.

He has shown attraction to both men and women and not only Naoto (I think I remember a scene in P4G where he was blushing when Yosuke rided his bike along with him).

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017

Did I interpret this wrong or something? Seems like the guy(s) was coming onto him to him saying he was going to eat him up and calling him a studmuffin and he rejected him. Is it the way he rejected that is considered homophobic? The dog comment? I'd also have an issue if a man approached me like that.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Kanji is Bi, no matter how much they try to deny it.

He has shown attraction to both men and women and not only Naoto (I think I remember a scene in P4G where he was blushing when Yosuke rided his bike along with him).
I fully support this headcanon wise, but in terms of actual intent I would argue that any homoerotic moments with Kanji post his arc are part of a game the writers are playing called "Is it gay if Kanji does ___". Although I don't remember the specific example you mentioned.

Valentine's day is a great example in P4G. If you choose to hang with the boys, Kanji gives you some chocolate and blushes a lot. Superficially, this seems pretty gay. But then Kanji clarifies his intentions and says that he just wants to thank the MC for everything he's done, and then Yosuke and Teddie jump aboard this bandwagon.
There's room for interpretation here. It's possible that Kanji chickened out of saying how he actually feels, and came up with a plausible excuse to give the MC chocolate. But equally, Kanji could just be a very loving person (but not in a gay way or anything), who is shy about expressing his non-romantic feelings of gratitude.
I actually don't have any problems with this example specifically, because it's very cute and Kanji despite the writers is a good boy, but it's a good example of how Kanji's ambiguous situation can be used:

Kanji is textually not certain about his sexuality.
Kanji does something not particularly masculine.
Other characters call him out on it and suggest he's gay.
Kanji claims it's not like *that*, and gets defensive.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Did I interpret this wrong or something? Seems like the guy(s) was coming onto him to him saying he was going to eat him up and calling him a studmuffin and he rejected him. Is it the way he rejected that is considered homophobic? The dog comment? I'd also have an issue if a man approached me like that.
Remember, characters in video games are not real people. Every character and the world they're in are created by actual human beings in the real world. This situation didn't have to happen at all. The gay characters didn't have to act like this.

If the only gay characters in the game are aggressively accosting straight men as a joke, it has implications for how the game is presenting gay men. It's turning gay men into a joke and a threat against straight men.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
Remember, characters in video games are not real people. Every character and the world they're in are created by actual human beings in the real world. This situation didn't have to happen at all. The gay characters didn't have to act like this.

If the only gay characters in the game are aggressively accosting straight men as a joke, it has implications for how the game is presenting gay men. It's turning gay men into a joke and a threat against straight men.
Ok I didn't think of it from that perspective. That makes more sense to me. Thanks for the clarification. I also agree with you.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
I have a question for people playing the game: How is Lala-chan handled in the new content?

I know at the time a lot of people liked her in the original release, but personally I thought she had some bad subtext regarding how other characters react to her. Albeit subtext that if it wasn't for EVERY OTHER GAME PERSONA TEAM HAS RELEASED POST PERSONA 2, I might have said that I was reading into.
... But anyway, does that subtext continue? Does the subtext become text? Do new plot points affect her situation at all? Or does she just exist off screen for most of the new content.
Could you specify what kind of subtext you mean? I don't think I got it myself.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Could you specify what kind of subtext you mean? I don't think I got it myself.
Ok so there's a scene in Makoto's confident where the MC and Makoto go to Lala-chan's bar. I forget the details, but at one point Lala-chan starts talking about when she was a little girl? Makoto's reaction to this is shock.
Now it's entirely possible that Makoto is just really sheltered. But the conversation just kind of moves on, so in isolation it's hard to tell what the intent of the scene is. That being said. It's Atlus. So it's possible that the joke of the scene is not Makoto being sheltered, but rather Lala-chan in some form. Which is supported by Makoto not following up with "wow I have a lot to learn about the world" or whatever.

As I say, it's subtext, and if I were going to dump on Atlus it's not my go to choice due to the ambiguity. But I feel like if Lala-chan got more screentime, we'd see more of this.

nowhoney

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They chase Ryuji around as he runs away screaming.

Both here and in another scene in the beach event.
I mean if they're literally chasing him around, I still don't understand how this is homophobic? Happy to have my mind changed here but I think it's a reach to suggest that the scene in question is homophobic.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
I mean if they're literally chasing him around, I still don't understand how this is homophobic? Happy to have my mind changed here but I think it's a reach to suggest that the scene in question is homophobic.
Because it paints gay men specifically as predatory. The scene in question is easily read as '' gay people are gross '' rather than '' predators are gross. '' And gay men being painted as predatory towards unwilling straight men and even underage boys is an age old stereotype all around the world.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

It harkens to 1950s stereotypes that gay men are pedophiles. These men have unique animations to show beyond a doubt that they are gay. The entire point of the gag is to demean gay men.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
You don't understand how portraying the ONLY two gay characters in the game as pedophiles is homophobic? You don't understand that? Really? 🤔

MulderYuffie

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me how it's homophobic? There seems to be a consensus here that it is... Looks like an overly zealous gay guy hits on someone who doesn't want it. He reacts negatively. What am I missing and why is it so critical that it requires censorship?
I really don't get it either and I'm gay people are offended too easily.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I thought it was a good LGBTQ arc than specifically a gay one... I mean it stinks they didn't go full G, but otherwise I thought the idea of telling tougher folk that it's okay to have a soft side is important (and even sorta vice versa for Naoto).

Shame the game's humour has trouble doing much else but punching down.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's combined with the fact that they stick around in the red district and will make some comments on how they love to have sex with underaged boys. They're pedophiles.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Imagine making fun of gay men in a society where there is a crisis of straight men not acting on their supposed sexuality.

Japan: exercise some fucking introspection, please, and recognise who or what truly deserves the scornful humor.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine making fun of gay men in a society where there is a crisis of straight men not acting on their supposed sexuality.

Japan: exercise some fucking introspection, please, and recognise who or what truly deserves the scornful humor.
I mean, it's not the straight men who don't want sex or relationships who deserve scornful humor either. It's the toxic work culture that has killed relationships

nowhoney

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't understand how portraying the ONLY two gay characters in the game as pedophiles is homophobic? You don't understand that? Really? 🤔
Could you not apply this logic to any other type of individual in the game though? For example, the game's only PE teacher is portrayed as a paedophile. I just think it's silly.

Also, is it stated anywhere that these are paedophiles? Is it not plausible that they think they're older? I haven't played the game in a while so I'm not sure whether or not this is the case.

nowhoney

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's combined with the fact that they stick around in the red district and will make some comments on how they love to have sex with underaged boys. They're pedophiles.
I find it very hard to believe that there's actual dialogue in the game of the men in question saying how they "love to have sex with underaged boys."