• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
My favourite game ever. Glad people are finally enjoying it on a different platform.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ok.

So Here me out.

Pllars of Eternity is a CRPG
Dark Souls 3 is a JRPG.

I don't think I need to even explain why calling Dark Souls 3 a JRPG is absolutely useless. You know exactly what type of game Pillars of Eternity is when I say it's a CRPG. You have no idea at all what type of game Dark Souls 3 is if you call it a JRPG.

Hence why calling any RPG from Japan a JRPG is useless.

Yeah, but CRPG is applied limited enough to where it makes sense what people are referring to when they say it.

When someone talks about JRPG, going by the steam listing, it could mean:
Final Fantasy
Code Vein
NieR: Automata
.Hack
Disgaea
God Eater 3
Tales of Berseria
Trails of Cold Steel

These are all quite different from one another with the only thing really connecting them being that they're anime.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
If kh3 and SMT are JRPGs commonly referred to as JRPGs than so is DS. IDC.
KH is way more JRPG than DS is a JRPG. Yeah, the gameplay is a little different, but the structure of the game is a JRPG. But even if there's place to debate whether KH3 is a JRPG, what does that have to do with DS? DS is it's own genre now, it's a "souls-like" or whatever you want to call it. It has clearly spun off into it's own thing, with some relations to JRPG, but different.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
JRPG is basically anime with stats.

basically, it's JRPG if it fulfills two of the three Along with being from Japan

1) Has a stat based mechanism with a system of leveling up
2) has anime tropes in some fashion whether subverted or playing it straight.
3) turn-based fighting

so kingdom hearts would match due to 1 and 2 and SMT really matches all three (some cases of subversion others playing it straight)

Status
Not open for further replies.