Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Dismissiveness in a sensitive thread
Eh I think speculating that an abduction is a hoax before details are known is still a not great thing to do

I don't know. It does as much good/bad as anyone else here who was writing a thriller movie every step of the way. Which is to say "ehh..." None of us are the search and rescue team, so whatever.

Story sounded fishy from the start.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
"The Hoover Police Department has not located any evidence of a toddler walking down the interstate, nor did we receive any additional calls about a toddler walking down the interstate, despite numerous vehicles passing through that area as depicted by the traffic camera surveillance video,"

so everyone who drove by is blind/heartless, or this person made it up. 🤔

Oct 25, 2017
What motivates someone to (allegedly) fake an abduction and waste everyone's time? Bruh
I don't think they were remotely trustworthy but the first few Twitter threads saying this was staged after she returned home said she stole money from work and had been kicked out of nursing school.
but the fact that hasn't come up as part of this officially has me not believing it even more so though.

When did people start to suspect that this was fake? For me the second she showed up back at her house it was pretty obvious.
The traffic cam video was really strange,
not so much as faked it but that maybe she had a mental episode or something.
It just made the situation more weird. and then she turned up at her house

Probably showing up at home, still had some belief that a kidnapper got spooked but it started the doubt.

Last edited:

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really keep up with this. Why were people saying it was a fake crime? Was there obvious signs, like with that other case a few years back?
My assumption would be the video. It didn't really align with the story. Car coasted a long way to have seen someone from that far back and the road was very busy too

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Did it for the clout.

TBH, 9 times out of 10 this probably works, the story stays extremely local, and nothing else happens. She was screwed once it went national. No doubt she didn't expect that to happen.

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they were remotely trustworthy but the first few Twitter threads saying this was staged after she returned home said she stole money from work and had been kicked out of nursing school.
but the fact that hasn't come up as part of this officially has me not believing it even more so though.
Searching for "how to take money from a register without being caught" does kind of fit that though.

nilbog

Movie Aficionado
Oct 25, 2017
Under the Silver Lake
Unfortunate, her family had me convinced she was kidnapped with their interviews/social media after she was found. Hopefully they were mislead also and not covering up for her.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
When did people start to suspect that this was fake? For me the second she showed up back at her house it was pretty obvious.
Same. Especially when the cops didn't say anything about her supposed "abductor" that she said had kept her captive. Usually the cops would have raided the house, given out the name so the public could keep an eye out for him, ect ect...Yet, the police just stayed silent for like a day or so. I pretty much knew then.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
Bizarre story that I guess has a fitting end because it was weird from start to finish. This ordeal is going to be something Carlee will never forget.

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This story always seemed pretty sus so I'm not surprised.

Between the mysterious toddler, the traffic cam, the strange reappearance, and the rumors from the area, nothing about this situation sounded right.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
What a shitty thing to do, if true. I don't know this person but I genuinely hoped for her safe return when I found out about the abduction.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I think speculating that an abduction is a hoax before details are known is still a not great thing to do
Honestly speculating anything is not that great either.

I was thinking of paraphrasing my post in the North Korea soldier thread in the original thread, basically saying that it would be disrespectful to Carlee to call whatever happened a hoax if she was really abducted or had a mental crisis, it'd be fear mongering to shut down any non-abduction theories if she faked it or had a mental crisis, and it'd be stereotyping to dismiss it as a mental crisis if she was really abducted or faked it.

Our speculation is essentially uninformed gossip, it doesn't serve any useful purpose, and is likely to be wrong.

A mental crisis is still a possibility in this situation. I'm not speculating that that is what happened here (I mean, I did just write that it would be stereotyping to say that after all,) but I am saying that I don't know if I trust a bunch of white, Southern cops to give that possibility due weight in a press conference that makes them look like they solved the case, especially when a person of color is involved.

Ventrue

Oct 27, 2017
IMO it became pretty evident that the story didn't add up, given the traffic camera footage and her reappearance. It was disappointing that questioning her story was treated as, in the words of the threadmark in the original thread, "Arrogant. Hurtful. Flippant. Dangerous. Cruel" and sexist. While I think, in general, we should 'believe women', I think it's a mistake to make that into literally believing every woman.

The whole idea of human traffickers using a toddler as 'bait' to grab women off the side of a busy highway was pretty strange from the get-go. I think a lot of people have a sensationalised idea of how human trafficking usually happens.

steejee

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure which would be worse outcome: That she faked it completely, or that there really was an abductor using a baby as bait.

The former seems more likely, but I suppose is the better outcome. Latter would mean there's kidnappers out there who just had a really weird change of heart despite using a pretty insane 'bait' mechanism, which would be pretty far out.

There are various third possibilities (eg mental health crisis resulting in an unintentional 'kidnapping' situation) but not many details seem to support one of those other options. As strange as it is I almost hope she did have some sort of breakdown and this was all a result. Like then I could understand and I could feel sympathetic to her plight.

I sorta watched the original thread but didn't comment on it - the whole story was so bizarre and lacking in details it was hard to know what to make of it. I was pretty just much "I hope they finder her okay" and that was all. So I'm glad she's okay in the end but I'm going to be pretty furious if she faked this whole thing for whatever reason. Lots of kids get abducted every day never to be heard from again and there's a severe lack of resources to find them. Creating a whole one on your own with strange enough circumstances that investigators are forced to focus on it over other cases is just....ugh.

Psykoboy2

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Don't forget her family raised nearly 100k to help find her.

You got a source on that?

As I understood it, the family never set up or asked for donations. Everything went through a company called "Crimestoppers". It collects donations to be given to law enforcement to help the investigation of a crime. People who donated to that as reward money to find her I think had their donations returned.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
If true, this is very disappointing and really harms these types of efforts for cases where women have really been abducted.
You got a source on that?

As I understood it, the family never set up or asked for donations. Everything went through a company called "Crimestoppers". It collects donations to be given to law enforcement to help the investigation of a crime. People who donated to that as reward money to find her I think had their donations returned.
You're correct that it wasn't her family who set it up, however, even though crimestoppers initially said they would refund the money (after Carlee was found), they then reneged on that as the case was still open and abductor was not found (or a reason thereabouts), though I'm sure considering current situation they'll likely do a full refund of whatever funds are left over...

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think there is any doubt she faked this at this point. The fact that those leaked texts actually ended up being true really sealed the deal for me.

Theyre gonna get that interview with her and she will be arrested shortly after.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
After that announcement she walked home my hunch went to either 1.) mental episode or 2.) shady/fakery

I think seeing the video made me perk up cause I was not expecting a busy interstate in the dark of night on a bend. But didn't assume hoax.

RaphaBE

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
California
patrick-stewart-mild-shock.gif

I had my doubts from the start, but I do agree it's best not to speculate (much) until more information is available. At best it's unproductive, and at worst you're aggravating others and making a fool out of yourself.

It became obvious to me while watching a video posted by Angela Harris. Her daughter was abducted and killed a few years ago; she's been an activist ever since, and she lead the search for Carlee Russell. Her statement was along the lines of "As a mother, I'm extremely happy that Carlee was found and it's all that matters. It's not my place to explain what happened, but the truth will come in time. And no matter what happened, please understand that abductions remain a major issue in this country". Plain as day...

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
There were some texts posted yesterday from someone in law enforcement or from the fire department that had all the details that were announced in the presser today. The whole orange hair guy with a bald spot and feeding her cheez its in an 18 wheeler. When I first read it I said there ain't no way that's real… but sure enough…

The sentiment of those texts was basically that she is sticking to this abduction story despite it being more and more likely to not be true.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Seriously fucked up. POC missing persons cases already don't get the attention they deserve but on the rare instance it gets national coverage it turns into a possible abduction hoax smh

Miss Piggy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wild outcome, not many people saw that coming. I'm glad there was no child used as bait.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If attention was the goal I don't think it's a very well thought out one. People go missing and are kidnapped every day and there's barely a mention in the news. Even with salacious details, you can't count on being one of the lucky ones the media cares about.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Man what a fucking selfish asshole. This sort of thing should never be taken lightly or as joke. I hope they're punished accordingly to deter other people from doing this sort of thing. The more hoaxes that exist the less people will care when the real thing happens.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't understand is how/why the truck driver gave a statement indicating that he saw a man standing at her car, or something like that. Was he in on it? Or am I still missing something here?

Nov 25, 2021
I'm not sure which would be worse outcome: That she faked it completely, or that there really was an abductor using a baby as bait.

The former seems more likely, but I suppose is the better outcome. Latter would mean there's kidnappers out there who just had a really weird change of heart despite using a pretty insane 'bait' mechanism, which would be pretty far out.

There are various third possibilities (eg mental health crisis resulting in an unintentional 'kidnapping' situation) but not many details seem to support one of those other options. As strange as it is I almost hope she did have some sort of breakdown and this was all a result. Like then I could understand and I could feel sympathetic to her plight.

I just want to say - even if she did fake it, that in itself is very much likely an indicator of mental health issues. It's only been 4 years since we lost Etika and the various accusations thrown around about his behaviour. I do hope she's able to receive help for whatever it is that pushed her to go this far.