Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
Regardless of ML, checkerboarding etc, they should focus on stable 60 fps. 1440p looks great on a 4k screen, even without those techniques.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Wait the 1.5 months to see for yourself, or search for one of the 900 threads that already exist here, with players for Team Blue and Team Green squabbling over how they will perform.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
this was already clarified that its just in old dev kits. Retail and newer dev kits don't have this .

Can you please share the link for that? I saw the entine Cerny presentation and he clearly also said that the CPU and GPU can't sustain the max clock all the time.

"Mark Cerny freely admits that CPU and GPU won't always be running at 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz respectively."

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My bets:

XSX = 4k native
PS5 = sub-4K resolutions/CB/dynamic resolution

Games will otherwise look 95% identical and probably perform very similarly.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can you please share the link for that? I saw the entine Cerny presentation and he clearly also said that the CPU and GPU can't sustain the max clock all the time.

"Mark Cerny freely admits that CPU and GPU won't always be running at 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz respectively."
U r mixing up 2 things . Old dev kits,devs had to choose clock profile . Newer devs kits its not the case . Both the gpu and cpu can run at max (while at max) till an activity arrives that pushes the power draw above the allowable limit (like opening map in horizon zero dawn) in that case the gpu or cpu will down clock by 2% to reduce the power draw by 10%. So gpu and cpu will not always run at max. So the sentence

is 100% correct . There are activities that causes one to he down clocked by 2%.

Your other point was clarified that it isnnit the case anymore
"Several developers speaking to Digital Foundry have stated that their current PS5 work sees them throttling back the CPU in order to ensure a sustained 2.23GHz clock on the graphics core."

Gpu or cpu at current state dev kit or retail units have no input from devs. Its done automatically.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
U r mixing up 2 things . Old dev kits,devs had to choose clock profile . Newer devs kits its not the case . Both can run at max Until gpu and cpu while at max an activity arrives that pushes the power draw above the allowable limit (like opening map in horizon zero dawn) in that case the gpu or cpu will down clock by 2% to reduce the power draw by 10%. So gpu and cpu will not always run at max. So the sentence

is 100% correct . There are activities that causes one to he down clocked by 2%.

Your other point was clarified that it isnnit the case anymore
"Several developers speaking to Digital Foundry have stated that their current PS5 work sees them throttling back the CPU in order to ensure a sustained 2.23GHz clock on the graphics core."

Gpu or cpu at current state dev kit or retail units have no input from devs. Its done automatically.

Let me see if I understand. You are correcting what I said by also saying that the CPU/GPU don't sustain the max clock at all times?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Same article y'all are discussing, the YouTube video. Start at the 5:25 mark.

I've come to learn its best to watch the video too for DF articles. Because sometimes things are left out the article.

The profiles are in the dev kits, for retail the variable clocks handle that.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let me see if I understand. You are correcting what I said by also saying that the CPU/GPU don't sustain the max clock at all times?

Yes that sentence is correct. Gpu and cpu can both run at max till Some instruction causes the activity in gpu or cpu to increase power draw suddenly (like opening map for example) .in this case a down clock in cpu or gpu by couple of % will happen to reduce the power draw by 10% .
So they won't always be running at max 100% of times.fir example they will both run at max, 80% of times (just an example). So u can not use the term always .

The other sentence was not correct where devs had to choose .thats automatic now.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

Same article y'all are discussing, the YouTube video. Start at the 5:25 mark.

I've come to learn its best to watch the video too for DF articles. Because sometimes things are left out the article.

The profiles are in the dev kits, for retail the variable clocks handle that.

Yeah, nothing to see here. This video also makes clear that the PS5 cannot sustain CPU and GPU clock at max all the time.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Yes that sentence is correct. Gpu and cpu can both run at max till Some instruction causes the activity in gpu or cpu to increase power draw suddenly (like opening map for example) .in this case a down clock in cpu or gpu by couple of % will happen to reduce the power draw by 10% .
So they won't always be running at max 100% of times.

The other sentence was not correct where devs had to choose .thats automatic now.

I didn't say that the developers had to choose.

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020

Tbf you seem to have changed the context of the argument. The question was about devs current PS5 workload and scaling back CPU to ensure max GPU workload. Don't think anyone is debating the fact that permanent maxed clocks isn't a thing but Cerny did state that fixed profiles is for devs to use during profiling and won't be part of any released title. Easy cross convo situation.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't say that the developers had to choose.
U posted :

this sentence means
devs had to choose to lower cpu to make sure gpu runs at max. This input doesn't exist anymore. It was the case in old dev kits .

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Tbf you seem to have changed the context of the argument. The question was about devs current PS5 workload and scaling back CPU to ensure max GPU workload. Don't think anyone is debating the fact that permanent maxed clocks isn't a thing but Cerny did state that fixed profiles is for devs to use during profiling and won't be part of any released title. Easy cross convo situation.
Thank you.

Gamer17

I tried, lol. The YouTube clip has what you're talking about. The article doesn't.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks . Exactly. He is confusing 2 things together

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

I'm not saying anything else than that. How developers have the option to lock down the CPU or GPU clock at a lower speed, I understand is still possible for developers. This doesn't deny that they also have the option to let the PS5 take care of adjusting the clocks.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
U posted :

this sentence means
devs had to choose to lower cpu to make sure gpu runs at max. This input doesn't exist anymore. It was the case in old dev kits .

This is not what I said. I didn't say anything about developers having to choose anything.

2- Developers have the option to lock down the PS5 CPU at a lower clock speed and this way they can guarantee that the GPU will stay at the max 2.23GHz clock speed.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think all we're gonna see from third party titles is dynamic resolution is a bit lower on PS5 than XSX.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think its going to come down to a lot of what the game is and what its trying to do. I don't think the Raw power of the XSX is always going to outperform the PS5.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Expectation on XSX is 4k/60fps, 1440p/120fps or 8k/30fps as minimum.
NWEQvA7.gif

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is not what I said. I didn't say anything about developers having to choose anything.

2- Developers have the option to lock down the PS5 CPU at a lower clock speed and this way they can guarantee that the GPU will stay at the max 2.23GHz clock speed.
Yea the option doesn't exist anymore. Now it runs at max clock when needed till an activity arrives that raises power draw (at same clock) in this case automatically frequency drop happens and will go back up as soon as this activity is passed. Devs don't choose any profile for gpu or cpu anymore.

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
Look at post #253 I'm pretty sure that's where some discussions were conflated. It seems everyone agrees with each other but in separate quote threads. Chill.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Playstation 5 is a console with variable clockrates that operate at max speed 99.99999999% of time.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Yea the option doesn't exist anymore. Now it runs at max clock when needed till an activity arrives that raises power draw (at same clock) in this case automatically frequency drop happens and will go back up as soon as this activity is passed. Devs don't choose any profile for gpu or cpu anymore.

Thank you for the correction on that. Although that was not my main point here.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Close, with advantages varying from game to game, engine to engine, dev to dev. Series X might have the edge in resolution & framerate over here, while PS5 has better load times & draw distance over there.

bi0g3n3sis

Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Yes and I clearly said "We already know that the PS5 can't sustain the CPU and GPU at max clock all the time." both are clearly compatible. I included word by word the quotes from Cerny and the developers that spoke with digital foundry. With what you don't agree exactly?

And you missed "Locked Profiles" part

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, nothing to see here. This video also makes clear that the PS5 cannot sustain CPU and GPU clock at max all the time.
there is no reason for any game to always need max clocks. Thats the point of why they set this up. There are times where jobs are already done on the CPU or GPU and the clock can go down in those cases or when there is come kind of code that is causing issues like the map screens on Horizon that makes the PS4 Pro Scream. The System will operate at max clocks when its needed and the clocks can literally change Frame to frame based on the activity of the GPU or CPU thats all that means. its a more efficient way to use clock frequency that just trying to keep sustaining clocks no matter what.

On top of that the Power Setup is biased towards the GPU when needed so if there is less activity on the CPU the GPU get additional power.

Expectation on XSX is 4k/60fps, 1440p/120fps or 8k/30fps as minimum.
lmao.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know yet. The answers will come soon enough, press is having hands on with both hardware right now, I believe. I expect some early comparisons this week or next week.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
In certain cases, yes it is.

Will those cases be common? We shall see...

I'm just amazed that after everything we've seen for PS5 examples..old talking points are still being debated.
it never ends. I just need launch so we can finally show people the performance differences 3rd party are slim to none lol.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
there is no reason for any game to always need max clocks. Thats the point of why they set this up. There are times where jobs are already done on the CPU or GPU and the clock can go down in those cases or when there is come kind of code that is causing issues like the map screens on Horizon that makes the PS4 Pro Scream. The System will operate at max clocks when its needed and the clocks can literally change Frame to frame based on the activity of the GPU or CPU thats all that means. its a more efficient way to use clock frequency that just trying to keep sustaining clocks no matter what.

The point here is what happens to the clock speeds when both the CPU and GPU are running tasks that consume a lot of power. The PS5 has a locked power budget and if either the CPU or the GPU go over budget, the clock speed will go down. The XSX on the contrary has a locked CPU and GPU speed, that is always available to the developers under all cases. Someone was comparing the PS5 and XSX CPU speeds and I made the observation that the CPU clock on the PS5 can go below the one on the XSX.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The point here is what happens to the clock speeds when both the CPU and GPU are running tasks that consume a lot of power. The PS5 has a locked power budget and if either the CPU or the GPU go over budget, the clock speed will go down. The XSX on the contrary has a locked CPU and GPU speed, that is always available to the developers under all cases. Someone was comparing the PS5 and XSX CPU speeds and I made the observation that the CPU clock on the PS5 can go below the one on the XSX.
Please give me an example of this happening where you have 100% GPU and 100% CPU Utilization in a game over a extended period of time. Other than a single frame or a few frames. If not you literally are arguing something that literally never happens and is a Worst case scenario for literally any system and also means the game is poorly optimized. Also the xbox will also have issues in this case as well. it literally will cause extra power draw on the system.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
DF will be busy to be sure.
I was just thinking today on my hour-and-a-half drive home "I can't wait for DF's videos on Cyberpunk, even before the next-gen patches hit."

I'm sure it'll be interesting seeing CP2077 run even just in BC mode on the next consoles, because do we really expect it to run anywhere near "well" on current-gen?

I'm not willing to put myself through speculating, so I'm just waiting to see comparisons because I don't want to be let down from any expectations. I'm really excited to see DF's work this holiday season though.