• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
The average life expectancy in the US is 78. 9 years ago she would have been 78. Anyone defending her not retiring during Obama is foolish, full stop.

Her doing her job well for a decade is nice but it's not like another progressive judge wouldn't have been able to make the same rulings and opinions. Especially when that decade is on the other end of life expectancy
We don't always agree, but you're absolutely right, she should have stepped down. The fear we've lived in as a result of her random health issues is more than a lot of us should have had to deal with and heaven forbid something did happen, it'd be highly problematic at this time.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I feel like a lot of people need this drilled into their heads.

"Well why doesn't he earn MY vote?"
I've already said I'm voting for Biden. I don't dislike Biden for the way he treats me personally. I dislike Biden for the way he treats black Americans, Palestinians, illegal immigrants, Yemeni citizens, Iraqis, Libyans, victims of police brutality and more. If Americans actually gave a shit about the imperial machine that wrecked havoc across the world pretty much no current Dem would have their job.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
The average life expectancy in the US is 78. 9 years ago she would have been 78. Anyone defending her not retiring during Obama is foolish, full stop.

Her doing her job well for a decade is nice but it's not like another progressive judge wouldn't have been able to make the same rulings and opinions. Especially when that decade is on the other end of life expectancy

And she was a cancer survivor and the 2014 Senate midterms did not look good for Democrats after 2010.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I've already said I'm voting for Biden. I don't dislike Biden for the way he treats me personally. I dislike Biden for the way he treats black Americans, Palestinians, illegal immigrants, Yemeni citizens, Iraqis, Libyans, victims of police brutality and more. If Americans actually gave a shit about the imperial machine that wrecked havoc across the world pretty much no current Dem would have their job.
A lot of Americans do in fact give a shit. There is also next to nothing they can do about it in this system.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
A lot of Americans do in fact give a shit. There is also next to nothing they can do about it in this system.
They do not. It's not just at a presidential level but for local races too. The amount of representatives that are actually outspoken about how terrible the US is overseas are the vast minority (like 5 out of 200+). If it was as many as you think then the ghoul hawks wouldn't keep winning elections.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why the fuck is a thread about an existential threat to reproductive rights filled with vague posts about "breaking down the system".

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
So maybe we got to get rid of this system then?
I admire the optimism but there just isn't a way forward that would make it happen. As frustrating as it might be the Supreme Court works for what functions it provides.

I would love for some more rules put in place to stop bad faith actors in the government from holding it hostage but we need to make sure the bad faith actors don't win literally everything first.

OP
OP
captive

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Why the fuck is a thread about an existential threat to reproductive rights filled with vague posts about "breaking down the system".
Same reason I made the thread. 'progressives' more concerned with getting what they want or taking their ball and going home, than trying to save the damn country.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
That system will be here absolutely forever if Trump wins.

Exactly. The GOP want to keep this system in place forever. It's what gives them power and wealth. They have sold their souls for this system. Donald Trump winning is a guarantee that nothing changes in our life times.

I'm not saying that Joe Biden, of all people, would mean the eradication of this system. Getting rid of Trump, however, prevents checkmate from happening.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Same reason I made the thread. 'progressives' more concerned with getting what they want or taking their ball and going home, than trying to save the damn country.
You know exactly why.
Nobody in here has said they're not voting for Biden. It would be nice to discuss the politics of voting, campaigns and the state of the US without this type of shit in every thread.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody in here has said they're not voting for Biden. It would be nice to discuss the politics of voting, campaigns and the state of the US without this type of shit in every thread.
I mean people are literally fearing for their lives being determined in a month in a half right now, so it's a hard thing to discussed about why Biden is apparently "debatably as bad"

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I admire the optimism but there just isn't a way forward that would make it happen. As frustrating as it might be the Supreme Court works for what functions it provides.

I would love for some more rules put in place to stop bad faith actors in the government from holding it hostage but we need to make sure the bad faith actors don't win literally everything first.
It's not really optimism. Or rather, it's not optimism in that I think it will happen, but in that I think it needs to happen. What we do now isn't sustainable, and we need to change. I'm skeptical of electoralism because it's designed to prevent much change. Why else would they have the Supreme Court, presidency, House of Representatives and Senate? Other than to slow down any progress via bureaucracy.
Okay. If Trump wins, there is zero chance of it going away by getting rid of it ourselves.
Possibly, but I mean, I don't feel any enthusiasm voting for Biden. Maybe I'll vote for him, but it's not a vote I'd be proud of making, as it'd almost make it seem like I'd be endorsing whatever he does as president, including militaristic actions abroad.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly, but I mean, I don't feel any enthusiasm voting for Biden. Maybe I'll vote for him, but it's not a vote I'd be proud of making, as it'd almost make it seem like I'd be endorsing whatever he does as president, including militaristic actions abroad.
That's not how it works though.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
God the "what has he does to earn *my* vote" nonsense makes my blood boil. I've a group of friends who swear by that thought process; that "both sides are the same" or "4 more years of this will ensure a more progressive future somehow!" absolute insanity and it drives me utterly insane. Impenetrable.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Ted Cruz getting a Supreme Court seat would be like rubbing shit in an open wound.

Like if the argument of harm reduction isn't enough to sway your vote to Biden, do it to deprive this dork of a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God the "what has he does to earn *my* vote" nonsense makes my blood boil. I've a group of friends who swear by that thought process; that "both sides are the same" or "4 more years of this will ensure a more progressive future somehow!" absolute insanity and it drives me utterly insane. Impenetrable.
M4A is going to be a fucking CAKEWALK with a conservative majority Supreme Court. Progressive wonderland here we come!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think the system itself being an existential threat to reproductive rights in the first place might have something to do with it.
Do you have a blueprint to tear down the system before November?

Because otherwise, I'm not sure what the fucking point of this tangent is. You have at least two Politics OTs to complain about the system being garbage in.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Do you have a blueprint to tear down the system before November?

Because otherwise, I'm not sure what the fucking point of this tangent is.

Well I think it's instructive to think ahead. Most likely scenario if Biden wins and Dems get the Senate is preserving the ideological makeup of the Court, which is already 5-4 Conservative.

What's the plan going forward?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Well I think it's instructive to think ahead. Most likely scenario if Biden wins and Dems get the Senate is preserving the ideological makeup of the Court, which is already 5-4 Conservative.

What's the plan going forward?
It would hopefully be stacking the court but I don't think Biden is for that unfortunately. I know Warren does and I think Sanders was wishy-washy about it. The idea that Republicans can bend all the norms for Garland and we shouldn't do the same is silly. Stacking the court isn't illegal!

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
It would hopefully be stacking the court but I don't think Biden is for that unfortunately. I know Warren does and I think Sanders was wishy-washy about it. The idea that Republicans can bend all the norms for Garland and we shouldn't do the same is silly. Stacking the court isn't illegal!

I don't know what else you could do. Mandating a specific retirement age would be a logical alernative, lots of other countries do that for Judicial appointments, but I think the Constitution specifies Justices have to be there as long as they're in good standing so that'd be tough to set up age limits.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I don't know what else you could do. Mandating a specific retirement age would be a logical alernative, lots of other countries do that for Judicial appointments, but I think the Constitution specifies Justices have to be there as long as they're in good standing so that'd be tough to set up age limits.
I think our best case scenario is we drop the pretense and just make the Court outwardly partisan. It already is and has been for anyone remotely paying attention so just make it when we have a dem president and senate we stack progressive justices and then when Republicans take power they'll stack it with their judges etc. and it just rotates.

Do you think President Tucker Carlson and Senate Majority Leader Tom Cotton would sit by in 2032 if a progressive SCOTUS strikes down one of their laws? Fuck no. They'd stack that shit as fast as possible.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What I'm saying is, that you can't simultaneously say that voting for Biden means you don't endorse everything he does while saying that voting for Trump does. Well, I guess unless you're speaking from a personal standpoint, which I did. I'm not saying necessarily that voting for Biden means you endorse everything he'll do, but for me personally that's how voting for someone, especially if they win, feels. In the elections I've voted for though, the candidate I chose lost, so maybe I wouldn't feel that way, I don't know though since it's never happened.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying is, that you can't simultaneously say that voting for Biden means you don't endorse everything he does while saying that voting for Trump does. Well, I guess unless you're speaking from a personal standpoint, which I did. I'm not saying necessarily that voting for Biden means you endorse everything he'll do, but for me personally that's how voting for someone, especially if they win, feels. In the elections I've voted for though, the candidate I chose lost.
Voting for a candidate means you're voting for that candidate to win. It doesn't mean you agree with every last thing they say or do. If you don't vote Biden, you are giving a vote to Trump.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Voting for a candidate means you're voting for that candidate to win. It doesn't mean you agree with every last thing they say or do. If you don't vote Biden, you are giving a vote to Trump.
Wow, that was a pretty big whiplash there. Is the implication there that I am responsible for what happens if Trump wins? That'd seem to negate the very first sentence of your statement.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think our best case scenario is we drop the pretense and just make the Court outwardly partisan. It already is and has been for anyone remotely paying attention so just make it when we have a dem president and senate we stack progressive justices and then when Republicans take power they'll stack it with their judges etc. and it just rotates.

Do you think President Tucker Carlson and Senate Majority Leader Tom Cotton would sit by in 2032 if a progressive SCOTUS strikes down one of their laws? Fuck no. They'd stack that shit as fast as possible.
At this point, stacking feels like common sense. It's going to happen inevitably with the court as blatantly partisan as it is and the masks of decorum off.

The question is what will happen when the cycle starts. It could become the new norm, or one side could put their foot down. Either way, it's preferable to the current farce of the Supreme Court being apolitical.

May 9, 2018
Ok Biden wins, replaces RGB and Breyer.

What then?
The point is that discussing who Biden might add to the SC is not relevant. At the least, he won't appoint someone who will definitely try to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Biden may be an unknown quantity for the SC. But Trump is a very known quantity.

There isn't a third outcome to consider here. That's the system this November, which can't be overturned.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
M4A is going to be a fucking CAKEWALK with a conservative majority Supreme Court. Progressive wonderland here we come!
Of course, these are people who unironically use "orange man bad" to characterize and then minimize a substantial chunk of Trump critique while also unironically posting "Biden dementia" memes...but then generating bizarro world whiplash by championing super progressive causes.

Guess they only want to proactively justify their abdication of responsibility, but still - maddening.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
The point is that discussing who Biden might add to the SC is not relevant. At the least, he won't appoint someone who will definitely try to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Biden may be an unknown quantity for the SC. But Trump is a very known quantity.

There isn't a third outcome to consider here. That's the system this November, which can't be overturned.

No doubt Biden will have better nominees and the Supreme Court to my mind is the best argument for voting Biden, but that doesn't really close off the question because winning every Presidential election in the future isn't a sustainable strategy for preserving the Court.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I think our best case scenario is we drop the pretense and just make the Court outwardly partisan
. It already is and has been for anyone remotely paying attention so just make it when we have a dem president and senate we stack progressive justices and then when Republicans take power they'll stack it with their judges etc. and it just rotates.

"we are adding another two justices for what you did to Obama with Merrick Garland, and by the way we need to expand the Federal judiciary in general"

seems like a good opening salvo to me

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Daniel Cameron was on this list for god knows what reason. He's held office for less than a year, has no accomplishments, and didn't even technically qualify to be KY AG because of his lack of experience. I don't think he's ever had a case heard before a judge, and hasn't clerked for one (only for Mitch McConnell).

His most notable "achievements" while in office: trying to get covid prevention measures overturned, getting married, dragging his feet with regards to Breonna Taylor, and having a bunch of elderly protestors arrested for knitting on his front lawn.

He's mentioned because he is puppy dog loyal to Mitch. They can push their agenda without question through him.

May 9, 2018
No doubt Biden will have better nominees and the Supreme Court to my mind is the best argument for voting Biden, but that doesn't really close off the question because winning every Presidential election in the future isn't a sustainable strategy for preserving the Court.
The future is irrelevant.

In January 2021, either Biden or Trump will be President of the United States, and they will likely replace 1-2 SC judges in their tenure. Act accordingly to those facts now.