whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'll start by saying my Gf is someone who just this morning said she wants to start putting Christmas stuff up after Halloween now. I don't get it but whatever.

My thought though is that the world is largely shit for anyone who actually pays attention. And if some silly lights and cheap decorations are going to allow people to ignore that shittiness for even a little while, then have at it. It's not bothering me at all, and it gives them joy. So why not?

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Thanksgiving in Canada is before Halloween so Christmas starting Nov 1st is normal to me.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
You just offended the whole Philippines. We start Christmas in September, having only a Halloween break, and it continues until late January.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
You would hate my Grandma, she's put the Christmas decorations up in my apartment a week ago.

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
Christmas absolutely starts for me at least, right after the end of Halloween. Christmas only lasts 1 month, so I'm definitely going to get as much out of it as I possibly can, before it's summer and hot outside again for months on end

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
I find it incredibly annoying how in the last decade or so people have seemingly started trying to start the celebration of holidays, particularly Halloween and Christmas, earlier and earlier. And I dont mean corporations selling Christmas shit in October, even though thats dumb too.

Normal ass people saying "as soon as halloween ends, its christmas." I saw people trying to claim "spooky season" in August. AUGUST!!!

Lame and annoying. Yes I'm whining BUT I DONT CARE.
f4e5ca7f206f3b022c1e7715979d6135f88799fc.gifv

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
It's really the retail music I can't stand. The retail workers I've asked about it also hate the constant stream of the same music.

Everything else is gravy.

May 22, 2023
Florida
For fuck sake the world is a pile of shit, let people try and find some joy and happiness where they can.
If you want to be miserable or just not deal with it then don't.
What sucks are people who are so jaded and miserable that they get legit salty when others are enjoying something.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Honestly, this complaint sounds so whiny. Like, who cares if someone else wants to celebrate Christmas in November. Or Halloween in August? Letting people enjoy what they enjoy even if it bothers you is the human experience. No one is forcing you to enjoy it as well.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
I don't know why some many people are assuming that if you don't like it yourself you also don't want other people to be happy. Other people's enjoyment is not part of the equation for me, I just don't want to experience it myself. And it is forced on all of us to some extent. I have to work to Christmas music for 10 hours this weekend. It's not the end of the world, but I think it's a perfectly reasonable thing to complain about. If other people like it, I truly am happy for them. Nobody here is trying to take anything away from anybody, jeez.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Honestly as an adult, everything flies by so quickly and before you get a sense of the holiday is gone, so hell yes start it early. Give me halloween for a few months, let me revel in the vibes and then lets do it again for christmas.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I got a little bothered seeing so many giant skeletons with santa hats on November 1st.

Then I passed one dressed up as a pilgrim, that was cool.

But Thanksgiving was yesterday so decorating is now fair game.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
OP just straight up left and stayed miserable.

You chose the wrong place, fool 😂😂😂😂

I'll hug you.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
My mom kind of made me hate Christmas. She'd have the tree up either slightly before thanksgiving or right after with christmas music blaring the whole 1.5 months.

Also glitter.

Fuck glitter.

Oct 29, 2017
Let people be happy.

As far as I'm concerned, spooky season begins Sept 1st. Then from 11/1 to Thanksgiving it's just time to enjoy Autumn and then the Thanksgiving meal and family time.

Christmas season began today.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Christmas season starts on Nov 1 at our house, because it takes several weeks to get all the decorations up.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's so much goddamn garbage in this world that if people want to be spooky or put up holiday lights early honestly why give a shit? My only caveat is poor retail people that have to put up with the music.
When I worked at Walgreens we actually had a killer playlist for Christmas. In general the entire playlist year round was great.

OP
OP
chubbpenguin

chubbpenguin

Banned
Jan 16, 2023
I don't know why some many people are assuming that if you don't like it yourself you also don't want other people to be happy. Other people's enjoyment is not part of the equation for me, I just don't want to experience it myself. And it is forced on all of us to some extent. I have to work to Christmas music for 10 hours this weekend. It's not the end of the world, but I think it's a perfectly reasonable thing to complain about. If other people like it, I truly am happy for them. Nobody here is trying to take anything away from anybody, jeez.

Yea seriously… I'm not saying people should be arrested for this lmfao.

Era likes to pick and choose when "let people enjoy things" applies and doesn't

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
The people more organised or responsible for the occasion start earlier for less stress
Like I know if my mum and aunt weren't prepping months in advance since my childhood none of the family would get shit, the men don't even know what presents anyone has or make any of the food

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
sorry OP, holidays mean good times.

I've been pushing the end-of-year / christmas agenda since the beginning of November. We need to start the good times.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My Wife puts up the Christmas tree before thanksgiving every year. It makes her happy and that's enough for me.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023
Why do you care? You sound like the annoying neighbor who needs to complain about everything.

Live your life and don't worry about what other people do bud.

Its just not really worth responding to the insane vitriol I'm getting for a snarky post about holiday bullshit lmfao

Maybe that tells you something that every miserable thought doesn't need to be posted.

Haribokart

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder how people who cry so hard over nothing like this respond to actual problems.

Life is precious OP, try to enjoy as much of it as you can.

OP
OP
chubbpenguin

chubbpenguin

Banned
Jan 16, 2023
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility, multiple past infractions
I do wonder how people who cry so hard over nothing like this respond to actual problems.

Life is precious OP, try to enjoy as much of it as you can.

Go fuck yourself. I've hugged my dead friends mom while his pale corpse layed next to me. I know what "actual problems" are. Jesus christ.

OP
OP
chubbpenguin

chubbpenguin

Banned
Jan 16, 2023
Why do you care? You sound like the annoying neighbor who needs to complain about everything.

Live your life and don't worry about what other people do bud.

Maybe that tells you something that every miserable thought doesn't need to be posted.

The famously reasonable, justified, and level-headed resetera gang-up. And I'm the miserable one?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like the start of Halloween season being bumped up to August has a lot more to do with that being the time when you actually find decor in stores compared to October where aside from candy & maybe costumes good luck getting anything because that space has shifted over to Christmas already

Rabbit

Feb 24, 2018
I get it, but seeing the colorful lights and cute Rudolph decorations always lift my spirits up in what would be a gloomy time of year for me, so I am all for it.

Haribokart

Oct 27, 2017
Go fuck yourself. I've hugged my dead friends mom while his pale corpse layed next to me. I know what "actual problems" are. Jesus christ.
I would if I could. Surprised you care so much about things like holidays starting early when you have known actual pain in that case, usually it puts things into perspective,

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
The OP was specifically not about retail but about individuals.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Its just not really worth responding to the insane vitriol I'm getting for a snarky post about holiday bullshit lmfao

"Insane vitriol" is beyond hyperbolic. The majority of replies in this thread are variations of "ok whatever" and lighthearted ribbing.
Combined with your other replies in this thread I really think you gotta take a step back because you are getting way too worked up about this.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do believe it makes this time of year less special when it's drawn out for months. But whatever, let people burn themselves out if they want.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
OP understand or realize or admit that halloween and christmas season bring in stores money for various reasons so no point in fighting business policies unless you got something that's gonna make them more.

On a personal note my mom does it because besides the cold winter we use to have making it hard to put up stuff outside once it gets too cold we do it cause some in the family like remembering my dad and his favorite time of year.

Not gonna be crass in saying but this shouldn't others people harmless enjoyment shouldn't be tilting you.