• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you switch from PlayStation to Xbox or vice versa

• Yes

Votes: 358 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,166 76.5%

• Total voters

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I had both through the PS360 years. Now with both online services behind a paywall I can't imagine owning both consoles. Went Playstation only this gen. They make the games I want to play and sadly Xbox doesn't anymore. The 360 was a great machine but those days a long gone. It would take one hell of a lineup to get me to switch and with there not being a single game this gen from Xbox I wanted to play I just don't see it happening.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I wouldn't say never. You never know what happens in the future. But unless Sony fucks up so bad they start losing third parties I don't foresee choosing Xbox over playstation. I just never have regretted getting a playstation and it always gets the games I want. Hell, I got a gaming pc for vr a few years back and I have yet to get around to the 1 or 2 games Xbox/pc gets that playstation doesn't. MS just doesn't focus on the type games I like.

But before nintendo announced the switch I didn't think I'd want a nintendo. I love my switch. I loved the idea of it as soon as nintendo announced it but was wary it would get many games I cared for (that hasn't been an issue). But as soon as enough games were announced for it I could justify it I bought one and I'm so glad. In fact if the game does not have an multiplayer I'm interested in or VR and is offered on switch, I prefer the game on it.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a PC/Sony/Nintendo guy, so I don't need to. But if I were to act like I was a one platform guy, in which case it would be Sony, no. I don't care about enough of Nintendo's exclusives to give up all the AA/AAA multiplats. I don't care about Microsofts exclusives to choose a marginally stronger console over Sony's exclusives.

But if Microsoft made a handful of must have exclusives (to Xbox, not on PC), I'd add it to the rotation years down the road.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
In my case it would be switching which one is my primary console. Last gen is the first time since the PS1 it wasn't PlayStation.

But if I had to choose one or the other? PlayStation.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I was primarily Nintendo as a kid but had 2 ps1s
Then I was primarily Xbox but had a GameCube and a fat ps2
Then I was Xbox 360 but had a ps3 that at about the halfway point of the gen I swapped to maining
Now I'm ps4 console wise (really PC player) that has an Xbox one I got 3 months into launch and only really played quantum break/titanfall/halo 5
And a switch that I play all the time

essentially I'm back to my childhood PlayStation and Nintendo days but am now a primary PC player
next gen will remain the same, PC for multiplats and Xbox games, ps5 and switch for exclusives

edit: I'll add that if I didn't have a PC I would for sure be XSX primarily going into next gen for multiplats and exclusives then ps5 for exclusives same with switch

Last edited:

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I enjoy playstation exclusives too much to switch, granted I also periodically buy xbox. Gamepass was what made me grab a one x.

I've just realized I dont have the time for multi-consoles, so I'll just snag xbox seres x exclusives on pc.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Holy shit at that brand loyalty, wtf.

Power isn't everything, it's all about the games.

Anyway, for me it will always be the Sony + Nintendo combo.

I'll be going for the PS5 because as a whole Sony first party exclusives are fantastic, alongside having a more diverse gaming library including Japanese titles. Plus I have a huge digital library on PS4 which I want to carry over, alongside friends and family who all have Playstation.

Nintendo first party is always amazing and the Switch concept just offers a different way of playing compared to the traditional type consoles.

In regards to Xbox, if they can be more diverse like the OG Xbox that would be great. They have turned the corner from the start of the gen; but I'm not into all this super hard pushing of GP. Xbox always seems a bit cringey, a bit of a try hard at times.

Raggen

Oct 7, 2019
No, I still vastly prefer the exclusives from Sony, and quite frankly their design and strategy as well. I was considering to switch due to game pass, but after I tried an Xbox S I realised I still prefer to buy the games I want to play, and the Xbox exclusives did little for me.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naughty Dog = PlayStation will always be my default console. I've also spent a lot of money on PS4 games that I'm not going to just throw away.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I dont care what piece of plastic I play my games on. So yea.

But MS consumer friendly approach makes the decision easy, buying a PS5 and buying MS stuff on PC - best of both worlds.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I'll likely go from Sony/Nintendo, to Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft.

I can't just drop PlayStation - I want GoW2 too much. But Microsoft's GamePass offering just sounds super tempting, and I'm assuming they'll have at least one big game for me next gen. Everwild has me curious.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I'm not sure what I am going to do for next-gen. I own all three consoles right now, but played them very little until this quarantine period got me into games again. I will probably stick with the Xbox ecosystem due to inertia and the fact that I don't love the Dual Shock's stick layout, but I'm sure the PS5's library will be better

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I'm a PC/Sony/Nintendo guy, so I don't need to. But if I were to act like I was a one platform guy, in which case it would be Sony, no. I don't care about enough of Nintendo's exclusives to give up all the AA/AAA multiplats. I don't care about Microsofts exclusives to choose a marginally stronger console over Sony's exclusives.

But if Microsoft made a handful of must have exclusives (to Xbox, not on PC), I'd add it to the rotation years down the road.

Yeah. If I was forced to pick one platform as much as I love my switch and I love that it functions as a handheld but can be tv as well if I want (usually only when I want to conserve battery, I actually prefer playing handheld), it would have to be Sony. I'd be missing too many games I would want and I'm not hugely interested in Nintendo's first party. Having access to it is a nice bonus (well and I love BoTW, that is the one game before I even got a Nintendo I was really jealous of nintendo players). It's not even sony's first party, it's that third party support while adequate isn't near on par with PS. I love switch for why it differentiates itself from the others but because 3rd party support is not as good as Sony or MS I just couldn't have it as my sole platform. In the end the games are what is most important.

May 26, 2019
Nashville, Tennessee
I grew up playing the PlayStation and PlayStation 2. In 2007 I went with the Xbox 360 and have been Team Xbox since. I did purchase a PS3 as well just so I could play The Last of Us and the Uncharted series. Amazing games. Xbox just seems to have more first party IP's I am personally interested in like Halo, Forza, and Gears of War. I also much prefer the Xbox controller as well as Xbox LIVE. Xbox is also the console the majority of my friends play on and with crossplay becoming more common, I have less of a reason to leave the Xbox ecosystem.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've kind of hopped around between all of the big three for every console gen. As a kid my parents already had a SNES and NES so I played that a lot, then I got a N64 and a Game Boy Color / Advance. After that I got a PS2, then a 360, and then a PS4/Vita and Switch this gen. For a while it was just whatever appealed to me at the time, and it still pretty much is. I don't think I really had any attachment to a specific one of the big three until this gen with the PS4 because the exclusives have just been so great.

I had some high school friends that I used to play games with on the 360, and I really enjoyed that gen and a lot of the exclusives. Going into this gen I was put off by Microsoft's showings for the XB1 so I ended up getting a PS4 instead of sticking with Xbox. In terms of not having people to play with, it kind of sucked for the first year or so until Destiny came out and that's when I met a group of people that I still play games with almost daily. I got the PS4 on day one and that was my only console this gen until I bought a Switch this past December, which I've really enjoyed. Playing Mario, Zelda, Smash, etc. again after not owning any Nintendo consoles for over 15 years has been a blast.

I'm also at the point where I enjoy Sony's first party output way too much to not buy a PS5, whereas the XB1 didn't have much that appealed to me this gen. That being said, MS is making some very good moves so far going into next gen and I'm intrigued. I will definitely get a PS5 but if the Series X looks enticing enough I'll potentially buy that too. Just probably not getting the Series X on day one.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I went back to PlayStation this gen after spending the most I've ever spent on a single gen... with Microsoft last gen.

I'm done with Microsoft in gaming. Nothing they've done or are doing appeals to me anymore.

rouken

Oct 27, 2017
Philippines
No switching, just adding.

This should be the most exciting gen in a long while as both Sony and Microsoft are focused on providing games.

Last edited:

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
I just buy both. I was super disappointed with the Xbox one until the X came out and now it's my primary console. But I can't miss out on those Sony first party titles.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Backlogs you can still manage if you keep the old console (debating not getting any next-gen games at all until I play through most of my current-gen backlog anyways too). Friends Lists aren't as big of a deal if you don't play online a lot, which seems to be a lot of this forum. Comfort with controllers is a fair point but as someone who's switched before it was less of a big deal than I thought it would be.

True. I was attempting to apply general logic to the masses or what most people might do. I realize it's different for everyone. I still struggle using anything outside of the Elite controller though. Really depends on the types of games you prefer.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Every generation i keep an open mind, but Sony just has better games. End up having both by the end of the gen though

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I will always support the company who puts their games on pc... and nintendo

Oct 27, 2017
I already did switch this gen, and will be again next-gen.

I've never owned a PlayStation and was all-in on Xbox since getting it in 2002. Loved it, loved the Xbox 360, but with the Xbox One my friends and I switched to PS4 as the Xbox brand was moving away from what we loved, and on top of that the specs were weaker and the price was higher ($499 weaker Xbox One vs. $399 stronger PS4). We decided it would be smarter to get the console that played third-party games better, as for the most part that's what we play. For about the first half of the gen it was the wise move, but then Xbox (let's be honest, Phil Spencer) turned the ship around, started properly caring about their customers and introduced their amazing work on backwards compatibility, Game Pass, etc.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but Sony first-party games just don't do it for me. I've owned a PS4 since September 2014 and the only Sony game I've played is The Last of Us. It was great, but not enough to miss out on the IPs I truly care about (like Halo, Gears and Forza). Also, the itch to insert my Splinter Cell discs and play enhanced versions of them is so strong that it may be the first thing I do with the Xbox SX, aside from getting The Master Chief Collection. My friends and I are happy we switched, but honestly the past year or two has been tough to watch from a distance. We decided we were switching well before the reveal of the consoles, but it is nice to know we're returning to something that isn't held back by poor management. The really nice thing, too, is that we basically have an entire gen to catch up on, so regardless of how many new games are out when we get the Xbox SX, we'll have a ton of backlog to get through as well. Can't wait!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Outside of the 360 I've owned only Sony systems, owned all of them except the original PlayStation. The only reason I got a 360 was to play Rare's games. Unless Rare comes up with a must-have title, I don't see why I would ever prioritize Xbox over PlayStation, especially if Japanese titles like Persona remain Sony exclusive. GamePass is neat, but ultimately it comes down to exclusives for me at the end of the day.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Even if Sony somehow lost their first party titles and exclusives, I would not switch to Xbox. Nothing about their products or games interest me in any way.

I'd probably stick to my Switch and get a PC.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
I have no loyalty, but my entire game collection is on Xbox digitally.

if PS5 launches with Bloodborne 2 or Spider-Man 2, maybe I will be willing to join PS5. Otherwise, I'm day 1 Xbox.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Already did, several times.
Sega > Ps (1, 2) > Micro (360) > Nintendo since the Wii.
With many handheld (psp, vita, 3ds) and a few others like the cube.
Also got some consoles gifted from relatives like the Dreamcast or Ps3.

I'm not really "switching" to anything in particular, I adapt to what I want and avoid what rubs me the wrong way. And these past years Sony rubbed me the wrong way more than the 2 others but mostly because the focus on AAA more and more is reducing my interest in many ways. But after playing so conveniently on the Switch I just don't see a reason to go back to a classic console.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say I'd switch but I'd happily pick up a series X or get a month of GamePass if they release some first party single player titles that I find interesting.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've generally held PlayStation and Nintendo (both handheld and home console) as essential to my gaming ecosystem.

I've generally enjoyed Xbox platforms. OG Xbox through the first year and a half of Xbox 360 was probably my strongest interest in the ecosystem, but once I encountered a few hardware malfunctions with the Xbox 360 (2 RRODs, 1 dead disc drive), my view of the platform soured, though I stayed committed because it was the "main" console that a lot of my friends played during that generation, and it was a point in my life where I had time to spare for frequent online gaming.

That said, I've personally come around on Xbox again in the current moment, mostly because I really like the Xbox One X hardware, the Elite controller hardware, their backwards compatibility support, and the Game Pass service. I currently play as many games as I can on my Xbox over anything else, with the exception often going to Switch if it's a type of game that I can play at decently-matched graphical fidelity as other platforms, for the benefit of portable play, which tends to frequently apply to indie games, for example — it might not be hitting native 4K like the Xbox One X but they often don't have to pare back visual elements and they tend to run well on the Switch anyway.

Prior to the Xbox One X launch, I was VERY into the PlayStation 4 ecosystem. Historically, I've loved PlayStation exclusive titles since the very first PlayStation and I tend to regard that catalogue just as high as Nintendo's first-party and partner-studio output, hence my historical essential status for both PlayStation and Nintendo. My physical catalogue of PS4 games at its peak was (and still is, even though I've sold off some games) the most physical games I've ever owned in my entire life for a single platform — I had over 80 physical games and maybe 30 or so digital titles too, not including any of the PlayStation Plus games I've accumulated over the years.

In this current moment, I still think Xbox's biggest ecosystem flaw is that its exclusives are generally not that compelling. I enjoy a lot of their exclusives but very few of them resonate with me on the same level as PlayStation or Nintendo. That said, I still play a ton of third-party games, and the rise of the indie developer marketplace has only expanded my interest in third-party games, so the Xbox One X tends to generally serve as a very good machine for me to play the vast majority of my games on and it's what I perceive as my current primary platform. Game Pass has just the right type of curation to its catalogue that I feel like I also get a good amount of positive discoverability out of it, too. In addition to that, the history that Xbox has with backwards compatibility support now gives me confidence that my digital library carries forward to future Xbox platforms almost seamlessly, so unlike the past, I won't feel obligated to hang onto my old Xbox just to play those games... and that's genuinely appealing to me, as someone who actually doesn't own any physical Xbox games. PS4 is likely my last physical game platform — I went all digital on both Switch and Xbox One X.

I'll probably be committed a bit more to Xbox at the outset of next-gen, but I still see PlayStation as essential to my gaming ecosystem so I will also need a PS5 at some point. But I can wait on PS5 until there's a few exclusives I know I can buy alongside the console, as it will likely be an exclusives-only platform for me going forward.

Actual real-world performance differences between Xbox Series X and PS5 will be a point of interest to me, as well as how PS5's backwards compatibility support performs in real-world, too. I know Sony has said "overwhelming majority" which I do feel confident about, but unlike Xbox, I've yet to feel that they're as committed — they made some small efforts to bring old games from past PlayStation platforms to PS4, but it always felt like they stopped shy of ever making it a truly great selection. I know Xbox isn't 100%, but I feel like the overwhelming majority of games from the past that are huge hits are available, and I get more of an impression that they will make more of an effort than Sony has to preserve that level of access to their past library of games in perpetuity as the Xbox ecosystem moves forward... but I suppose Sony has an entire generation coming up to prove that they can make the effort too.

Bit of a shame, too, because Sony truly has an absolutely incredible and long-reaching stable of games across all their platforms that they seem to have either the incapability (for business OR technical reasons) or disinterest in pursuing. If PS4 had made an effort like Xbox One did of reaching as far back as possible, there'd be no question about my ongoing loyalty to PlayStation over Xbox.

tl;dr Traditionally loyal to both PlayStation and Nintendo, but now currently in a young phase of being Xbox-focused (though loyalty to PlayStation and Nintendo will be maintained for access to their respective libraries of exclusives).

Last edited:

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, why not? I'm loyal to games, not boxes. If one of the three gets the right software, I'm open for rolling with them for a gen or two at the expense of the others.

Taneleer

Dec 20, 2017
PNW
I just go with which console has games/functions/controller that I like the most. While I didn't buy current gen consoles until mid/late 2015. I leaned more towards Xbox, love the controller, I liked the focus on BC, gamepass(almost too good!) and having the most powerful console, with often had the better performing multiplatform games.

It's still too early for me to make my choice for next gen, although the controller , my digital library, and gamepass tilt it towards Xbox's favor. Still will probably get a ps5 eventually, especially if the silent hill rumor is true.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Even though I've always been a Nintendo + PlayStation gamer since being a child, I've never really grown attached to anything PlayStation other than the hardware itself. The only first party titles I care about from Sony have taken a backseat this gen and I don't see them making a big comback next gen either. Even then those were only a handful.

What I like about the PlayStation platform, though, are the japanese third party games. As long as the Xbox doesn't provide those on a same base line, I won't ever be able to make the switch. Western games are only secondary to me, and so are western consoles/platforms.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think "switching" is necessary like years past. With services like Gamepass and sometimes the sale deals of consoles (XboxX for $200 something refurbished)

Think it can be easier for folks to play games from various companies. There's also the Gamepass being on PC option.

If I wasn't so busy to be able to play lots of games on different consoles, I would have bought a XboxX when it was on sale...as well as those $1 Gamepass deals.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I have both, so my answer is more about which one I choose as my main system and whether I would switch that.

If you would have asked me at the end of the 360/PS3 gen then I probably would have answered yes, I would be willing to switch. At the time I had around 70 PS3 games and 100 360 games, and the only digital games were the monthly free titles from PS Plus and Xbox Live Gold. At the time I bought an Xbox One first when it was on sale, and picked up a PS4 a couple of months later, but I wasn't really in love with either system.

BC was what did it for me. As soon as I could play some of my 360 digital games on the Xbox One I began making sure that any third party digital titles I purchased were on the Xbox. As BC expanded and I started to build a backlog I got rid of PS plus and most of my focus shifted to Xbox. I still have the PS4 Pro, but now it's just for exclusives.

This gen I won't switch from Xbox being my main platform. I just have too much invested in digital games now to make the switch, plus recently with gamepass I have over 800 different titles on the Xbox, and only around 40 from PS4 this gen

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. When those exclusives are some of the best games in the industry and fit your taste in games it matters a lot. You may not care, but it is a big factor for a lot of people.
I'm well aware, how could you not be in this forum? I think the bigger surprise would be how little it really matters to the vast majority outside this bubble.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't switch, but I will likely get an XSX for exclusives: can't possibly miss out on Hellblade 2 since I loved the first one a ton.