• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
This stuff's been going around, I see. My friend shared this a few weeks ago. This was Season 1 of Cheers.

278945013_10224131026360710_9046286028968739341_n.jpg

Oh no, I'm older than everyone except Coach.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Sandra Bullack is 58 and her love interest in Lost City is 42. Usually don't see this, this way around. She looks amazing.
Ohh just saw that movie on the plane and wondered how old she was. I found her very attractive, she surely doesn't look like 58

Most points are valid, and genetics play a huge role. My 98 year old great aunt looks like early 80s , still wear high heels and contemporary style. Most of my colleagues are in their 40s and look their age mostly because of balding, i m on the small side so look younger than my 47 years, also have hairs left and none really grey

Last edited:

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I remember seeing some camcorder footage of a highschool in the early 90s and everyone in it looked like they were in their twenties despite being teenagers. Which makes sense why 20 something year old were cast in highschool movies a lot. But i also think about what my friends and i looked like in high school and we looked like baby faces compared to 90s teens.
God I need to see this. Feels like it is coming back around though.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
My friends range from mid 20s to mid 40s and the 25-25 range all look the same age, some 35 YO look younger than some 25 too.

Looking at pictures of my mum and her friends when they were mid 30s, my 40YO friends look younger then them by far.

Smoking was far, far more common back then, and people weren't as health concious in geneal.

My grandma, who was a tap dancer into her 70s, ate very well, never smoked, rarely drank... is 93 and looks 10 years younger, she's always looked far more vibrant and healthy than the friends I've seen her with over the years.

Harrison looks in his mid 40s there to me, but a good mid 40s for sure.

Ford was likely 34 in that picture (depending on when filming was).

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never use sunscreen and people tell me I look < 30 (I'm 35).
There are also people who smoke everyday and don't get lung cancer. Health isn't a matter of do x and y will happen it's a matter of changing probability based on behavior. Most people who use sunscreen will look younger as the sun can do a lot of damage to sun (health and looks).

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Just a quick reminder that some establishments are required to card everyone regardless of how old you look.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I'm too lazy to look it up but the perceived ages of the students in the Karate Kid series stood out to me vs the original movies cast quite a bit.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
There's a woman in the drive through of our local Hardees that could be anywhere from 20 to 45. She always smiles at me and half her teeth are broken, her eyes and cheeks are wrinkled. She looks like she had a drug problem in the past. It's so weird because she puts off young vibes but has this thousand yard stare and the voice of a 50 year old southern grandma with a smoking problem.

Someday I'll ask her because she may be older than or she may be old enough to be my daughter.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Man, what the fuck must have all these people gone through to look that old at that age.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

160d7f00-8bcd-472e-af9f-81d88ede72b8

Sebastian Shaw was about 77 when he filmed this

Reminds me of Ian McDarmid as Emperor Palpatine, who was a mere 39 when he first played the role in Return of the Jedi. He then basically aged more realistically into it when he was asked to come back for the role in Phantom Menace 16 years later - which was of course a prequel and paradoxically depicted a younger version - and then further on in Rise of Skywalker 33 years after.

Obviously, the pancakes of makeup and prosthetics help the illusion, but it's still interesting. You don't often see that kind of thing, a younger man portraying a much older man and then reprising him many years later closer to the actual age of the character.

Oct 26, 2017
It was cool to look old back then

Yeah we've become a youth obsessed culture in the last 2-3 decades. For men, the ideal look is now around 28 - 35 and for women it's 18-24.

Before in the 60s - 70s, generally the ideal look for men was 42 - 52. Basically a couple years shy of retirement. And for women it was around 26 - 35. Women have always had it tougher but the ideal look back then was middle-aged or just shy of it. They weren't counting wrinkles like they do nowadays.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
People attributing it to smoking are right to a point, but not by the 90s. Or at least not in the US. Smoking numbers started significantly dropping in the 70s- by the 80s it was down to 32% of adults. As a kid in the 80s only one of my friend's parents smoked indoors and we weren't allowed to play in their house. Second hand smoke warnings were all over the place by the mid 80s.

So 90s teens looking old is way more of a stylistic choice. Generally speaking teens in the early 90s *wanted* people to think they were in their 20s. By the 2000s that gets completely reversed.

Second hand smoke was still a huge problem, go to any bar or pub prior to the smoking bans and you were breathing in almost as much smoke as the smokers. Dedicated smoking areas are little help since the smoke spreads everywhere indoors.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Second hand smoke was still a huge problem, go to any bar or pub prior to the smoking bans and you were breathing in almost as much smoke as the smokers. Dedicated smoking areas are little help since the smoke spreads everywhere indoors.

Second hand smoke is absolutely a health problem, but if a person was hanging out in bars and pubs in the 90s enough that the second hand smoke would prematurely age them then they've probably got other issues. I'd imagine the drinking would cause that a lot faster.

Dec 16, 2017
Second hand smoke is absolutely a health problem, but if a person was hanging out in bars and pubs in the 90s enough that the second hand smoke would prematurely age them then they've probably got other issues. I'd imagine the drinking would cause that a lot faster.
I remember as a kid, family restaurants had smoking sections. It's pretty amazing looking back on how much smoke there was as a kid.

Ayeffen

Jan 27, 2020
London, UK
This video goes through high school every year from 1970 to 2020.

This is really interesting seeing how young people's dress seem to change so much over a span of 40-50 years. 70's and 80's attire and hair as them look pretty old for their age and then the minute the 90's hit it becomes so much less formal. Everyone seems younger.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I look a decade younger than my dad did at my age. He smoked regularly since his early teens while I never touched the stuff.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The cast of Sex and the City 2022 (Just LIke That i think its called?) is actually older than the first season cast of golden girls

medical concerns (smoking, alcohol, etc) and surgery are a factor but also post 1990 people just try to look younger once you are past 30, plus fashion doesn't really change as much nowadays whereas before every decade really set HARD changes. 60s were hippies, 70s was disco, 80s was Gordon Gekko, 90s was colored hair and internet style (miami vice colors), but sometime in the 2000s it all started getting a bit more uniform.

Ok wait, are we sure the pic on the left is from the first season? Those ladies look 75, almost 80... not 55. O_o Especially the 2nd from the left!

only 1 of the Golden Girls was in her 50s. Rue McClanahan was born in 1934. so she was 51.
Betty White was born in 1922. so she was 63 in 85. so was Beatrice Arthur. And Estelle Getty was born a year later in 23.