• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Link.

Vice President Mike Pence announced Thursday that the Pentagon has begun planning to create a Space Force, making it the first new armed service since 1947.

In June, Trump called for the establishment of a sixth armed service, the Space Force, to join the Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard. Thursday's plan, which requires authorization and funding from Congress, would develop forces to defend satellites from attack and other space-related tasks.

"The time has come to establish the United States Space Force," Pence said.

The force would be created by 2020, Pence said, after interim steps that include establishing the U.S. Space Command, which will be led by a four-star officer and draw forces from the other armed services.

When the proposal for a separate force was launched last year, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis resisted it. He wrote to Congress that it would "likely present a narrower and even parochial approach to space operations."

But Mattis signaled earlier this week that establishing a combatant command was a possibility.

"We need to address space as a developing war fighting domain and a combatant command is certainly one thing that we can — we can establish," Mattis told reporters. "This is a process we're in. We are in complete alignment with the president's concern about protecting our assets in space that contribute to our security, to our economy. And we're going to have to address it as other countries show a capability to attack those assets."

belushy

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea, but we're like 10-15 years too early.... and that is me being optimistic as hell.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
US govt been playing too much Cod

afc8966fe94448231454c3fbf82dc6c0b22ffe2c_hq.gif

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody has yet to say what a Space Force would actually DO. Or how they would do it. We don't even have a space shuttle right now.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
We all know it's going to be used in violation of international law, to put weapons platforms in space.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Have anyone, anywhere, bothered to present what this space force is supposed to do and why it can't do that as part of the USAF? Or is this yet another example of Trump's cabinet rushing to retcon what's basically another of his impulses?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Being a Recruiter for the Space Force is going to be such an easy job.

The washout numbers are going to be (wait for it)....ASTRONOMICAL!

Seriously though the amount of people who join this thing thinking their going to be piloting mechs and can't make it through basic is going to be ultra high.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Are they really going to do this? It makes you wonder if they had some contact with aliens and they aren't making it public and think now that they had contact they need a new army to prepare for Space stuff. Anything other than this explanation is literally waste of money.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will probably needed someday. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree with this. However, the focus on space should be about developing new human-capable vehicles and missions. Probes and drones are great for science, but we need to have inspiration to motivate new blood, and what is more motivating than actually going to space?

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the 'by 2020' part is almost like a confession that they're worried if it's not ready by then it'll just be nixed after the election by (hopefully) Trump's replacement.

The only way I could see a 'Space Force' making sense would be to fold it into the Air Force as a sub-command (like the the Marines to the Navy) and then migrate any space related ops across the branches to this sub-command.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem with laying the groundwork for this right now even if it's a decade or so early. May as well be ready for what is likely the inevitable future and plan for it now instead of waiting and falling behind. It wouldn't shock me if other countries are in the process of doing so as well.

I'm just not sure what all it will entail in the meantime.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I think this is in response to the rich going "well, we know we've fucked up the planet beyond repair, and our lineage is going to need to fuck off the planet eventually sooooo we might need some soldiers in space."

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
So, health care is too expensive, yet an armed force to defend the USA against ... what ... junk satellites falling back to earth (?) ... is a totally viable proposal for government funding?

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of working together in space we're going to have to fight each other for every molecule of resources are we?

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean the aliens are coming?

Trump is going to piss them off and get us all killed isn't he

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
Another way to fuck with other countries and divert our tax money from shit we actually need right now, yay.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
Remember this all started with an off script joke from Trump during a speech. But because he was mocked so much for it, he doubled down and now it's actually going to be a real thing.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to throw more money at military shit at least this might put a greater focus on space exploration

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The best thing that could actually come out of this is more funding for NASA and space exploration in general, though I bet if funding does increase, it'll have caveats that it can't be used for environmental research. Cause you know, climate change is a hoax.
I doubt it gets off the drawing board.
It won't, but you totally know they'll spend billions of dollars on that single drawing board.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't these fuckers realize how ridiculous they appear to the rest of the world? Or do they simply not care?

I have no problem with laying the groundwork for this right now even if it's a decade or so early. May as well be ready for what is likely the inevitable future and plan for it now instead of waiting and falling behind. It wouldn't shock me if other countries are in the process of doing so as well.

I'm just not sure what all it will entail in the meantime.
I'd like to think other countries are busy with real problems, but maybe you're right...

Advance_Alarm

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Can we have space TSA next?

"You can't bring that item on board sir. Do you know what the fuck you can do with 4oz of toothpaste in space?"

I'm ready.