julian

Oct 27, 2017
Three things, off the top of my head:

1) It's legitimately illegal 2020 election interference, so it kills the "wait until the ballot box" argument against impeachment.

2) It's very much stepping on the Congress' toes, insofar as the White House has no authority to withhold a whistleblower report.

3) It's a simple, cut and dry narrative of an illegal act, with confessions in the media from Trump and Giuliani.

to add onto point 2, it's also Congress' job to authorize foreign aid. Trump used some bullshit to delay the aid to Ukraine. So he stepped on their toes in a few ways.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Also... quick question. Why does having impeachment hearings impact democrats or republicans? It is not like there is a government shutdown during an impeachment inquiry/ trial.... all I hear is political risk this and political risk that.

Trump tweeted something about Democrats not wanting health care costs to go down and gun control, but they literally sent bills to the senate months ago. Why don't they plaster Moscow Mitch's unwillingness to do his job?

I hate this narrative shit. Also the republicans are saying "why couldn't they have waited for trump to release the transcript or whistleblower info before the impeachment". What the fuck?? They were literally blocking and stonewalling the info until they knew that the impeachment was coming.

their strategy is to blame democrats for government obstruction when McConnell and his buddies have been the obstructionists all along. they'll say the dems are not effective due to Trump Derangement Syndrome or some shit.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I havr a question.

Whats the non impeachment plan?

Hoping the gop was just kidding about stealing elections? Same with no security for our openly hacked/meddled elections?
Trump stops contaminating all bodies of functioning government and having no responsibility to law...?

Thats the status quo? That's what racist.light people want to keep?

The GOP stole 2000, 2004 and 2016 for the president. Let alone stuff like NC and Georgia. They have been stealing elections for decades. There is zero evidence to trust any election result that is close involving the GOP.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
their strategy is to blame democrats for government obstruction when McConnell and his buddies have been the obstructionists all along. they'll say the dems are not effective due to Trump Derangement Syndrome or some shit.

Yea I get that part, i just don't understand why the democrats aren't pushing all that they are doing outside of impeachment, so people know that things are actually being sent for vote, senate is holding it up. It isn't some gray topic, they are walking and chewing gum, but need to get that point across

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Well, here's the video anyway, at about 52:00

"They were walking out to a press conference. I said, nah, ... we're not going to give you the billion dollars. They said, 'You have no authority. You're not the president.' … I said, call him. I said, I'm telling you, you're not getting the billion dollars. I said, you're not getting the billion. ... I looked at them and said, 'I'm leaving in six hours. If the prosecutor is not fired, you're not getting the money.' Well, son of a bitch. He got fired. And they put in place someone who was solid at the time."

There is no comparison to be made between this and what Trump has done. Corruption in Ukraine was regarded as a big issue, Biden was pushing a larger anti-corruption message, the prosecutor was considered a bad egg, at the time he was fired his investigation into Burisma was dormant, there was no reason to believe Hunter Biden was ever in trouble, and all of this was very much in the open.

Aside from some potential bad optics, I don't get some of the reactions here. Am I missing something?

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
EFT-M-bW4AMqmJk

lmao NYT gonna NYT

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Was it just one phone call where Trump mentioned Biden 8 times or was it mentioned over a bunch of phone calls? One transcript would be meaningless if it was the latter.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The Wikipedia article on impeachment is pretty useful. Impeachment most often doesn't involve criminal activity, though that certainly helps. It's more about conduct unbecoming of the office and violations of public trust.

Congressional materials have cautioned that the grounds for impeachment "do not all fit neatly and logically into categories" because the remedy of impeachment is intended to "reach a broad variety of conduct by officers that is both serious and incompatible with the duties of the office." Congress has identified three general types of conduct that constitute grounds for impeachment, although these categories should not be understood as exhaustive:

(1) improperly exceeding or abusing the powers of the office;
(2) behavior incompatible with the function and purpose of the office; and
(3) misusing the office for an improper purpose or for personal gain.

Conversely, not all criminal conduct is impeachable: in 1974, the Judiciary Committee rejected an article of impeachment against President Nixon alleging that he committed tax fraud, primarily because that "related to the President's private conduct, not to an abuse of his authority as President."

Can anyone argue that the President hasn't done these things?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Exposes him and his crime family to legal vulnerability.
Impeachment is a political process, not a legal one. Its only consequences are removal from office, which we know won't happen, not imprisonment. Not any limitations on Presidential power. So I ask, again, impeachment does what to prevent any of what you listed?

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't be happy he is being impeached. I am saying that acting like it's some kind of barrier against further interference is, at best, naive. The plan hasn't changed and the circumstances for enacting it haven't changed. Trump only leaces office by being voted put regardless of how much the GOP cheats.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I'm glad Trump finally found the answer he was looking for last April...

How do you impeach a Republican President for a crime that was committed by the Democrats?
Easy! You commit an even more blatant crime!

Unfortunately, we also found out the answer to his classic question from 2014...

The answer is no.
You wait for the multiple instances of treason.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Adorable response Anakin. Trying to stay focused on the numbers and realpolitick isn't fear or weakness. Believing this bubble of a forum is indicative of the minds of swing state voters is absolute stupidity.

Nah.
Absolute stupidity is thinking weakness wins you elections in the US.
Absolute stupidity is thinking that communicating that the president is above the law is good politics.
Absolute stupidity is thinking that it's a good thing for checks and balances to fail and Democratic institutions to weaken.
Absolute stupidity is fearing what the opposition that hates you will do instead of rallying your base.
Absolute stupidity is thinking that further education and exposure of crimes doesn't have an effect.
Absolute stupidity is thinking that saying trump is fine is better politics than saying he's definitely not.
Absolute stupidity is trying to use words that you can't spell properly.

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah.
Absolute stupidity is thinking weakness wins you elections in the US. (1)
Absolute stupidity is thinking that communicating that the president is above the law is good politics. (2)
Absolute stupidity is thinking that it's a good thing for checks and balances to fail and Democratic institutions to weaken. (3)
Absolute stupidity is fearing what the opposition that hates you will do instead of rallying your base. (4)
Absolute stupidity is thinking that further education and exposure of crimes doesn't have an effect. (5)
Absolute stupidity is thinking that saying trump is fine is better politics than saying he's definitely not. (6)
Absolute stupidity is trying to use words that you can't spell properly.
(1) Never said it did.
(2) Never said it was.
(3) Never said it was.
(4) Never said it was.
(5) Never said that.
(6) Most definitely didn't say that

You're full of piss and vinegar. Lashing out at me, putting words in my mouth. Being a grammer nazi and attacking my spelling. Calm down Anakin, you aren't getting awards for being an internet tough guy. Cute effort though.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
people who don't understand the larger issues and focus on one or two soundbites they heard that sound bad in the context they're already set into

Also, people don't research/read anymore for themselves:

But despite the frustrating reality, the only way to combat or change this cycle is to disrupt it. So consider this is a humble attempt to do just that and provide some clarity to those of you who are too busy to bathe in the minutiae of the Ukranian prosecutor's office and might be susceptible to throwing up your hands and placing a pox on both their houses.

(1) Joe Biden's son, Hunter, did take consulting work for a Ukrainian oil company, Burisma, that was under investigation by a Ukrainian prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, for the work under the prior Russian-allied regime. This is where the true part of the Trump disinformation comes to an end.

(2) The problem was that Shokin actively stood in the way of international investigations that the U.S. and other democratic reformers were pursuing

(3) Vice President Biden, U.S. diplomats, and our E.U. allies all called on the prosecutor to be fired so the corrupt oligarchs could be investigated MORE AGGRESSIVELY. This includes the U.S. ambassador to Ukraine calling out by name Mykola Zlochevsky, the oligarch who ran the company Hunter Biden worked for, as someone this prosecutor was letting off the hook.

(4) Donald Trump was allegedly pressuring the Ukrainian government to investigate a domestic political foe on a bogus conspiracy for personal gain. Joe Biden was pressuring the Ukrainian government to root out corruption in their own country and bring about democratic reforms.

(5) For the kids in the back:

PRESSURING A FOREIGN GOVERNMENT TO INTERFERE ON YOUR BEHALF IN DOMESTIC ELECTIONS = VERY BAD.

PRESSURING A FOREIGN GOVERNMENT TO INVESTIGATE CROOKS = GOOD.
Despite this, many news outlets are simply reporting this chain of events as Biden trying to push out a prosecutor who was investigating a company his son consulted for. While this is, technically, true, it does not include the one fact that is most germane to the situation: that this prosecutor was being pushed out for not investigating the company hard enough.

There's a 2015 speech by the United States Ambassador to Ukraine which lays this case out in explicit detail with regards to Zlochesvky and Burisma:

It bears mentioning that in contrast to the Trump foreign policy where diplomats words are meaningless and are regularly undermined by haphazard Trump tweets based on Fox News segments, during the Obama years—and every other modern presidency—ambassadors spoke on behalf of the government and their comments were vetted by the State Department and White House.

So the Obama administration was not only arguing that they wanted Hunter Biden's client to be investigated, but that this case was one of the prime examples where the Ukrainian prosecutor was failing to do his job and was actively standing in the way of international investigations and colluding on behalf of the oligarch.

To suggest that this was some effort to clear Zlochevsky, you would have to rely on an absurd House of Cardsian conspiracy where Biden had an ambassador plant this false flag criticism into a random speech at an international forum. This theory may seem totally compelling to a thrice-divorced mayor who's a dozen scotches deep at Cafe Milano at 8 o'clock on a Thursday night.
Donald Trump's great innovation as a political actor is that he discovered how to weaponize the media against the country. He realized that the media's traditional attempt to present balance in its political coverage meant that he could do just about anything, and reporters would feel compelled to contact some source to explain how, if you squint, it might be normal and bookers would put someone on air to defend him. The idea of "balance" required the media to always present a dissenting view of Trump, no matter how egregiously wrong his actions might be.

He also realized that the media's imperative to run down every story meant that he could always distract them from one scandal by creating another. It's the political version of chaff: One scandal can end your presidency. A hundred of them is just white noise.

But we don't have to continue living this cycle. We can stop playing along with it. What happened in Ukraine, after-all, is not a game. Sometimes things are cut and dry. Sometimes one man is fighting corruption and the other guy is corrupting all of us, on purpose.

Way too many people here need to realize they're in an information war and to stop being useful idiots. You have the resources at your fingertips to clear that cloud of confusion and this "just asking questions" attitude. Do it.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone correct this if wrong but I say it's likely he will be impeached because the House Of Representatives votes on impeachment. Right now the House consists of 235 Democrats and 198 Republicans. To impeach the President there has to be a simple majority vote. It is likely he could be impeached for that reason. As someone else has said there are already at least 200 democrats on board with the proceedings.

At that point the Senate would then have to vote to convict the President for them to actually be removed from office. Here the vote needs to be 2/3rds for any action to be taken. With Trump and the republicans this is highly unlikely, though of course anythings possible. It has never happened in our history though so far, and I wouldn't get my hopes up that it would this time.

Bottom line is he could well be impeached but not removed from office. It's possible he could be impeached, and then re-elected for a second term. Gross but that is another possibility.

Here's a link with some info https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/what-impeachment-how-does-it-work-n1058331

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(1) Never said it did.
(2) Never said it was.
(3) Never said it was.
(4) Never said it was.
(5) Never said that.
(6) Most definitely didn't say that

You're full of piss and vinegar. Lashing out at me, putting words in my mouth. Being a grammer nazi and attacking my spelling. Calm down Anakin, you aren't getting awards for being an internet tough guy. Cute effort though.
I gave BoiledGoose an award for that post.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE="Nerokis, post: 24850794, member: 4985"

Aside from some potential bad optics, I don't get some of the reactions here. Am I missing something?
[/QUOTE]

People who don't want biden to be the nominee are latching onto this Trump brand nothingburger and running with it.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Impeachment is a political process, not a legal one. Its only consequences are removal from office, which we know won't happen, not imprisonment. Not any limitations on Presidential power. So I ask, again, impeachment does what to prevent any of what you listed?

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't be happy he is being impeached. I am saying that acting like it's some kind of barrier against further interference is, at best, naive. The plan hasn't changed and the circumstances for enacting it haven't changed. Trump only leaces office by being voted put regardless of how much the GOP cheats.

Its not a barrier, and there is nothing that will remove him from office. I'm happy that the government is functioning the way that it was written in the constitution. I said expose. Just like his stormy Daniels shit exposed him to SDNY. We all know there are crimes there, and hopefully states and others follow suit with what impeachment reveals.

This is the only option the government has. So, its better than crying in a closet and having your elections openly hacked. With 0 effort to do anything, and just repeating "VOTE HIM OUT!" That is laughable. Its something, which is better than nothing. I also mentioned his family, who isn't protected by the nonsensical 'guideline" that a sitting president can't be indicted.

Exposure also may put the GOP in a tough position, much like Mitch was yesterday. You have a blatant disregard for the law. So he had to allow the vote for getting the full document of the whistleblower complaint. There was no wiggle room, what so ever, for the party of law and order.

There are a myriad of ways this will play out, for example, with newly revealed information of just how deep this fucking moron is trying to sell the country out, Mitch may be put in another whistle blower situation. Dude almost cried having to allow it. You've already got drips of GOP folks seeing the potential writing on the wall with challenges. So, we might get security bills for the election passed through because they want to save their own asses before its too late.

Its inherently poltiical, but politics is the main barrier preventing our government from working currently.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017

BREAKING: President Trump repeatedly pushed for the Ukrainian president to reopen an investigation of Joe Biden and his son, and asked the Ukrainian leader to work with Rudy Giuliani and Attorney General William Barr on the issue, according to a transcript of the July call.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

BREAKING: President Trump repeatedly pushed for the Ukrainian president to reopen an investigation of Joe Biden and his son, and asked the Ukrainian leader to work with Rudy Giuliani and Attorney General William Barr on the issue, according to a transcript of the July call.

This is the thing supposed to help him right?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

Working with a slimeball and the coverup king.

Of course.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This was what was going to exonerate him?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Its not a barrier, and there is nothing that will remove him from office. I'm happy that the government is functioning the way that it was written in the constitution. I said expose. Just like his stormy Daniels shit exposed him to SDNY. We all know there are crimes there, and hopefully states and others follow suit with what impeachment reveals.

This is the only option the government has. So, its better than crying in a closet and having your elections openly hacked. With 0 effort to do anything, and just repeating "VOTE HIM OUT!" That is laughable. Its something, which is better than nothing. I also mentioned his family, who isn't protected by the nonsensical 'guideline" that a sitting president can't be indicted.

Exposure also may put the GOP in a tough position, much like Mitch was yesterday. You have a blatant disregard for the law. So he had to allow the vote for getting the full document of the whistleblower complaint. There was no wiggle room, what so ever, for the party of law and order.

There are a myriad of ways this will play out, for example, with newly revealed information of just how deep this fucking moron is trying to sell the country out, Mitch may be put in another whistle blower situation. Dude almost cried having to allow it. You've already got drips of GOP folks seeing the potential writing on the wall with challenges. So, we might get security bills for the election passed through because they want to save their own asses before its too late.

Its inherently poltiical, but politics is the main barrier preventing our government from working currently.
That is an answer I can understand.