• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Good Ol' Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Linus, Peppermint Patty, Lucy, Marcie... all wonderful iconic characters and the specials are so well done, back when animation was hand drawn... just look at this arm wrestle between Lucy and Snoopy.

You can just feel the passion and dedication the animators put into this. Watching Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown was a bit part of my childhood as well as Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown. (Just look the water streams in that movie, all hand drawn and it's so beautiful) Also, I try to watch the holiday specials every year, it's a yearly tradition and I can't wait to watch It's Thanksgiving, Charlie Brown real soon.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
I love hand drawn animation. The passion from the animators are literally all over their faces

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Nonstop bullying and abuse for Charlie Brown from his friends and family. Making WW1 cute.

I really disagree.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hand-drawn animation can't be replaced or simulated, no matter how hard some may try.

I loves me some Penauts.

Rhodo

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Caught the first four episodes of Snoopy in Space yesterday and i've been thinking about it all day today. So sweet and endearing, highly suggest it.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
gtKr0vt.jpg

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Classic Schulz humor right here:

latest

The animated specials and movies never approached the wit or poignancy of the strip at its peak.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Its never been good, I always found it real boring and actually surprised its still going.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Every December I borrow the Peanuts collections from the library - '50 through '78 - and re-read them. I loved the strips when I was a kid, and appreciate them even more now. The ones from the '50s and '60s in particular hold up incredibly well - sharp, clever and intelligent. Much of the commentary is still relevant today.
D5E7doxWkAEQCVk.jpg

Magneton

Banned
Jul 31, 2018
I actually agree with you for the most part, OP, but even as a child, the datedness of this particular strip jumped out at me.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
The original 1950s strips were awesomely cynical.

Looking back Charles Shultz even said he couldn't write like an angry young man anymore.

Anger was the best element of Peanuts.

A Catholic mass has movements. Every week the same thing. But one of the movements is a freestyle by the priest. Growing up I went to a Catholic Church and the priest would always free freestyle about Peanuts. The lecture was never explicitly religiously focused, but was more about the emotions of day-to-day life. There is a huge amount of humanity in each Peanuts gag.

Then the priest moved on to whatever priests move on to and we got a new guy who just talked about God the whole time, and eventually my family stopped going to church.

Peanuts is great, but there is also a profound amount of truth in humor. Jokes deserve introspection.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Also find it weird that Apple revived this brand for their streaming service. Is it for nostalgic adults? Must be.

Edit: it also must be cheap.

EraldoCoil

Oct 28, 2017
Cali
My all time favorite, went to the museum last year and it was absolutely amazing to see everything in person.

Grew up with my mom introducing them to me through the specials and comics, can't wait to do the same with my son. I own lots of peanuts items haha

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Peanuts growing up. I get how people today would think it might have been boring, but Schulz had a great wit about him.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I love the series but in terms of animation Walt Disney was running circles around Peanuts (and really a lot of the "cheap" animation of the 60s and 70s) some 30 years prior since animation budgets were later hacked to death across the entire industry.

I watched "The Reluctant Dragon" on Disney Plus this morning and holy shit was the whole animation process back in the "golden age" a massive undertaking. It's no wonder that didn't keep up when everything moved to television.