TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
the only ones I NEED for day one seeing are on D+ and Netflix...........after that its just a cycle of whenever someone has enough for me to watch.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It's a tough business and if you want to be a major player, you have to be all in. I don't see them putting the kind of time and effort needed to make this successful. Forget even being competitive.

Jun 10, 2018
I think the big issue with peacock, outside of its interface and ad problems, is they approached exactly like you would expect a cable company to approach a streamer, and not the way you would expect a film studio to.

It should have been Universal Pictures driven, with original premium content from their largest IPs, such as the Universal Monsters, Fast & Furious, Bourne, Minions, and of course Jurassic
I know it's small potatoes in drawing subscribers, but symbolically speaking the fact that Jurassic Park animated spinoff series is on Netflix and not Peacock kind of speaks for itself.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Peacock was too late to the party. There are already too many streaming services to compete against an NBC only streaming service. Also the name is completely stupid. I don't think I have heard anybody take it seriously.

Stop wasting your money and make a partnership with one of the other major streamers. I'm not paying for peacock when I am alredy paying for Netflix, Amazon, hulu, Disney, Paramount, apple, and HBO. There is just no way unless it can surpass the others in quality, and, it likely can't.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I would like someone who knows way more about sports/media than I do to do more research on this, but I am curious if deciding to dump the NHL and just use Soccer as their big live sports push backfired a bit. European Soccer does great in the prime 18-49 demographic but not great in overall viewership. For TV, this is fine- ad rates are determined more on your 18-49 demo than your overall viewership, so a show that does 2 million viewers but only 200K are 18-49 is a "worse" show than a show that does 600K viewers but 400K of them are 18-49. But streaming services are not like TV- it's more about paid subs and overall usership, not about key demographics. So I doubt that they are getting value for the money they are paying for the premier league when viewed in the context of "making Peacock successful"

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
$50 Olympics pack, giving live streams to all events with and without commentary. Also VOD.

NBC's Olympics coverage is so awful. Just let me watch the events live or on demand.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
I get free sub through Amex, watch the Office occasionally and some Premier League games (they only show half). Will drop it when its no longer free.

TuneTuneGuy

Mar 11, 2020
Peacock and Paramount are too late and too similar. I subbed to one of the two and could not for the life of you say which it was because it didn't have originals and I'm not going to binge a random 90s sitcom at this point in my life.

TheOneRing

Oct 26, 2021
Ironically I think Paramount + will grow the most this year due to Yellowstone and 1883.

Nah. HBO has House of Dragons and The Last of Us coming this year. Euphoria has been doing big numbers for them as well.
To put this into perspective from 2021 in terms of subscriber additions here are the major players:

HBO Max currently at a little over 73.5 million +13 million from December 2020 (includes HBO Cable subscribers as well as HBO Max)

Paramount+ currently at 47 million +17 million from December 2020 (First 9 months of the year as hasn't reported earnings, also includes all ViacomBCS streaming services i.e. Showtime, Noggin, BET+ etc.)

Netflix is at just shy of 222 million subscribers and grew +18 million from December 2020.

Disney+ is at 118 million and grew 24 million from December 2020 (first 9 months as they haven't reported their most recent earnings yet) If you want to include ESPN+ (17 million and up 5 million) and Hulu (44 million and up 4 million) they grew by 33 million in the first 9 months of 2021.

Peacock isn't anywhere close to the companies above, Amazon doesn't regularly report numbers but last time they did they had 175 million subscribers who had used Prime Video in the last 12 months and Apple TV+ has never reported numbers.

I think given international expansion Disney will also win 2022 as they have a big 42 market expansion planned this Summer. HBO Max not having day and date movies will be interesting to see the impact there but I imagine it grows around the same 10-15 million this year, Netflix and Paramount+ may very well be around that number as well.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Got it for free from Tmobile, but I messed up the subscription and their support was terrible. Just promptly cancelled the subscription cause it just wasn't worth the effort to keep. I am completely happy right now with Disney+ and HBO Max.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Good. Lose more money and go back to shilling your shit content on other platforms.

Read the fucking room.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
We only signed up for Peacock to watch the last Olympics...and then they didn't show the Olympics on it. Not in a comprehensible way anyway.

BigMack

Oct 27, 2017
NBC/Universal+ coming in 2023

A couple more big losses like that and they'll be the first streamer to fold and go crawling back to Netflix.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
They'd be wise to let us watch more content ad-supported. A bunch of programs have maybe 1 episode you can watch without paying a fee and then you need to sub. The system as it stands sucks. They should change it to free with the most ad breaks, $5 with fewer, $10 with none. Right now I just don't watch any shows that require me to sub. I pay for enough stuff now -- I love soccer but it isn't enough to get me to pay more than the $85 a month or whatever our Hulu Live now costs.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I only sub to Peacock for a month here and there when my Premier League team's matches aren't on an actual broadcast channel, but even when I have access, I rarely see anything that I truly want to watch outside of soccer/football. These numbers aren't all that surprising.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Too late, and too low on the streaming priority list. Comcast will continue to burn money on Peacock, but it's days are numbered regardless

Oct 27, 2017
To put this into perspective from 2021 in terms of subscriber additions here are the major players:

HBO Max currently at a little over 73.5 million +13 million from December 2020 (includes HBO Cable subscribers as well as HBO Max)

Paramount+ currently at 47 million +17 million from December 2020 (First 9 months of the year as hasn't reported earnings, also includes all ViacomBCS streaming services i.e. Showtime, Noggin, BET+ etc.)

Netflix is at just shy of 222 million subscribers and grew +18 million from December 2020.

Disney+ is at 118 million and grew 24 million from December 2020 (first 9 months as they haven't reported their most recent earnings yet) If you want to include ESPN+ (17 million and up 5 million) and Hulu (44 million and up 4 million) they grew by 33 million in the first 9 months of 2021.

Peacock isn't anywhere close to the companies above, Amazon doesn't regularly report numbers but last time they did they had 175 million subscribers who had used Prime Video in the last 12 months and Apple TV+ has never reported numbers.

I think given international expansion Disney will also win 2022 as they have a big 42 market expansion planned this Summer. HBO Max not having day and date movies will be interesting to see the impact there but I imagine it grows around the same 10-15 million this year, Netflix and Paramount+ may very well be around that number as well.
This is pretty cool breakdown.
All their big shows and I'm watching The Mentalist. I love the variety of programming they have.
Yea, content wise, it's hard to argue HBO Max doesn't have the strongest out of the major streaming services.

Oct 27, 2017
Man I can't wait for streaming service saturation in video games in 10 years

my guess is some services like peacock that are smaller eventually strike deals to fold into others like Disney plus, etc

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
The Office will be on another streaming service in another 5 years when Peacock dies

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a trailer for Bel-Air and it looked really nice. Not sure I would subscribe to Peacock for it, but I would binge-watch on a trial membership.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Peacock can't compete with D+, HBO Max or Netflix. Simple as that.

But they'll keep dumping money into the thing because... it's 2022 and that's what you do.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Peacock and Paramount are too late and too similar. I subbed to one of the two and could not for the life of you say which it was because it didn't have originals and I'm not going to binge a random 90s sitcom at this point in my life.

Paramount has been around for many years now under a different name. It's also got actually legitimately good and popular shows. It's name shouldn't be uttered in the same breath as Peacock. It's better both for users and investors.

I think Paramount can succeed. It's doing the right thing. Peacock cannot.

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
So… they would have been more profitable licensing their content and doing nothing instead of building another streaming service?

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
I get if for "free" with my internet but the box/remote for it sucks. Only time I use it if want something on in the background, so I'll put Parks N' Rec on.

Oct 25, 2017
I literally was planning to let my one year sub expire next week. The service just isn't worth it.

I also cancelled Disney+ and ESPN+ last week. Additionally I cancelled Netflix last year. Too much choice is a bad thing. Going forward HBO, Hulu (my wife's fav show is on there) and amazon prime (more for delivery) are my mainstays. Everything else I'll just sub for a month then cancel once I've watched what interests me.

Thank you, a few minutes to put together so glad you like it.

It was a really informative post. Nice job!

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
So… they would have been more profitable licensing their content and doing nothing instead of building another streaming service?
They still do license some of their content. They also realize they need to have a DTC service to mitigate losses attributable to cutting the cord in the future.

Unlike Sony, NBCUniversal is of scale that they're not just stalling until someone acquired them with an "arms dealer" strategy.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
NBC/Universal+ coming in 2023

A couple more big losses like that and they'll be the first streamer to fold and go crawling back to Netflix.

It isn't a big loss by streaming service standards. Indeed, one of Peacock's big issues is that they're not losing enough, because they're not investing in content as much as everyone else is. Disney, HBO, Paramount and historically Netflix are burning WAY more than a billion and a half cash a year. Even Apple are burning about that much.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Comcast has to be seen to be part of streaming to satisfy Wall Street but at the same time they don't want to cannibalise their dwindling but still very profitable cable business. As such this 'half in, half out' approach means that they aren't serious about competing in the 'streaming wars'. Post Olympics and having the EPL in their corner with the WWE is probably what got them to 9 million but where will the growth come from?

As I've said before I don't know where Comcast goes from here with NBC-U, while it is still doing well now where will it be in five/ten years time? If it has dwindled to a point where it is just a minnow against the likes of Netflix, Disney and WB/Discovery then they have little to no leverage when it comes to a possible merger with another player. Then they'll have to sell themselves for parts or accept a much lower deal.

While Universal doesn't have the big ticket IP that WB and Disney has they could still have exclusive Fast&Furious, Illumination and Jurassic Park series on Peacock if they wanted to but would they really want to risk their 'AAA' IP on what is still a much smaller streaming platform when it could get a global debut on the likes of Netflix etc? And while they have the Pay 1 window for their films in the US it is a shared window with Amazon so even that feels like they're pulling their punches with their own content, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Unless they finally 'cash out' of Hulu and place all that content onto Peacock (the worry then being that all their NBC etc content won't be as visible on Peacock as Hulu and thus could decline in popularity etc) it feels like Comcast aren't convinced by Peacock themselves.

Ironically I think Paramount + will grow the most this year due to Yellowstone and 1883.

The question is really if Comcast deems it worth it for the next few years.

I don't know any major new show from NBC.

Paramount at least found a hit in Yellowstone.

Yellowstone is actually streaming exclusively on Peacock in the US rather than Paramount + .

Oct 25, 2017
Comcast has to be seen to be part of streaming to satisfy Wall Street but at the same time they don't want to cannibalise their dwindling but still very profitable cable business. As such this 'half in, half out' approach means that they aren't serious about competing in the 'streaming wars'. Post Olympics and having the EPL in their corner with the WWE is probably what got them to 9 million but where will the growth come from?

As I've said before I don't know where Comcast goes from here with NBC-U, while it is still doing well now where will it be in five/ten years time? If it has dwindled to a point where it is just a minnow against the likes of Netflix, Disney and WB/Discovery then they have little to no leverage when it comes to a possible merger with another player. Then they'll have to sell themselves for parts or accept a much lower deal.

While Universal doesn't have the big ticket IP that WB and Disney has they could still have exclusive Fast&Furious, Illumination and Jurassic Park series on Peacock if they wanted to but would they really want to risk their 'AAA' IP on what is still a much smaller streaming platform when it could get a global debut on the likes of Netflix etc? And while they have the Pay 1 window for their films in the US it is a shared window with Amazon so even that feels like they're pulling their punches with their own content, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Unless they finally 'cash out' of Hulu and place all that content onto Peacock (the worry then being that all their NBC etc content won't be as visible on Peacock as Hulu and thus could decline in popularity etc) it feels like Comcast aren't convinced by Peacock themselves.

Yellowstone is actually streaming exclusively on Peacock in the US rather than Paramount + .
Man, you almost need a map to keep track of what shows are on what services.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Man, you almost need a map to keep track of what shows are on what services.

Especially with Viacom stuff given that South Park is on HBO Max (hence the need for the 'TV movies' on P+ to fill the void) and the live action Airbender series on Netflix which is why Paramount are doubling down on a slate of animated projects again for P+.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
I currently pay for Prime and Netflix, get HBO Max via ATT, and share my family's Disney+ account. I'm maxed out on streaming services. There's just nothing interesting enough to get me into the other streaming services.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Also worth noting that a free, ad supported version of Peacock launched on Sky (which Comcast also owns) in Europe (certainly the UK) which makes me wonder how that figured into their sub figures/finanicals...

How long does HBO have South Park for?

Off the top of my head I think it's 2025. Though in saying that i wouldn't be surprised of Viacom is sold off before then, likely to Warner Bros Discovery given the very narrow field of plausible buyers.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Also worth noting that a free, ad supported version of Peacock launched on Sky (which Comcast also owns) in Europe (certainly the UK) which makes me wonder how that figured into their sub figures/finanicals...

I doubt much, there's very little content on UK Peacock that Sky didn't have the rights to anyway. Content spend must be in the single digit millions pa.