I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Journey for Elysium

Journey For Elysium is a story-driven VR game inspired by Ancient Mythology. Players will take on the role of an unnamed hero who has passed away. He finds himself on a boat in the Underworld trapped between life and death. In order to reach Elysium and obtain redemption, the mysterious traveller must use all his wits and skills in a series of increasingly elaborate twists and challenges. Along the way, he will discover more about his past.

Key features Puzzles:
Journey for Elysium brings back the excitement of classic adventures games of the '90s and revamps them for a new era. Solve an increasingly complex range of puzzles, challenges and tests to move the story forward.

A lot to discover:
immerse yourself in a rich world, grounded between history and myth. Explore breathtaking environments and unravel surprising facts of the Classical antiquity. Connect with your senses to this VR storytelling experience.

Mechanics:
travel on the river Styx and explore the underworld with the rowing mechanic, the most important travelling method in the game. This natural way of transportation is also very comfortable and immersive.

Two modes:
when you are not rowing, you can experience two different ways of moving around thanks to the Comfort or Immersive modes.

Art style:
enjoy the black and white art style inspired by the paintings of Gustave Doré. The high contrast art style fits best in recreating the desired atmosphere of the underworld. In addition, you will find golden highlights here and there, which will guide you further along the way.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So HTC put out 3 new videos for the Cosmos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPJ-KiNNWX0 On Comfort
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSMDnSrBgd4 on the Controllers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1z7zP_imqc and last one Simply titled Reveal

All three are under 1 minute long. not really any new info in them.
It really baffles me how quiet they're being on Cosmos. Nobody likes HTC and with the Rift S and Index now out HTC doesn't exactly have the luxury of staying silent

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not really sure what they're trying to do with the cosmos.
I said this last month but HTC is acting like its 2016 and they're the only viable option for a true VR experience. They certainly aren't the market leader anymore and people are just dying to move away from HTC lol

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
Looks like the HTC Cosmos will be £700 (maybe).
Really considering getting this as my first headset since I'll be doing seated VR anyway. The HP reverb would be nice for the resolution, but a lot of people seem to have issues with it an HP customer support seems horrendous.

Oct 25, 2017
No Man's Sky Beyond, which includes full VR support, is coming out August 14th. I can't wait to try it; the game is perfect for VR.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
No Man's Sky Beyond, which includes full VR support, is coming out August 14th. I can't wait to try it; the game is perfect for VR.

I've always been a PS4 NMS player but I'm tempted to pick it up on Steam for this... I have PSVR but I'd love to play this with Touch controllers and the power of my gaming PC. I guess I'll wait for some impressions on both side.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone managed to get Nvidia 3D Vision Helix mods to work well with their headset(s)? I've been banging my head off and on trying to get this to work but the best I seem to manage is an sbs mode that looks like shitty glasses 3d you see at the movies, doesn't look like geometry 3d at all like it's supposed to. Probably doesn't help that I get an error message about not being able to change registry settings for the Nvidia Stereo 3D driver (I've read one of the more recent Windows update broke compatibility for 3D Vision), though the install completes and I'm able to see the red/blue anaglyph in the test demo in Nvidia Control Panel.

Anywho here's the guide and site with the mods I used, maybe someone will have better success than I did:

FYI been using Virtual Desktop on Quest in conjunction with the above.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
I know this is a PC VR thread, but I'm not sure where to discussion Oculus Quest stuff?

I'm trying to figure out what software/apps are the best to showcase the Quest to my friends and family. Anyone have any good recs? Thanks!! :)

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been a PS4 NMS player but I'm tempted to pick it up on Steam for this... I have PSVR but I'd love to play this with Touch controllers and the power of my gaming PC. I guess I'll wait for some impressions on both side.

Someone mentioned in the NMS Announcement thread that you can use the PSVR to play VR games on Steam. It's worth taking a look at least.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Someone mentioned in the NMS Announcement thread that you can use the PSVR to play VR games on Steam. It's worth taking a look at least.

I've got an Oculus Rift so I don't need to use the PSVR. I own NMS on PS4 (and own a PSVR) but I would rather use my Rift/Touch controllers.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got an Oculus Rift so I don't need to use the PSVR. I own NMS on PS4 (and own a PSVR) but I would rather use my Rift/Touch controllers.

Fair enough! I'm looking to use a PSVR (That I'll borrow hahaha) with NMS on PC at least for visor, since VR Headsets in my country are incredibly cost-prohibitive.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

This is me. Going to try Psvr and waitnon impressions. Managed to stay strong during steam sale - usually goes on sale every 6 weeks

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

So this game seems to have come out with absolutely no fanfare. It is a pretty faithful rendition of the board game with a beautiful Japanese aesthetic. It only has one user review at the moment in Chinese and the discussion forums are dead even though this released on the 18th of July. Sad to see this game go under the radar like that. The developer also seems to be making a digital version of The Captain is Dead in Feb. 2020 so I'd like to see them continue to translate more board games into digital form.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Trying to play Cyberpilot on my Rift S and it runs like utter dogshit. Horrible stuttering, even on low settings, seems to be a problem with the game rather than my rig. Going to refund it I think.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Some VR sales data:

"Sony's PlayStation VR led what appears to be strong demand for tethered VR headsets, with a market revenue share of 30% compared with Oculus's 25% and HTC's 22% — far more than Google's 11% and Samsung's 5% shares, with "others" holding the remaining 6%. Strategy Analytics suggests that Sony's numbers will likely continue to grow thanks to the promise of PS5 support for PSVR, while HTC and Facebook will be aided by enterprise and education adoption of their platforms.

Consequently, midrange to high-end headsets from Sony, Facebook's Oculus, and HTC earned 77% of all revenue generated globally by VR headsets last year, while prior top vendors fought for shrinking shares of the lowest-end pie."

sa-vr.jpg

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Some VR sales data:

"Sony's PlayStation VR led what appears to be strong demand for tethered VR headsets, with a market revenue share of 30% compared with Oculus's 25% and HTC's 22% — far more than Google's 11% and Samsung's 5% shares, with "others" holding the remaining 6%. Strategy Analytics suggests that Sony's numbers will likely continue to grow thanks to the promise of PS5 support for PSVR, while HTC and Facebook will be aided by enterprise and education adoption of their platforms.

Consequently, midrange to high-end headsets from Sony, Facebook's Oculus, and HTC earned 77% of all revenue generated globally by VR headsets last year, while prior top vendors fought for shrinking shares of the lowest-end pie."

sa-vr.jpg
That is actually pretty good for htc, a lot better than I would assume for HTC

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Some VR sales data:

sa-vr.jpg
a bit of an update to this. seems Gear VR is pretty much dead now

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
DiRT Rally 2 now has VR support and is live on the Oculus store. The Steam version also has OpenVR support.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Sports Scramble is coming out today on the Rift, it was previously a Quest exclusive. It's a pretty good game and very reminiscent of Wii Sports.

EDIT: Cross-buy as well for anyone that already has it on the quest.

Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I can't get Killing Floor Incursion to work on Rift S, so odd. First game that just refuses to work, everything stutters like mad, the tracking of all movement is jittery, the head placement is nowhere near the body, its unplayable.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Has anybody tried out Dirt 2.0 yet?

I am thinking of picking it up but would like to know if it's a good implementation, its works with Steam VR without the need for Revive.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
GNOG is free on the Epic Game Store this week and is great in VR. Make sure you grab it.

Dec 23, 2017
Was looking at some upcoming VR games and two games caught my eye.

(EDIT: It seems Horizon Beyond can be completed in 20 minutes, not sure how I feel about that)

--------------------------------

I love the aesthetic of these two games, I hope these turn out really well.

Last edited:

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Did a dive back into In Death, they've added quite a bit since I last played it, still pretty fun. Like a Bloodborne light, seems to take quite a while before you get some variety in enemies and combat though.

Also tried Tethered, seems to have potential, but a bit to "light" as well. But will give it another try later on.

Tethered also brought forth a bug in VR games that's been annoying me since the start (and has been brought up by others before), and I'm surprised this bug's still there, and that there isn't more talk about it, not even an easy fix for it with Advanced VR settings, and it's that some VR games switch over Left/Right hand controllers.
As in, SteamVR shows you're holding the right controller in the right hand, but when in-game, the game flips your hands. Was annoying enough with Vive controllers, but then you could just switch them in your hands to get the proper hand matching in game. This is no longer a viable solution with the Index controllers.

How are the rest of you dealing with this, specially with Index?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DiRT Rally 2 now has VR support and is live on the Oculus store. The Steam version also has OpenVR support.

Will try this out later, it has a pretty hefty download.

I might pick this up thanks as long as the controls are accurate.

GNOG is free on the Epic Game Store this week and is great in VR. Make sure you grab it.

Nice!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Tethered also brought forth a bug in VR games that's been annoying me since the start (and has been brought up by others before), and I'm surprised this bug's still there, and that there isn't more talk about it, not even an easy fix for it with Advanced VR settings, and it's that some VR games switch over Left/Right hand controllers.
As in, SteamVR shows you're holding the right controller in the right hand, but when in-game, the game flips your hands. Was annoying enough with Vive controllers, but then you could just switch them in your hands to get the proper hand matching in game. This is no longer a viable solution with the Index controllers.

How are the rest of you dealing with this, specially with Index?
IIRC this was an old bug with Unreal Engine VR games. It would recognize the controller you turned on first as the right hand (or left hand, can't remember) regardless of which one it's supposed to be. If you turn them on in order with that in mind, that should get around it. I can't tell if Tethered is an Unreal game or not, but I think it came out when that was still a thing.

Mr_DyZ

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I'm interested in getting into VR. Not super interested in having to set up a couple of cameras in my room, nor am I interested in self-contained units like the Quest. I'm not opposed to setting up sensors, but i'd still like to bypass that if possible.

With this in mind i've been checking out the Rift S. What are the general opinions of most that have it? I know the Cosmos is coming out soon, but I haven't read terribly great things about HTC in general. Is the rift s the best bang for your buck? Price really isn't that huge of a deal for me, but the Index seems a bit overboard for me (as someone super entry level).

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in getting into VR. Not super interested in having to set up a couple of cameras in my room, nor am I interested in self-contained units like the Quest. I'm not opposed to setting up sensors, but i'd still like to bypass that if possible.

With this in mind i've been checking out the Rift S. What are the general opinions of most that have it? I know the Cosmos is coming out soon, but I haven't read terribly great things about HTC in general. Is the rift s the best bang for your buck? Price really isn't that huge of a deal for me, but the Index seems a bit overboard for me (as someone super entry level).
I don't have one but Rift S sounds like what you'd want. Impressions have been good ever since they improved the tracking shortly after launch.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018

S is overpriced for its specs/features, but it's a good headset if your IPD falls between 61.5mm and 65.5mm. The further you are outside that range, the more I would recommend something else. If money's not a concern, I would probably suggest at least waiting to see what Cosmos delivers.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
S is overpriced for its specs/features, but it's a good headset if your IPD falls between 61.5mm and 65.5mm. The further you are outside that range, the more I would recommend something else. If money's not a concern, I would probably suggest at least waiting to see what Cosmos delivers.

I'm 100% in the other spectrum, Rift S is like the best bang for buck VR imo. $399 and offers an amazing VR experience with fantastic tracking (after the 1.39 update its amazing) with no external sensors needed, one of the crispest and clearest screens, and it's Passthrough+ feature is super fucking handy. The only downsides are the subpar built in audio and lack of physical IPD adjustment (if you fall outside the range of Rift S).

If you want something better, the next step up is like Index at $1k? HTC Cosmos at $850 and we don't really know much bout it, and its HTC? That's such a huge difference that I dunno how Rift S is overpriced. It's $399 for such a well rounded VR system.

Now if you want to talk about overpriced VR, we can talk PSVR... I totally regret purchasing my PSVR lol. That thing needs to be like $200 with everything included but it's like what, $300-350 MSRP for a bundle including Move controllers?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% in the other spectrum, Rift S is like the best bang for buck VR imo. $399 and offers an amazing VR experience with fantastic tracking (after the 1.39 update its amazing) with no external sensors needed, one of the crispest and clearest screens, and it's Passthrough+ feature is super fucking handy. The only downsides are the subpar built in audio and lack of physical IPD adjustment (if you fall outside the range of Rift S).

If you want something better, the next step up is like Index at $1k? HTC Cosmos at $850 and we don't really know much bout it, and its HTC? That's such a huge difference that I dunno how Rift S is overpriced. It's $399 for such a well rounded VR system.

Now if you want to talk about overpriced VR, we can talk PSVR... I totally regret purchasing my PSVR lol. That thing needs to be like $200 with everything included but it's like what, $300-350 MSRP for a bundle including Move controllers?
Well you could still get a Vive all in for $499 nowadays plus the deluxe audio strap (a must IMO) which would put you at $599. That said, you'd be stuck with the Vive Wands unless you wanted to shell out the almost $280 for the Index controllers which by that point, you should just get an Index. Or get a Windows MR headset.

Last edited:

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018

It's an unflattering comparison of their own making. The Quest is also $399 but adds dual OLED panels, physical IPD, a relatively powerful SOC with ample RAM, storage, battery, etc.. and an upgradable audio path. S at the same price has none of that and shares a single low range LCD panel with the Sub-$199 Go. By all accounts it seems destined to be a $299 HMD, but is priced at $399 cause there are too many parties involved and Lenovo evidently demands a healthy margin. Even in the PC space specifically, the frequently discounted (to $299) Odyssey+ makes it look like a terrible value in terms of hardware. Oculus' software and no fuss integration are the stars of the show with S, certainly not the hardware. The reason I would recommend waiting to see Cosmos is because he said price isn't an issue, and it could be the best inside-out-tracking HMD (one of his requirements) by a fairly commanding margin. Fixed IPD @ 1280x1440/eye Vs. Mechanical IPD @ 1440x1700/eye is going to be a pretty substantial upgrade.

Last edited:

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
It's an unflattering value comparison of their own making. The Quest is also $399 but adds dual OLED panels, physical IPD, a relatively powerful SOC with ample RAM, storage, battery, etc.. and an upgradable audio path. S at the same price has none of that and shares a single low range LCD panel with the Sub-$199 Go. By all accounts it seems destined to be a $299 HMD, but is priced at $399 cause there are too many parties involved and Lenovo has to turn their profit. Even in the PC space specifically, the frequently discounted (to $299) Odyssey+ makes it look like a terrible value in terms of hardware.

I'll give you the Quest example, that is a pretty damn good price for that but it's also a closed system unlike the other VR systems. But the hardware included at that price point is priced to move and it's moving well! It does have one less inside-out camera for tracking, and slightly less refresh rate too though.

That Samsung Odyssey+ is like $499 everywhere right now so that also doesn't count :P And don't the Oculus Touch controllers and tracking compare favorably to the Odyssey+?

People were buying Rift S for $330 using Lenovo and Microsoft promotions but that also doesn't count, it's $399 normally.

All I'm saying is, if Rift S is overpriced...then the other more expensive VR in the 800-1000 sets are super duper overpriced lol.

Where are the true VR 2.0 systems? That's where I feel $800-1K sets should cost, not what these current upper tier VRs are at these ridiculously high prices that don't offer all that much more for a hell of a lot more money

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I'll give you the Quest example, that is a pretty damn good price for that but it's also a closed system unlike the other VR systems. But the hardware included at that price point is priced to move and it's moving well! It does have one less inside-out camera for tracking, and slightly less refresh rate too though.

That Samsung Odyssey+ is like $499 everywhere right now so that also doesn't count :P And don't the Oculus Touch controllers and tracking compare favorably to the Odyssey+?

People were buying Rift S for $330 using Lenovo and Microsoft promotions but that also doesn't count, it's $399 normally.

All I'm saying is, if Rift S is overpriced...then the other more expensive VR in the 800-1000 sets are super duper overpriced lol.

Where are the true VR 2.0 systems? That's where I feel $800-1K sets should cost, not what these current upper tier VRs are at these ridiculously high prices that don't offer all that much more for a hell of a lot more money

You'll find no disagreement here, they absolutely are. I think all the PC HMD makers have come to the realization there is no mainstream critical mass that's going to buy a gaming PC to run VR. So in the absence of that, they've decided to just price in line with the "Gamer" demographic that's buying $1000+ 27" monitors, $800-$1500 GPU's, and $300+ RGB lined cases.

Last edited:

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
Put me as another in the camp of not seeing the Rift S as overpriced. It is a fantastic piece of hardware and seems to be one of the best bangs for your buck. The screen looks great for the cost and the tracking is great now. I will say the audio is not the best but at least can be solved with headphones.

Currently, the HTC Vive is the absolute worst headset to get if you are looking for cost vs quality. Great tracking but the screen is showing its age.

I have not used the Odyssey+ but from what I have read, the screen between it in real world scenarios and the Rift S are extremely close. The biggest difference is the controller tracking which the Rift S is supposedly superior. I keep seeing the recommendation that the Odyssey+ is good for Video type content and the Rift S is better for games.

Oct 25, 2017
After using the Index as my primary headset, I cannot imagine going back to the Vive or OG Rift. The screen is just so inferior, OLED be damned. Sounds like the Rift S looks great too.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
After using the Index as my primary headset, I cannot imagine going back to the Vive or OG Rift. The screen is just so inferior, OLED be damned. Sounds like the Rift S looks great too.
Once you get over the black levels the screen is really fantastic, I was very surprised with how good the colors are.

The controllers I loved straight away but found awkward at times but you get used to them after a week and they feel really natural in my hands now.

The high refresh rate is nice and you can feel it in fast moving games but for most games I have preferred supersampling at 90hz as the better the image quality the more immersed I become.

Need some new games to come out now though.

Oct 25, 2017
Once you get over the black levels the screen is really fantastic, I was very surprised with how good the colors are.

The controllers I loved straight away but found awkward at times but you get used to them after a week and they feel really natural in my hands now.

The high refresh rate is nice and you can feel it in fast moving games but for most games I have preferred supersampling at 90hz as the better the image quality the more immersed I become.

Need some new games to come out now though.
Yep these are my feelings too. Grabbing stuff without using a button did take some getting used to, but it does feel more natural. It doesn't quite feel like actually picking up the object, though. I can't wait to play No Man's Sky in VR, it could really be a milestone for VR.