• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Words matter, they have power. It is important to be clear about what the issues are otherwise we are just a frothing ball of indignation with no direction.

When it comes to these particular changes, they are so minor. Who cares? Seriously.

I just get annoyed when every time a company alters it's game slightly to fit national tastes it is labelled as censorship.

Obviously a lot of people care. I don't know why you seem so intent on minimizing the issue just because you don't care.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are skulls bad luck in China? Will they also change the number of the game as well, since I believe Six is a very unlucky number in China?

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's not just about some aesthetics. At least, not to me anyways. It's that Ubisoft is fully okay with a foreign government's draconian, nonsensical rules changing the game experience for people all over the world. So what's next? China doesn't like a certain operator's talents, do those change? What about if china wants entire map removed from the rotation because of it's aesthetic? etc etc. It's just a crock of shit that they would bend to this, especially with some of these ludicrous changes (ie. removing a blood smear, from a game that is 5 v 5 gun warfare, with blood spraying off of every shot).

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
People don't seem to get how user reviews for service games work. They're always just a reflection of the current mood of the community. Most of the time it's complaints about balance patches, skins costing too much, updates being too slow, and the like. This really isn't any different. The idea that this is tarnishing the sanctity of Steam reviews is frankly ridiculous.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but it's weird to see localization in an unproven market determine how the game is presented in the largest markets.

RB6 is a military themed FPS. Westerners, particularly Americans eat that up. If this was a Chinese game, entering the American market, no one would care about the concessions made to appease censors

China is not an unproven market at all. It's now by far the largest market for games spending in the world ahead of even the United States. China also eats up military first-person shooters. Crossfire, a Counter-Strike-like, has been one of the highest grossing games in the world for years with revenues of hundreds of millions of dollars.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
China is not an unproven market at all. It's now by far the largest market for games spending in the world ahead of even the United States. China also eats up military first-person shooters. Crossfire, a Counter-Strike-like, has been one of the highest grossing games in the world for years with revenues of hundreds of millions of dollars.

I didn't think military fps was huge in China. Are there any other examples?

Oct 27, 2017
So has there been any reaction from Ubisoft?
c8e.gif

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Crossfire is one of the top 5 played games in China from what I can remember.
They're appeasing the whiners: https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/...ate-on-the-aesthetic-changes-coming-with-y3s4

We have spent the last week working on solutions and have decided that we will be reverting all aesthetic changes.

WHEN ARE THESE CHANGES BEING REVERTED IN THE INTERNATIONAL VERSION?
We will begin reverting these changes alongside the launch of Wind Bastion so no player is impacted; we ask you to be patient if some elements remain. We will carefully remove them all to the best of our ability considering the short timeframe and with the lowest impact on the season's launch date and our build stability.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Good. While review bombing may seem childish, consumers are only left with avenues such as this to make their voice heard. Ubisoft made an unquestionably shitty decision, and people are right to express their thoughts on that.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear this. Its ridiculous that they were so willing to impact other users over this. In the grand scheme of things is it a small thing? Sure. But the thought of rolling back all regions because of one regions censors wagging their fingers is absurd to me.