• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Why not?

For instance, Shenmue III is a 50€ games with 7k followers. Assuming the ratio is roughly the same despite the price difference, that would be 105k sales over a year.

That would lead to a money-hat of 4.6 million euros, which is roughly 73% of the Kickstarter total.

YA7mIEu.png
23Y0VZY.png

The developers on Phoenix Point said that Epic paid them at least as much as the Kickstarter made, right? If that's also the case for Shenmue, you're just about 20% off with that quick and dirty (minimum) estimate (converted to USD). The real number can of course be wildly different! I'd love to see some more confirmed numbers. I guess Control was the only one, right?

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
The developers on Phoenix Point said that Epic paid them at least as much as the Kickstarter made, right? If that's also the case for Shenmue, you're just about 20% off with that quick and dirty (minimum) estimate (converted to USD). The real number can of course be wildly different! I'd love to see some more confirmed numbers. I guess Control was the only one, right?
Given what we know about Control, that they got nearly 10M, it would really surprise me if Epic valued Shemue 3 as worth 2/3rds of that

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Valve doesn't make big PR statements for new features and no matter what they try to do to improve discoverability (they are literally the only digital store that actually tries) they get backslash from indie devs. Guess which news are more covered in press out of those two? At this point they literally can't win.

Valve really really does need to better manage its PR certainly

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Picked up Eastshade on sale this week and am really digging it so far. Turns out there's a lot more non-violent questing than I imagined. Guess I thought it'd be more of a walking-sim where I just paint landscapes, but there's collecting/crafting and lots story beats, world lore and such. Absolutely gorgeous sandbox map as well that reminds me of a MYST/Skyrim hybrid. Super-chill experience.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know of a website that lists various games tied up in exclusivity deals and includes the dates that they might be available on other storefronts? Seems like it might be a nice resource to have.

Oct 25, 2017
Putting points into speech and auto winning in conversations isn't very compelling gameplay, if it's gameplay at all. Planescape Torment has more advanced, complex conversations which is a step in the right direction. But to use your example with Chavez, you can indeed headshot him with a single button press. Or melee him. Or shoot him up close. Or throw grenades at him. There's far more options in combat than speech.
Absolutely agreed with the bolded, and that is a problem, yeah. There's no reason to keep making conversations just "select a sentence in a completely static manner" when we made almost everything else into a complex puzzle, a constant reflex check or an activity with plenty of flow - Trauma Center; Papers, Please; Car Mechanic; Octodad; Katamari; Phoenix Wright; etc. It's fucking telling that the most compelling/unique mechanical change some games did to spice "selecting a sentence" is... adding a time limit while to try to find the "right" answer.

While I was very much impressed with how Deus Ex Human Revolution did dialogue, and Black Isle/Interplay/Obsidian also does some good stuff, I think that's a problematic point. In combat, there's always one goal: deplete the enemies' hit gauge before yours is emptied. There's multiple ways - or at least different decisions during the course of the combat - to achieve said goal. But dialogue, realistically, has no clear goal or a right answer, and thus games try to reduce it to a win/loss state that needs to be super obvious or the players get confused/lost/angry at it/etc. Also telling how almost no game has conversation systems between more than two characters because of that.

It's the reason I like how Danganronpa does it. Not only all the minigames and zanyness of the dialogue during the jury segments are super fun and fit the overall narrative and aesthetics to a t, it compels me to think about words and replies in a bunch of different, urgent ways. If I'm screaming over someone, I'm not slowly picking a sentence over a list that goes from "Sure, I'll help you" to "No, and give me your money" - I'm fucking putting a bullet through their words with my own. If I'm trying to rationalize a bunch of discussion between a dozen people, mixing lies and speculation, yeah, it's kinda like playing DDR or Tetris at a highspeed, sure. But it also works because I'm rarely just trying to find the sequence of pre made sentences that say "Hey give me an alliance and better equipment" in a pseudo roleplay way - in Danganronpa I'm trying to discover what has to be said at all and how to say it and to whom say it.

Very much disagree with the italicized though. Sure, a lot of games do simple binary/boolean checks where the player doesn't even see it or has any participation on said check/roll, but that is hardly a flaw of "putting points into speech". Choosing to spend resources that grow your character into a better talker, even if completely passive, is decision making with risk/reward and requires knowledge of the game rules - not to mention it potentially enhances the narrative/worldbuilding aspect of the game, either for for pure RP purposes or for adding some personality/character to your character (like the backgrounds in Shadowrun).

That, of course, is not compelling if the game has a skewed ratio of speech vs combat/stealth/hacking/lockpicking/whatever and/or allows you to be uber powerful and a master of both, but that's not an inherent problem with speech checks.

(Sorry if this sounds a bit aggressive, too much of a ramble or unclear, always have a hard time elaborating ideas in English)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Cube World is only a 28MB download. I know that it is procedural and voxel, but man, I have written spaguetti code (and Visual Basic Applications) that are somehow bigger.

unknown.png

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Heads up, DLC 1 of Battletech, Flashpoint as well as a minor dlc have been added to the Humble monthly!
The 2nd game is Sonic Mania too.

Was Maelstrom always planned as going F2P? Had it on my Wishlist a while.

They recently decided to make it F2P and offer early buyers with lots of goodies. I assume these said same stuff would be offered as paid dlc down the line.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Heads up, DLC 1 of Battletech, Flashpoint as well as a minor dlc have been added to the Humble monthly!
The 2nd game is Sonic Mania too.

They recently decided to make it F2P and offer early buyers with lots of goodies. I assume these said same stuff would be offered as paid dlc down the line.

From what I read about low player count this seems for the best. Hopefully it plays well with a controller.

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from an anonymous user!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Anonymous said:
An amazing game in a sadly very bad genre as it is not the superior turn based style. Thankfully, the sequel added a turn based mode in a later patch.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Kickstarter Real Time With Pause game part 1 - Won by vastag vastag

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Very much disagree with the italicized though. Sure, a lot of games do simple binary/boolean checks where the player doesn't even see it or has any participation on said check/roll, but that is hardly a flaw of "putting points into speech". Choosing to spend resources that grow your character into a better talker, even if completely passive, is decision making with risk/reward and requires knowledge of the game rules - not to mention it potentially enhances the narrative/worldbuilding aspect of the game, either for for pure RP purposes or for adding some personality/character to your character (like the backgrounds in Shadowrun).

That, of course, is not compelling if the game has a skewed ratio of speech vs combat/stealth/hacking/lockpicking/whatever and/or allows you to be uber powerful and a master of both, but that's not an inherent problem with speech checks.

(Sorry if this sounds a bit aggressive, too much of a ramble or unclear, always have a hard time elaborating ideas in English)

Putting points into any binary or past-the-post style stat structure isn't really compelling gameplay mostly because it isn't actually a risk/reward choice with foreseeable odds. The risk is the player could be more effective in some other area (either making combat quicker (higher damage), skill less necessary (higher defense), or optimally, increasing player verbs (larger moveset with their own situational pros and cons)), vs. the reward of possibly bypassing variable challenges (combat, puzzles, navigation, or even more dialogue understanding).

But those bypasses are entirely designer driven; basically, the player is guessing whether the designer will equally weight (or positively weight the singular thing they chose). This is not a bet on their own ability, but of the ability of the designer.

Think of an optimal case: if there are science, charisma, and wisdom stats that a player can invest in, they are hoping that a proper designer will equally weight each of these stats to have positive outcomes through the game. Otherwise...what would be a more optimal case? That one has a massive advantage and the player is just to guess what that will be? What foreknowledge could they possibly use to intelligently 'achieve' in this system?

Similarly, in a poorly stat driven combat system, putting stats into damage just makes the combat take less time (and theoretically easier), but one could argue that it would play into a player's style of combat (more aggressive vs. more defensive) so they are risk vs. reward against their own intentions, not the designer's.

Anyway, I could talk about this for days, but while flat speech checks can be fun from a role-playing or 'surprise' perspective, they aren't engaging mechanically.

The problem isn't that speech is less engaging than combat, it's that combat has variable, causal, expressive player-input success states that haven't been replicated in any speech system (mostly due to the vagueries of language and how humans view success states in dialogue). Something like "Sentient" for the Playstation 1 starts to trend more towards proper gameplay in dialogue than even Planescape with its 15 different possible selections.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The Battletech DLC is pretty good, but the best bits are the Flashpoints that you can get into after the main story.

Oct 25, 2017
Putting points into any binary or past-the-post style stat structure isn't really compelling gameplay mostly because it isn't actually a risk/reward choice with foreseeable odds. The risk is the player could be more effective in some other area (either making combat quicker (higher damage), skill less necessary (higher defense), or optimally, increasing player verbs (larger moveset with their own situational pros and cons)), vs. the reward of possibly bypassing variable challenges (combat, puzzles, navigation, or even more dialogue understanding).

But those bypasses are entirely designer driven; basically, the player is guessing whether the designer will equally weight (or positively weight the singular thing they chose). This is not a bet on their own ability, but of the ability of the designer.

Think of an optimal case: if there are science, charisma, and wisdom stats that a player can invest in, they are hoping that a proper designer will equally weight each of these stats to have positive outcomes through the game. Otherwise...what would be a more optimal case? That one has a massive advantage and the player is just to guess what that will be? What foreknowledge could they possibly use to intelligently 'achieve' in this system?
Yeah, buuuuuut that's the case for any choice you make in regards building skills or a character sheet. Some games offer me a choice between gun, swords and magic instead of combat and speech, and I have no way of knowing how effective those are until learning more about the game rules and how it was designed. For instance, investing in "thrown weapons" in Fallout 2 is mistake, the game wasn't designed for balanced thrown weapon combat as much any other choice at all. Meanwhile, "small guns" are an OP choice from the start to the beginning, even if it sounds like "energy weapons" or "explosives" are stronger.

It's not a problem with speech stats or passive/flat checks, but with overall game design and offering choices in this style.

Anyway, I could talk about this for days, but while flat speech checks can be fun from a role-playing or 'surprise' perspective, they aren't engaging mechanically.
Dunno about that though. Like, if a game offers me a [speech] option in some dialogues even without me having how to know about it beforehand with enough frequency and it gives me another option, it's engaging enough for me. It's not dissimilar to speccing a character build around critical hits or random effects (like, wild magic type of stuff, not random in the % of inflicting a status effect sense). But yeah, it's not something engaging for most people, I guess.

The problem isn't that speech is less engaging than combat, it's that combat has variable, causal, expressive player-input success states that haven't been replicated in any speech system (mostly due to the vagueries of language and how humans view success states in dialogue). Something like "Sentient" for the Playstation 1 starts to trend more towards proper gameplay in dialogue than even Planescape with its 15 different possible selections.
Absolutely! That's what I was trying to say but in a much more convoluted way, thanks for being clearer haha

closer

Oct 25, 2017

Similarly, in a poorly stat driven combat system, putting stats into damage just makes the combat take less time (and theoretically easier), but one could argue that it would play into a player's style of combat (more aggressive vs. more defensive) so they are risk vs. reward against their own intentions, not the designer's.

I haven't thought about this specifically, tho it's always in the back of my mind when I'm playing these games. I wonder if there is some sort of named meta feeling where rather than immersing yourself in the presented world using the stats provided, you are rather immersing yourself in the developer's interpretation of the presented world and their own reasoning of what checks are necessary...which is to an extent how any player experiences any created world.

I know on a gameplay level I gel much better with competitive "skillful" gameplay, but when it comes to the mechanics of checks I find myself constantly trying to make sure that I have access to the options I want access to, which often results in me just bolstering those stats one way or another (like consoling it in, or looking up special ways to improve the stats via quests or whatever). I guess I think I value that experience too, and that while it takes me out of the world the game is trying to present to me, it sinks me deeper into the nuts and bolts of the game to an extent...and my love for, say, fighting games is deeply embedded in that feeling too, like trying to kind of take apart the game and optimize.

or maybe put more simply, I think I get more immersed or feel more "role-playey" when options are out of my control. this can include speech checks, but it might have more to do with when the game I'm playing wrests control away from me and stuff in the world happens despite me rather than because of me. I definitely feel more immersed in BoTW than planescape (besides when I'm reading long long text and just getting immersed like I would in a book), though I love the feeling of gaining an INT point because I did something smart and stuff like that

Last edited:

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
If you often use the discovery queue, make sure to activate the "adult" filter. You cannot be too cautious.

The following game just popped in Mr. Robot's discord feed. After a quick check, let us say that the title of the game perfectly describes its content.

5ScbY1c.png

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Why would you change the units? If you're that picky, it will come as 85417MB, but it's not that far off, it's just extra decimal numbers that weren't taken into account.
The units are bytes. Always have been. The terminology of kilo, mega, giga, tera, don't change the number of bytes being talked about. And that number of bytes cubed comes out to an order of magnitude larger number than you've just mentioned.

It's like saying, "three thousand cubed is twenty seven thousand". No, it isn't. It's 27,000,000,000.

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Gevin Gevin!

This is a quick raffle that will expire in 6 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Regions of Ruin - Won by Cels Cels

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The units are bytes. Always have been. The terminology of kilo, mega, giga, tera, don't change the number of bytes being talked about. And that number of bytes cubed comes out to an order of magnitude larger number than you've just mentioned.

It's like saying, "three thousand cubed is twenty seven thousand". No, it isn't. It's 27,000,000,000.
Man, if you wanna change units before aplying cubes and squares, at least know how to change them back.
If I have a room that's 3x3x3 meters, that makes it a 27 m^3 room.
3 meters are 300 centimeters.
300x300x300 cm = 27000000 cm^3
My room ain't 270000 m^3.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
If you often use the discovery queue, make sure to activate the "adult" filter. You cannot be too cautious.

The following game just popped in Mr. Robot's discord feed. After a quick check, let us say that the title of the game perfectly describes its content.

5ScbY1c.png
but being recommended weird adult games is one of the fun parts of Steam
or maybe i'm just shameless

Status
Not open for further replies.