• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
So everything we were saying it will happen with Epic Store exclusives is happening including removal from all others stores and price significant increase. But as it was expected nobody is or will report about that.

Oh well somebody had to end up that Steam monopoly.
Yeah, but why would anyone listen to us? We actually play games on PC. Those that kept saying Epic was good for PC gaming only play on console. Obviously they know more about the PC market than we do.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Yeah, but why would anyone listen to us? We actually play games on PC. Those that kept saying Epic was good for PC gaming only play on console. Obviously they know more about the PC market than we do.

And the media who are supposed to be reporting on it get their game codes for free, so prices aren't a concern for them....

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So everything we were saying it will happen with Epic Store exclusives is happening including removal from all others stores and price significant increase. But as it was expected nobody is or will report about that.
huh??

EGS exclusives being removed from other stores isn't some Nostradamus revelation... that's what the entire word exclusive means

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I was pretty naive about this until I jumped in to PC gaming a few weeks ago, thinking it was a storm in a teacup.

But now I realise - especially as a Big Picture user - that Steam isn't just a digital store or a launcher, it's an entire platform. Xbox gamers would be pissed off if a new game came out that they couldn't launch using a controller, doesn't have any Achievements, doesn't use your Xbox Live account, doesn't store its saves in the cloud, doesn't have the Guide accessible during gameplay, doesn't let you play with your friends list, etc. But that's what we have here.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
It's "Put the boot into gaming media" time again, though just a mild criticism this time around, as it's the English grammar pedant and media critic in me:

A full collection of Artifact cards now reportedly costs around $40

The "reportedly" is absolutely unnecessary, because they've confirmed it::

But markets rise and fall, and now you can get a complete set of Artifact cards for around $40.

In fact, the cost of a full collection of Artifact cards has recently dipped below $40 for the first time, according to a site called How Much Does Artifact Cost that tracks current card prices and adds them up.

So, unless they're doubting the accuracy of the Artifact tracking site, the "reportedly" has no reason being in the headline - it's a fact, and should be stated as such. And if they are doubting the accuracy of the site, they should say so.

And, yes, it's a teeny-tiny criticism, but it's just basic bloody English language and framing of a headline. Lord!

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I was pretty naive about this until I jumped in to PC gaming a few weeks ago, thinking it was a storm in a teacup.

But now I realise - especially as a Big Picture user - that Steam isn't just a digital store or a launcher, it's an entire platform. Xbox gamers would be pissed off if a new game came out that they couldn't launch using a controller, doesn't have any Achievements, doesn't use your Xbox Live account, doesn't store its saves in the cloud, doesn't have the Guide accessible during gameplay, doesn't let you play with your friends list, etc. But that's what we have here.

That is why I think a lot of people "rooting" for Epic do not even use Steam or maybe just to start games.

My wife is using my shared library.
I am using the Steam market, VR plattform, BPM and Workshop as well as achievements and cloud saves (since I travel to China and back twice a year).

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Three year anniversary for Stellaris, and there's a free weekend for it, along with lots of discounts for DLC.

It's nice.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Just received my backer survey for The Outer Wilds.

Looks like they're not offering the Steam key I paid for but rather EGS keys.

Edit: When stating that you don't want an EGS key it then asks you if you'd prefer to wait for a key for "unannounced platforms." Because the game hasn't had a Steam page for (a) year(s).

Sounds like the Phoenix Point mess all over again. Are they giving you the option to refund?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Just received my backer survey for The Outer Wilds.

Looks like they're not offering the Steam key I paid for but rather EGS keys.

Edit: When stating that you don't want an EGS key it then asks you if you'd prefer to wait for a key for "unannounced platforms." Because the game hasn't had a Steam page for (a) year(s).

I really wish someone would initiate a class action lawsuit for these kind of situations. How about the platform you said you would provide, day one?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Oh well somebody had to end up that Steam monopoly.

Remember when I was a crazy complotist when I said that the cut would mean higher priced games, that it would lead to tighter or even no more 3rd party stores ?
These people can fuck off anyway.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That is why I think a lot of people "rooting" for Epic do not even use Steam or maybe just to start games.

My wife is using my shared library.
I am using the Steam market, VR plattform, BPM and Workshop as well as achievements and cloud saves (since I travel to China and back twice a year).

I mean, fuckin hypocrites clapped when Sony made that "how to share a game" video, claiming they won the console war.
Now sharing a game is a "useless feature".

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
from their Fig.co backer page

0NzBI77.png

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/outer-wilds

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That was different.

That actually affected them.

Exactly. In fact I'll echo the sentiment from Durante or Dusk Golem : A looot of console warring going on. A lot of these people when you look at their post history often wander in the switch threads, ps4 threads, xbox threads. You never see them in PC related thread except when it's EGS.

Because the thinking is that if something makes Steam worse, it disrupt the platform, hence making it weaker. A weaker platform is one less likely to be supported.
These console only games now on PC ruffles a lot of feathers. And let's not be fuckin hypocrite. It's on these boards we had people physically ill that Final Fantasy X was coming to PC.

It's thinly veiled console warring disguised under the concern trolling of people who never use the platform in a regular way as legitimate customers (I'm not going to out people who use it as a side platform for piracy here :) ). Concern trolls who knows better than us what's good for us.

Yet it's the same people whining about Capcom not making a physical switch version or championing PlayStation for that share a game video.

Hypocrisy and console warring through the roof.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish someone would initiate a class action lawsuit for these kind of situations. How about the platform you said you would provide, day one?

It would be laughed out of court (or more likely lawyer's offices because it would never get there). You can't even really sue crowdfunding campaigns for flat out never delivering on the product at all.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France

What if a Steam key is provided one year after release?
I don't believe one could sue any of the game devs on Kickstarter for delivering the game much later than promised.

Or people would sue Volantia devs for never giving a Steam key to Humble subscribers:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/799670/discussions/0/1694920442944848232/

Oct 30, 2017
It's "Put the boot into gaming media" time again, though just a mild criticism this time around, as it's the English grammar pedant and media critic in me:

Headline looks perfect to me. The journalist didn't investigate the pricing themselves, but instead used unverified data from another party. The headline accurately reflects the fact that these are the numbers only as reported by 'How Much Does Artifact Cost'.

Having the headline 'A full collection of Artifact cards now costs..." would be bad practice, because it reports something as fact that the journalist has not verified.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
What if a Steam key is provided one year after release?
I don't believe one could sue any of the game devs on Kickstarter for delivering the game much later than promised.

Or people would sue Volantia devs for never giving a Steam key to Humble subscribers:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/799670/discussions/0/1694920442944848232/

There is a conflict of interest between Epics conditions and the original intent of the Fig kickstarter - yet the backers who carried the initial risk and weight are being pushed aside because Epic are stepping in at the last minute. I understand there would be a lot of unintentional consequences to litigating kickstarters, but this kind of action goes on by without any real consequence and its somewhat frustrating to see Epic cherry pick games so close to release. All of these restrictions are completely arbitrary - they can have their cake and eat it too.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Headline looks perfect to me. The journalist didn't investigate the pricing themselves, but instead used unverified data from another party. The headline accurately reflects the fact that these are the numbers only as reported by 'How Much Does Artifact Cost'.

Having the headline 'A full collection of Artifact cards now costs..." would be bad practice, because it reports something as fact that the journalist has not verified.

But

according to a site called How Much Does Artifact Cost that tracks current card prices and adds them up.

Which implies that the author has checked the site to verify this information. That said, though there's no press release from the site that is linked to or quoted, on second read I think you're right, and PC Gamer were sent something from the tracking site and they regurgitated it, which would make the "reportedly" accurate.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the last few freebies pushed me past the 500 games line on steam .
Dont cry for me, for i am already too far gone.

Oct 30, 2017
But

Which implies that the author has checked the site to verify this information. That said, though there's no press release from the site that is linked to or quoted, on second read I think you're right, and PC Gamer were sent something from the tracking site and they regurgitated it, which would make the "reportedly" accurate.

That site is just something that a random person made. It is not an official or original source of information that you can use for verification. In order for a journalist to communicate things as facts, they have to know they are such, and, in this case, unless they spend the time doing the sums themselves, they can't be certain that the information on that site is correct and reliable.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
That site is just something that a random person made. It is not an official or original source of information that you can use for verification. In order for a journalist to communicate things as facts, they have to know they are such, and, in this case, unless they spend the time doing the sums themselves, they can't be certain that the information on that site is correct and reliable.

Which is all fair enough. But in that case, where's the value of reporting it? "Here's this thing which may or may not be true. We don't know because we haven't spent 3 hours checking the sums on the Steam Market, so, hey, it might not be accurate" isn't exactly a great article. :/ Media is supposed to inform and enlighten, and this article does neither. Or, at least, doesn't do either without the reader expending time and effort to verify. Which is also supposed to be the media's job.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the Phoenix Point mess all over again. Are they giving you the option to refund?

They give you the option of saying, "No thanks," to receiving a key for an "unannounced platform" at a later date and then... nothing. So I'm assuming they'll quietly send emails out? I don't know. I'm getting a fucking refund one way or the other and I'll buy the game during next year's Summer Sale if I'm still excited for it.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
They give you the option of saying, "No thanks," to receiving a key for an "unannounced platform" at a later date and then... nothing. So I'm assuming they'll quietly send emails out? I don't know. I'm getting a fucking refund one way or the other and I'll buy the game during next year's Summer Sale if I'm still excited for it.

I'd do the same. What a mess :(

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
Got a Key for A Hat in Time Nyakuza Metro & Online Party. Kickstarted it but was kind off meh on the game.

So somebody can enjoy it instead. Stem key below.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Hi PCERA

Back and I'd like to share what PC gaming thing I've been doing.

FREE/EXPERMENTAL GAMES!!!!!!! I've been into sampling these since early 2011 and every now and then I find a new article/writer to follow regarding this.

Priceless Pay by Kat Brewster @ RPS.

Read the entire series, as each entry is focused on a theme rather than simply what is new. Therefore the quality of the entries are pretty consistently good.

A Bewitching Revolution is my favorite out of all of what I've played.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
bit of a fool's errand to even ask this here but fuck it, let's try. What is the one game that would / will make you use EGS, if you dont already of course. I dont really have a horse in this race, I havent used it yet, I would rather not if only for convinience sake, but I'm not exactly opposed to it (or any launcher) if I REALLY have to (the whole "guess ill never play that game" thing...yeah no, fuck that if its something I love).

And unfortunately I have a strong feeling I'll have to later this year with... Torchlight Frontiers. I'm 99% sure they will snatch it up, and thats one of those games I really REALLY want to play (or at the very least try).

An obvious anwser would also be "any Souls game" but I dont think those would happen. And I would probably elect to play them on console if so, since my PC is getting up there in age anyway, Sekiro was already struggling (in fact, I'll probably do just that with Blands 3, I havent decided yet)
I know I'm VERY late to the party (i got myself into too much mess lately and don't really have time to follow forums anymore), but I repeat again - they had their chance with UT4, and they decided it was not worth it, so fuck them. New UT is the reason why I have epic account in the first place, so all this EGS crap and exclusivity news really annoys me every time because they always remind me about what epic did to UT, they literally killed it on the day EGS was announced. I understand that after Fortnite success they don't really have resources anymore and can't even develop a proper launcher because they are too busy crunching next update, but ffs they can always spend few millions from their war chest and hire other studios to make a proper UT game, instead of wasting them on this pointless war against the Steam. So yeah, I probably won't ever touch their launcher again, fuck this company and their endless greed, it's hard to imagine that just a year ago I was rooting for them and hoped they'll succeed.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
These devs that try to screw over backers with EGS keys when they know everyone wants a Steam / GoG key are a special kind of asshole.

The whole reason the game is happening is because people cared enough to give you cash upfront. It's a serious dick move to turn around and abuse that goodwill.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
These devs that try to screw over backers with EGS keys when they know everyone wants a Steam / GoG key are a special kind of asshole.

The whole reason the game is happening is because people cared enough to give you cash upfront. It's a serious dick move to turn around and abuse that goodwill.

I wouldn't be surprised if future crowdfunded games are forced to specify if they will remain committed to Steam or if they will go wherever the money is.

Status
Not open for further replies.