• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I still have 191 UbiCoins left to redeem before they expire, and I already exchanged a discount code and bought everything that can be bought for The Division 2 aaaaaa

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
What would be Valve's perfect GDC according to ERA? My take:

1) Store exclusive RDR 2
2) Store exclusive Bloodborne and Uncharted quadrilogy + Golden Abyss remaster
3) The announcement that HL3 is almost ready and (obviously) PC (Steam) exclusive
4) Merger with GOG
5) From Software is now Valve's 1st Party developer
6) News about new features, VR etc.

7) Valve have bought Epic games store and stopped all the nonsense.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I read the Sweeney interview, and yeah, just a bunch of PR speak. There is one part where he talks about revenue split on games, and said that in some instances a store would end up making more money off of a game than a developer; which is 100% bullshit. He makes it sound like Valve has just been robbing developers of an income, and Epic is the savior of the PC gaming market.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
I read the Sweeney interview, and yeah, just a bunch of PR speak. There is one part where he talks about revenue split on games, and said that in some instances a store would end up making more money off of a game than a developer; which is 100% bullshit. He makes it sound like Valve has just been robbing developers of an income, and Epic is the savior of the PC gaming market.

Yeah i read it, I think he is either wilfully lying or deluded.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Oh Sweeney going for the "we're not doing this for the money but because we're ethically motivated and we want to fix a problem" route.

If there's ONE thing I hate about tech companies it's when they try to push this idiotic narrative to market their stuff.

Last edited:

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Even after Dark Souls II, and III, it still feels kinda surreal to see how well FromSoft games run on PC. Like when they developed their games, they had PC too in mind and not just afterthought port like many games from 'experienced' publishers.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

[laughs]

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
No one really knows much about Valve's financials. They are private and rarely release numbers.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Well if you're curious, here is that full Rami Ismail interview that was teased the other day. He doesn't really say much outside of "fuck Valve, but also they do some good things. Epic does some bad things, but also good things. Also, we shouldn't segregate games by stores." He also believes people's main issues with Epic lies with multiple launchers.

I guess the last part I don't get is why do developers think the 30% cut is so unfair? They do realize hosting all these games and features are not free, right? Plus that 30% goes towards maintenance and upgrading data centers and stuff like that.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Epic wishing they moneyhatted these

SnapCrab_NoName_2019-3-21_17-57-22_No-00.png

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
I don't expect big business announcements but I'm looking forward to more info on the networking APIs they're introducing and any other new tech.

Fanta

May 27, 2018

Thanks to all the devs who came to our roundtable sessions on Tuesday/Wednesday, lending us some of their valuable GDC time! I hope our chats were as useful for you as they were for us 👍
Didn't know Valve had a roundtable talk earlier this week.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The conference will have:
-New UI and how it affects marketability of games (more focus on events and streaming)
-New currencies roadmap and talk about how important is the Chinese market.
-New API for crossplatform support and Servers
-Some talk about VR and Steam with the knuckles announcement.

It might have:
+reduction of store cut to 25%.
+some talk about r18 games and restrictions on it

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised you can still pre-order Anno 1800 on Steam, figured this would be one of the first Ubi games to go EGS/Uplay exclusive.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I'm kinda excited for MH HD textures, gonna delete my character and start from scratches again

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
The Ubi deal with EGS is pretty ingenious because it drives more people to uplay where Ubi gets 100% revenue (not to mention the fat stacks of cash EGS have inevitably given them).

Status
Not open for further replies.