• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If PC Gaming Era was a football tema it would be...

• England

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Belgium

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • France

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • Toronto Raptors

Votes: 102 59.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Uh oh that's 2 GMG flash sales in a row I've bought. This is an ominous trend.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why people are so obsessed with Twitch Prime games. Lack of Steam/Gog Galaxy features are kind of a deal breaker. Good luck with getting achievements, cards or game patches through Twitch client.
Also, the whole thing reminds me of Amazon Underground, which, surprise surprise, is no longer being maintained.

Really? You don't understand why people want a bunch of games that come free with something mostly everyone has anyway? There are some bangers in there dude.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly everyone has Amazon Prime? News to me.

Probably in murica. because rest of world don't exist. Apart from UK/France/Germany, probably zero countries get anything out of Prime and still has to pay full price.
Though I guess you could use free trial to get all the free games once, that'd be good value I guess.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
So, it turns out that Valve killed SteamSpy not due to GDPR or some other noble reason, but probably just out of spite:

The guy above invented an algorithm which allowed to estimate the number of players of a given game on Steam based on the numbers of people having certain achievements (which is a completely open information not related to GDPR or privacy in general in any way). This algorithm worked for a few months, but Valve has just killed it (by rounding some numbers), clearly intentionally. Which means that probably the original algorithm which SteamSpy used was rendered useless by Valve not because of GDPR or other privacy reasons (like many people on this forum said), but because they decided that SteamSpy is bad for their busieness or caved in from the pressure from the large publishers.

Rami Ismail chiming in:

Some other responses by devs of smaller games:
https://twitter.com/antumbral/status/1014428682524418049

This is probably worthy of its own thread.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
How is Moonlighter? That Fanatical deal seems pretty good. I played and loved Recettear but I'm not sure if they are actually similar.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand how Valve doesn't want a tool that might tell people how poorly some games are doing to exist, but I wish they wouldn't outright lie about it, like talking how they wanna make Steamspy better.
A simple "no comment" is nothing to be ashamed about.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
I can understand how Valve doesn't want a tool that might tell people how poorly some games are doing to exist, but I wish they wouldn't outright lie about it, like talking how they wanna make Steamspy better.
A simple "no comment" is nothing to be ashamed about.
Yeah, precisely. The lying part is what irks me. Now it's reasonably clear that they didn't really care of any privacy reasons like many believed, they just decided to kill SteamSpy.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Is Life is Strange 2 likely to get any cheaper before luanch, can't see me preordering a game that I don't even know what its about yet

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I hope we have some kind of super power in LiS 2. I know a lot of people like the more grounded setting of Before the Storm, but I prefer non natural things.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Amazon Prime is the Humble Monthly of physical goods: you pay a subscription which provides you with incentives to stay in their ecosystem for every other purchase. It is too expensive imo. How much money do you have to spend on their store to make a 50€/year subscription worth it?

mi982ZE.png

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Did you do the "main path" only or? It's fascinating how well the levels are designed to accommodate the various choices you can make regarding your allies.
Yeah, I just played through it once getting every character. It's easy to see though how they provisioned the different paths for different characters.

Also, what's the difference in abusing the free trial to get the free games vs using pirate sites to get free games?
People will probably argue that one is legal and one is not, but really, that's pretty weak reasoning.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon Prime is the Humble Monthly of physical goods: you pay a subscription which provides you with incentives to stay in their ecosystem for every other purchase. It is too expensive imo. How much money do you have to spend on their store to make a 50€/year subscription worth it?

mi982ZE.png

There's Prime Jeunes. 25€ per month.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Surely GMG will have a 25% off voucher between now and September. Don't see a point in preordering a game we now nothing about.

No, I really don't. Prime is a non-entity outside of US of A.

I live in Germany and Prime is totally worth it here. I get back what I pay for it just in free shipping, Prime deals and game preorder discounts alone. And on top it has a good streaming service that is cheaper than Netflix alone. And now the free games program that rivals PS+ and Humble Monthly too.

Also, what's the difference in abusing the free trial to get the free games vs using pirate sites to get free games?

One is illegal and the other not? And how is using a free trail abusing it.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Top Sellers 2018 (so far)

https://store.steampowered.com/2018_so_far

of course without numbers.

Yeah, precisely. The lying part is what irks me. Now it's reasonably clear that they didn't really care of any privacy reasons like many believed, they just decided to kill SteamSpy.

well if they wanted to just kill steamspy they could've done it years before too.

Estimating owners from player numbers is even more guess work.

I live in Germany and Prime is totally worth it here. I get back what I pay for it just in free shipping, Prime deals and game preorder discounts alone. And on top it has a good streaming service that is cheaper than Netflix alone.

Isn't shipping free for everyone on German amazon though?

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

mi982ZE.png
You get free 1-day shipping, access to Prime Video, Music and Reading, and free games for a little over 4 euros per month. That's not too shabby IMHO.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Debating if I should get Prime for the Twitch stuff. Have a student discount which cuts the cost by half. Don't know if I need need another place where I have games but never play them though.

Isn't shipping free for everyone on German amazon though?

Books and orders above 30€ get free shipping.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
So, it turns out that Valve killed SteamSpy not due to GDPR or some other noble reason, but probably just out of spite:

The guy above invented an algorithm which allowed to estimate the number of players of a given game on Steam based on the numbers of people having certain achievements (which is a completely open information not related to GDPR or privacy in general in any way). This algorithm worked for a few months, but Valve has just killed it (by rounding some numbers), clearly intentionally. Which means that probably the original algorithm which SteamSpy used was rendered useless by Valve not because of GDPR or other privacy reasons (like many people on this forum said), but because they decided that SteamSpy is bad for their busieness or caved in from the pressure from the large publishers.

Rami Ismail chiming in:

Some other responses by devs of smaller games:
https://twitter.com/antumbral/status/1014428682524418049

This is probably worthy of its own thread.

As much as I like Steamspy, the reason why its done is not out of goodwill. Sergey is earning 11k $ just by that and even more before Valve "locked" it down.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Debating if I should get Prime for the Twitch stuff. Have a student discount which cuts the cost by half. Don't know if I need need another place where I have games but never play them though.
HTZAuFu.png

eQxzHn3.png

That's my library of games they have given away over the last couple of months. I probably wouldn't solely subscribe to Prime for these games, but I've had Prime before and it's a nice added bonus.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I like Steamspy, the reason why its done is not out of goodwill. Sergey is earning 11k $ just by that and even more before Valve "locked" it down.

As other said it is more about lying and hiding than doing it. Just come out and say "we don't want SteamSpy for that and that reason".

And they will never fix Queue...

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
So someone made a web site that a lot of people like and earned a lot of money? The horror!

Its more that he made money with stuff that devs/pubs might now want to be public.

Also Valve might have killed it because they are doing their own, big pubs might told Valve to "shut it down" or leave Steam or whatever.

In the end no one knows. I like/liked Steamspy but it was only a matter of time till it shut down. Already happened when big pubs contacted Steamspy to not publish their sale numbers.

Oct 25, 2017

mi982ZE.png

You know, looking at that price I don't get why it still cost 19.95 in Spain (not that i'm complaining).

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
The problem is, we know that their own wont be public.

Yeah, but whats so bad about it? If publishers wont their sales data to be "leaked", there is not much you can do. Steamspy always used "exploits" and "crawlers" to determine that. While its nice to see as a customer what sold well where, I can see why publishers or some devs dont want others to see that data.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
The videogame industry is seemingly the only entertainment industry that actively tries to hide sales data.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Is it me or this is the worst state Steam Store has been during the major sale in a while?

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
Movie tickets just say how much overall they make not how many tickets they've actually sold last time I saw something about that I think

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Thats an interesting list.

Yeah, it's awesome to see 'in the shadows' titles like House Flipper and Bus Simulator 18 ranked.

Titles that most enthusiast sites couldn't be bothered to even mention, let alone talk about.

Also really happy to see how prevalent Paradox is on the various lists, both as a dev and a publisher (CK2, Stellaris, Surviving Mars, BattleTech, etc.). They really are the Nintendo Magic (tm.) publisher of my gaming world.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Well it was 20 000 games for ~3 million players, your chance is going to be very slim.
Especially if you'd owned most.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I think I jumped in at the end of the last boss fight? I got to shoot him a lot. Weird that I happened to jump in at that moment. I should get free games.

Status
Not open for further replies.