• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
Yes, it's just up earlier today but still not available for pre-order it. Unless people suddenly whistlisting the game in droves, there's basically no way for the game to gain traction until the release date without pre-orders. Bamco is doing their best to release the game silently on Steam.
From my understanding, the PC version was going to release along side the PS4 version in Japan but I guess something changed since the Japanese site had the same date for both of them at some point I think.

But ya that's weird. I have no idea if they are even pushing for the game (even on PS4), all that much, after the release of the PS4 version in Japan and until recently with the PS4 demo in the west they have not talked much about the game?

Well it least it doesn't have Denuvo so people will complain about one less thing, also releasing one week after AC7 as well? RIP GE3

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
UXaFWAL.png

The demo is also PS4 only.

all those videos but one say PS4 / PC tho?

I still maintain the game is getting fuck all marketing on any system, I havent heard about it on any site, no previews no nothing. Random youtube videos, well, I cant find those for any game really.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Dragon Quest 11 seems great but I hate JRPGs with voiced dialogue and no auto options. Pushing x/a every line is so clunky.

Hopefully God Eater 3 feels less mashy than the first game Resurrection I played. Was a psp game I know but it felt kind of janky all around

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I have to slide right between those first two sentences. It's not just a sentiment of gamedevs (even if that is what spawned the conversation), but also one you can see among users of this forum, i remember there being a certain discontent to the idea of giving a bad review when a game launches in an unplayable state because it might get fixed in a few days and somesuch.
That's dumb. If and once the game is fixed, then people can change their review. And if some people forgot, because they gave up on the game, then maybe don't launch a broken a game?
As for Era co-opting views of a minority of gamedevs, well, that's on them. I guess for some people having their own view is just too much to ask for, so if a company tells them what to think, they just gladly take it up?

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Reviews are great and I think a few troll reviews most of the time wont change the perception.

Just look at that chinese Dark Souls meets DMC game Bloody Spell that launched 3 days ago. 500 reviews already, all mostly positive and negative ones are informative even though in its EA state its only around 1h -1:30h long.

Bright Memory which is 40 minutes long has almost 4000 positive reviews, been out for 1 week. Besides one comment "this man should teach EA and Ubisoft how to make games " everything is informative and feels fine.

I actually have the suspicion that people who are against "abusive" reviews or "wrong" reviews really overestimate how popular or good their game is compared to other games on Steam. If someone says "man, your art sucks" or "your artstyle is not good" or "the writing sucks" I think those people already see it as toxic.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Reviews are great and I think a few troll reviews most of the time wont change the perception.

Just look at that chinese Dark Souls meets DMC game Bloody Spell that launched 3 days ago. 500 reviews already, all mostly positive and negative ones are informative even though in its EA state its only around 1h -1:30h long.

Bright Memory which is 40 minutes long has almost 4000 positive reviews, been out for 1 week. Besides one comment "this man should teach EA and Ubisoft how to make games " everything is informative and feels fine.

I actually have the suspicion that people who are against "abusive" reviews or "wrong" reviews really overestimate how popular or good their game is compared to other games on Steam. If someone says "man, your art sucks" or "your artstyle is not good" or "the writing sucks" I think those people already see it as toxic.

In general from what I experienced number of games that got hit by inappropriate review bombing is really small. In big picture you could say that they can be considered as in margin of error.

Another main complaint is that lower your game reviews, wors spot it gets in search results. That can impact sales but if somebody is interested in game they will probably look at more than title and review score. I personally need way more than that.

In the end Valve gave developers space on the store, but it is still on the devekoper/publisher to make that game interesting to the customers. I would love to see some of these developers pitch their games to publishers, because clearly some of them never had to do it.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Yeah, it may be harsh but it is what it is, simply saying "I don't like it" and "the product sucks" or similar is fine imho, I don't feel like writing an essay for something I didn't even enjoy when I don't even do that for games I like, would be different if that was my job, but it isn't.

This was an example of shitty review (it was spoiling the game)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/413410/discussions/0/412447613562429073/

and after SC reported the review it was removed.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Baaaah... I've gotten an interest in Ace Combat 7, but it comes out on PC in another two weeks.

Reviews and Let's Plays are making me seriously consider a day 1 purchase. If the PC port is fine I probably won't be able to resist, my last AC was on PS1 despite me liking those kind of arcadey-flight games. *sheds a tear for Strike Commander*

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong, though.

If a review has to exist because it's "informative, helpful, accurate" then they should hire customers to review them and promote them.

If a product sucks, it's my right to say so.
A review is a piece of opinion. I agree that some customers are insufferable, but as long as they dont insult you, it's fine if they just insult the product.

Now devs should trust customers more. When someone reads "this game sucks", they want to know why.
There's a reason why there's a review vote system.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Well here's an interesting one, The Sinking City (the other upcoming Cthulhu game after the one that just came out at the end of last year), has changed it's date on the store page from March 21st to just 2019.

I'd anticipate a delay for this, as they seem to be slightly cagey on social media about confirming or denying a delay either way actually - which is just odd.
Besides the day before Sekiro is a piss poor slot for it anyway.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
There's a reason why there's a review vote system.

This is one of the main factors why I can't take those thinking reviews should be removed seriously. Of course with tens of thousands of games and millions of users some shitty reviews rise to the top and it's easy to criticize the whole system by only presenting the 0.001% in a screenshot but just like with Steam forums, huge majority of the reviews (or posts in forums) are more or less useful.

Maybe I would give even less visibility to reviews tagged with funny but even that's not really an issue because you can use the review filtering tools. Valve has done some pretty good work with those filters compared to almost any other online store in the world.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017

When you're are personally invested in the game then I imagine the stakes are higher, it is not too weird to want to remove as much of the variables involved that can affect how your game sells. Anyway that tweet just seemed like it was making an observation that I think many people agree with to some extent, don't really see it as trying to single out Valve.

Valve kinda doesn't know what they want their own review system to be. Their response to reviews trying to be meta or funny was to add a new label ("Funny") instead of moderating them to make reviews useful again. It turned a Valve problem into a user problem, which is something Valve is want to do when faced with a problem. (See also: Game sorting in Tags, curation in Greenlight and then Curators, game surfacing in the daily queue, and forum moderation in how developers moderate themselves.) For years, this has worked to undermine what a user review is supposed to be, leading to the system we see before us: one where almost anything goes.

Like, I dunno about y'all, but I look at the review percentage, check recent and top reviews for any red flags on a game (which I could also use the forums for), and that's it. Steam's user reviews aren't helpful on their own, they're only helpful as a wider metric for the state of a game. (which Valve further enforced with their review timeline thing) It's yet another system Valve doesn't want to deal with so it just puts a bandaid on the thing and sets it aside.

And in terms of review bombing, the answer is moderation. As in, review standards that are enforced by Valve themselves. But I doubt Valve is willing going to do that so they might as well give up now. Because you can't put it in developers hands because that will be abused, and expecting anything more from users (like reporting useless reviews when there's already too many of them) is too much to ask.

Valve's continued problem is that they want to turn Steam into a perpetual machine that operates on its own when that's impossible. Their answer of offloading work from themselves has to stop. They have to take control of the platform they've created and own it all.

The "funny" tag being added to reviews was one of the worst thing I have seen Valve ever do and completely legitimized the "It's just a joke, bro" culture that thrives on creating pointless edgy garbage. At first I thought it was just Valve trying to, in some way, differentiate the legitimate reviews with the not so accurate ones but now I realize it was just a way for them to not lift a single and sift through their own review system and they themselves to hide behind the "It's just a joke, bro" tag.

Shit like this is why I can understand why devs now want to nuke all reviews and forums from their store page even though that sounds completely insane to me and I also believe will actively harm games in the long term. Sure the benefits vastly out way the negatives but when the negatives are so blatant and obvious yet now a single thing is being done( until now) then yeah I can see where devs are coming from.

Freezard

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reviews and Let's Plays are making me seriously consider a day 1 purchase. If the PC port is fine I probably won't be able to resist, my last AC was on PS1 despite me liking those kind of arcadey-flight games. *sheds a tear for Strike Commander*

I have reviewed the PC version and it ran smoothly at max settings 1080p on my Ryzen 2700 and RX 480. Finished the campaign without any crashes in borderless windowed mode. There are a few settings to change the graphics but nothing too deep. You can scale the resolution up to 2x though.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I would say it again i want to see Reviews separated to Game Review (gameplay, story...) and Technical Review (optimization, bugs...).

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The "funny" tag being added to reviews was one of the worst thing I have seen Valve ever do and completely legitimized the "It's just a joke, bro" culture that thrives on creating pointless edgy garbage. At first I thought it was just Valve trying to, in some way, differentiate the legitimate reviews with the not so accurate ones but now I realize it was just a way for them to not lift a single and sift through their own review system (...)
Not really. They never planned regular manual moderation of reviews in the first place, because given scale of Steam that would be insane. And the thing is - it worked, joke reviews are way less prominent now than they used to be. Or maybe I set Steam up so that it shows less of them. Anyway, they're avoidable now, which is an improvement.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I have reviewed the PC version and it ran smoothly at max settings 1080p on my Ryzen 2700 and RX 480. Finished the campaign without any crashes in borderless windowed mode. There are a few settings to change the graphics but nothing too deep. You can scale the resolution up to 2x though.

4 times I think.
Also considering it's an UE4 title, I think we can tweak some stuff.

crimsonheadGCN

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Clifton, NJ
I wish we could associate our ResetEra accounts with different services. Just found out that XenForo allows for associations with Steam accounts and this allowed my gaming clan to set up leaderboards for most played games, most owned games, most active Steam users, etc.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. They never planned regular manual moderation of reviews in the first place, because given scale of Steam that would be insane. And the thing is - it worked, joke reviews are way less prominent now than they used to be. Or maybe I set Steam up so that it shows less of them. Anyway, they're avoidable now, which is an improvement.

wait is there a way to filter out reviews that have a certain threshold of "funny"

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I've written before about how well the Steam review system works and how it serves the crucial function of providing information and experiences from actual players for the hundreds and thousands of games that don't get mainstream coverage. Which are also the games I'm usually more interested in.

Everyone arguing that a "no review" or "reviews at the publisher's convenience" system is actually functionally superior for gamers has an agenda -- and that agenda is not helping people in making more informed purchasing decisions.

Last edited:

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Right now I'm looking at the reviews of Gris, they're extremely positive and the negative ones I see are well reasoned. That's despite it being a) not very long, b) not having much of a difficulty and c) little replay value, a combination seemingly going against what hardcore gamers want.

And that's what I see most of the time, the amount of review-bombings and truly hateful comments seems miniscule, my overall impression is that the situation has actually gotten better, less cringy joke-reviews than a few years ago. Or I got better at ignoring them.

I've written before about how well the Steam review system works and how it serves the crucial function of providing information and experiences from actual players for the hundreds and thousands of games that don't get mainstream coverage. Which are also the game I'm usually more interested in.

Just bought Megaquarium solely based on someone mentioning it here and reading some of the 90% positive user reviews. And I can't count the 'Mostly positive' games where the reviews helped me decide to buy or not to buy.

Cesspools. Cesspools everywhere.

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any good linear platformer games lately? I love metroidvania games and I've played a ton of them the last year but I would like something that's more like the first part of The Messenger.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Well here's an interesting one, The Sinking City (the other upcoming Cthulhu game after the one that just came out at the end of last year), has changed it's date on the store page from March 21st to just 2019.

I'd anticipate a delay for this, as they seem to be slightly cagey on social media about confirming or denying a delay either way actually - which is just odd.
Besides the day before Sekiro is a piss poor slot for it anyway.

I smell a "store" exclusive.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I made my goty list! Top 10 for the offical GOTY, so the first five spots were the ones selected for the PC era GOTY :)
  1. Celeste - It is the best perfect platformer ever conceived. Moreover, it has a perfectly crafted soundtrack as well as an intriguing and genuinely captivating and charming story. Though the best part of it is most certainly its amazing level design and incredible sense of challenge and progression. It is a masterpiece!
  2. Subnautica - I love its atmosphere and the sense of progression throughout it. It is a game that has both an amazing story content and an awesome survival system. Exploring was just so much fun!
  3. Into the Breach - What an amazing game! Every turn is decisive, and every decision is important. This game turns every turn into a puzzle, and I was extremely satisfied when I managed to finish it on the normal difficulty.
  4. Book of Demons - A game that is inspired by the Diablo series, but has its own flavour entirely. Instead of equipments, the player needs to manage a set of cards with its own actives and passives to progress. The combat is in real time as well, so sometimes you have to keep managing cards while dodging and attacking. It was a very addictive experience and very charming too because of its artstyle.
  5. GRIS - Its probably the most beautifully looking game I have ever experienced. Its artstyle is really something else and that is why it has made its way into my list. What a lovely ride!
  6. Iconoclasts - It was a charming game with some neat puzzles and, most importantly, some really amazing boss fights. The story was quite intriguing as well, but some of the boss fights were what got this game here in my list.
  7. Unravel Two - It was an improvement over the first entry and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience with my girlfriend. I think it should be more often recommended as an excellent co-op game.
  8. Return of the Obra Dinn - This game should have been further up in my list, but when I played it I was in the middle of a super intesive part of my masters degree. What happened was that I couldn't manage to progress into the game after a while and ended up finishing it with a guide. I couldn't bear not knowing the end of the story and couldn't study because of it. I think if I were more patient and waited for it, the experience would have been more wholesome. In spite of it all, it is still a masterpiece. Lucas Pope has my respect.
  9. Yakuza 0 - I played this one just for a few hours, but I can tell that the story is intriguing. I'm planning to keep my run in a while, but just for what I have seen, it is worth taking a spot in my list.
  10. Fe - A short game with a cute artstyle. It was one of the first 2018 games I finished this year, and it gave me a good impression. Nothing extraordinary, but some parts were memorable.

Last edited:

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone arguing that a "no review" or "reviews at the publisher's convenience" system is actually functionally superior for gamers has an agenda -- and that agenda is not helping people in making more informed purchasing decisions.
Now now Durante, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Some of them are just idiots.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
When you're are personally invested in the game then I imagine the stakes are higher, it is not too weird to want to remove as much of the variables involved that can affect how your game sells. Anyway that tweet just seemed like it was making an observation that I think many people agree with to some extent, don't really see it as trying to single out Valve.

The thing is that I saw Indie devs on Twitter saying that some reviews for their games are just "wrong", even thought someone just stated their opinion. Then you check out their game and it seriously doesnt look good.

I even posted about one dev a few pages ago that has a new Metroidvania in development and he responded to people that said that from the looks of it it doesnt look special to something like "iT dOeSnT lOoK sPeCiAl" with that meme...

Why does stuff like Bright Memory or Bloody Spell already has so many positive reviews without marketing?

Lets say I am interested in a new visual novel. The first thing I see is the art that might look amateurish. I buy it because maybe the writing is good like Higurashi, which has shit art, but great writing. I play it and after 2 hours I also think the writing is bad. So I write a Steam review informing other people that I think the art isnt good and the writing isnt good. I could write "It isnt good" or "Art and writing sucks".
Its legitimate criticism and I express my opinion.
Why would some people think its considered toxic?

It seems that devs that dont want to have a review system are actually not really confident in their products if they dont think other people like it as much as them and rather want to remove a customer service to maximize profits, because no one can see that that product is actually utter mediocre or even worse.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So I played a few hours of My Time in Portia last night and it is quite charming. "crafting" stuff takes way too long though. As the entire game revolves around building, it shouldnt take me 5 in game hours to smelt a bronze bar in which you need 5 to build something. I am on day 12 and I still havent built the bridge from the first quest! Other than that I am loving it.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
I can only hope to ascend to the level CliffyB is on, where I can post nothing but self-serving, self-pitying "waaah" tweets forever and with that same face tell others, with no hint of irony or awareness of hypocrisy, that I'm "thick-skinned."

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Just finished Resident Evil HD Remake prior to RE2 coming out. First time playing it since the original way back when. Great game. Minor frustrations from the old save system and i did a lot of tracking back and forth as i had no clue where to go a lot of the time. Still enjoyed it a lot and looking forward to RE2.

Status
Not open for further replies.