• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo, My Time At Portia is shaping up to be legit as hell.

Got about a dozen hours in and I'm incredibly happy with the 1.0 release.

It's gorgeous and charming. Sports an awesome soundtrack and there seems to a LOT of depth under the hood, with a dizzying array of possible activities.

BIG thumbs up so far.

r3n4ud

Oct 25, 2017
Quebec

It's gorgeous and charming. Sports an awesome soundtrack and there seems to a LOT of depth under the hood, with a dizzying array of possible activities.

BIG thumbs up so far.
Today is the day I commence this game. Can't wait!

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Last weekend ive re-discovered Neo Scavenger after ive ragequit it some months ago and uninstalled it immedeately.

Brutal piece of software but what a lovely little game. Has there ever been a hint about a sequel or similar?

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

BIG thumbs up so far.

The games are starting to add up. In the past week I have bought Portia, Okami, Iconoclasts, Feudal Alloy and Double Cross. Already beat Double Cross, half way through Iconoclasts but I have no time for Portia! oh and I have to play all these alongside Path of Exile :(

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Today is the day I commence this game. Can't wait!

Just a couple audio/vid Pro-Tips before you dive in.

1. Default sound mixing is weird so you might want to bump the Voice slider all the way up and bring the Music down to around 50%.

2. Default visuals look a bit washed out. Thankfully there's a Contrast slider in the Options menu. I slid the default from 50 to 60 and it made the color saturation far richer than the default setting.

The games are starting to add up. In the past week I have bought Portia, Okami, Iconoclasts, Feudal Alloy and Double Cross. Already beat Double Cross, half way through Iconoclasts but I have no time for Portia! oh and I have to play all these alongside Path of Exile :(

Yeah, I hear you.

Picked up Portia on a whim after hearing the price was going from $20 to $30 at 1.0 launch. Tried the demo a few days before launch and insta-bought it.

Then I started watching Let's Play vids for the RE2 demo and concluded that I needed it in my life. So I pre-ordered that one as well.

Least it will be an interesting juxtapose bouncing between Portia and RE2!

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
On the plus side, it's more motivation to learn Japanese.
Which will not help me much without a PC version, but yeah.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weew, glad I didn't buy either of the Cold Steel games and can pretend the series met it's untimely end after TitS 3

Mar 23, 2018

Cold Steel 3 announced, NISA, not XSeed.

No PC.

That's interesting

https://techraptor.net/content/president-nihon-falcom-games-on-steam

Toshihiro Kondo: We have no hesitation about releasing games on Steam. Rather, given that we don't have a large staff, we mainly have to rely [on] partners to help us realize a PC port. When we first started releasing games on Steam, we were initially unsure of whether or not players would want to play our older games. However, as we gradually released games on Steam and saw the very positive reaction that was much greater than we expected, we feel like we want all of our games that come out to [release] on Steam.

Perhaps, in the future, another publisher will pick up this entry and port it to PC?

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how I'm not even angry over the Cold Steel 3 stuff. I went from being a Falcom Super Fan last year to still waiting to pick up Ys 8 when it goes below 30 bucks cause of NISAs shit job.

I blame Falcom completely, that recent quote from Kondo made it clear he gave zero fucks about NISAs poor translation and PC shit show. So the series for me is now "maybe I'll pick it up on a deep sale." if it even comes to PC anyways.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt that we wont see CS3 on PC eventually. First lets see how that localization turns out, can't wait to see who they hired.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Well, the first two Cold Steel games came to PC years after they were released on PS3 and Vita, so it's not a surprise that the 3rd one not getting released on day one. I'm pretty sure we'll see it in a year or so after console release, hopefully ported not by NISA.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
I guess we'll hear more tomorrow and likely hear something about a PC version. Either "there will be more news about a PC version in the future" or "we currently have no plans for a PC version."

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I never understand the appeal of Cold Steel games. Bland artstyle with last gen assets, highschool tropes characters, uninspiring gameplay, poor-man's social link system, etc.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
EDIT: Ooops my bad, I misread the small L as an I.

This is what it's come to, us freaking out like crazy. Dangit NISA, you best not fuck it up...

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
No Cold Steel on Vita? Stab me in the heart why don't you.

I still haven't played Trails SC :(

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never understand the appeal of Cold Steel games. Bland artstyle with last gen assets, highschool tropes characters, uninspiring gameplay, poor-man's social link system, etc.
and connected to the stellar Trails in the Sky and by extension world building quality only rivaled by the Suikoden series in the realm of JRPGs. Cold Steel might be the Suikoden IV of the franchise, but its fans still want to experience the continuation of the larger plot going forward, dagnabbit.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't see all gaming news this month has been bad but... it hasn't felt like a good month for gaming news. Only thing I'm looking forward to this month is finally playing the RE2 remake. Guess there's still enough time for something like Capcom announcing the removal of the Steam version and making it an Epic Store exclusive.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
I've got a question for anyone playing My Time at Portia: How important are all of these time limits and competition elements? I was looking for a pretty relaxed experience, so when I started up the game and immediately got told I was supposed to be competing with the other builders in town and saw time limits on the quests, I was taken a little aback. Am I going to miss out on stuff if I'm not trying to heavily optimize my play? I tend to go all-in when a game asks me to optimize, so I'm not sure if I can play this right now if it's going to be the sort of game that makes me go nuts trying to squeeze out every last bit of efficiency I can.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017

True, but it's also a sequel to Sky and Crossbell (the main characters of those 2 arcs even return for CS4 as party members) so it's hard not care if you're invested in the series.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Cold Steel III will come to PC. I doubt Falcom wouldn't want it ported, once the gargantuan work of translating this game is over. Doesn't even have to be NISA, Ys Origin has been ported to other platforms by 3rd parties, using XSEEDs translation.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a question for anyone playing My Time at Portia: How important are all of these time limits and competition elements? I was looking for a pretty relaxed experience, so when I started up the game and immediately got told I was supposed to be competing with the other builders in town and saw time limits on the quests, I was taken a little aback. Am I going to miss out on stuff if I'm not trying to heavily optimize my play? I tend to go all-in when a game asks me to optimize, so I'm not sure if I can play this right now if it's going to be the sort of game that makes me go nuts trying to squeeze out every last bit of efficiency I can.

Far as I can tell you won't miss out on anything. It's just an Opt-In kind of deal where you look at any event or contract that's timed and decide if you want to invest the time & resources to participate.

You won't lose anything if you'd rather be doing something else. Some quests are timed, most aren't. Just a way to mix things up.

The only thing I'd keep an eye out for are timed story quests. And even those are lenient as hell (at least so far). Like I got a request to bring 5 Wooden Boards to the Tree Farm and it gave me 14 days to fulfill the contract. Now I did have to build a Civil Cutter to process the wood, but all those pre-req requirements can be done in a single day.

I think the timed Story Quests are more of a Tutorial to keep you abreast of the variety of activities at your fingertips more than anything else.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Far as I can tell you won't miss out on anything. It's just an Opt-In kind of deal where you look at any event or contract that's timed and decide if you want to invest the time & resources to participate.

You won't lose anything if you'd rather be doing something else. Some quests are timed, most aren't. Just a way to mix things up.

The only thing I'd keep an eye out for are timed story quests. And even those are lenient as hell (at least so far). Like I got a request to bring 5 Wooden Boards to the Tree Farm and it gave me 14 days to fulfill the contract. Now I did have to build a Civil Cutter to process the wood, but all those pre-req requirements can be done in a single day.

I think the timed Story Quests are more of a Tutorial to keep you abreast of the variety of activities at your fingertips more than anything else.

Gotcha, that sounds pretty agreeable. Thanks for the info!

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
I'm seriously thinking of upgrading the 1050ti that came with my black friday pc purchase with an RTX 2060 come tax time but would the I5 8400 cpu on the pc cause a bottleneck with it?

I don't think i can get away with having to get a new cpu too lol

I would just be 1080p gaming with 60fps as a priority.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously thinking of upgrading the 1050ti that came with my black friday pc purchase with an RTX 2060 come tax time but would the I5 8400 cpu on the pc cause a bottleneck with it?

Nah, it shouldn't, not unless you're somehow pushing past 120ish fps

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

That CPU is fine for most games if you target 60, for now. This is slowly changing however and I don't think you can get a rock solid 60 out of something like Assassin's Creed Origins or Odyssey with it, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.