• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are your plans for Christmas?

• Family

Votes: 572 49.6%
  • Games

Votes: 681 59.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 273 23.7%
  • Anime

Votes: 259 22.4%
  • Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not bothering to check if there is, but I sure hope there's no overlap between people getting mad about the Epic store and people defending EA revoking access to products someone paid for

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing to slowly watch the narrative change over the last few days about why paid exclusivity is good.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
It's really weird that PC/Steam is not even mentioned in TWD trailer or site page for the game. What is going on?

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
One curious thing mentioned there:
Q) OK, maybe this is good for developers, but how is this good for customers?
A) From our standpoint as customers, a curated store with a more limited selection of quality games is a plus.
The curation argument has been frequently thrown around. What does it say about curation that the Epic store launched with just a handful of games, yet titles such as Hello Neighbor: Hide and Seek are featured among them? Previous game was absolutely terrible, early impressions on the new one so far seem to indicate it's not any better. This sort of title releasing on a store with no user reviews or a clear refund policy is certainly not a plus to customers.

It's clear developers asking for curated stores are assuming they'll get in, when in fact most won't get such a chance. And when bad titles will always be available on these services as long as they're backed by a publisher, let's not pretend this is beneficial to customers.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
One curious thing mentioned there:

The curation argument has been frequently thrown around. What does it say about curation that the Epic store launched with just a handful of games, yet titles such as Hello Neighbor: Hide and Seek are featured among them? Previous game was absolutely terrible, early impressions on the new one so far seem to indicate it's not any better. This sort of title releasing on a store with no user reviews or a clear refund policy is certainly not a plus to customers.

It's clear developers asking for curated stores are assuming they'll get in, when in fact most won't get such a chance. And when bad titles will always be available on these services as long as they're backed by a publisher, let's not pretend this is beneficial to customers.

I like that every dev sees their accepted games as "quality games"...

And as soon as they get rejected, other devs will cry how curation is bad.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
They probably forgot the games exist on PC.
Under the description of the video they uploaded:
Clementine's journey continues with Episode 3: "Broken Toys" - coming to you on January 15th, 2019. All previous episodes and seasons returning to their respective platforms available NOW (for Steam, please see details).
For full details, please see here
Checking the full details and there's absolutely no mention of Steam or PC.

Galdere

Oct 25, 2017
JAN 2019 - Epic Games announce devs that use the now free unreal engine will be contractually obliged to only publish on Epic Store on PC.

JUN 2019 - Epic Games announce that all of China will only be allowed to officially use the Epic Store on PC

SEPT 2019 - Valve announces Team Fortress has been adapted to be Fortnite but much better and L4D3 is launched simultaneously.

DEC 2019 - Epic Games gives away all available Fortnite content to anyone who purchases a game on the Epic Store.

JAN 2020 - EA's share price plummets more and all their games appear on Steam. Bethesda & Epic Store exclusives are all on Steam.

FEB 2020 - Humble "Save Epic Games" Bundle with all Steam keys, but it gets pulled because IGN don't want their 10% fee going to Tencent.

JUN 2021 - Epic Games store changes their cut to 31% but 24% for sales over $1 billion.

JULY 2022 - Epic Games store reverts to Fortnite launcher. The company is sold to Microsoft for $1 trillion.

JULY 2022 - Fortnite is sold to Gamigo for $1.

Something like that anyway.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
It's just typical, "Curation is good as long as we benefit from it"

It simply means those who are backed up by proven publishers or make it on Steam can get in. We have seen it happen with GoG.

Since they have data from Steam Spy, maybe they are using that to pick who gets in :P

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only who thinks all these launchers is bad, specifically for smaller indie developers? A fragmented user base can not be good for exposure.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
what's this event people are going crazy for?

You are from Argentina, arent you? Have fun paying US$ for games then.
i think after 90% of steam's lifetime i spent as a second-degree citizen, paying american prices (or higher) with restricted gifting, so while i'm definitely happy valve finally stopped being the absolute fucking worst, it's not a privilege they've always afforded us

and in the same way league has regional pricing, i don't see why this is something other stores won't adopt (or have adopted already, i don't really play ubisoft or EA games). it sucks in the immediate future but don't worry about me, i'm well trained at not expecting regional pricing so i'm not too bothered hehe

Or Chinese gamers not even be able to play the games, because Bethesdas and Epics Launcher arent available there.

And even then. The Bethesda launcher even sent consumers CC info to other consumers. Its not about a different launcher. Its about inferior launchers and buying 3rd party exclusivity.
Linux gamers cant even play those games now.
these are all valid, but sound like specific issues that can just get fixed with time? like no way epic won't sell games on china lol

like idk, league has regional pricing, works in china, runs on mac and linux and afaik rito doesn't leak personal information any more frequently than valve does. like i don't think this is some secret sauce valve found that you can't replicate, you know?

don't worry tho, exclusivity sucks and it's not something i'll defend cos i really wish i could've just bought persona 5 on pc instead of having to carry this fucking giant ps4 all across japan. i'm just not apocalyptic about new stores cos i just find new stores natural since no one wants to share their slice with digital gamestop. it'll take time and change is painful but i think it's kind of inevitable and it'll get markedly better

also i really fucking hate the play store and the app store and i really wish someone comes in and destroys them lol

Am I the only who thinks all these launchers is bad, specifically for smaller indie developers? A fragmented user base can not be good for exposure.
steam really managed to sell people a shit ton of games they didn't really wanna buy so i guess it's up to epic to figure out how to do the same with the millions of 14 year olds that only play fornite, hopefully when they grow up but let's be honest...

the idea tho is that someone like epic can bring a new audience so that could be positive, although by the nature of fortnite being a f2p game, i'm guessing its players are not probably gonna be bringing as much money as the average steam costumer

other stores like ea's or ubisoft's probably don't bring anything to the table, since they just take costumers from steam onto their own stores so they get all the profit for themselves

i can't tell if that's good or bad for indies tbh, but i can't tell if steam is good for indies anymore either

i think whatever the case indies that aren't stardew valley are mostly in a bad spot

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
How come sometimes when I start Steam, my friends list pops up and other times it doesn't?

Oct 26, 2017
"If you already purchased the season pass, it will be available through whatever platform you originally bought it! (including Steam) " That's pretty clear, yeah.

"More news for future PC purchases to come soon." New sentence that doesn't mention Steam.
I just pulled the trigger on a grey market site after this announcement... Prolly the only place to get it now and in the future :/

Status
Not open for further replies.