Doom likes?
Quake likes?
Uber shooters?
Corridor shooters?
Speed Shooters?
Super Shooters?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I like Retro FPS. These games are based on the Golden Age I got to see in real-time. But I'm no Boomer, my parents are.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
CRPG stand for Computer RPG? I thought Classic RPG. So I figured just call them Classic Shooters.

Just not Boomer Shooter. They have nothing to do with boomers, and the whole 'ok boomer' thing is already dated.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
What I'd give for a breakdown of the age distribution of people who hate the term boomer shooter so we could finally have a precise mathematical description of what constitutes being old and out of touch.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I'd give for a breakdown of the age distribution of people who hate the term boomer shooter so we could finally have a precise mathematical description of what constitutes being old and out of touch.
You don't have to be old or out of touch to not like some terminology. It's just a different opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
Boomer Shooter is a great name.
They're shooters.
The boomer both describes the higher energy level they tend to have over modern shooters and their age.

Also attribute the genre with the dad of one of my neighbors, who is an actual boomer.
He introduced me to Wolfenstein, and would always tell me about cheats and secret areas in Doom.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
This implies people using the term aren't old and out of touch themselves.
Pretty sure zoomers don't even know the term boomer shooter.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Referencing Wolfenstein is cute but it definetely didn't play like a boomer shooter.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
You can't call them Doomlikes or Quakelikes since a lot of Boomer Shooters/classic style FPS games have more of a Wolfenstein level feel to them. Boomer Shooter is an all encompassing term for retro style FPS games. Whether they look and feel like Wolfenstein, DOOM/Duke3D or Quake.

Gameplay in all of them however is usually much more fast paced than any of the classic games really were.

And I love them.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Half Life isn't a boomer shooter, it's what killed the original boomer shooters.
Neither were Doom nor Monolith's AVP. Boomer shooters are a new genre aping tons of old games of various varieties, and the classic 90s shooters including Doom and Half Life were definietly of a piece and enjoyed by many of the exact same fans. I'm just talking old school shooters which my boomer dad played. Plus, we still got Serious Sam and Painkiller after HL, and if you can't see the obvious influinfluence of HL and games like it on boomer shooters like Dusk and Wrath, i don't know what to tell you but it seems obvious to me.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I dislike Boomer Shooter because boomer is a pejorative. Doomlike is my oreferred term I guess, although I am more inclined to just say something like '90s FPS' or 'Old-School Shooter.'