Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nah. Dude is one of the few highlighting the flaws of Game Pass on PC.

On one hand, yes I think the OP is exaggerating in this particular instance, but on the other, yes I'm glad the OP has also been consistently pointing out the Game Pass/Xbox App/Windows Store issues throughout the years.

Because, like clockwork, anytime anyone ever points out an issue with it, there's always a flood of "WORKS ON MY MACHINE" "NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS," as if said issues haven't been documented ad naseum.

But it is true that the store is in a much better place that a few years ago, where often the only way to fix it was to completely re-install Windows. If they could fix the somewhat recurring issue of games being a version or two behind and occasionally missing features, that would be even better. Yes it's a dev issue, but maybe they could offer support to get the games current with the other versions? Cause, outside of Nier Automata, this problem is almost always exclusive to Game Pass/Windows Store.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i do wanna thank this thread, i've been obliviously running my pc somehow without windows updates for 3 months now, something got fucked up and library and update weren't working at all. simply restarting fixed it, then i got like 20 windows updates and 37 microsoft store updates (including xbox apps) and i woulda never looked into it without wondering how my PC was doing as far as gamepass is concerned

funny thing is just a few days ago i ran eiyuden chronicles (gamepass) on PC, while i finished the game on xbox i wanted to try and get a trophy thats way easier on PC than xbox (expert racing) and it worked fine, even importing my xbox cloud save seamlessly. so yeah, gamepass PC is WAY better today than 2-3 years ago when UWP was in the picture but the biggest issue still remains, if you end up in a dead end with errors and things don't work, it can be insanely frustrating trying to figure out how to fix anything. it is better though.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
This is a dev issue and there is no real solve for this unless Xbox imposes a financial penalty or incentive so devs dont pull this kind of thing

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
this isn't really an issue with Microsoft

Microsoft is the storefront and has a certification requirement because it ties in with the console ecosystem... it's not just a PC store it's a multi-modal store.

Game wasn't finished for release and the build given to cert was with something that shouldn't have been there and that is not Microsoft's fault.

Just remember back in the day when a game was going gold and that was one month before release? That's post certification. So at minimum 6 week lead time from completion to release. Then you had a couple weeks to fix issues to get a launch day patch and another couple weeks to prepare your next one.

If you failed cert then your next patch could clear and you still had enough time to resolve cert issues. Devs aren't timing things correctly anymore.

UAZ-469

Dec 12, 2023
The store may not be a complete shambles but I have repeatedly had issues there that I have not encountered with any other launcher. Epic, EA, Ubisoft, all have their annoyances but they have never fucked up installs before like the MS store has.

To everyone saying "it's not MS's fault, it's the dev" - - that may be, but why is it only the MS store where devs suddenly have issues? Why not any other store? Do devs just hate MS store users? At what point do these stop being wild coincidences?

this isn't really an issue with Microsoft
Microsoft is the storefront and has a certification requirement because it ties in with the console ecosystem... it's not just a PC store it's a multi-modal store.

That's all well and good, but a PC user doesn't see any of that, just 'game not working' or 'game has fewer features.' MS may not technically be at fault, but they seem to have set themselves up to be blamed because their name is on it. It's their problem to solve. So I will continue to avoid it and recommend others do so.

Last edited:

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
The store may not be a complete shambles but I have repeatedly had issues there that I have not encountered with any other launcher. Epic, EA, Ubisoft, all have their annoyances but they have never fucked up installs before like the MS store has.

To everyone saying "it's not MS's fault, it's the dev" - - that may be, but why is it only the MS store where devs suddenly have issues? Why not any other store? Do devs just hate MS store users? At what point do these stop being wild coincidences?

That's all well and good, but a PC user doesn't see any of that, just 'game not working' or 'game has fewer features.' MS may not technically be at fault, but they seem to have set themselves up to be blamed because their name is on it. It's their problem to solve. So I will continue to avoid it and recommend others do so.
the problem is the certification process - it's strict like console, whereas steam is a lot easier to release updates for your games. it's not ideal, but it most likely has to do with xbox parity more than anything. this is rarely an issue with first party titles, but it does create problems for a few games off the top of my head, including hellblade 1 and quantum break, which have a newer patch available on steam.

MS/Gamepass doesn't have any kind of compatibility issue with nvidia features, as they are in a bunch of gamepass games. it's the devs fault for not releasing it with these features, it's MS's fault for making the certification process to release the update more of a hassle than on steam

also…I don't think nvidia rtx logo means raytracing or even dlss at this point. it's just a marketing label when you see it on splash screens like this

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
This has already happened several times, they need to do work there.

Also yesterday I tried to download a game and the download speed wouldnt go past 10Mb/s ( I have 1gbps). Very annoying.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
This has already happened several times, they need to do work there.
that it has, so I mostly blame MS, but I'm surprised to hear the devs say they don't currently have plans to add it
Also yesterday I tried to download a game and the download speed wouldnt go past 10Mb/s ( I have 1gbps). Very annoying.
try downloading through the Windows Store app rather than the Xbox app. Sometimes i've been able to get much faster downloads that way (why, who knows)

UAZ-469

Dec 12, 2023
the problem is the certification process - it's strict like console, whereas steam is a lot easier to release updates for your games. it's not ideal, but it most likely has to do with xbox parity more than anything.
That is MS's problem to solve, a problem they created when they decided to have parity. They chose to attempt that challenge and so they take the hits when items on their store suffer because they're behind. Maybe they should revise their policies on parity. Maybe they should give Xbox more authority over the store. Maybe they should streamline their cert process. I just want a store I can trust to give me the current version of a game with no worries or tinkering.

Oct 27, 2017
I literally just downloaded FIST and Sword and Fairy since they're leaving game pass and it's the exact same situation with both of those games. They support ray tracing and DLSS on steam, but not on game pass. I had no idea this was common. Makes me think about what other ways games could be inferior builds. Missing optimizations, bug fixes, etc...

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Yes, the unskippable ad that shows the game supports RTX when it actually doesn't.

That one.
Alright so it's weird that they have the splash screen when it's not enabled in the build, but calling that an ad is both technically true but also disingenuous framing in the title

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
ahh, ok. i found this thread because i was trying to figure out why i couldn't select/find the dlss option in the upscaler setting despite it being explicitly mentioned in the game's menu text. bummer.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

Because the MS Store is the only store that has a different delivery system than your typical x86 app download store like UPlay, EA, Steam, etc. Microsoft offers a way to package up a game for console and pc in essentially one toolkit and be delivered via the Windows Store. Even if the games are x86 exes and all and not UWP, they are still packaged differently in some aspects.

That doesn't mean the games are incapable of being unique versions on pc vs the console versions. Even play anywhere titles like SWTD can have unique settings and options. Especially Unreal Engine games. See: Hellblade and Lords of the Fallen.

It is a developer issue. Especially when you are using a common engine like Unreal that has plugins for dlss and xess and fsr. Its like basic IFDEF or config stuff in the game. There's documentation out there for them to avoid these issues and serve both Console and PCGP properly.

Having to go through certification or supporting Xbox achievements isn't an excuse to neglect pc features otherwise available. It's literally just incompetence.

Palworld recently got DLSS added to the pcgp version. Also Unreal engine. I dont know why it took them so long but its obviously possible. It has nothing to do with the WinGDK preventing it.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Alright so it's weird that they have the splash screen when it's not enabled in the build, but calling that an ad is both technically true but also disingenuous framing in the title

Nvidia paid them to play a video that promotes their product that plays every time you load the game.

What would you call that?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
That is MS's problem to solve, a problem they created when they decided to have parity. They chose to attempt that challenge and so they take the hits when items on their store suffer because they're behind. Maybe they should revise their policies on parity. Maybe they should give Xbox more authority over the store. Maybe they should streamline their cert process. I just want a store I can trust to give me the current version of a game with no worries or tinkering.
I feel like these problems with their tenuous multi-platform approach are only going to get worse, if Xbox is intent on extending the store even further onto mobile. There's not really a good solution to it, much less one that Microsoft has shown themselves capable of delivering.

UAZ-469

Dec 12, 2023
It is a developer issue. Especially when you are using a common engine like Unreal that has plugins for dlss and xess and fsr. Its like basic IFDEF or config stuff in the game. There's documentation out there for them to avoid these issues and serve both Console and PCGP properly.

Having to go through certification or supporting Xbox achievements isn't an excuse to neglect pc features otherwise available. It's literally just incompetence.
Incompetence which ultimately sticks to MS due to appearances. When people have trouble with an incorrect version or anything else with the store, they will blame the store first, because they know those items can be gotten elsewhere without those problems. This is predictable customer behavior.

If MS doesn't want to be tarred with that, they need to make up the slack somehow. Either kick the products off the store (also makes them look bad), change how the software is delivered so it matches the other stores, or offer some streamlined system so that the devs can more quickly get their MS store item squared away. If they don't want to be blamed, they shouldn't be operating a store.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
This is the first time I've ever heard intro splash screens referred to as 'unskippable ads'.

Really weird.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't seem to be an issue of it being an older build though? But just that this is a specific build with specific tech and perhaps they can't get over a requirement for the RTX announcer even if a specific build won't have it.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Nvidia paid them to play a video that promotes their product that plays every time you load the game.

I would call that a splash screen, since that's the general terminology for it, and "unskippable ad" with zero other qualifiers implies to me something like a 30 second promotional video for RTX, not a logo at boot. Which is what I understood the title to be telling me

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Incompetence which ultimately sticks to MS due to appearances. When people have trouble with an incorrect version or anything else with the store, they will blame the store first, because they know those items can be gotten elsewhere without those problems. This is predictable customer behavior.

If MS doesn't want to be tarred with that, they need to make up the slack somehow. Either kick the products off the store (also makes them look bad), change how the software is delivered so it matches the other stores, or offer some streamlined system so that the devs can more quickly get their MS store item squared away. If they don't want to be blamed, they shouldn't be operating a store.
Of course that's expected. I don't think it's logical always and things can be improved still.

I think as Ms moves towards a universal store/open storefront policy things will get more lax and certification may go away entirely outside of a Deck Verified type system.

But the fact of the matter is certification and how the software is delivered/the gdk is no excuse for something like dlss not being there on day one. Usually its indies having trouble with this it seems, perhaps due to lack of experience and not following best practices.

They have had a release date for months and weren't held up by certification. They have been using the gdk and had their game pass deal for year(s). The devs are not saying dlss is coming in a patch but it's being held up, sorry for the wait. They are saying it is due to the gdk and it would require special code solutions (as if that isnt the job of an engineer in the first place). It's a reflection of them, not MS.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Of course. Do you think that publishers put those videos in for free?
Often times it's something they put in for contractual reasons rather than in return for being handed a brick of cash per se. Eg) the licensing terms of Bink might mandate that you include the logo at boot, as part of the contract you signed to license the encoders/decoders.

UAZ-469

Dec 12, 2023
Of course that's expected. I don't think it's logical always and things can be improved still.

I think as Ms moves towards a universal store/open storefront policy things will get more lax and certification may go away entirely outside of a Deck Verified type system.

But the fact of the matter is certification and how the software is delivered/the gdk is no excuse for something like dlss not being there on day one. Usually its indies having trouble with this it seems, perhaps due to lack of experience and not following best practices.

They have had a release date for months and weren't held up by certification. They have been using the gdk and had their game pass deal for year(s). The devs are not saying dlss is coming in a patch but it's being held up, sorry for the wait. They are saying it is due to the gdk and it would require special code solutions (as if that isnt the job of an engineer in the first place). It's a reflection of them, not MS.
I get what you're saying but this all seems besides the point. Unless Microsoft can somehow publicly assign blame to these devs, none of it is relevant. Microsoft needs these developers more than the other way round, or else Microsoft would simply not offer games that were not ready in time. But then they look really bad because other stores and competitors will have those games.

So regardless of what the developers are or are not doing, so far they have faced no consequences. Meaning it falls back to Microsoft to close this gap. And until then it's the Microsoft store that takes the reputation hit.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017

I can't see this happening at all. Not unless the Xbox console is gonna be going away from that core idea of a game console being the ease-of-use option.

Ghostshark

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's very common for gamepass versions of games to have missing features like DLSS.

One of my favorite games ever, Deep Rock Galactic, has a really bad gamepass PC version. It's missing DLSS, new content is a full patch behind the steam version, it has simpler cave generation, and HDR doesn't function correctly. I think the reason the xbox version is like this is because the game still supports the xbox one, so a lot of modern features probably won't work just to keep it compatible with the old version.

Remnant 2, Ark Survival Ascended, Palworld , and the Ascent are more examples of games missing DLSS. Of those, I know Remnant 2 and Palworld were eventually updated to have DLSS, but it was long after I had beaten and uninstalled the games.

Maybe it'll feel better once Microsoft is releasing more first party games again, but I'm probably going to let my subscription expire and not renew again when my stacked subscription is gone. Currently, gamepass PC feels like a demo service. if I want the best version of a game, I have to re-buy it on steam.

Last edited:

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get how MS consistently having older builds because of their certification hurdles isn't a problem that comes from MS's certification requirements? None of the other PC stores have these problems with older builds coming months later, if they even come at all?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I can't see this happening at all. Not unless the Xbox console is gonna be going away from that core idea of a game console being the ease-of-use option.
I can see it being a certification for launch to have an out of the box experience, but for stuff like patching itll just be fire at will with no further certification unless you want that Deck Verified like badge of approval to market with.

As the store expands and allows even more games to play on it i think itll be untenable to certify every change. And if next gen is essentially only an xbox pc like they will have to keep up with the other pc stores

I don't get how MS consistently having older builds because of their certification hurdles isn't a problem that comes from MS's certification requirements? None of the other PC stores have these problems with older builds coming months later, if they even come at all?
Obviously certification holding up a patch is a certification problem. However, it's the role of a studio or release management team to release updates to their users. They can time everything together so everyone is on the same page. Most games do this.

However, indie games that may be on steam only are used to just patching quickly and rapidly because there is no certification. No other pc store has a certification process because they dont have console platforms sharing their infrastructure/accounts.

In the case of Still Wakes The Deep, this isnt an old outdated build. This is a brand new release.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
it has to do with them copying their console certification process, which requires approval for new updates. steam really doesn't have checks like this
it makes no sense that they set it up this way, but it's kind of a "it is what it is" at this point, unfortunately
bethesda even tested starfield updates on steam instead of MS Store due to this, iirc

i'm already conditioned to only use gamepass for first party titles as a result. I only have gamepass because I have multiple xbox consoles.

Aug 31, 2019

At the start of the movie, are the production companies that help fund the film having their logo appear ads? They paid for it to be there. Is the name of the movie studio an ad? Is the actors, directors etc names an ad? Is the order of names an ad? Actors absolutely negotiate the order and framing of their names as part of their contract, so they are paying for their name to appear at the front or with a "featuring" or "special guest" or whatever. Are end credits, where they say "funded by Georgia state" or whatever ads?

I understand they are promotional things. And I understand you could consider that advertising. As you could logos on tshirts, or shoes, or the fact the outside of a coke can in a store says "coke" on it.

But it reads like you're really only using that term here to be melodramatic. No one would refer to boot logos as "unskippable ads" in a more normal context where they weren't annoyed at the missing feature. The phrasing is here to provoke anger and overreaction, not because it's the normal phrasing used to describe those elements.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
The bit about the ad seems to be an extreme exaggeration in the op title.

As for the second part, technically we are paying MS for the subscription so they should make sure that the latest builds are updated on the store without friction. But ultimately this issue only arises rarely, and just means a delay for a few days so it's not a big deal.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
It's very common for gamepass versions of games to have missing features like DLSS.

One of my favorite games ever, Deep Rock Galactic, has a really bad gamepass PC version. It's missing DLSS, new content is a full patch behind the steam version, it has simpler cave generation, and HDR doesn't function correctly. I think the reason the xbox version is like this is because the game still supports the xbox one, so a lot of modern features probably won't work just to keep it compatible with the old version.

Remnant 2, Ark Survival Ascended, Palworld , and the Ascent are more examples of games missing DLSS. Of those, I know Remnant 2 and Palworld were eventually updated to have DLSS, but it was long after I had beaten and uninstalled the games.

Maybe it'll feel better once Microsoft is releasing more first party games again, but I'm probably going to let my subscription expire and not renew again when my stacked subscription is gone. Currently, gamepass PC feels like a demo service. if I want the best version of a game, I have to re-buy it on steam.

dlss was fixed in remnant 2 in like 3 or 4 days

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yes, the unskippable ad that shows the game supports RTX when it actually doesn't.

That one.
Oh c'mon. You had me thinking it was a literal ad that shows up mid-gameplay or something. This'll likely get fixed soon just like The Ascent, No More Heroes III, Palworld etc but it's a shame they're launching in this state to begin with.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017

One of my favorite games ever, Deep Rock Galactic, has a really bad gamepass PC version. It's missing DLSS, new content is a full patch behind the steam version, it has simpler cave generation, and HDR doesn't function correctly. I think the reason the xbox version is like this is because the game still supports the xbox one, so a lot of modern features probably won't work just to keep it compatable with the old version.
The Windows Store version of DRG is made to have cross-play with all the Xbox console versions, which is why it's behind on patches and lacks detailed cave gen. Because that's the state the game on Xbox is in.

As for HDR and DLSS... TBH, I think it's just because it isn't worth the effort. It's all but certain that few people actually buy games on the Windows Store, developers are only getting serious money for that version from their Gamepass deals. Why bother putting in more effort than you need to keep it playable and fulfill your contract?

I can see it being a certification for launch to have an out of the box experience, but for stuff like patching itll just be fire at will with no further certification unless you want that Deck Verified like badge of approval to market with.

As the store expands and allows even more games to play on it i think itll be untenable to certify every change. And if next gen is essentially only an xbox pc like they will have to keep up with the other pc stores
They aren't making the next-gen Xbox a PC. The proposition is pure nonsense that falls apart under any scrutiny.
I don't see Xbox having any desire to "keep up" with PC storefronts when they're trying to present Xbox as the "universal" storefront, a whole different category they can decide the rules for since nobody else has. If they know they can't out-console Sony, why would they try to out-PC Steam, or out-mobile Apple and Google?

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020
games not that great, technically in general

performance is not that good for what the game does (i.e. linear non interactive small levels)
physic objects are 30 fps which looks pretty jarring
the included film grain is some of the ugliest i've ever seen
noisy SSR
water is okay but considering the setting i wish they would've paid more attention to it, Arkham Knight looks better lol

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Oh c'mon. You had me thinking it was a literal ad that shows up mid-gameplay or something. This'll likely get fixed soon just like The Ascent, No More Heroes III, Palworld etc but it's a shame they're launching in this state to begin with.
Again, to be fair the recent run of UE5 games are definitely pushing it a bit too much when it comes to startup stuff like logo videos and disclaimers shown - on each freaking launch.
I mean I get that they need to be shown but do they really need to be shown every time the same user is launching the game?
I understood that I shouldn't turn off my PC when this game is saving the first time, no need to pause your launch for 10 seconds every time to show me this valuable information.

NinjaLooter

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2023
I wonder how this is going to work with COD later this year. Wasn't the old COD on Windows Store not crossplay with COD on other PC storefronts?

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I always wonder why PC Game Pass numbers are so low considering the number of potential subscribers and I am assuming it is stuff like this that keeps PC users away from the ecosystem?

reksveks

May 17, 2022
I always wonder why PC Game Pass numbers are so low considering the number of potential subscribers and I am assuming it is stuff like this that keeps PC users away from the ecosystem?
Suspect the library of games on it is more important in general. I think that typically is the most important thing as well as inertia.

Ultimately we would need good consumer research on this to get an answer.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Suspect the library of games on it is more important in general. I think that typically is the most important thing as well as inertia
I don't know why the library would explain the difference between console and pc. They go out of their way to have pc favouring titles added.

Do we even know what the split is now? And since they are counting old xbox live subscribers it'll be impossible to make any guesses without better data. That is the one advantage on console, you just had to convince a lot of live subscribers to convert (to begin with).

reksveks

May 17, 2022
I don't know why the library would explain the difference between console and pc. They go out of their way to have pc favouring titles added.
More about why users have gone with Steam over the MS Store and PC Gamepass. If you have a look at the top 10 steam played games, only 1/2 is on the MS store. They probably had a moment with Palworld.

I think they do try re getting pc focused games but anyone trying to compete with Valve is going to struggle.

Do we even know what the split is now? And since they are counting old xbox live subscribers it'll be impossible to make any guesses without better data.
You are correct that we actually don't know what the % is now. I feel like it might have come out in the ftc case but that was a while ago.

Oct 28, 2017
Ever since they bought Bethesda and decided to shut down their crappy launcher I've been waiting for MS to make a proper Xbox store app or just move to Steam entirely.
This MS Store thing that's been derived form the Windows Phone app store is just isn't working, and never has been a significant thing on Windows PCs.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
More about why users have gone with Steam over the MS Store and PC Gamepass. If you have a look at the top 10 steam played games, only 1/2 is on the MS store. They probably had a moment with Palworld.

I think they do try re getting pc focused games but anyone trying to compete with Valve is going to struggle.
I agree with that but I won't say that's a question of library more that most pc players don't consider a recurring subscription service as attractive. I would say that not much would change even if some of the top 10 steam games were added to GP.

But we'll see.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Even ignoring that people have their libraries established on Steam -- often with well over a decade worth of games, stats and achievements -- Steam is also incredibly feature rich. It has insanely versatile built-in controller support, painless cloud saves, guides, forums (incredibly useful for finding potential fixes) and it's always the version with the best mod support.

You can also get old games for *very* cheap from bundles and sales, and pretty much every single release can be bought at a discount either through official resellers (GMG, Fanatical, etc), grey market (CD Keys, G2A, etc) or even on Steam itself -- as Valve strongly encourages developers (of non-AAA games, at least) to offer a 10-20% introductory discount.

So like, the financial benefit is nowhere near as great on PC and it also involves a lot of trade-offs that you don't really have on console. Buying a game on XBL or downloading it through Game Pass offer the exact same experience, while using the Game Pass app on PC instead of Steam will always be an inferior experience. It's not just the late patches thing, but a combination of a lot of minor inconveniences without enough financial incentive.