• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking of making a thread like this for a while, but the fact every few weeks another fantastic analysis video for this game has been creeping up, I thought now was the time I should make it.

I am a huge fan of this game, and I don't hide it. I made a topic back a bit after release about it's critical standing and games as an art form. Months later and my feelings towards it after having sat for a while are even stronger than before. I honestly believe Pathologic 2 is one of the most daring and compelling cases for video games using both gameplay mechanics for narrative function and how to use difficulty in a game for narrative purpose, I think the game has one of the best realized creative visions since maybe games like Silent Hill 2 and Shadow of the Colossus, it utilizes artistic direction, atmosphere, gameplay function, and narrative perfectly to convey a very unique experience. I honestly believe it's a game that's struggling because it's different, so many games are about empowering the player while Pathologic is about depowerment in every aspect and faucet of the game, but I believe in 15 years time it's going to be remembered as a masterpiece.

Apparently I'm not alone in these thoughts, some YouTubers who do more analytical videos of either games in-depth, game lore, game design or the like, due to the game reportedly being a bit of a commercial failure and some of it's praises being spread around through word of mouth slowly but surely have begun to try and convince others in-depth why Pathologic 2 is a must play game for anyone who wants an excellently crafted and unique experience in gaming.

RagnarRox is a mainly horror analyzer (probably best known for some excellent in-depth videos on Silent Hill, Junji Ito, and others) who was already a fan of Ice Pick Lodge (the creators of Pathologic 2) but believes Pathologic 2 is their magnum opus and does an excellent job of portraying why he believes the game is a masterpiece and has become his favorite video game of all time:

MandaloreGaming is a gaming reviewer who does more in-depth reviews of cult, niche, and certain styles of games. He gives the game a fair shake in his usual style and has quite some thoughts about it:

Chris Davis does video game in-depth critiques, he only checked out the game finally hearing it was a commercial failure and knowing another person he trusts praising this game's merits, so he checked it out and believes that Pathologic 2 sets a new standard for what should be considered Psychological Horror:

Grim Beard likes to tackle games a bit less seriously and give his thoughts and some stranger games. He had played the original Pathologic and though he overall he liked what it was going for and appreciated it, wasn't the biggest fan of it. But he has quite some thoughts on how the sequel follows it up:

I wish I could directly link to more in the OP, but one more I'd like to mention is if you don't want long-form analysis and more just a quick review style, Daria Vorobieva delivers her thoughts on the game with a bit of humor and a slavic viewpoint spiced in in a relatively short video review. There are others and more have been creeping up, but I don't want to stuff this OP with endless things to watch.

I think so many of these videos do a better job than I could expressing what I want to express to others about this game. I hope in some way this slowly building word of mouth helps propel this game to be successful enough to get ports for consoles and the other two characters, but as a lot of the team that's made it has already disbanded, so I have some fears there. One example is the excellent English translation of the game's team is mostly disbanded now, which is a shame since the English translation of Pathologic 2 is honestly one of the best video game translations I've seen, taking some really hard to translate Russian meanings and phrases and translating them to have depth and multi-purpose meaning also in English.

Still, I wanted to share these excellent videos and further express my love for this game, so I'll collect more of these as they creep up (another one just showed up today, the Psychological Horror video I posted above, which is what inspired me to finally make this topic), so I'm sure they're still coming.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Chris Davis is great and he dunks on righties every so often both on twitter and his videos.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Stop forcing the meme on everything.
I wanted to make a thread about the game design analysis following Pathologic 2 was developing for a while, another video that creeped up today made me want to finally go through with it, and this little silly tradition did pop up into my head so I went with it.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Okay that's it. I'm tired to hear about Pathologic 2. I'll check it out now. You feel happy people now ?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was exploring these vids over the past weekend and it went a long way to selling me on the game.

Was always intrigued but at the same time put off by the seemingly punitive nature of the gameplay loop.

Watching the videos made me realize that it's okay not to have a "perfect run" through the game. That's it's not meant to be a hero's story. And not everyone is gonna make it out alive.

Pretty intriguing stuff in that context.

So the game has gone from a Wishlist, I'll check it out someday, to a shortlist of I'll be digging into this in the next couple months.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Chris Davis is great and he dunks on righties every so often both on twitter and his videos.
Okay that's it. I'm tired to hear about Pathologic 2. I'll check it out now. You feel happy people now ?
Let me clarify, and these videos also make this clear, you absolutely do not need to play the first game to play the sequel. It's like how you don't need to play Silent Hill 1 to play Silent Hill 2, there's some connections but it's mostly stand-alone.

A better comparision is it's like Evil Dead 2 to Evil Dead 1, Pathologic 2 is literally reimagining of the first game in many ways that better realizes its vision, but also goes in a very different direction with it.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Let me clarify, and these videos also make this clear, you absolutely do not need to play the first game to play the sequel. It's like how you don't need to play Silent Hill 1 to play Silent Hill 2, there's some connections but it's mostly stand-alone.

A better comparision is it's like Evil Dead 2 to Evil Dead 1, Pathologic 2 is literally reimagining of the first game in many ways that better realizes its vision, but also goes in a very different direction with it.
But you should still play 1 first.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yep, been seeing these in my feed a lot.
Been procrastinating playing the original for what feels like forever now.
I know they're standalone but I've convinced myself I'm going to play it before the soft remake. Hopefully by the end of the year.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you might scare people off from touching any of it if they hear they've got to play the old game first. Unless I'm missing something and it heavily relies on knowledge of the original.

Yeah, I've watched all the vids in the OP and every one says just play P2 if it's your first time with the franchise.

I get the impression that for as obtuse Pathalogic 2 can feel at times, the original (and HD remaster) are like 10X as confusing and clunky.

I'm sure OG is great once you're hooked, but it seems like a big ask for the curious who have trepidation to begin with.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for the full controller support patch. Is it even happening still, after disappointing sales numbers?
It's to be seen, reportedly the team was scaled down from 60-80 people working on it to 5-10 people working on it after it's failing, there is people still working on it but it is a bit of a skeleton crew at the moment.

I am happy they got the difficulty patch out (though I do believe for the first playthrough at least you should play the game as intended, the game is balanced so everything is against you), but I hope there are a few more small things added like full controller support from those still working on it. They recently released a slightly updated version of Marble's Nest as free DLC for the game, so here's hoping with that done they focus on a few such things.

Oct 25, 2017
It's to be seen, reportedly the team was scaled down from 60-80 people working on it to 5-10 people working on it after it's failing, there is people still working on it but it is a bit of a skeleton crew at the moment.

I am happy they got the difficulty patch out (though I do believe for the first playthrough at least you should play the game as intended, the game is balanced so everything is against you), but I hope there are a few more small things added like full controller support from those still working on it. They recently released a slightly updated version of Marble's Nest as free DLC for the game, so here's hoping with that done they focus on a few such things.
If it doesn't happen, I wouldn't mind playing on kb+m, to be honest, it's just the lack of confirmation that has me waiting and hoping.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
I'd love to play it just from hearing and reading stuff about it, but I unfortunately don't have a gaming PC to run it. Definitely gonna check it out if ever it gets a console release.

May 17, 2019

Not exactly true. IPL was around 16-20 at its largest, with about half of that being laid off or rendered part time. Marble's Nest is being released in December alongside the Xbox release, so controller support can be expected then.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, you always make great posts about horror. Tempted to check this out. Skimmed through a few of these videos as they've popped up on my recommendations before. The game really intrigues me.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for the right time to play 1 and then this. Sitting in my Steam library for too long

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But you should still play 1 first.

Actually no.
Pathologic 2 is Pathologic 1 but better in every way. There is no point going back to 1, unless the player really wants to see the bachelor and changeling route after completing P2.

Both Pathologic,1 and 2 are VERY exhausting titles, and many players won't even finish one run, let alone play P2 after the first. So it's absolutely better is they skip 1 and try the better experience first. The leap from P1, which is a fascinating art experiment at best and a wreck at worst, to P2 which is an absolute masterpiece is just too big.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Very eager to play this. Might be among my next 3 purchases. Actually tried a bit of P1 before P2 released and bounced off of it. Glad to hear from fans of the first that P2 is an insane improvement.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
which is a shame since the English translation of Pathologic 2 is honestly one of the best video game translations I've seen, taking some really hard to translate Russian meanings and phrases and translating them to have depth and multi-purpose meaning also in English.
Whoever they had on hand to work on it truly must have been an expert the whole time.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
this is one of those games that I just know I'll absolutely adore but I'm waiting for the right time (after I finish the original and The Void, to boot) to do it justice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is one playthrough a pretty comprehensive experience? Or is this a game that requires three playthroughs.
Apologies if this was answered somewhere.

May 17, 2019
Is one playthrough a pretty comprehensive experience? Or is this a game that requires three playthroughs.
Apologies if this was answered somewhere.

In a way, both. There are three separate campaigns with their own quests, story, unique mechanics, and theming. However, each needs to only be played once. At the moment, Pathologic 2 only hosts one of the routes. Still, that one path is longer than many games, clocking in around 20-25 hours.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In a way, both. There are three separate campaigns with their own quests, story, unique mechanics, and theming. However, each needs to only be played once. At the moment, Pathologic 2 only hosts one of the routes. Still, that one path is longer than many games, clocking in around 20-25 hours.
Oh, I didn't know or had forgotten that they hadn't implemented the other two routes yet.
Honestly, I don't have time to put 70 hours into this right now, but if this is closer to 25 I think I'm just going to jump in and skip the earlier Pathologic game for now, maybe hit it up next year.

I've been feeling a bit underwhelmed by Outer Worlds following the incredible Disco Elysium. I had been really hyped for it, but I think I'm just craving a more tightly focused narrative game that Pathologic might address.

May 17, 2019
Oh, I didn't know or had forgotten that they hadn't implemented the other two routes yet.
Honestly, I don't have time to put 70 hours into this right now, but if this is closer to 25 I think I'm just going to jump in and skip the earlier Pathologic game for now, maybe hit it up next year.

I've been feeling a bit underwhelmed by Outer Worlds following the incredible Disco Elysium. I had been really hyped for it, but I think I'm just craving a more tightly focused narrative game that Pathologic might address.

Knowledge of the first Pathologic isn't necessary, apart from a few references, so you don't need to worry about playing it. DE was incredible, one of my favorites for the year. Patho2 is miles ahead of it though, in terms of writing at least.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'll make a separate thread for this when the premiere is over
I think you can make one now, I can edit the thread title after it's premiered if you mention it's premiering now in the title and I can take out it's premiering now when it's over. The premiere format can be fun to take part in, and this is apparently a 2-hour video.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I played the game for a few hours, but got sidetracked with other stuff. Need to get back into it, because I liked what I played. Have little time right now though. But it's definitely an interesting game with cool concepts.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Another video on Pathologic (2 this time) premieres in 18 hours from me posting this, and it's by SulMatul, who is arguably Pathologic's biggest fan and who's played both of the games the most:

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad for this thread cause it puts more pressure on people to buy Pathologic 2. Its a good weird game that really needs more sales.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I recently learned about the Pathologic games, like a year or two ago, and have been anticipating 2 coming to Xbox.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This video is just starting to premiere if anyone wants to hop aboard that: