• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It took Kingmaker a year or so to get mostly ironed out, but it's been one of my favorites of the recent CRPGS. Really excited for this one.

DharmaBum

Sep 5, 2018
Agree entirely, but I dunno. Games that are actually meant to be turn-based don't seem to have pacing problems, or I just don't really notice them enough to care, because it does seem to play out more tactical, like chess. Just like how games that are meant to be RTwP are obviously going to have all of the encounters and likely the maps designed around that. Good thing this mod lets you toggle back and forth though. The best of both worlds.

I suppose, but I personally felt like combat in DOS:2 was an unbearable slog half the time. Still, I'm all for options so people can indeed have their cake and eat it, too. However, there is always fucky balance when games offer both. Some classes in PF:KM benefit far, far more from turn based than others (like Magus) and vice versa. Same is true for Deadfire.

I love rtwp and am dreadfully annoyed that Larian will make BG turn-based. That is all

I too share that fear. They may ruin it. However, I will be far more forgiving if they ax the shitty AP system and just implement 5e's movement, action, bonus action, free action system. That's the only way I'll be able to tolerate turn based in BG3, if it's as true to the actual rules as possible (I'd still rather see them implemented as RtwP because I'm less of a purist and more of a staunchly stubborn asshole).

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I just bought the first game after waiting forever. I hope I love it - looks really well done and tons of fun.
I wonder if I could use my shiny new Steam Controller to play on the couch? I just got it and am very intimidated by it do I have not used it yet.

glad to hear the game did well enough to get another entry :)

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Can't wait!

And to everyone who is yet to play Kingmaker: do it! It is the only CRPG so far out of the recent CRPG resurgence which is a truly worthy Baldur's Gate 2 successor. Basically the only downside was its bugginess at release which is by now completely solved. It also starts a bit slow, but bear with this game, you'll love it!

Last edited:

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
I imagined that Wrath of the Righteous would be the next Pathfinder adventure path Owlcat would develop if they didn't want to create their own original story. They want to have you managing something large beyond just the core adventuring party and Wrath of the Righteous is the closest adventure path to the kingdom management aspect of Kingmaker, in that you are helping to manage the defense of a kingdom and a crusade in Wrath. Hell's Rebels and its rebellion system would have also been a good candidate, though now maybe in a third game.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Owlcats have posted the full announcement on their website:

THE NEW ADVENTURE – PATHFINDER: WRATH OF THE RIGHTEOUS
December 05, 2019

We are excited to announce Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous today. With our new game, we are taking everything that made Kingmaker enjoyable and building on top of it. We laid a solid foundation and are going to push the boundaries of the CRPG genre with our next title. We especially want to thank our community for their support — we would not be making this game if it weren't for you.

While not a direct sequel to Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous will expand and elaborate on the core elements of Pathfinder: Kingmaker. With such new features as the mythic progression system, a new corner of the Age of Lost Omens to explore, and more classes and character customizations drawn from Pathfinder's extensive history.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is based on the Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path from the tabletop game but includes new characters, plots, and elements to entertain even players already familiar with the adventure. It tells the story of a large-scale conflict between mortals and demons where players are invited to immerse themselves in a world under siege from demonic forces. As a vicious invasion threatens the world, the consequences of one's decisions will forge a unique narrative of their personal battle between good and evil.

Kingmaker's Creative Director Alexander Mishulin and Lead Writer Alexander Komzolov return to their respective roles. And we are happy to confirm that Chris Avellone is back on board lending a hand and supporting the narrative team as he did with Pathfinder: Kingmaker!

To stand against the demonic invasion, the player character and their companions will receive additional powers from the player's chosen mythic path. These paths vary widely in nature and profoundly impact the storyline of the game, permanently changing the characters and the world around them. You may choose the path of the immortal lich, wielding powerful spells and commanding an army of undead; the path of the angel, summoning celestial allies into battle and meting bolts of divine judgment upon foes; or something else entirely. Or the path of the trickster, causing mischief and fun even in the middle of the demon-filled abyss, warping the reality itself and turning the dices into "natural 20" from "1" to score a critical hit.

We have also changed and adapted mythic paths mechanics for the computer game, to provide the best gaming experience we can. In the new game, you'll find the mythic paths completely different compared to what you've seen in the tabletop game.

Some Pathfinder RPG character classes that didn't make it into Kingmaker will make their CRPG debut in Wrath of the Righteous alongside the returning roster, including — but not limited to — the fan-favorite witch and oracle. We will reveal more classes and character options in the near future!

With an improved visual style, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous will offer a look and feel distinct from that of Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Set in locations including a demon-infested wasteland, besieged crusader cities, and the foul, twisted Abyss itself, Wrath of the Righteous's art will capture the epic fight of the world's defenders as they struggle to hold the line against the corrupting force of otherworldly entities.

We will share details of the development process with the fans! If you want to be among the first who receive that sweet new update — follow us on social media or subscribe to our newsletter.

Also an interview with Owlcat leads has appeared on VentureBeat.

Oct 31, 2017
Wonder if we can expect some significant visual upgrade or it will be basically be just a "stand alone expansion".
Admittedly I was never too fond of Kingmaker's art style.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if we can expect some significant visual upgrade or it will be basically be just a "stand alone expansion".
Admittedly I was never too fond of Kingmaker's art style.

From the official announcement - " With an improved visual style, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous will offer a look and feel distinct from that of Pathfinder: Kingmaker."

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait!

And to everyone who is yet to play Kingmaker: do it! It is the only CRPG so far out of the recent CRPG resurgence which is a truly worthy Baldur's Gate 2 successor. Basically the only downside was its bugginess at release which is by now completely solved. It also starts a bit slow, but bear with this game, you'll love it!

Playing Kingmaker now and really enjoying it. Finally got to Pitax so I think I'm almost done.

My only issue (not a complaint) is that it is a bit too complex with the dual classes and builds. I think it is great that you can have so many insane combinations, but it is really confusing to someone whose D&D experience started and ended at 2E. I've been trying to read up on builds and its like "take 1 level of this and these feats and use this weapon, etc." and you are invincible. Meanwhile I've got a basic tank at level 15 that gets mowed down. Anyway, not a complaint, but I'm hoping there is a bit more assistance in the character creation and leveling.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I'd be ecstatic if that's true since RTWP blows and ranges from serviceable (best case scenario) to dreadful, but there's nothing confirmed, actually.
I would be saddened because everything you said is wrong. Except the confirmed part, we really don't know what they are gonna do but they do want to shake it up.

Hoping this us rtwp. A ton of the CRPG revival games of the last few years have been turn based but I've always prefered rtwp like Infinity Engine, NWN, KotoR and Dragon Age.

Oddly enough for JRPG's I prefer the opposite yet people seem to be gushing over games becoming more realtime and action based when I just want more Dragon Quest 11 and like Lost Odyssey pls.

I would sctually love a western CRPG game in this style, like Lord of the Rings The Third Age. Western turn based seems to put a lot of emphasis on positioning, movement and resource expensive probability based attacks which are just not fun sometimes when your fighting like 8 zombies in a row. They feel more like Tactics games than a classic RPG.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished my second full playthrough of Kingmaker (once rtwp, second time with TB mod) and I am so excited for this. Even after 300+ hours in the game, I would absolutely be ready for more.

As for the RTwP vs TB discussion, I feel like the system Owlcat made really works better with RTwP over TB. While the TB mod is incredibly cool and works surprisingly well, I found it to be much more poorly balanced, especially at the end game (which already had balancing issues, the TB mod exacerbates them).

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
My only request would be to tone down the reliance on town-management features. I eventually had to resort to both cheating and using a walkthrough to ensure I was researching the right cards at the right time etc. to not irreversibly screw over my playthrough.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
My only request would be to tone down the reliance on town-management features. I eventually had to resort to both cheating and using a walkthrough to ensure I was researching the right cards at the right time etc. to not irreversibly screw over my playthrough.
this should be the case since while you did do a little town building(and mass combat) in WotR from what i recall, it was no where near the scale of what it was in kingmaker. of course they could change that in the pc version... they already appear to be remaking the Mythic system from the ground up.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Playing Kingmaker now and really enjoying it. Finally got to Pitax so I think I'm almost done.

My only issue (not a complaint) is that it is a bit too complex with the dual classes and builds. I think it is great that you can have so many insane combinations, but it is really confusing to someone whose D&D experience started and ended at 2E. I've been trying to read up on builds and its like "take 1 level of this and these feats and use this weapon, etc." and you are invincible. Meanwhile I've got a basic tank at level 15 that gets mowed down. Anyway, not a complaint, but I'm hoping there is a bit more assistance in the character creation and leveling.

That was one thing that made it hard for me to get into early on as well. I have no knowledge of the D&D rulesets or the classes or the best way to build your characters and it's overwhelming. I just started playing it again though and I'm really enjoying it. I was just watching a couple videos that said how OP fighters are so that's what I'm going with and it's going fine so far. I just killed the Stag Lord so I know I'm still super early in the game but I like it.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
DrezenAssaultBabauNabasu_3840x2160.jpg

Kickstarter launches February, 4:
Wrath of the Righteous Kickstarter Launches February 4th.
January 13, 2020

Greetings, Pathfinders!

It feels like only yesterday we have released Pathfinder: Kingmaker. The game we put our souls into, the game of our dreams. And it is you, our community, who made it possible in the first place. We want to say thank you to all backers and supporters, for your passion, feedback, and patience. As you know, we always take work with our community very seriously. Especially with all the teasers and jokes (if you remember our first free DLC and announcement of announcement you will understand what we are talking about).

And with our next project – Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous – we want to bring work with the community to the next level. We will engage content creators, build a new forum for players' discussions, held detailed surveys during alpha and beta tests, and put emphasis on feedback from our community. You will help us to shape the game, drive our vision and achieve the most daring ideas. And to accomplish this we will launch a new Kickstarter campaign.

Why Kickstarter, you might ask? We want to make this adventure as epic as we imagined it when playing Wrath of the Righteous at the table. And, of course, we want our next game to become better than the previous one in every aspect. While we already have essential investments, there are a lot of things to add and improve. And you will be able to support us in this endeavour!

On February 4th, we will lift the shroud of mystery and share our creative vision, revealing all the main features we aim to deliver, along with the first gameplay video of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. And even more details are coming in the Kickstarter updates!

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Holy shit! Awesome!

Missed that the first time!

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Anyway, not a complaint, but I'm hoping there is a bit more assistance in the character creation and leveling.

Apparently they are making a special system for that in Wrath of the Righteous (they call it "not just some special tutorial, but a whole new learning curve system that spans through the whole game and helps the player in a number of ways, and is on hand anytime they need it"), judging from this interview:
Alex: While Pathfinder TRPG players would have been in their element, Kingmaker wasn't the most accessible isometric RPG at launch. Are there plans to make Wrath of the Righteous easier to understand and less intimidating this time around or are you committed to designing Wrath of the Righteous first and foremost around the TRPG ruleset in the same way?

Alexander Mishulin, Creative Director at Owlcat Games:
While making Pathfinder: Kingmaker two of our main goals were to expand the pen-and-paper experience to the CRPG, and also to revive the great old school hardcore CRPG experience, the one we grew up on ourselves.

While we succeeded at it and received good feedback from the hardcore audience, we understand that the huge Pathfinder system ruleset was left tricky and unclear in many ways for the new players unfamiliar with the tabletop game.

We want to fix that in Wrath of the Righteous, to make it more approachable to the players, to explain the rules better and make situations that are difficult (in terms of rules) more easy to understand. And of course, we are leaving space to think and explore, and providing opportunities to learn for those of the players who want it.

To make it so, we decided to develop not just some special tutorial, but a whole new learning curve system that spans through the whole game and helps the player in a number of ways, and is on hand anytime they need it. We are making this system non-intrusive, so the players who prefer a bit more old-school approach can play in the way they love so much.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't kickstarted anything in a while but I'll be down to do the "copy of the game" tier for this. The first game ended up being quite good after they got things ironed out, and it seems like they learned a lot.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently they are making a special system for that in Wrath of the Righteous (they call it "not just some special tutorial, but a whole new learning curve system that spans through the whole game and helps the player in a number of ways, and is on hand anytime they need it"), judging from this interview:

That's great. A little more information would really help improve the experience.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
Aren't there console ports planned for Kingmaker? I'd love to pick it up on switch. Its becoming a secret CRPG powerhouse machine.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm just hoping they get rid of the kingdom management system from Kingmaker. It felt like tedious fluff and padding for me.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Aren't there console ports planned for Kingmaker? I'd love to pick it up on switch. Its becoming a secret CRPG powerhouse machine.
Console ports for Kingmaker are planned to come out this year, though I haven't seen any talk about Switch yet. From the same recent Twinfinite interview I've linked above:
Alex: Pathfinder is a CRPG, of course, but would the team ever consider a console release?

Alexander Mishulin
: We are working on a console release for Pathfinder: Kingmaker now and would like to see how it will perform on these platforms, before making any serious decisions for the new project. The console port for the Kingmaker will be released in 2020, and we will reveal the release date later.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really nice that they're leveraging the excellent (and mostly bug-fixed) engine for more Pathfinder Adventure Paths, there's so many amazing ones that could be CRPG-fied relatively easily.

Not so happy that this will be competing with the Knights of the Chalice 2 kickstarter, unless the dev changes the time (again).

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I actually just started my second playthrough of Kongmaker last night and didn't even know of this Kickstarter. I can see myself kicking some money into this. Of the Kickstarter-era CRPG revival I think Pathfinder is easily my favorite.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I actually just started my second playthrough of Kongmaker last night and didn't even know of this Kickstarter. I can see myself kicking some money into this. Of the Kickstarter-era CRPG revival I think Pathfinder is easily my favorite.
It's shocking how good it is once the bugs are squashed and the balance (mostly) figured out. Why can't Obsidian just use a damn established setting with playtested mechanics?

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
I like both TB and RTwP but have grown to prefer RTwP. The action is more dynamic and you can, you know, pause anytime to tinker and be super strategic. Pathfinder in particular has slower paced RTwP which makes it more deliberate and enjoyable.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like both TB and RTwP but have grown to prefer RTwP. The action is more dynamic and you can, you know, pause anytime to tinker and be super strategic. Pathfinder in particular has slower paced RTwP which makes it more deliberate and enjoyable.
It would also help if they cut down a bit on the trash mobs, fireballing your 12th group of Kobolds isn't really the high octane gameplay I'm looking for in my CRPGs.

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
It would also help if they cut down a bit on the trash mobs, fireballing your 12th group of Kobolds isn't really the high octane gameplay I'm looking for in my CRPGs.

Fair point, but I will say that some trash mobs are welcome. Gives the player an opportunity to see their well built team demolish some grunts - nice little dopamine rush.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Beat my first play through of Kingmaker a couple months ago and spend 180 hours in the game. Can't wait to see this one and in combination with BG3 whenever the hell that comes out this 20/21 will be a good year for us.

Mr. Parrot

Apr 16, 2018
I enjoyed Kingmaker's early part but felt that some of the enemies were too overpowered and the mechanics weren't too well explained and had to drop it. I hope that the second game is better in explaining its mechanics but not too handholdy.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Beat my first play through of Kingmaker a couple months ago and spend 180 hours in the game. Can't wait to see this one and in combination with BG3 whenever the hell that comes out this 20/21 will be a good year for us.

It's been 6+ months since BG3 was announced and we still have no idea what it actually looks/plays like. Larian plz.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm just hoping they get rid of the kingdom management system from Kingmaker. It felt like tedious fluff and padding for me.
I have yet to give Kingmaker a proper playthrough so I'm not sure how to feel about this, but I know some people who may want to slap you for this.
According to them it was one of the best things about the game and something they are hoping to see in the sequel.

It's been 6+ months since BG3 was announced and we still have no idea what it actually looks/plays like. Larian plz.
Yep, like I said on their own forum, a big reveal with a CGI teaser and then ABSOLUTELY NOTHING more for months makes the original announcement feel like the marketing equivalent of a premature ejaculation.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this game. Would also love to see a Skull and Shackles game as well.

Kingmaker was really good so I hope they continue to build on this - I agree this feels like a good spiritual successor to the original BG games.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have yet to give Kingmaker a proper playthrough so I'm not sure how to feel about this, but I know some people who may want to slap you for this.
According to them it was one of the best things about the game and something they are hoping to see in the sequel.
It's literally trash in CRPG form and specifically made for Kingmaker (the tabletop adventure path). You CAN make it work on tabletop, but it takes a lot of work and is a pain in the ass.
The golden age never ends.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017

According to this article, there will be some form of "Crusade management" in place of kingdom management, and they claim that they improved this aspect taking into account all the feedback they recieved on Kingmaker:
Wrath of the Righteous is once again based on an existing Adventure Path for the tabletop game, but unlike Kingmaker, this one was not focused on the expansive kingdom-building meta layer. Instead, that system will return here in a slightly different form as you form armies to do battle against demonic forces.

You'll recruit armies, upgrade your forces, and push back against the horde of demons pouring out of the appropriately-named Worldwound. You can send your armies out to capture strategic locations, or to acquire artifacts that you can then craft into of equipment. Creative director Alexander Mishulin says "we listened to the feedback on the kingdom building and acted upon it to make the most captivating crusade experience possible."
I personally enjoyed kingdom management in Kingmaker quite a bit (naturally, on "Easy" kingdom mode, all higher difficulty modes make it too frustrating). Despite its shortcomings it gave the game a proper sense of time flowing and urgency, which I appreciated.

I enjoyed Kingmaker's early part but felt that some of the enemies were too overpowered and the mechanics weren't too well explained and had to drop it. I hope that the second game is better in explaining its mechanics but not too handholdy.
They gave the balance several passes over time as they patched the game, so there are now far fewer overpowered enemies. You might want to give Kingmaker another try.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
New interview with Owlcats' creative director Alexander Mishulin and head of publishing Andrey Tsvetkov.

A few interesting tidbits:
We were also criticised for a steep learning curve and balance issues. We're making the game more accessible for new players and providing additional difficulty settings to cater for everyone, from story mode to really difficult modes for hardcore players to find a challenge.

Kingmaker also had quite a lot of bugs at release, so right now we are making several systems that allow us to find those. One example is that our choice system tended to produce mismatches, so now we're making systems that allow us to see all logic continuities throughout the game to make sure that there are no missed branches that we thought were impossible but somehow have become possible. It will allow us to actively see what branches are still not working properly.

We're also working on a special bot that is running through the game even as we speak, and testing everything randomly – picking random choices, random directions to run. It's actually playing the game, and if it finds an error it reports it, and we're going to fix it. So there will be a lot more bot hours of testing.

They are considering the possibility of an optional turn-based mode, though not actively working on it just yet:
we're not denying that we might end up working on this in the future. [Turn-based] is a really nice feature and we understand why parts of the community ask for it. And the mods were really cool – we're glad there are people who actually do this. We might consider it later in development, but for the moment, as Alex said, we are focused on our creative vision, which is real-time with pause, as in Pathfinder: Kingmaker.