• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
The true Spanish Empire spirit.

iOd4foA.gif

But in Spanish.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Screenshots would help, but based on what I'm reading it's definitely possible. I've never done a World Conquest starting from the west, but around 1690 I would usually only have all of asia and maybe parts of Africa. As Uzzy said, you can get insane amounts of lands in the last hundred years of the game. Japan for instance is one 100% peacedeal with max absolutism, imperialism and 20% warscore reduction. normal sized Ming would take max 2 or 3 peacedeals, etc.

You just need to be in a War-core-war mode for the rest of the game, being as efficient as possible. Start a war, take a 99% OE peacedeal (you can go over with humanism probably, but it'll bring headaches), and declare your next war as soon as peace is signed. Sit on the warscore until everything is cored, sign peace, and declare your next war. Target bigger nations first (if Ming still lives, take him soon, or you'll need to trucebreak).

Also, you have 12 vassal/unions? Integrate as soon as possible. You'll need the slots for new vassals. It allows you to take more than the 99% OE.

Looking at the PLC comment, don't try to be neat by taking targets one at a time. Destroy the PLC, and immediately move into Arabia or some small part of Africa. You should never not be at war.

Also, around 1720-1750 you're gonna think that you're not going to make it. I had that feeling all of the 4 WCs I did. Ignore it! Go into your saves and make a backup of your current save just to be sure. With my Three Mountains I still needed all of Europe in 1780 and I got it in the end.

And trucebreaking after two years when your cores are done is not that bad in the end if you're running level 5 advisors. So if you need to do that, don't be afraid. Your admin tech level doesn't count for the achievement.

And let us know if you make it!
One other point, if you get close to the end and feel like you need more money, get every loan possible. Who cares if you're going to go bankrupt, as long as you go bankrupt one day after achieving the WC.

Thanks for the pointers, chap/ettes. I have max Absolutism at 100, and my actual Absolutism hovers around that 99% of the time. I am integrating my vassals (all PUs now gone), I got the 20% reduction policy via Administrative+Diplo (I think it's Diplo) Idea sets.

I have made a backup at 1703 (and 1690). I have no shame in save scumming for such an achievement - I am not going to do it again, just wanna get it over with. Good to know you took Europe between 1780 and 1821, that's kind of what I'm gonna be facing with India or China, I think.

I've no fear of truce-breaking! Onwards...

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
No Trail of Tears has me in tears from the boredom of sitting around in N. America waiting for Enlightenment...

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
No Trail of Tears has me in tears from the boredom of sitting around in N. America waiting for Enlightenment...

No other achievements you can go for at the same time? No Pirates in my Caribbean?

The New World achievements can be pretty dull, yeah. Might be best to just speed 5 it and wait.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Not even that starbucks achievement?

Edit: If you didn't know, there's a button in the top right that shows what achievements you're eligible for.

Last edited:

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Not even that starbucks achievement?

Edit: If you didn't know, there's a button in the top right that shows what achievements you're eligible for.
Yeah I already got Sleepless In Seattle while I was getting Blood For The Sky God. There's not a lot of achievements for natives in the Americas other than the RNW one.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
As with most Paradox expansions I will play in a few weeks when the hotfix/first post expansion update with fixes is inevitably released

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So I got La Resistance and decided to do my first playthrough as Spanish Anarchist to get the achivement of winning the Civil War as them. My first playt through went .. lets say well. It is quite easy to delay the civil war the maximum amount of time which will give you a far stronger position at least in medium difficulty, as you need to be extra careful with PP usage and always try and have something that will delay the uprising fast. I dont think defending that much territory is needed, but if you are able to control the south it will also allow you to more easily break the north and liberate your forces in the Basque/Asturias. Which I managed in my first playthrough! I refused any Soviet offer for support to make sure republican Spain wasnt in such a good state:
unknown.png

Reddit rank my encirclement in Navarra

The use of offensives is interesting but I think they buff too much in encirlements as they made them near unbreakable at times. I know it is by design but it does feel like a slog. Still from that position, I was able to micro a ton and continue encircling:

unknown.png

Got an offensive on Navarra and managed to clean it up more:
unknown.png

Bonus points for French being trolls:
unknown.png

So in the end managed to stabilize the borders like so:
unknown.png

And then it happened

I am playing the anarchists and the uprising happens soon. I get only Catalonia, Aragon and the frontline with the nationalists, with 50% of my troops out of supply because they are technically encircled. I manage to stabilize the front on my side by retreating but heavily injured.

I restart the game and play less godly to allow me to win.

unknown.png

unknown.png

So what is my opinion on Spain? Well, the gameplay loop completely breaks the normal flow of a HoI4 game, as you need to build up mils at start because SHIT GONNA HIT THE FAN FAM. The war itself is probably one of the most pro players feelings as you can constantly micro and wait for offensives to exploit the weaknesses. The aftermath tho? Feels bad, after so much time building up your military part, you end up being weakened and your "post war debuff" basically makes it harder for you to ramp up your construction which as you are a minor that didnt have the expansion on the beginning is quite meh.
Anarchist playthrough is pretty interesting, as you get the option to core regions with high compliance (above 60%) for 50 or 150 pp (depending on the area), which means you can easily core some of the african states with a ton of population for easy manpower (the two big african ones owned at start by Portugal are quite easy). However, as there is no way to easily build up compliance and PP with anarchists is a slog (i was getting 1.88 daily with the +10% and without doing any focus). You also get the option to launch anarchists insurrections for 150PP and 20k equipment (which is a ton for a minor!).

Now about manpower, both Anarchists and Carlists get a +5% base manpower, which makes them meaty as fuck. I was having 1M on my reserves as Anarchist Iberia after coring some African parts with the lowest rank of military conscription. They have the potential to go full on USSR if tsomeone finds a way to get it rolling).

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Messed around with the new spy/resistance systems as germany last night and i find most of it rather bad.

I had my spy agency almost fully developed before the war breaks out in 39 and outside of codebreaking i don't really see much worth.

Compliance is a interesting feature but i feel like it is a worthless feature in it's current state. Atleast as germany.

You'll get 2 spies by developing your spy agency and another one for having Hungary and Italy in the Axis. Unfortunately operations always take two spies so for germany to build up compliance before the war breaks out you'd have to massively delay.

The collaboration goverment operations needs you to build up spy networks up to 50% (for some reason the spy network gets reset after each operation), spend 90 days preparing and another 150 days of doing the operation.

You'll get 20-45% compliance for one of those operations. Unfortunately that means you'll get 2-3 of those operations done until the war breaks out (In my case 2x for france and 1x for poland). Unfortunately you cannot do those operations once you've taken the territory so you'll start with 0% compliance for yugoslavia, belgium, netherlands, romania and soviet union (though i got on operation in before they declared war). As compliance only grows with 0.04% in the beginning and drops the higher your compliance gets its basically useless to wait until compliance is build up.

TLDR:
As germany you can safely ignore spying (codebreaking buff is nice tho) and building up compliance once the war starts as growth is too little to have any meaningful benefit in a decent time frame and you don't have enough spies to do any meaningful preparation for more than 1-2 countries. If you don't wanna care about resistance at all just puppet everyone.

Also the manpower drag of garrisons is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Ok the new Stellaris dev diary is great. It's a two-parter that first focuses on how the military AI is used and how it is now improved in the Federations patch (with some improvements coming alongside the first support patch, when they've received enough testing), and the second is the same rundown for the economy AI.

Plus, it starts with this:
Today, we are gonna talk about AI.
pasted%20image%200.png

A good introduction for those new to the field

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I need a new EU IV challenge to dive into during this CV bullshit. My Spanish WC is still in progress but tbh I find it a slog and actively unfun in many ways.

Any suggestions? Might go for the Sun God achievement again but the debuff Native Americans get from colonial contact is hideous.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
I need a new EU IV challenge to dive into during this CV bullshit. My Spanish WC is still in progress but tbh I find it a slog and actively unfun in many ways.

Any suggestions? Might go for the Sun God achievement again but the debuff Native Americans get from colonial contact is hideous.

Going for the Prince of Egypt was fun as Florence.

Or if you want a challenge, Zoroastrian Persia is something I tried but never managed to make work.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017

Eat your greens!

New World nation usually aren't fun. You speed 5 through the first 100 years and then it's a coin flip whether you die to the Europeans.

The Mewar achievements were pretty chill and not that difficult, or a horde is usually pretty fun as well.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Eat your greens!

New World nation usually aren't fun. You speed 5 through the first 100 years and then it's a coin flip whether you die to the Europeans.

The Mewar achievements were pretty chill and not that difficult, or a horde is usually pretty fun as well.
I wish that they put in the effort to fill the new world map in the way Europe is. Or at least give New World nations ways to interact with "unsettled" territories.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Persia games are lots of fun. You're at a pivot point between Europe and India, have to deal with the Ottoman at some point as well as Indian power houses. You're likely one of the few Shia nations out there, and the Feudal Theocracy mechanics are really fun. 50 Military Points for claims on EVERY neighbouring province that isn't your religion (or allied)? Very strong. There's two achievements to go for as well. Starting as Ardabil and forming Persia gives you a real challenge, as you're really weak for a while and surrounded by the Ottomans and whatever's left of the Timurids.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I cheesed the Persia achieve via Mamluk culture conversion :/

But I haven't got the Ardabil one...

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone played Imperator: Rome recently and if so is it worth getting into again?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
How much have people been following the CK3 dev diaries? I've been kinda off and on, but the one yesterday piqued my interest quite a bit more. And now that I look back through the older ones and watch their monthly videos I'm getting pretty excited. I hope it actually hits the 2020 date if it's in the shape they want it to be.

There should be more discussion here in general anyway!

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
How much have people been following the CK3 dev diaries? I've been kinda off and on, but the one yesterday piqued my interest quite a bit more. And now that I look back through the older ones and watch their monthly videos I'm getting pretty excited. I hope it actually hits the 2020 date if it's in the shape they want it to be.

I followed 10 or so diaries after that I didn't bother anymore.
My greatest fear was CK3 moving to less char focus or become mroe similar to other grand strategy titles. Once I saw that it actually is probably going in the opposition direction, so much so that with such an heavy focus in the chars It made me not waste time reading the diaries.
What i read it seems the devs are trying to make a game that is all about chars and their traits. Its exactly that i wanted and I will buy the game unless someone makes a better "CK3" than PDS. (is there anyone even trying?)
I don't know if it will be fun but the idea is fucking great. I hope the execution also is!

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel that CK3 is so ambitious it will be broken for at least a year before it's patched into a functioning state.
It will probably be hilarious. I'll be there day 1 to enjoy all the absurdity.

Though I expected a "The Sims" situation where each DLC from 2 would have to be re-bought later... If everything is there from the start, who knows what they'll add in actual DLCs once the game is fixed. An Inuit invasion instead of the Aztec one?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I was just digging back into them after I saw a PC gamer piece on that one. I'm pretty hyped, the new religion system looks great.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I feel that CK3 is so ambitious it will be broken for at least a year before it's patched into a functioning state.
It will probably be hilarious. I'll be there day 1 to enjoy all the absurdity.

Though I expected a "The Sims" situation where each DLC from 2 would have to be re-bought later... If everything is there from the start, who knows what they'll add in actual DLCs once the game is fixed. An Inuit invasion instead of the Aztec one?
Not everything is there from start, for instance I think Great Works and Societies arent there (and I think hordes dont really have that much difference with other tribal?). However, a ton of the DLCs have been made core of the game which makes it very interesting.

The entire way the religion modifications and Way of Life focus were put in game makes it ... very cool.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
There's a thread going that's keeping track of DLC features that are included, or things that are close enough to be close substitutes. It's a pretty good amount considering there are presumably months of additional DDs still coming.

All I really want at this point is for them to follow the Stellaris and I guess Imperator DLC structure of releasing systems with the update patch and additional content for those systems in the DLC.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
There's a thread going that's keeping track of DLC features that are included, or things that are close enough to be close substitutes. It's a pretty good amount considering there are presumably months of additional DDs still coming.

All I really want at this point is for them to follow the Stellaris and I guess Imperator DLC structure of releasing systems with the update patch and additional content for those systems in the DLC.
I think the recent EU4 DLC have really shown that they have understood that the "feature blob" of just creating single feature DLCs that then dont get fleshed out is not the way forward and that they will follow more the Stellaris "rework and polish" format.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think the recent EU4 DLC have really shown that they have understood that the "feature blob" of just creating single feature DLCs that then dont get fleshed out is not the way forward and that they will follow more the Stellaris "rework and polish" format.

That's what I hope, for sure. Stellaris DLCs are extra cool when they backfill older systems/expansions with content appropriate to the new DLC. It makes me feel much more secure in buying a DLC if I can possibly see it offer cool new stuff in the future.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
hwNtcHT.jpg

Sun God! Was pretty boring, actually... Still, did it!

One attempt I got smallpox forever. The next (this one), not one single negative event from European contact, other than a few defensive wars (none of which were dangeorus. Somehow I gamed it so that by the time they decided to attack, I owned 2/3rds of the continent, was reformed, and could pick off their feeble efforts at will).

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After thinking about it, I'm not super happy with the emphasis on sexual orientation in CK3 as highlighted in this article.

CK3 - Dev Diary #22 - A Medieval Tapestry

Hello everyone! Today Virvatuli and I are bringing you a Development Diary about how we’re catering to different player fantasies in CK3. We will also showcase some of the content and gameplay you’ll encounter! We are huge believers in allowing...
It is an extension of the system as it was in CK2, but I feel it assigns sexuality to an identity in a very XXth century way that is quite anachronistic. It's far too rigid to make sexuality a binary (well, quadrinary?) choice for such a long period on such a wide area. I think this comes from a good intention and it's nice from Paradox, but it really misrepresents how the wide spectrum of sexuality used to be before the brits in the XIXth century fucked everything over.

Raddy

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I'm bad at HOI4, mind you it was my first proper go at it. Recently in the mood for a grand strat game, played and enjoyed Stellaris a few months ago, and loved HOI2 & Darkest Hour.

Watched all 7 parts of quill18 beginners guide and decided on Romania for my first country. Don't have to worry about navy, unique national focus tree, fairly strong starting army compared to its Balkan brothers.

Went fascist farely early to declare on Bulgaria, however when I did get into war with them it seemed to turn into a mini WWI stalemate. I outnumbered them and I gained some territory, but eventually my losses became massive and I ran out of manpower by end of 1938.

What did I do wrong? Thinking maybe my infantry template was a bit crap? Also think I had a suboptimal production run, always out of infantry equipment and my divisions nevered seem to get their strength back.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Holy shit I'm bad at HOI4, mind you it was my first proper go at it. Recently in the mood for a grand strat game, played and enjoyed Stellaris a few months ago, and loved HOI2 & Darkest Hour.

Watched all 7 parts of quill18 beginners guide and decided on Romania for my first country. Don't have to worry about navy, unique national focus tree, fairly strong starting army compared to its Balkan brothers.

Went fascist farely early to declare on Bulgaria, however when I did get into war with them it seemed to turn into a mini WWI stalemate. I outnumbered them and I gained some territory, but eventually my losses became massive and I ran out of manpower by end of 1938.

What did I do wrong? Thinking maybe my infantry template was a bit crap? Also think I had a suboptimal production run, always out of infantry equipment and my divisions nevered seem to get their strength back.

So combat in Hearts of Iron 4 is about speed, mobility and breakthrough. You can't just expect to throw infantry into a meatgrinder and come out the other side (well, you can, but it's complicated). Breakthrough is the most important stat, after speed, to break the stalemate and win wars.

Infantry is not good at breakthrough. Infantry should be used to hold the line mostly, with a 20 Width Infantry Division of 10 Infantry Battalions. As Romania, you'll need some offensive Infantry Divisions too, 20 Width again but this time with 7 Infantry Battalions and 2 Artillery.

Encircle enemy forces and destroy them. As Romania you start with some cavalry divisions and a light tank division, and you can get another tank division through focus trees. Use those to breakthrough and spread out, cutting off forces from the capital province. If you do that they won't receive any supply and will de-org, meaning you can destroy them at your leisure.

Air superiority is important too, as well as close air support to bomb the enemy. And pay attention to the terrain! Don't be forcing your troops to cross rivers, push elsewhere.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So combat in Hearts of Iron 4 is about speed, mobility and breakthrough. You can't just expect to throw infantry into a meatgrinder and come out the other side (well, you can, but it's complicated). Breakthrough is the most important stat, after speed, to break the stalemate and win wars.
Talking bad about the great Soviet strategy I see.

Air superiority is important too, as well as close air support to bomb the enemy. And pay attention to the terrain! Don't be forcing your troops to cross rivers, push elsewhere.
CAS and air superiority are some of the most important things right now in HoI4. CAS and air superiority are in most cases the difference between barely winning fights and being able to win decisively and able to easily outmanouver the enemy. You should never get behind in airplane tech (or doctrines) and always have a ton of manufacturing in them (if possible).

Still, starting as Romania (or any minor) is quite hard as you dont really have the power to actually win by yourself against most of the things (you are not able to have both a dominant army and airforce) and you have to decide into what to specialize

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Was this confirmed or is it just from that Microsoft store leak?

Speaking of which, there was another one for the entire CK3 map. It's quite pretty, and conspicuously lacking a completed eastern border.

4yjbs5bpojy41.jpg

Regarding CK3, they pretty much said there wont be a China right now. I coudl see it added as future DLC, but the size of it (would need to be the Size of Europe) would be HUGE.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Hmm can I finish my current WC attempt (Mughals) before 9/6? Probably...

Have 1500 dev in 1545 or so. We'll see..

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
A "story trailer" seems so wrong for a CK game. Still miffed about no playable merchant republics (are they even in as AI vassals?), so I'll probably wait to see how "complete" the game is at launch.