Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I cannot get the timing for Superguard at all. I only got once against an Iron Cleft, but i couldn't replicate it again on the same enemy. I don't remember it being this hard and strict.

SlayTheCards

May 20, 2024
I cannot get the timing for Superguard at all. I only got once against an Iron Cleft, but i couldn't replicate it again on the same enemy. I don't remember it being this hard and strict.
It's strange because I'm the opposite, I can actually hit them so much more often now. I guess it's to do with the FPS(or maybe I'm a better gamer than I was 20 years ago...) but it seems very generous to get a superguard now.

SpiritDusk

May 5, 2024
Unfortunately, this final part of the game has left me feeling quite sour.

I can't defeat the Shadow Queen. I've spent hours upon hours trying to defeat her, and I keep making it to the final phase but she just has too many HPs. I don't know what to do. I've been using Vivian and her veil technique, went to the shops and bought loads of damage items, winning at the bingo.. and yet I can't get her anymore than 50HP remaining. This feels too hard, and unenjoyable. Please help?

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
It's strange because I'm the opposite, I can actually hit them so much more often now. I guess it's to do with the FPS(or maybe I'm a better gamer than I was 20 years ago...) but it seems very generous to get a superguard now.
Yeah when I played the og version I could never get superguards, now I hit them all the time

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

I can't defeat the Shadow Queen. I've spent hours upon hours trying to defeat her, and I keep making it to the final phase but she just has too many HPs. I don't know what to do. I've been using Vivian and her veil technique, went to the shops and bought loads of damage items, winning at the bingo.. and yet I can't get her anymore than 50HP remaining. This feels too hard, and unenjoyable. Please help?
There is a shopkeeper who can swap your points. Might be worth trying a HP focused or a BP focused build for Mario. I would grind and cook 4 to 6 Jelly Ultras.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022

Use Power Lift as much as you can during the first phase of the fight. Once you get to the second phase, make sure you have Vivian with you as your partner so that you can avoid the Shadow Queen's giant/dead hand attacks. Also make sure that she is fully powered up(through the Shine Sprites ofc), so that you and her can can deal alot of multi hit damages while also using some more Power Lift and Sweet Feast to not only increase your attack/defense, but also to restore your HP and FP by alot.

Edit: You might want to have alot of Jelly Ultras and at least two or three Zess T. Dynamites as a precaution.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
God DAMN I forgot about this General White wild goose chase. I had only remembered going to Petalburg in the original. Thank god for that pipe hub though.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
At ch4 now and I think this area has benefited the most from the remake for me so far. The music and visuals feel much softer now and I'm actually really digging the atmosphere. It's still eerie but there's just something a bit more pleasant about it.

I also can't deny that the lack of interactions between the partners is really bothering me lol. It always bothered me in the original, but it's particularly egregious this time around now that I've played games like Tales of Vesperia where the cast constantly interacts with each other through skits or side quests.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Chapter 2 has an okay overall flow but it has a lot working against it:
- the monochrome aesthetic gets tired fast
- the punies are boring and so are all the supporting characters
- the music in the Boggly Tree gets insanely annoying, like it was designed to grind on your nerves
- Flurrie isn't a great partner, she typically ends up the least used in the game
- Magnus Von Grapple is forgettable
- the backtracking bits make it feel longer than it actually is

If there was some other threatening force in the tree with a different final boss I think it would've been better.

With that said, the remake does improve on it with the better punie AI.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 2 has an okay overall flow but it has a lot working against it:
- the monochrome aesthetic gets tired fast
- the punies are boring and so are all the supporting characters
- the music in the Boggly Tree gets insanely annoying, like it was designed to grind on your nerves
- Flurrie isn't a great partner, she typically ends up the least used in the game
- Magnus Von Grapple is forgettable
- the backtracking bits make it feel longer than it actually is

If there was some other threatening force in the tree with a different final boss I think it would've been better.

With that said, the remake does improve on it with the better punie AI.
Yeah they did Flurrie dirty. Of all the partners, she feels the most random and out of place in her chapter. I think she should have been saved for ch.6 tbh. A famous actress and a train mystery just go so well together.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I just got to the part in chapter 4 where Vivian is revealed to be transgender.

That's pretty dang cool to see in a big Nintendo release!

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they did Flurrie dirty. Of all the partners, she feels the most random and out of place in her chapter. I think she should have been saved for ch.6 tbh. A famous actress and a train mystery just go so well together.

Yes! Specially so when there's no new partner in Chapter 6 (though I always find MM before). But I agree, she fits perfectly there.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man I finished this game so long ago I'm replaying it now with the remake and I don't remember ANYTHING. Not a complaint, but I don't know how I forgot a whole game lol

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished, first time played it.
I was aware of the hype and love of fans, and I loved Paper Mario 64 and even Super Paper Mario ( but despised Sticker Star and never played the sequels).
I didn't want to play it on an emulator and was waiting for a port, since people REALLY loved this one.
And holy shit the hype is justified. Somehow I was completely unspoiled in those 20 years, and this game is truly amazing, really. The care and soul this game has is unparalleled. Mario universe never looked so interesting ever. You care about every NPC and even enemies from Goldbob to Doo_liss.
The game constantly surprises you little twists and change in mechanics.

The soundtrack is also incredible. Not having any nostalgia or emotional attachment, I can say that most of the original music is better than the new one ( especially Glitzville), but I can appreciate some new changes in the island chapter and the remixed themes. Also the amount of effort in having a battle remix in every new chapter and a remixed Sub-boss or Boss theme every SINGLE time is amazing ( btw I was looking for the original Prince Mush battle theme only to realize this fight is completely new!).

So yeah, that was my rant about a new player of TTYD and I understand, even more, why fans of this game were SO critic about the direction this series went.
Hopefully this is a sign of better days ahead.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the game, and...

I cannot speak highly enough of how they handled Chapter 8. In tears.

The Crystal Star sequence is one of my all-time favorite climaxes in anything and while I've thoroughly enjoyed PMTTYD's translation into HD overall, I was deathly afraid of how they'd handle it especially with the divisive reception here.

When the Rogueport townspeople crowded around the square, I did a double-take.

The moment that guitar started shredding, my arms reached for Nirvana's sweet embrace of their own volition.

By the time the Glitz Pit rolled around and Rawk Hawk was screaming to feel the rawk and those goofy rock guys were yelling at the star and my man King K was rightfully restored to his glorious golden glory, it was over. Donezo. My eyes were stinging from crying so hard.

I never in a million years dreamed rock empowerment would work for that song and somehow the maestros at IS made it fit like Mario's papery gloves. Bravo. Bravo. Playing it on repeat god knows how many times now.

May or may not do a write-up later, but for the moment I'm just basking in the afterglow. Not a perfect remake, but they still knocked this out of the park. Ecstatic to clear out the post-game.

(Also, guess who forgot to equip the Feeling Fine badges for the final boss despite warning another user to do the very same thing? This guy! In a way, I think it makes that fight even funner.)

Man that whole sequence took me by surprise. Didn't expect a Mario game to go Earthbound in the end, lol.
I watched the original on YouTube and the remake was beautifully improved, with every NPCs around the stars and the particles effect around Shadow Princess and Peach ( the only downgrade was the final boss soundtrack though).

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, that was my rant about a new player of TTYD and I understand, even more, why fans of this game were SO critic about the direction this series went.
Hopefully this is a sign of better days ahead

giphy.gif

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
Just finished, first time played it.
I was aware of the hype and love of fans, and I loved Paper Mario 64 and even Super Paper Mario ( but despised Sticker Star and never played the sequels).
I didn't want to play it on an emulator and was waiting for a port, since people REALLY loved this one.
And holy shit the hype is justified. Somehow I was completely unspoiled in those 20 years, and this game is truly amazing, really. The care and soul this game has is unparalleled. Mario universe never looked so interesting ever. You care about every NPC and even enemies from Goldbob to Doo_liss.
The game constantly surprises you little twists and change in mechanics.

The soundtrack is also incredible. Not having any nostalgia or emotional attachment, I can say that most of the original music is better than the new one ( especially Glitzville), but I can appreciate some new changes in the island chapter and the remixed themes. Also the amount of effort in having a battle remix in every new chapter and a remixed Sub-boss or Boss theme every SINGLE time is amazing ( btw I was looking for the original Prince Mush battle theme only to realize this fight is completely new!).

Hopefully this is a sign of better days ahead.
Love to see it

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Of what I've seen so far the upped production values have made the biggest difference in Chapter 5's scenes, which always felt like it was kind of biting off more than it could chew when it came to action scenes. Here they actually come across as, well, action scenes. Well done.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I don't think I'll ever beat the Pit. I just got to chapter 7 and decided to give it another try. I got to level 70 and completely ran out of gas. Enemies just kept respawning/spawning new ones and I blew all my star points to try to crowd control. It doesn't help Mario is taking like 4-5 damage per hit.

It's such a time sink. Takes me like an hour and a half per attempt. Of my 22 hours in the game, I think a solid 5 have been pit attempts. You don't get any xp to really make the grind worth it until the later floors so it's just free money which kind of becomes worthless after a while. I have like 3000 coins with really not much to spend it on.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'll ever beat the Pit. I just got to chapter 7 and decided to give it another try. I got to level 70 and completely ran out of gas. Enemies just kept respawning/spawning new ones and I blew all my star points to try to crowd control. It doesn't help Mario is taking like 4-5 damage per hit.

It's such a time sink. Takes me like an hour and a half per attempt. Of my 22 hours in the game, I think a solid 5 have been pit attempts. You don't get any xp to really make the grind worth it until the later floors so it's just free money which kind of becomes worthless after a while. I have like 3000 coins with really not much to spend it on.

Buy some more Life Shrooms :3

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018

What badges are you using? Go in hard on damage boosting badges, use the guy to move your stats around to get more BP if you need to (I recommend leveling up HP and FP once each and throwing everything else in BP). Aim to boost your partner's attack by as much as you can so you can spam AoE attacks like Stampede and Fiery Jinx. For Mario he's best off using special moves, but you can also get decent AoE damage out of multibounce + jumpman + spike shield + a ton of attack boosts. This also makes your Power Bounce strong enough to OHKO almost any particularly problematic enemy which is nice. Super Appeal is also good to get more chances to nuke enemy groups with Art Attack. It's also good to equip Quick Change so you can swap out your party members at will and put them in front of Mario to use as meatshields.

Last thing I'll mention is that you're better off waiting until chapter 8 to do the pit since you'll get one more star point from finishing chapter 7, which lets you do two art attacks in a row without charging. Helps a lot with the crowd control.

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
Of what I've seen so far the upped production values have made the biggest difference in Chapter 5's scenes, which always felt like it was kind of biting off more than it could chew when it came to action scenes. Here they actually come across as, well, action scenes. Well done.
I was impressed at how much more dynamic the ship sinking was in this version. Seeing the ghosts ram it and sending people flying was intense af.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild how much backstory and lore this game has that is totally unmentioned unless you talk to the Grifty guy on Merlon's roof.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
What triggers the emails for the new superbosses? Stuff I read said as long as I did the other requirements I would just get an email, but I never have.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What triggers the emails for the new superbosses? Stuff I read said as long as I did the other requirements I would just get an email, but I never have.

For the one in the pits, you have to clear it once, then you should get an email as you're walking around above ground I guess

For the one in Glitzville, complete Jolene's trouble, then you get the email

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I did both.... And no email.

Glitz Pit requires you to do Jolenes trouble and become the Glitz Pit Champ. Although the latter one is like... I recall seeing footage where only Mush was on the menu. You get an email from Jolene and later Mush. Takes time to trigger, which annoyed me when it ate up my Sunday.

As for the 100 Trials Boss, you need to beat it once, beat the game, and supposedly hit Whacka on Keelhaul until he stops spawning.

It's wild how much backstory and lore this game has that is totally unmentioned unless you talk to the Grifty guy on Merlon's roof.

This was on my mind when FE Engage was being talked about. It was pretty wild to me that TTYD handled its world building more than Engage and perhaps even Fates.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
This shit is officially more obnoxious than General White. I went into the Palace of Shadow, did a handful of rooms, then went back out, back into Rogueport, went into Frankly's house, came back out, and I got the email... From Jolene.

I went back to the Glitz Pit, looked on the exhibition and... No Prince Mush. What the hell. I hit ranked match and it was just Rawk Hawk again. Whooped his ass for the third time. Still nothing. Tried to go in Jolene's office, couldn't. Tried to talk to her in the juice bar, still nothing. Checked the exhibition list again, still nothing. I Google this more and apparently I am supposed to get another email from Mush himself. I tried going in and out of Frankly's house, nothing. At least I got the email about the pit of 100 trials though so I guess I will do that.

Who decided this was acceptable?!

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Wrapped everything up minus my second run through of the Pit. Love this game but I still think I enjoy it less than 64.

Hopefully they bring Mario & Luigi back next since this and the Mario RPG both turned out excellent.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This shit is officially more obnoxious than General White. I went into the Palace of Shadow, did a handful of rooms, then went back out, back into Rogueport, went into Frankly's house, came back out, and I got the email... From Jolene.

I went back to the Glitz Pit, looked on the exhibition and... No Prince Mush. What the hell. I hit ranked match and it was just Rawk Hawk again. Whooped his ass for the third time. Still nothing. Tried to go in Jolene's office, couldn't. Tried to talk to her in the juice bar, still nothing. Checked the exhibition list again, still nothing. I Google this more and apparently I am supposed to get another email from Mush himself. I tried going in and out of Frankly's house, nothing. At least I got the email about the pit of 100 trials though so I guess I will do that.

I really wonder what the specific criteria is because it all played out very naturally for me. The only thing I'll say is that I happened to notice someone in here mentioning to do Jolene's trouble to begin with so I took care of it well in advance before beating the game/worrying about fighting him.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022

You're supposed to simply return back to Rogueport after 30 mins has passed since you completed Chapter 3 to receive the message
Edit: You might have to do Jolene's trouble as well beforehand.