How are feeling about TOK?

• I need this game NOW. Day 1.

• The game looks great, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• I am mostly worried and not impressed. Will wait for reviews.

• This is not what I wanted. I'm not getting this game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, not impressed. Doesn't look like it's for me.

I'm not going to write it off entirely just from one trailer though. I'll be interested in reading some reviews when they come out.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Game's apparently been chilling on Nintendo's servers for a while now, no wonder information about it leaked.

I wonder how much press people know about the game if they've been implying for a while that this is a return to form. A lot of people are already quick to argue it has nothing in common with the OG Paper Mario games and everything in common with Color Splash/Sticker Star.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, what are you even talking about? We only see Mario walking around with that one origami who seems to be a partner similar to the crown in SS and the bucket in CS. But other than that we don't know if those other generic characters act as partners. We don't even know if they fight along Mario or if Mario just stumbles into them and just interacts with them in those specific chapters. Don't spread misinformation.

?

In the video there are at least 3 partners shown following Mario around- Captain/Explorer Toad, folded Bowser and the bob-omb. In the screenshots shown in the video below we can also see Kamek doing that.

www.youtube.com

42 NEW Paper Mario: The Origami King Screenshots (LUIGI'S GOT HIS KART BACK, BABY)

Check out 42 new screenshots for Paper Mario: The Orgiami King, showcasing the overworld, battle system, and even more of the story!➤ PATREON: https://www.p...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Uh, what are you even talking about? We only see Mario walking around with that one origami who seems to be a partner similar to the crown in SS and the bucket in CS. But other than that we don't know if those other generic characters act as partners. We don't even know if they fight along Mario or if Mario just stumbles into them and just interacts with them in those specific chapters. Don't spread misinformation.

There is a clip of the bomb following Mario around, but it seems like that's just for general exploring we don't see them ever in combat.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I think it looks closer to Thousand Year Door or at least Super Paper Mario in having variability of location and characters, but it still looks like it's the heavy "gameplay-focused" Paper Mario style of the last two games, with a motif just as those of having a "gimmick", either the stickers, the color or now Origami, something that has to do with "paper", and that's why I already feel like this is going to be the last Sticker Star/Color Splash entry in a "trilogy".

It's going to be the best of them but it's still not looking like it's that true, adventurous Paper Mario with an epic plot. It's more just a cutesy cartoon with fun shenanigans made for kids.

This actually looks like it combines the two philosophies. Taking what did work about SS and CS, and tossing out much of the stuff that didn't, as well as bringing back elements from the old games. At the very least, it could be solid middle ground between the two like what Super Paper Mario was.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
My cardinal sin was saying that Sticker Star is probably an alright game in a vacuum, when my whole point was really just that people are judging this game way too early.

You said nothing wrong. You specifically said their critical reception so whether you played the games or not doesn't matter. In fact not playing the games actually probably gives you a better place to make judgement seeing as its free from bias and hatred of the last few games

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
4mUEnJL.png

lKVHBiV.png

WpfZY7m.png

u8jXhGi.png

klYWhwc.png

344whYB.png

Uh9XbA8.png

Looks fantastic, and also open world?

Oct 27, 2017
A Bob-omb and a Toad are both seen following Mario around in the trailer with the origami sidekick.

The Toad
?

In the video there are at least 3 partners shown following Mario around- Captain/Explorer Toad, folded Bowser and the bob-omb. In the screenshots shown in the video below we can also see Kamek doing that.

www.youtube.com

42 NEW Paper Mario: The Origami King Screenshots (LUIGI'S GOT HIS KART BACK, BABY)

Check out 42 new screenshots for Paper Mario: The Orgiami King, showcasing the overworld, battle system, and even more of the story!➤ PATREON: https://www.p...

Damn, sorry. I apologize, hadn't seen the images! Looks like you're right, they do look like partners in there.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Looks brilliant and it seems I chose a great time to get back to Nintendo with my lovely little Switch Lite. I've loved nearly all the Paper Mario games - including Color Splash (great game). It's only Sticker Star that's dogshit.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
1GyA4eu.png

If someone can translate everything on this, that'll be good.

From top to bottom on the left:
Action

L Weapon Item R
Mario's Boots
Mario's Hammer
+ Equipment

With "Jump" on the enemy:
Trample on
Normal boots

From left to right on the bottom:
- help (L) Action selection <-(L)-> Enemy selection (R) Camera (A) Decide

Then all the boxes on the right say "Kuribo", or Goomba.

The toad in the back is yelling "Ice flower!"

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My cardinal sin was saying that Sticker Star is probably an alright game in a vacuum, when my whole point was really just that people are judging this game way too early.
Your orignal post to me was "but these are good games" without any hint at "alright" or "vacuum" or even metacritic.

They are judging the game based on what we see and what we got the last 2 times.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
I truly do wish Paper Mario purists would move on and find some other (healthier) series/hobbies to be passionate about. Everyone here have been talking in circles for 40 pages.
I'm just a fan of the first three games. I don't spend time thinking about the series other than announcement threads etc.

If this ends up a great game, great! I won't hold it against it. I'm an analytical thinker and a realist, though. It's not in my nature to be super-optimistic (or to enjoy being optimistic).

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks closer to Thousand Year Door or at least Super Paper Mario in having variability of location and characters, but it still looks like it's the heavy "gameplay-focused" Paper Mario style of the last two games, with a motif just as those of having a "gimmick", either the stickers, the color or now Origami, something that has to do with "paper", and that's why I already feel like this is going to be the last Sticker Star/Color Splash entry in a "trilogy".

It's going to be the best of them but it's still not looking like it's that true, adventurous Paper Mario with an epic plot. It's more just a cutesy cartoon with fun shenanigans made for kids.
It's all still just generic mario characters though. Thousand Year Door and PM64 both had really unique characters made for those games, I've seen maybe 2 of those for this game? Think about all the unique races of characters we got in TTYD, we're seemingly getting none of that in this one.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The Toad

Damn, sorry. I apologize, hadn't seen the images! Looks like you're right, they do look like partners in there.

No worries, it happens.

But yeah so far we haven't seen partners in combat, which would be disappointing if that was the case. Though Nintendo does like to hold off on showing some game mechanics during game reveals in order to generate more hype later on.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Honestly, anyone suspicious of this game is probably right to be. After two games with incredibly mediocre gameplay, being unconvinced is probably the best call.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
While i completely understand (and im with those people 100%) the partners "missing" (in this game, the other 2 htey were really missing), the generic everything and no RPG elemts are totally killing the franchise, I will never understand people feeling that everything looking like real paper and cardboard, even the scenery, is a bad thing. It looks incredible, and im sure if the older paper marios would be remade with the paper textures, they would look fucking beautiful. I like that the enemies look like origami, its a cool thing to have in paper mario. If only it came with an ungeneric mario style...
I would kill if Koizumi would be the producer of everything Mario instead of "miyamotwannabe" Tanabe

Theres a scene or one of those small videos someone posted here with the bobomb character floowing mario on the tall grass map. But yeah, im with you, they dont seem like they will be complete partners like in the old games.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've said this before, but it's almost "too paper-y" for me. I know that sounds ridiculous for a series called Paper Mario, but I don't really like the Tearaway-esque style they've been moving towards. It still looks great, though. The design of the town is certainly eye-catching.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic. Extremely large emphasis on "cautiously."

'Generic' designs of characters and a gimmicky battle system aren't my first choice. I remain hopefully it's good, but damn I've been burned by Paper Mario for three games now.

Just please make one like the first two. If this game is that, great! But, I'm not sure yet based off of the trailer. Time will tell. It's definitely not an obvious "return to form" some insiders were saying.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
From top to bottom on the left:
Action
L Weapon Item R
Mario's Boots
Mario's Hammer
+ Equopment
Jump on the enemy
Trample on
Normal boots

From left to right on the bottom:
- help (L) Action selection <-(L)-> Enemy selection (R) Camera (A) Decide

Then all the boxes on the right say "Kuribo", or Goomba.

The toad in the back is yelling "Ice flower!"

That's such an awesome skill you have.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Not that anyone is surprised but just to note:

No sign of Races/enemies that originated in Paper Mario
As in, were created for Paper Mario.

Cleft
Koopatrol
Yux
Bub-ulbs
Doogans
Punies

and oh yeah
Kammy Koopa

She's been killed off the franchise that she was created for and was a main character, for a more boring replacement in Kamek.
Just, why?

But hey, no Koopa Kids so far, that's a plus.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This actually looks like it combines the two philosophies. Taking what did work about SS and CS, and tossing out much of the stuff that didn't, as well as bringing back elements from the old games. At the very least, it could be solid middle ground between the two like what Super Paper Mario was.
Which will still be bad because not much about Sticker Star / Color Splash was good beyond I guess graphics and locations and writing, which are all things that TTYD did just as well on top of having a much more focused direction of being an RPG with an involving story.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You said nothing wrong. You specifically said their critical reception so whether you played the games or not doesn't matter. In fact not playing the games actually probably gives you a better place to make judgement seeing as its free from bias and hatred of the last few games
what you call "hatred" is just experience. When cgatto sees a battle without partners and sees nothing wrong with it, that's not better judgment than someone who played the earlier games and know swhat that implies for the combat.

"the less youn know about something the better your take" is some weird ass logic lol.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Gamexplain brought up an interesting point. What if the Metroid, Donkey Kong, and other helmets give Mario powers or something?

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
game looks great, sheesh paper mario fanboys are agonizingly unpleasant. I loved the first two games too, and this looks like it'll be a great game. I just don't get it.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Your orignal post to me was "but these are good games" without any hint at "alright" or "vacuum" or even metacritic.
Well, apologies. A "good" game to me meant one that has a Meta score of, I dunno, 70 or above, which I would have explained if asked (and I did). They both fit the bill. Plenty of games in that category I hate that I wouldn't call bad just because I don't like them.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Color Splash was the ultimate form of Paper Mario from a visual standpoint, it's a timeless treat and I reckon this will be no different.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just a fan of the first three games. I don't spend time thinking about the series other than announcement threads etc.

If this ends up a great game, great! I won't hold it against it. I'm an analytical thinker and a realist, though. It's not in my nature to be super-optimistic (or to enjoy being optimistic).
I wish Nintendo would release those games so more people could experience them for the first time.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unpopular opinion but it looks too similar to CS, I really like clean splits when we're talking NIntendo franchises that aren't yearly, this visually looks like CS2. Also I hate the white outline on characters, get rid of that please.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I'll be in the minority thinking these look kind of messy and garish.

I've said this before, but it's almost "too paper-y" for me. I know that sounds ridiculous for a series called Paper Mario, but I don't really like the Tearaway-esque style they've been moving towards. It still looks great, though. The design of the town is certainly eye-catching.
The Tearaway-ish style is great, the problem is that Tearaway already did it better than this game is doing it. Hell, I'd say even Yoshi's Crafted World looks way better.