• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
The vast, vast majority of console owners own the base PS4 and XBO OG/S not the Pro/X.

And yes I don't think DigitalFoundry face-offs are part of mainstream culture quite yet.
And don't think they ever will, price is king here and whoever hits the cheapest out of ms and Sony and whoever hits first will be my favourites to win next gen.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand what's the strategy with Forza. Your most accomplished exclusive, according to the media, and the company basically uses it as fodder in not one, but almost every bundle available in the market. It happens in most of Europe, too, not only in the UK.

If you already have the system, the reasonable choice is to go only after the game. But if you're about to buy an Xbox, and the game is that good/attractive, it's as if they're leaving money on the table by "gifting" that game in bundles, instead of waiting for people to buy it. They could put any other title in those packs, instead of a new release selling at 50/60€.

It seems to work because it's cheap, compared to other choices, but I doubt there is no better alternative.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
And don't think they ever will, price is king here and whoever hits the cheapest out of ms and Sony and whoever hits first will be my favourites to win next gen.

of course they never will.....i mean, only a small fraction of car owners read car magazines. Or only a small portion of runnners read runners' world (disclaimer: I am a marathon runner and i don't read such magazines too :P )

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand what's the strategy with Forza. Your most accomplished exclusive, according to the media, and the company basically uses it as fodder in not one, but almost every bundle available in the market. It happens in most of Europe, too, not only in the UK.

If you already have the system, the reasonable choice is to go only after the game. But if you're about to buy an Xbox, and the game is that good/attractive, it's as if they're leaving money on the table by "gifting" that game in bundles, instead of waiting for people to buy it. They could put any other title in those packs, instead of a new release selling at 50/60€.

It seems to work because it's cheap, compared to other choices, but I doubt there is no better alternative.
That's what MS have been doing this gen, constant deals with multiple games, price cuts, etc.. they need to sell their consoles and doing deals is an easy way of doing that, this is why next gen will be interesting, Sony have been pretty chill with deals and PS4 is flying off shelves, what will happen if they go all in?

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
sale66e3e.jpg

RDR2 68/32
FIFA19 68/27

=O

AceofSpades

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really since usa is biggest market and xbox strongest

PS4 is outselling Xbox even in the US, factoring WW sales this 68% sales share is impossible to drop down, hell I can see minimum 75% or even higher split overall.

Remember Capcom report of last week or so? you can apply that split among all publishers. PS4 is just dominating this gen.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
haven't checked these for a few months but damn, what happened to nintendo's presence? they used to consistently have multiple evergreens in the top 15 or so, now they're all but gone. i remember weeks where they had the most in the top 10, now there's... one first party title. have things recently gotten worse for them in uk or am i being overdramatic?

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
haven't checked these for a few months but damn, what happened to nintendo's presence? they used to consistently have multiple evergreens in the top 15 or so, now they're all but gone. i remember weeks where they had the most in the top 10, now there's... one first party title. have things recently gotten worse for them in uk or am i being overdramatic?
Well they need new AAA games. Zelda and Mario Odyssey can't stay forever in the top 10 charts. PS4 and XBO are getting big AAA 3rd party games like Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Call of Duty or Red Dead Redemption 2. The Switch does not. Then you have Sony's big AAA exclusives.
The next big Switch game is Pokemon, which will boost sales again.
(edited)

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
New AAA multiplattform releases - its expected.
Unless you expected BotW and Splatoon 2 to outsell CoD, Fifa, Asssins Creed and co. in their launch months or shortly after.
Well they need new AAA games. Zelda and Mario Odyssey can't stay forever in the top 10 charts. PS4 and XBO are getting big AAA 3rd party games like Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Call of Duty or Red Dead Redemption 2. The Switch does not. Then you have Sony's big AAA exclusives.
The next big Switch game is Smash Bros, which will boost sales again.
Pokemon is the next big Switch release.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
New AAA multiplattform releases - its expected.
Unless you expected BotW and Splatoon 2 to outsell CoD, Fifa, Asssins Creed and co. in their launch months or shortly after.

Pokemon is the next big Switch release.
Ik most of the shift I'm seeing is due moreso to numerous incredibly successful non-switch games, but I guess I would have expected them to fall a bit less than they have tho, same with Mario tennis and splatoon 2. How Pokémon and smash do is most important of course.. has been a bit underwhelming in terms of big releases for switch lately

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is it wild for me to think Spyro Re-Ignited could outsell Pokemon Let's Go in the opening week for the UK? Spyro has always been really popular in the UK, Crash did exceptionally well, and Let's Go response has been... let's say mixed.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
LiquidSolid and benzopil you were damn close with your 'retail-only' predictions =)
Ha, I was expecting to be a couple percentage too high, not too low.

I doubt those games are selling any worse than they were before, the difference is a lot of big games have come out recently and they're selling a lot better. I think a lot of people forget that during slow weeks games might only have to sell a thousand units to get into the top 15, whereas in bigger weeks they might have to sell five times that number.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
Sony did pick almost all the 'right' deals...COD, Destiny, RDR2, all fighting games...star wars battlefront 2 could've been huge as well if not due to EA's self-fuckery.

You forgot FIFA, likely their biggest get for the UK market. Its fair to say RDR2 bundles are doing well for Sony https://www.game.co.uk/en/hardware/...?cm_mn=TopNav-_-PlayStation4-_-Main-Consoles/

Forza Motorsport from 27 to 11 because of that FH4/FM7/RDR2 X bundle.

I picked up the X1X + RD2 Limited Edition, FH4 and FM7 for £399.99 last week, loads of heat on Hotukdeals.com. I wonder how many people are like me and have a FM7 code they do not want. The X1X will be my multiplat console till the end of this gen.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

The definition of winning is going to need redefining.

Do units count or revenue or services...

The X has definitely shown that there is a considerable market for a high end console. Whilst its never going to sell the same units as the S - the latest NPD shows it isn't perhaps quite as niche as many tried to say it was. I think it will get a price cut at X018 and likely have a higher sales trajectory still. It won't outsell the S but I think it'll come close.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Dont worry they will come back after holidays, same thing happenned last year

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Is it wild for me to think Spyro Re-Ignited could outsell Pokemon Let's Go in the opening week for the UK? Spyro has always been really popular in the UK, Crash did exceptionally well, and Let's Go response has been... let's say mixed.

You know that wouldn't even surprise me since we are talking about UK lol.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Seeing Soul Calibur VI lurking near the bottom of the charts so soon makes me sad, especially with the Xbox One version out of the top 40 altogether...

That Forza Motorsport 7 + Forza Horizon 4 + Red Dead Redemption 2 bundle did very well!

The Switch evergreens are doing okay actually.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is at 13, Breath of the Wild is at 28 and Super Mario Party is still in the top 10. I am curious to see how Pokémon Let's Go does, given its lukewarm reception.

The definition of winning is going to need redefining.

Do units count or revenue or services...

What if the Xbox One Two sells more than the PlayStation 5 in units, but the latter brings much more revenue? Would that change your definition of 'winning'?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Ik most of the shift I'm seeing is due moreso to numerous incredibly successful non-switch games, but I guess I would have expected them to fall a bit less than they have tho, same with Mario tennis and splatoon 2. How Pokémon and smash do is most important of course.. has been a bit underwhelming in terms of big releases for switch lately
Well...yeah you cant sell what doesnt exists xD
We have known the fall release schedule for quite a while - no big surprises so far.
The last big release was Super Mario Party and its been performing quite well worldwide.

Those games dont have alot in common....but Spyro being cheaper and multiplattform, works in its favor....after Crashs performance everything is possible.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
Playstation VR Worlds as an ever-present in the UK chart shows there is a market for VR. Is it even possible to buy this title at retail without buying the headset?

Sony should release a PS4 slim (in PS1 Grey) with Spyro and Crash for this Christmas it would do so well. They could even stick a Fortnite sticker on the box.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it'll happen. Kids buy Pokemon and they don't post on the internet. They'll eat that shit up. Spyro will only appeal to nostalgia driven folks. It will do well, but nowhere close to Pokemon.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Seeing Soul Calibur VI lurking near the bottom of the charts so soon makes me sad, especially with the Xbox One version out of the top 40 altogether...

That Forza Motorsport 7 + Forza Horizon 4 + Red Dead Redemption 2 bundle did very well!

The Switch evergreens are doing okay actually.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is at 13, Breath of the Wild is at 28 and Super Mario Party is still in the top 10. I am curious to see how Pokémon Let's Go does, given its lukewarm reception.

What if the Xbox One Two sells more than the PlayStation 5 in units, but the latter brings much more revenue? Would that change your definition of 'winning'?

I don't think there is "winning". Its far more complex now. Companies continuing to produce consoles and increase revenues is winning. Alongside investment in new services and features.

I don't understand the obsession with proclaiming a winner or whatever. If one company for example focusses on the traditional mass market and the other focussed on high end hardcore and had a services package to mop up the bottom end - its totally disruptive to the normal way of looking at the market. But ultimately options are good. And all three are winning right now, so that bodes very well for next gen.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well...yeah you cant sell what doesnt exists xD
We have known the fall release schedule for quite a while - no big surprises so far.
The last big release was Super Mario Party and its been performing quite well worldwide.

Those games dont have alot in common....but Spyro being cheaper and multiplattform, works in its favor....after Crashs performance everything is possible.

There is some commonality, they are both remakes of games popular in the Late 90's. Spyro 2 actually came out 1 month after Red and Blue did in the UK (October 5th 1999 for Red and Blue in the UK, November 5th 1999 for Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer) The first Spyro Game actually came out 3 days before the japanese version of Pokemon Yellow did.

It's funny to see Spyro Reignited launch around the same time Let's Go is, history repeats itself.

I don't think it'll happen. Kids buy Pokemon and they don't post on the internet. They'll eat that shit up. Spyro will only appeal to nostalgia driven folks. It will do well, but nowhere close to Pokemon.

Spyro is also going to sell to kids as well. It would be foolish to say that it won't espicially after seeing Crash dominate Summer Last Year (And do quite well this year with the releases to other platforms, it's still in 10th as of this moment).

Guess the question is which platform does the kids have, do they have their switches, or do they have their XB1 and PS4's?

I also wonder how that recently announced Spyro/Crash bundle will play into things.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
So can we assume from this that the PS4 centric marketing for Red Dead Redemption 2 did its job? That split is unexpected. Either thar or the Xbox consumer base aren't as into single player games, or buy more digital (though that still wouldn't necessarily explain the split).

If the digital/physical ratio is higher on Xbox than on PS (which I assume to be the case), it's a pretty good explanation for the reported split.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had absolutely no idea that Spyro was coming to the xbox one as well. Is this another Sony marketing exclusive? If so it's been very effective.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Worldwide you'll be looking at a good 75-25 split fir RDR2 on PS4 given the European and Asian markets. That's getting on for the kind of split you see for Japanese titles. I think it being a single-player 'cinematic' game helps.

Playstation VR Worlds as an ever-present in the UK chart shows there is a market for VR. Is it even possible to buy this title at retail without buying the headset?

Sony should release a PS4 slim (in PS1 Grey) with Spyro and Crash for this Christmas it would do so well. They could even stick a Fortnite sticker on the box.
PSVR is quietly building up a nice following. It will no doubt have great deals over the holiday period which will give it a great boost.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
There is some commonality, they are both remakes of games popular in the Late 90's. Spyro 2 actually came out 1 month after Red and Blue did in the UK (October 5th 1999 for Red and Blue in the UK, November 5th 1999 for Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer) The first Spyro Game actually came out 3 days before the japanese version of Pokemon Yellow did.

It's funny to see Spyro Reignited launch around the same time Let's Go is, history repeats itself.
Thats def. a way to look at both of these releases heh.
And it will be HUGE since there's a big casual/go players that they can tap. I think a lot of veterans are gonna get it just because it's Pokemon.
I think it will be huge as an everygreen title because it will be the to go Pokemon console game for the broader casual audience as you said. I dont expect massive first week sales though, we will have to wait for next years Pokemon game to get those.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
That's an impressive sales split for PlayStation considering the deals MS are throwing around right now.

Those deals are insane at the moment.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
If the digital/physical ratio is higher on Xbox than on PS (which I assume to be the case), it's a pretty good explanation for the reported split.

Even if that were still true, and we don't have a lot of data on it, digital sales on PS could still be higher just because of the difference in the size of the userbase combined with the effect of the marketing.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Due to the new releases those evergreens could still be selling the same as when they were charting.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
The difference in digital adoption is nowhere even remotely large enough to "explain" that kind of retail split. Of all the factors that would've gone into creating that split, I'd put that somewhere near the bottom.

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.