• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could say yes. I sell my games after I beat them. My Nintendo games usually go for $40, but my PS4 stuff has almost no resale value cause people can buy new copies for $20.

Plus I feel ok when I pay full price for Nintendo games at launch, cause I know their titles almost never go on sale.

On PS4, I rarely buy games at launch cause I know if I wait two months, prices will have collapsed to $40 or less.
very this

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
At the same time retailers won't only slash prices once they get the green light from a publishers. They will often drop prices on their own accord or bundle it with other hardware to get rid of their stock.
I don't know how it works in other areas like you mention, but most retailers don't just go out and buy 1000s of copies of games upfront, they're on credit or consignment for a price from the publisher, so any excess stock ends up either having its priced slashed by the publisher to it can be sold, or the games go back. Unless its a retailer who for whatever reason just pays full price upfront for X amount of stock, they alone don't just decide to slash the price of a game

Its like at some point every year the price of Fifa at retail just drops about £15, retailers haven't just gone out and bought a load of new stock at a cheaper price, EA has told them the copies they still have on the shelf can be sold at a lower price as they're charging the retailer less

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
just ordered Yoshi thanks to good WoM... not really in a rush to play but figured it won't be on sale for a long time anyway..

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
7SOi6LN.png

Italy:
Week 13, 2019 - Individual Formats Retail + Digital (Units)

1. PS4 Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
2. PS4 FIFA 19
3. NSW Yoshi's Crafted World
4. PS4 Grand Theft Auto V
5. PS4 Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered
6. NSW Minecraft Switch Edition
7. PS4 Minecraft Playstation 4 Edition
8. PS4 Tom Clancy's The Division 2
9. NSW New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
10. PS4 Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal, but I am somewhat interested in Sekiro but have no intention of buying it any time soon because I know I'll probably be able to get it for $20 or less by the end of the year. I am similarly only somewhat interested in Yoshi, but I bought that day 1 at $60 because I know it's not coming down any time soon and didn't see a point in waiting. I have different expectations for different platforms and don't really begrudge either system as I rarely ever sell games in general (I like to collect Nintendo games physically and prefer to get Xbox games digitally now).
Right, "somewhat interested".

I am talking about my most anticipated game of the year.

Oct 25, 2017
First off not all retailers are managed the same way, there are differences between markets(JPN;US;EU) where Nintendo operates they dont have the same kind of pull in every market. We would see more disagreements ala Amazon and Nintendo if Nintendo forced them to maintain prices while they couldn't get rid of stock.

At the same time retailers won't only slash prices once they get the green light from a publishers. They will often drop prices on their own accord or bundle it with other hardware to get rid of their stock.

No publisher not even Nintendo has the power to dictate all the prices from start to finish the way we see it on Switch - its only possible because its also beneficial to retailers and the numbers prove them right. They usually dont have these games on sale because there is no need to lower the prices - that customer is used to drop 50/60 bucks for every first party game, why mess with a system that works for both parties ? It also results in retailers being more willing to stock more first party games and increase their presence on the shelves.

Software is where retailers make their money and they are welling to sell for a lower price if that's what it takes to get rid of stock or promote other related goods. They don't 1:1 execute whatever the publisher wants to see if it clashes with their own goals.

WiiU games still being priced quite high is because retailers still think they can sell them for that price....not because they are waiting for Nintendo to finally let them drop the prices.

I mean your answered you own question already.
You wrote that you were looking forward to Sekiro, its your most anticipated title , you bought it Day 1 - and most importantly it delivered and met you expectations.

There is no guarantee for the last part - it might have not been the game you were hoping for, Sekiro is a GotY candidate so a easy example to make. But there were probably alot of people that felt the same about Fallout 76, Anthem or Jump World in terms of anticipation and were let down.

Yeah...you shouldn't be getting burned ....but it happens for whatever reasons.
I would say that comes down to the person in that scenario than. That is just a lack of restraint and responsibility.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
We also got PSN sales for March.I wonder how much longer will EA allow Bioware to support Anthem after sales completely collapsed.

No clue. I have had my fill of the game and feel like it will take them at least a year to get the game to a state where it will become must play.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
M.Video-Eldorado Group 2018 results (the largest Russian consumer electronic retail chain) → https://dtf.ru/gameindustry/46015-m...oda-naibolshim-sprosom-polzuetsya-seriya-fifa

• software – 2.2 million copies sold (↑ 5%)
  • PS4 SW - 70% of all volume
  • PS4 software sales up 30%, Switch x2.5, Xbox up 16%
  • sales of boxed games, video game console – 2.1 million copies, PC is the rest

Best-selling games in 2018:

PS4
  1. FIFA 18
  2. Spider-Man
  3. God of War
  4. Detroit: Become Human
  5. FIFA 19
NSW
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
XONE
  1. FIFA 18
  2. FIFA 19
  3. GTA V
  4. UFC 3
  5. Mortal Kombat XL
PC
  1. GTA V
  2. The Sims 4: Standard Edition
  3. Hitman: The Complete First Season
  4. Mafia 3
  5. Syberia 3

HW – 640k video game consoles were sold in 2018 (not sure if it's just for M.Video-Eldorado or for the whole market)

Last edited:

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
M.Video-Eldorado Group 2018 results (the largest Russian consumer electronic retail chain) → https://dtf.ru/gameindustry/46015-m...oda-naibolshim-sprosom-polzuetsya-seriya-fifa

PS4
  1. FIFA 18
  2. Spider-Man
  3. God of War
  4. Detroit: Become Human
  5. FIFA 19
NSW
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
XONE
  1. FIFA 18
  2. FIFA 19
  3. GTA V
  4. UFC 3
  5. Mortal Kombat XL
PC
  1. GTA V
  2. The Sims 4: Standard Edition
  3. Hitman: The Complete First Season
  4. Mafia 3
  5. Syberia 3

HW – 640k video game consoles were sold in 2018 (not sure if it's just for M.Video-Eldorado or for the whole market)
Article says report is for whole market.
But growth of market, +5%, does not match with growth of each platform.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Last edited:

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
Actually, software sales for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 dropped more than 40%. That makes overall market to be "only" +13% YoY.
Hardware: PS4 represents 60% of total sales, while Xbox One is second and Switch sales grew almost 100% YoY.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Holy shit. Anthem just fell off completely. It went from 15 > 31 > past 40 in the matter of 2 weeks.

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Because people dont have unlimited budget and time ?
No matter how much i want a game - if i know it will be half price a couple weeks later im not getting it Day 1. There is enough other stuff to play or things to invest in nowadays.
For those who buy games at day 1 and are willing to put money down for that, i dont think the budget is really that big of an issue in the regards that they might be scared of feeling burned. I mean, e.g $60 is still $60 spent even if people end up liking the game or not, and people were willing to pay that amount in the first place. Otherwise i think they would probably just wait for the game to be cheaper to begin with. And if people buy a game at day 1, they probably know quite fast if they like it or not, and can sell it quickly before the price of a new copy goes down noticeably. How do you mean with time by the way?

But like you mention, theres no right or wrong answer in this case, so i agree with that. I also get that it can suck a bit if a game falls much in price only a few weeks after they buy it, but i dont think its too much need to worry about that since they were willing to pay the asking price to begin with. But i think the most important thing is that people feel that they get their money worth from a game :)

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Part of my new year's resolution was to play more of my backlog and impulse buy less games, and keeping a log of all the games I buy, it really made me realize that Nintendo games are the only ones I pay full price for. Before I would have just grabbed Yoshi without even thinking about it, but now I'm really having to weigh the value of buying a 5 hour platformer for $60 that, while I'm sure I'll enjoy it, is probably not going to be a game I'm constantly replaying and deep diving into.

After the disaster that was the MAR10 sale, I understand just how hungry people are for discounted first party Nintendo titles; I already had NSMBU + NSLU for Wii U so the Switch version had no real value for me at full price, but it suddenly dropped to $40 and I made sure to grab it at midnight; I couldn't possibly anticipate though how quickly stores ran out of the deal because people were practically tramping over each other to get Mario on the (relatively) cheap.

Especially with these dry spells of first party software in H1, I really can't see Yoshi's price dropping anytime soon. It's too bad because it looks like a cute and fun game, but I'm trying to be more conscious of my spending and adding to my backlog now. Even a 20 dollar drop would probably get me to snag it; Resident Evil 2 went on sale for that and I got it immediately and I'm having a blast with it, but it wasn't a day 1 buy for me and I'm glad I waited.

Last edited:

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
elumVdB.png

Spain:
March 2019 - Individual Formats Retail (Units)
25/02 - 31/03

01 (NE) SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE (PS4)
02 (NE) DEVIL MAY CRY 5 (PS4)
03 (NE) TOM CLANCY'S THE DIVISION 2 (PS4)

04 (06) FIFA 19 (PS4)
05 (04) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (PS4)
06 (03) RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 (PS4)
07 (NE) YOSHI'S CRAFTED WORLD (SWITCH)
08 (RE) ASSASSIN'S CREED ODYSSEY (PS4)
09 (RE) MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (SWITCH)
10 (RE) SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE (SWITCH)

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So PS4 picked up 1.54 million out of 2.2 million copies sold in the Russia?

oh-shit-gif-13.gif

That is fucking insane?

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So PS4 picked up 1.54 million out of 2.2 Million copies sold?

oh-shit-gif-13.gif

That is fucking insane?

Side note: I had a debate with another gamer about PS4 picking up a really high percentage of games sold in the UK. He tried to tell me that it was only in certain instances. I gotta go find that and tag him so we don't have any ambiguity going forward.
I'm a bit sick, so maybe I'm misinterpreting, but the numbers you quoted are Russian market numbers, right? Why does this settle the debate you had with the other person?

Feb 26, 2018
So PS4 picked up 1.54 million out of 2.2 million copies sold in the UK?

oh-shit-gif-13.gif

That is fucking insane?

Side note: I had a debate with another gamer about PS4 picking up a really high percentage of games sold in the UK. He tried to tell me that it was only in certain instances. I gotta go find that and tag him so we don't have any ambiguity going forward.

Edit. It appears said user is no longer with us...
Its Russian retail market mate

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So PS4 picked up 1.54 million out of 2.2 million copies sold in the UK?

oh-shit-gif-13.gif

That is fucking insane?

Edit. It appears said user is no longer with us...

Dude...

At least you didn't actually tag said gamer I guess.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's only one retail chain - even tho is the biggest one in Russia. But I dont think numbers will change much for the entire market
PS is dominating here

Completely off topic but those Russian players on every FPS I've played this gen are incredible. Excuse the pun but Russians play no games when it comes to online FPS' lol

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Actually, software sales for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 dropped more than 40%. That makes overall market to be "only" +13% YoY.
Hardware: PS4 represents 60% of total sales, while Xbox One is second and Switch sales grew almost 100% YoY.
Xbox One still second place, while Switch sales grew nearly 100% is something.
So Xbox One marketshare is >20% (assuming no meaningful last gen sales anymore)