Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/amyklobuchar/status/1554606649050005504?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1554606649050005504%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

View: https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1554611282803834880
WASHINGTON -- After a series of delays and emotional protests, the Senate on Tuesday night approved a bill that will help veterans exposed to toxic burn pits.

The Senate began voting on the PACT Act around 5 p.m., with votes on three Republican amendments before a vote on final passage of the bill. Republicans agreed to the deal.

"I believe it will pass and pass this evening," Schumer said during his weekly press conference, predicting the outcome.

A group of Democrats were set to hold a press conference later Tuesday night following the vote.

The PACT Act passed the Senate earlier this year. But after a quick fix in the House required the bill to be voted on again, 26 Republican senators changed their votes and blocked swift passage of the act last week -- sparking outrage among Democrats and veterans groups.

Comedian and activist Jon Stewart has become the face of this legislation, joining veterans in protest outside the Capitol for the last several days. He's harshly criticized Republicans -- who in turn cited concerns about Democratic spending maneuvers -- and demanded action from lawmakers.

"America's heroes who fought in our wars outside sweating their a---- off with oxygen, battling all kinds of ailments" while Republican senators were sitting "in the air conditioning walled off from any of it," Stewart said during a press conference in front of the Capitol building on Thursday. "They don't have to hear it, they don't have to see it. They don't have to understand that these are human beings."

Stewart was in the chamber Tuesday night for the vote, along with about 50-75 vets and supporters of the bill.
abc7chicago.com

PACT Act: Senate passes health care for veterans exposed to toxic burn pits amid protests

After a series of delays and emotional protests, the Senate on Tuesday night approved a bill that will help veterans exposed to toxic burn pits.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans knew they were getting pummeled for their bullshit on this.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I hate the Senate as an institution, look at everything being done after years of Mitch. Those Georgia Senators were clutch.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
In the end Ted Cruz is the biggest loser here.

Fistbump at denying help to vets with cancer.

Beto and others in Texas need to plaster that shit everywhere.

Oct 25, 2017
How were GOP against this. This was a layup for their America-first base. How could they think they could vote no on this and not get shit on?

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Make no mistake, this is great, but I find it amusing that it's much easier for free veteran healthcare to pass in Congress, yet even a public option for all is an impossible task.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Did they put it up for vote a second time or something? I thought they just voted against it? Actually a third time considering we knew a bunch of Republicans voted against the second time as opposed to the first time?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
What were the 3 Republican amendments?
"What I am trying to limit is the extent that they could use a budget gimmick to reclassify spending and go on an unrelated spending binge."

Republicans attempted to close this perceived budget loophole during a Tuesday night vote, but the amendment failed to pass.

Two other amendments from Sens. Rand Paul and Marsha Blackburn also failed to pass. Paul's amendment aimed to reduce aid to other countries besides Israel over the next 10 years to offset some of the bill's costs, while Blackburn's amendment proposed allowing toxic-exposed veterans to go directly into community care.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
"What I am trying to limit is the extent that they could use a budget gimmick to reclassify spending and go on an unrelated spending binge."

Republicans attempted to close this perceived budget loophole during a Tuesday night vote, but the amendment failed to pass.

Two other amendments from Sens. Rand Paul and Marsha Blackburn also failed to pass. Paul's amendment aimed to reduce aid to other countries besides Israel over the next 10 years to offset some of the bill's costs, while Blackburn's amendment proposed allowing toxic-exposed veterans to go directly into community care.

Oh i see. I must have misread and I assumed 3 Republican amendments passed. I assumed they would have been nothing burgers designed to make it appear that they "fixed" the bill before sending it to Biden. But basically, they just accepted the same bill they approved in the first place.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
How were GOP against this. This was a layup for their America-first base. How could they think they could vote no on this and not get shit on?

Revenge for Manchin agreeing to sign onto Schumer's bill on taxes, healthcare and the climate. The GOP didn't think anyone would notice, but it ended up biting them in the ass.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Revenge for Manchin agreeing to sign onto Schumer's bill on taxes, healthcare and the climate. The GOP didn't think anyone would notice, but it ended up biting them in the ass.
Dems need to make sure it bites them in the ass. It hasn't bitten them yet. Make it hurt at the polls. Remind voters they don't *actually care* about these people beyond what they can use and abuse them for as weapons.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Dems really need to follow this model but it just never gets the same attention from the media.

Media rarely shames republicans. What Rand Paul said was disgusting.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Shaming the shameless worked this time? Well then.
The problem is the Republicans claim to pride themselves on the love of vets, them telling vets to fuck off broke the illusion for many of their voters at least temporarily.

They had gotten so used to just doing whatever they want with no reprecussions they got carried away and showed their hand.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Republicans were getting SLAMMED over this. In a lot of the military and veteran communities I browse there were a TON of people angry about it and every time someone piped up with the Fox News lies about "$400 Billion in Slush Fund Pork!" it got shot down quickly by far more people than I would have expected. These communities have a lot of rightwing chuds in them who don't get called out enough for their bullshit but a lot of people were informed about what was going on here and saw through the right's lies.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
So, absolutely nothing in the bill was changed from last time, right? Stewart literally guilted GOP assholes into it?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Great job by senate dems to get this passed and good work by Jon Stewart to use his celebrity status for good on this.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I knew Paul would vote against it, same with Shelby, Lee, Tillis and Toomey. Tuberville probably couldn't read it because it wasn't a football playbook.

But Romney? Shame.

Surprised about Tillis and Romney they both usually go along with something that is going to pass, especially with VA funding involved. Romney and Tillis both voted for Biden infrastructure bill as well, so it's surprising especially when what… 36 other republicans went along with it.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
itll always be crazy to me that this is even an issue in a military obsessed country like the US. The least you can do is take care of them