• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Watch the video?

I mean, it is exactly that. Yeah it's part of a website where celebrities get paid to say random things, but if you're literally so hard up that you're reading what's clearly a straight up ad for a product and not doing even a little bit of research it says it all right there.
Dude's a boomer. I'll leave it at that.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
The commercial didn't show the screen side even once lol. Are we just getting a slab of gold painted plastic and pleather with a polaroid taped to it?

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
"The biological elder brother of Pablo Escobar. Co-Founder, Former accountant and chief of assassinations of the MedellĂ­n Cartel."

MKBHD exposed their scam...how worried should he be now?

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Why was unboxtherapy hyping this up instead of denouncing it

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My first question before clicking on this thread was "how the hell is a phone possibly NSFW?!", but then I saw it was the ad that was the NSFW part.

That phone looks huge, like tablet-sized.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
No I really don't

Saw mrwhostheboss and mkbhd'x videos and the latter's was the only one who said stay away and also denounced the whole thing

Marques said they were going to send him one for free if he made a video about it. He flat out refused and purchased one, but put 2 and 2 together. They probably stipulate further that you talk glowingly about it.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
So rather than making a new thread I opted to bump this old one, since this post is also basically old news. I didn't notice this until now, but last month unboxtherapy did a followup video which seems like damage controlling for his original.

instead of owning up to hyping the phone, he makes it sound like it's the viewer's fault for not knowing to not take the original video seriously. at least, that is what I got from the video.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
So rather than making a new thread I opted to bump this old one, since this post is also basically old news. I didn't notice this until now, but last month unboxtherapy did a followup video which seems like damage controlling for his original.

instead of owning up to hyping the phone, he makes it sound like it's the viewer's fault for not knowing to not take the original video seriously. at least, that is what I got from the video.

Yeah this was a really lame attempt at damage control. He should have just deleted the old video and said it was a mistake and then moved on. All this does is give the scam more publicity. There was pretty much zero indication in the original video that this was an obvious scam, whereas Marques emphatically called it out for what it was.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this was a really lame attempt at damage control. He should have just deleted the old video and said it was a mistake and then moved on. All this does is give the scam more publicity. There was pretty much zero indication in the original video that this was an obvious scam, whereas Marques emphatically called it out for what it was.
Deleting it would have taken away evidence of showing his true colors. What he could have done instead of making a 14 minute video would be just a simple followup saying the plan and tone of the original video just went the wrong way. But he probably didn't learn anything because even though the comments are scathing, the likes still outweigh the dislikes.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

This dude really doesn't deserve clicks or viewership. I get irrationally peeved just looking at the thumbnails and the YT channel name ughh
He gives no good info. It's always at-a-glance bullshit. Like a 10yr old's weblog pretending to understand matters at hand.

people should just send in empty boxes and he reviews that lol

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018

Regardless of this dude's pretty damm annoying.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Is it wrong that when I read Pablo Escobar's name even knowing it's about his brother, I expected the phone to look like a hippo?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

I never trust Unboxtherapy, find him to be clickbait, his thumbnails are very cringe worthy, and his videos are shallow compared to all the other tech YouTubers. He's always seemed like an uncritical hype man, so this is not too surprising that he'd be a lapdog for Escobar.
MKBHD brought up Olof Gustafsson (Escobar Inc) Twitter and Unboxtherapy is the only video retweeted by him...not a good look.

The fact that he won't apologise for a scam and shifts the blame to his audience should tell you everything about him, he doesn't care about his audience, he cares about 🤑.

Last edited:

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
This dude really doesn't deserve clicks or viewership. I get irrationally peeved just looking at the thumbnails and the YT channel name ughh
He gives no good info. It's always at-a-glance bullshit. Like a 10yr old's weblog pretending to understand matters at hand.

people should just send in empty boxes and he reviews that lol
Before this whole Escobar fiasco I didn't really care, but now I feel the same way about the bolded. I was indifferent about the guy and now knowing how he is I won't support him.
Regardless of this dude's pretty damm annoying.
Previously he came off as inoffensive to me, but I can definitely see how he was annoying.
Is it wrong that when I read Pablo Escobar's name even knowing it's about his brother, I expected the phone to look like a hippo?

I went back and watched that video because you posted it. Killing the hippos is very unpopular.
I never trust Unboxtherapy, find him to be clickbait, his thumbnails are very cringe worthy, and his videos are shallow compared to all the other tech YouTubers. He's always seemed like an uncritical hype man, so this is not too surprising that he'd be a lapdog for Escobar.
MKBHD brought up Olof Gustafsson (Escobar Inc) Twitter and Unboxtherapy is the only video retweeted by him...not a good look.

The fact that he won't apologise for a scam and shifts the blame to his audience should tell you everything about him, he doesn't care about his audience, he cares about 🤑.
Yep, I believe MKBHD was the only one who denounced the product. Even mrwhostheboss didn't really denounce it.