• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Edit: Echo is officially revealed as 32nd hero:

7 months after Sigma release, finally we have something.
We can probably expect release on PTR tomorrow or later this week.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Makes sense, Summer Games also started early last year (& without warning) since we were also getting Sigma.

And yeah, my money's on Echo.

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I thought we were not getting another hero until Overwatch 2, so that's a cool surprise.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any solid speculation on her method of healing? We have the "shoot them with darts" healer, the "spray piss on them" healer, the "stay close to my stick" healer, the "stay in my AoE circle" healer, the "mace to the face" healer, and the "hold my balls" healer. Wonder what else they could do.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't there some rumors about the 19th?
But yeah, it has been a LONG time since last time, I'm excited.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
It only took forever. Blizzard's handling of the OW to OW2 situation has been so bad

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if, when they ever ad Mauga, they give him a moniker/nickname so he's less attractive to a MAGA crowd. I know that's a crazy thing to wonder but still

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any solid speculation on her method of healing? We have the "shoot them with darts" healer, the "spray piss on them" healer, the "stay close to my stick" healer, the "stay in my AoE circle" healer, the "mace to the face" healer, and the "hold my balls" healer. Wonder what else they could do.

I remember something about a hero sliming the floor to create healing/damage areas but that was over a year ago, before Torb's rework and when the game wasn't so overloaded with shit on the screen.

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
She might not be the typical "healer", there is a possibility that she will be support hero that will work similar to OG Symmetra. I expect her to drop health packs or some kind of shield packs from the air, because of her flying ability.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale

Going off the OW2 cinematic she doesn't look like a support, I know its not much but this was the early concept of Echo, Makes me wonder if she'll be a dive tank.

Iris.jpg

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Could make her an Offensive support or something. Link up with a teammate and a portion of the damage dealt to enemies is turned into healing for the linked teammate

You want dps players to get away from dps, make a dps healer where just doing damage will heal your team lol

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Just to add some more context, Assuming Mina Liao is the same Liao this is talking about. We don't have a lot of information on her. This is somewhat speculation and things could have changed.

- Liao was one of the 6 founding members of Overwatch along with Solider, Reaper, Reinhardt, Ana, Torbjorn
- Artwork from the canceled First Strike graphic novel with presumably her on the cover
- Chu said she is still important to the story in January

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
It's like Blizz realized you can't completely stagnate a game until its sequel. I don't think I've ever lost interest in a game I played as regularly as quickly as Overwatch.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
It's like Blizz realized you can't completely stagnate a game until its sequel. I don't think I've ever lost interest in a game I played as regularly as quickly as Overwatch.
same holy shit did it die fast for me.

dont even know if im ineterested in OW2 at this point tbh. In it to see and play new characters but out for everything else lol

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think they said from the get-go that we'd get at least one more new hero before Overwatch 2.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I think they said from the get-go that we'd get at least one more new hero before Overwatch 2.

The pace of release for new characters went 3-4 months to the day, then they just said "fuck the player-base, they can get new characters in the sequel, whenever that is." Handling of Overwatch 2 and Overwatch really turned me off.

Oct 25, 2017
Athena isn't Echo, right? I didn't think the Ashe/Mcree short properly explained that fact, but that's me.

It's the Mass Effect effect.

(Edie).

Oh, I always treated 'every match' as a sort of rashomon way of story-telling past events. Especially when a character says 'start over at the beginning' when they re-spawn. I know this is probably a bit hokey but I always liked thinking about it this way.

With Overwatch 2 seemingly re-contextualising the events immediately after Winston's call to arms and having them all meet each other again (or for the first time) that obviously changes things considerably.

Has the game ever tried to explain the 'they have returned from death' thing?

EDIT: Yes, I'm gulity, I've been playing a lot of Hanzo recently so that's why I used his voice lines.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Athena isn't Echo, right? I didn't think the Ashe/Mcree short properly explained that fact, but that's me.

It's the Mass Effect effect.

(Edie).

Oh, I always treated 'every match' as a sort of rashomon way of story-telling past events. Especially when a character says 'start over at the beginning' when they re-spawn. I know this is probably a bit hokey but I always liked thinking about it this way.

With Overwatch 2 seemingly re-contextualising the events immediately after Winston's call to arms and having them all meet each other again (or for the first time) that obviously changes things considerably.

Has the game ever tried to explain the 'they have returned from death' thing?

EDIT: Yes, I'm gulity, I've been playing a lot of Hanzo recently so that's why I used his voice lines.

Athena is Overwatch's AI, Echo is something separate, There was confusion because early Echo concept had Athena's symbols but she was always separate. I don't think there is a physical representation of Athena

As for the death thing, the PvP element doesn't exist in the Overwatch world. They're essentially non-canon.

Oct 25, 2017
Athena is Overwatch's AI, Echo is something separate, There was confusion because early Echo concept had Athena's symbols but she was always separate. I don't think there is a physical representation of Athena

As for the death thing, the PvP element doesn't exist in the Overwatch world. They're essentially non-canon.

Cheers.

And yeah, I totally understand the PvP stuff. I never played it, but Call of Suarez I think had that cool thing when you die, the character actually references it.

'Let me back up, that's not how the story goes' etc.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Please make her ult something like this:

Flies to teammates instantly and drops and AOE shield when she lands.

It would be amazing. Excited nonetheless, love the Support cast.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
same holy shit did it die fast for me.

dont even know if im ineterested in OW2 at this point tbh. In it to see and play new characters but out for everything else lol

At this point, you don't need to be and Blizzard's basically in a holding with OW until the OW2 marketing campaign. That's when they expect to hook you and frankly, I think OW will have a huge renaissance with its sequel.