• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While this is about her quitting YouTube, it is mostly about her dealing with her mental health. While I didn't watch her content I just felt like this video was really powerful and her sharing her experience might possible help others. I hope everything works out for her.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like she has already been done with it for a long time. I didn't realize she had such a big following.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
she hasn't really made anything for long periods of time, decided to sort of "soft relaunch" the channel then didn't do much after a few videos.

i found out she had a channel like way late in the game, so didnt really see "current" content. though, it was mostly the bloggy sort of stuff and im not exactly into that sort of content :🤷:

will have to watch the video later.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
is she quitting the whole e-celeb thing, or just not using that platform anymore?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Sounds like she's making the right move, I hope this is cathartic for her. I can't imagine how stressful being a YouTuber at that level must be. And yeah, accepting you can get mental health help from medication isn't easy.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, super hard to watch :/ the old videos are really strong.

Hope she find her peace.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Haven't watched her stuff before, only knew about her from the memes, but this was a good video. Hope she gets better.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Important video. Like with the recent Ariana Grande message it's so important young people understand mental health problems aren't a sign of weakness or something to be ashamed of.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
User Banned (5 Days): Inappropriate Commentary Resulting in a Derail
Ugh. I clicked on the link and suddenly my "up next" is populated by a video with a Pepe meme and some tripe from a Jordan Peterson fan. I never see this stuff normally. I really quickly decided I don't want to watch the video.

It's nearly half an hour long anyway. What happened to blog posts? Who has 30 minutes to spend on a single talking head stumbling and umming through an unscripted talk? Just give me the words.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. I clicked on the link and suddenly my "up next" is populated by a video with a Pepe meme and some tripe from a Jordan Peterson fan. I never see this stuff normally. I really quickly decided I don't want to watch the video.

It's nearly half an hour long anyway. What happened to blog posts? Who has 30 minutes to spend on a single talking head stumbling and umming through an unscripted talk? Just give me the words.

Thanks for shitting up the thread I guess?

Anyway, watched the vid. Important message and a really interesting view into how different the public and private personas of creators can be. Maintaining a public face like that must be exhausting.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I saw this pop up a bit earlier. At first I was confused because she'd been gone for around a year so I'd assumed she'd already quit. The stuff about her dealing with depression and struggling to convince herself that she needed help hit pretty close to home and I'm glad she got the help she needed.

I mean I'm sure she enjoys being attached to a rather negative meme
She started the meme herself (one of the few to do so) and continued it with her YouTube series so I don't think that was the whole problem.

Sometimes you wonder what became of all these old meme people. I know Boxxy was hosting on a nature channel for a while then became a voice actress for a Disney show or something. Tay Zonday (Chocolate Rain) kept releasing music. Smosh (that pokemon karaoke video) is some kind of super YouTube empire.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She seems like a genuinely good and positive person, despite her struggles. Rare for a YouTuber.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
man. bringing up bad memories. I've been there...
she seems like a really friendly and nice person, and I wish her the best going forward. I think she made the right choice - doing the whole youtube thing when you're not feeling it, and at such a large scale too, seems dreadful. pure pressure and anxiety. good on her

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
And yeah, accepting you can get mental health help from medication isn't easy.
Which is a damn shame.

You hear all sorts of stuff, "its not natural", people afraid they'll just get turned into a zombie, etc.

Psychiatric medicine isn't always perfect but it can save lives sometimes, it certainly did mine.

OP
OP
Woolley

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yea, why can't people talk about their dealing with depression be contained in a simple 2 min video?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
People that care. It's clear from the other thread you have trouble seeing past yourself when it comes to wider issues and things people face.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I remember some of her videos and her trying to turn her 15 minutes of fame into giving to charities and stuff. Good person, hope she'll be alright.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Those unreleased videos are pretty tough to watch

The person of the channel is openly discussing their mental health and explaining why she is ending the channel.

Pretty fucking braindead response from you

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Yea, why can't people talk about their dealing with depression be contained in a simple 2 min video?

I didn't get to the point where she discussed anything. I'm not complaining about the content, but this style of unrehearsed, unscripted video is a nightmare. It's not the person either. It's the format. How did this stupid fashion start?

OP
OP
Woolley

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get to the point where she discussed anything. I'm not complaining about the content, but this style of unrehearsed, unscripted video is a nightmare. It's not the person either. It's the format. How did this stupid fashion start?
But it's not just unscripted talking. She provides videos from her personal video diary showing her highs and her crashes and her reluctance to get the help she needs. It's not one long speech.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god stop letting LL Decitrig derail every fucking thread on the site. Just put them on ignore.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Those unreleased videos are pretty tough to watch

The person of the channel is openly discussing their mental health and explaining why she is ending the channel.

Pretty fucking braindead response from you

Braindead? There are valid points of discussion there. If they was responding directly to OAG I'm sure their tone would be different.

Oh my god stop letting LL Decitrig derail every fucking thread on the site. Just put them on ignore.

Oh, I didn't know this was typical behavior. Nevermind, then.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Wish her the best.

I know she donated a lot, she seems like a genuinely good person.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
But it's not just unscripted talking. She provides videos from her personal video diary showing her highs and her crashes and her reluctance to get the help she needs. It's not one long speech.

Great. Do you know what? I don't know this because I didn't get beyond the unscripted, unrehearsed umms and ahs in the beginning. I'm beginning to sound like an old man (which I literally am) yelling at a cloud (which it is, in the modern tech jargon sense). So there's that. I've made Simpsons meme status.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Great. Do you know what? I don't know this because I didn't get beyond the unscripted, unrehearsed umms and ahs in the beginning. I'm beginning to sound like an old man (which I literally am) yelling at a cloud (which it is, in the modern tech jargon sense). So there's that. I've made Simpsons meme status.
This is really inappropriate behavior in a thread about a person who's talking about their mental health.

Oct 25, 2017

Congratulations on being super insensitive to an actual issue because you can't get beyond the format, just like every other fucking boomer.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You're a self-absorbed 60+yo that likes to romanticize sex with teenagers, dismiss concerns of abuse and talk about how beautiful young bodies are. Why you think anyone gives a fuck about your inability to care for the issues of others is beyond me, because it's been more than apparent for awhile.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
She is genuinely such a great person. Like super humble, witty and (like many others have pointed out) donated to a ton of charities. It is important to point out that she isn't saying that her internet celebrity caused her depression. She was already struggling with it and the toxicity of the internet doesn't help. I've followed her for a while and I think one of the things that really sucked the joy out of making videos was that she couldn't do anything online without getting all of these hyper sexual comments.

She often spoke on her videos about this and how disappointing it was to spend time making something for an audience and without fail she would have to spend time curating her comments because everyone kept talking about her sexually.

Oct 30, 2017
Ah, so you're choosing to shit up a thread by complaining about something you didn't actually watch. You are an old man...annoying others with unneeded and misinformed criticisms.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I feel really, really bad for her. This is a really serious issue, I've met a few people with severe depression and it's something not to be joked about or taken lightly. Do seek help if you think or believe you need help.