Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Dragonball Super really needs to time skip, retire Goku and Vegeta, and focus on the youth. Trunks, Goten, Pan, Bulla, Uub. Let's move away from God level powers for a bit.

I'll also reiterate what everyone else is saying. The new Super Saiyan forms are underwhelming compared to any of the previous ones.

tenor.gif

tumblr_oz2tw3VfP01sefdhio2_540.gif

I don't know who the artist responsible for these shots is, but more like this in the future please!
Getting rid of Goku and Vegeta and focusing on Goten and Trunks would be the single worst decision they could ever make.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
It really is terrible, even at its best which is towards the very end it's at best passable.
There is literally zero love and care put into the project as a whole, even GT for how bad it was for the vast majority of its run had some of that. I appreciate much more stuff like Dragon Ball Heroes.
It rubs me the wrong way the fact that it exists to be honest.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
They got my boy Krillin back into action, only to throw him out again almost right away. Screw it.

I also lost track of all the recolors. But hey, half a dozen of new blueprints for toys to sell.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
And I've already said its like comfort food to the fans so they don't care about quality as long as they get to see the usual.
Because the usual is fun and its what people want. If you want something other than Dragonball then there is plenty of non Dragonball related shows out there.

That's like going into John Wick 3 and then being surprised they didn't cutback on the shooting of guns. Of course they didn't. It's a John Wick movie. That's what they do.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Because the usual is fun and its what people want. If you want something other than Dragonball then there is plenty of non Dragonball related shows out there.

That's like going into John Wick 3 and then being surprised they didn't cutback on the shooting of guns. Of course they didn't. It's a John Wick movie. That's what they do.

And the issues it has are totally up for conversation even if fans are fine sticking their fingers in their ears.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
It's good.

DB Super movies, ToP and U6 vs U7 is good, Black is ok. Filler is crap and retelling of the first two movies is meh.

Better than anything GT and better than Buu saga. It's also a nice balance between DB and DBZ, it's more comedic like DB and less serious than DBZ. I love all the references to the previous series like actually trying to use the mafuba, destructo discs, kaio-ken, androids having unlimited energy, 17's shield, etc. Stuff that DBZ somehow forgot to reuse ever again.

The final fight of the series is so good.

Goku + 17 + Frieza vs Weakened Jiren.

Actual stuff happens, it's not just beams or people throwing punches in the air. Goku and Frieza syncing in a way that Goku and Vegeta never could. Jiren cutting Frieza's tail.

Last edited:

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
Super was great for me. The animation was rough at the start but it got better over time. The transformations, though they are mainly recolors, were pretty cool except I love the unique transformations of Z more especially SSJ3 which only showed up maybe 3 times throughout Super. The other main thing is that I wished is other Characters got some spotlight. If a threat showed up, Goku and Vegeta was the ones to take care of it. Gohan, Picollo and the others were put on the bench until the Tournament of Power and even then they didn't get much.

The Broly movie was one of the best movies of the series to me. The animations, the transformations, Broly and Gogeta becoming canon was great. I always acknowledge non canon Broly being strong but I hated his backstory and obsession with Goku. I love the new Broly. He has a personality and good backstory. So I can't wait to see where they go with him.

So I'm waiting for the inevitable return of the series.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
It's fun trashy pulp.

Literally doing nothing new and often trying to capitalize on the problematic aspects of the history of the series while retreading the same ground it's predecessors did in order to give a big boost to nostalgia.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The imagery and fights are really good. But the story has lost any weight because the characters lost any meaning unless their Goku.

Super is nothing but a power fantasy for Goku and Vegeta. There are no stakes, no one dies anymore, no one has their moment to stand alongside Goku or take his place without Goku getting a whole new transformation or the characters are blown out of the water power-wise. And the show super stagnant in terms of character designs.

I still enjoy it. But the show is pure junk food.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Super is the second best Dragonball anime after Dragonball proper. DBZ is just ruined by tons of needless filler and repetition, GT wasn't good to begin with, and Kai is kind of a mess.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad it never came back, they really started to find their groove with Goku Black and the Tournament of Power was freaking great. I'm sure we'll get more movies but getting a new episode every week is preferable.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why GT gets so much shit - and I have a feeling it's mainly because it wasn't Toriyama and fans can't get around that lol. I still think it's really good and IMO a better continuation of Z than Super was. All of the arcs to me were really good at rounding out the Dragonball series as a whole. Starts with a Dragonball throwback (Goku being a kid, looking for Dragon Balls and going on adventures etc.), then goes to an arc about the Sayains getting their come-uppance from a race they eradicated, then a final Red Ribbon Army attempt, then the last arc is just perfect to me - repercussions for using the Dragon Balls so many times etc.

Not to mention

-The characters were IMO better written and felt like true continuations to their Z counter-parts compared to Super
-Super Sayain 4 and Goku's transformation will always be way cooler than Super Sayain God and Blue and Ultra Instinct - all which felt more like random fan creations than Super Sayain 4 did - which IMO felt (again) like a good continuation of what happened in Z (coming full circle with the great ape transformation and embracing that power)
-Dragon Fist is a cool as fuck technique and is perfect for Goku to have
-Soundtrack was killer
-Animation style was better

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Most of its pretty fine I think. I really can't stand the Goku Black arc though. The buildup towards the end and finale are just awful to me.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Where to begin. Overall I like Super well enough, but it's my least favorite thus far.

-At first I thought bringing Frieza back was stupid, but I like what they did with his character. Golden Frieza is sick and having an neutral enemy of comparable power is interesting to me. I kinda hope they bring in Coola so we can have a parallel rivalry with Goku and Vegeta

-Goku Black is also a real neat character, but unfortunately ended up merging with Zamasu. That whole arc really kind of fell apart at the end for me.

-The new Galactic Patrol saga with Moro is probably the best stuff since Super began and it's rekindling my interest in getting invested into the plot. Finally some original ideas and they could take it anywhere.

-I do hope once Super comes back in anime form that it retains the artstyle of the new Broly movie. DBS Broly looks like an actual continuation from Z. The problem has never been with the animation, but that art style. The colors, the line-work, everything just looks off when compared to Z. Even GT, for all its flaws, looked more like DB and Z, than Super does with the rest of them. It stands out even more during flashbacks to moments from Z, where the art looks so much better than the present. I'm not expecting movie production values, but just an art style closer to old Z.

-Also hope we get a time skip at some point. Because the story takes place between the Buu Saga and the end of Z, I don't feel anything of real consequence will happen. I expect all the characters to survive whatever new threat comes their way and it becomes hard to care about what's happening. Everything feels static. Age the characters! Change their gi's! It's starting to feel like the Simpsons.

-I know people don't like filler and the "slow" parts of Z, but I think the pacing of Super is a little too fast. You don't get much buildup to cool moments and cool moments happen so frequently, they lose their impact. I forget that Vegeta even obtained a new form at the end the TOP because it felt like as soon as he got it, the next thing just happened.

-I love and respect Toriyama but I haven't been impressed with his new character designs. I hate the way the U7 Saiyans look and I swear they look like deviart art OC's. Hit looks cool, but Kale, Caulifla, and Cabba aren't cutting it. Other designs seem to range from marshmallow person to tall and pointy. Everyone looks so goofy.

I have more thoughts, but I don't want to write an essay on it right now. Super is now starting to realize its potential and I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with next.

I don't know why GT gets so much shit - and I have a feeling it's mainly because it wasn't Toriyama and fans can't get around that lol. I still think it's really good and IMO a better continuation of Z than Super was. All of the arcs to me were really good at rounding out the Dragonball series as a whole. Starts with a Dragonball throwback (Goku being a kid, looking for Dragon Balls and going on adventures etc.), then goes to an arc about the Sayains getting their come-uppance from a race they eradicated, then a final Red Ribbon Army attempt, then the last arc is just perfect to me - repercussions for using the Dragon Balls so many times etc.

Not to mention

-The characters were IMO better written and felt like true continuations to their Z counter-parts compared to Super
-Super Sayain 4 and Goku's transformation will always be way cooler than Super Sayain God and Blue and Ultra Instinct - all which felt more like random fan creations than Super Sayain 4 did - which IMO felt (again) like a good continuation of what happened in Z (coming full circle with the great ape transformation and embracing that power)
-Dragon Fist is a cool as fuck technique and is perfect for Goku to have
-Soundtrack was killer
-Animation style was better

I grew up watching GT (original dub) and I've always loved it. Even as a kid I recognized it had problems, but it didn't take away from so much of the good. SSJ4 is still the coolest looking form and I hope they bring it back in some way (Maybe Broly getting)

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Super is pretty good. It's way better than GT and is almost on par with Z, but most fans wont recognize this because Z is shielded by nostalgia.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty good. The ToP arc is probably the #2 arc behind the android arc for me.
Way more interesting than GT

Nov 17, 2017
This is actually probably one of my least favorite Dragon Ball things. l. When the fight choreography and animation is just one character throwing a flurry of fast punches and kicks while the other quickly blocks and/or dodges them. The characters also usually are yelling for every punch like "yayayayayayayaya". The frames always seem so choppy - like I can see the cycle of animation the characters are looping through but also it's just not interesting to watch. And they do it SO much.

tenor.gif

It's not a Super exclusive thing, it just bothers me haha

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Dragonball Super really needs to time skip, retire Goku and Vegeta, and focus on the youth. Trunks, Goten, Pan, Bulla, Uub. Let's move away from God level powers for a bit.

Dragonball is moslty built on hype. The only way Goten and Trunks could get focus as main stars would be if they were suddenly the ones getting power ups even above the god forms. Deescalation would crash the series.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's pretty bad compared to something like One Piece. It's about 2 already extremely overpowered characters becoming even more overpowered. And there's the god stuff, but even then there isn't much of an overarching story. Characters just fight, get stronger, repeat.

That being said I enjoyed it and don't really understand why they haven't even announced a new series yet.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
I like it a lot. The art is a bit disappointing for most of it but they dump time on it when it counts towards the end.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A LOT of it was, to me, unwatchable garbage. The Goku Black saga was a huge redemption point and the ToP finally had some interesting angles and an insane two last episodes.

I wasn't a fan, but it revived the IP and made a shitload of money but in the end its not what I like about Dragon Ball (and Ive been a fan since the early 90s)

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
The first 50 or so episodes are bad but I really enjoyed everything starting with Future Trunks 2.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody who says that SSJ4 is a "better power up" then the god forms (beyond just personal preference of one looking cooler then the other). At worst, they're neutral, but SSJ4 is really dumb while "God" powers have been hinted in the series already.. SSJ4 didn't really open the show up at all, it just looked neat.

TOP is amazing and some of the best shonen animation in a while. Huge amounts of budget with excellent fight choreography is exactly the environment that post-dragon ball Dragon Ball thrives in.

The first few arcs are legit the weakest in the entire series. Animation looks worse then the garlic jr filler arcs

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

I'll also reiterate what everyone else is saying. The new Super Saiyan forms are underwhelming compared to any of the previous ones.

tenor.gif

tumblr_oz2tw3VfP01sefdhio2_540.gif

I don't know who the artist responsible for these shots is, but more like this in the future please!

That artist is the one and only Yuya Takahashi, and if DBS Broly is any indication, we should be seeing a lot more of him (and the other great artists/animators who contributed to that film) in the future :)

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Encouraging stuff for the future is that they reworked the character models for the movie and are said to be bringing those into whatever the next series will be. Should be fun.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I loved DB Super, but I'd agree that it took a while to hit its stride. I wish they could redo the first 2 arcs with the better animation/art of the later arcs.
ToP arc is just amazing, top to bottom. Event he "prequel" filler where they do the exhibition of U7 vs the dog universe; seeing Buu fight against bad guys was great.

Oct 26, 2017
It's mediocre with only two good arcs.

Beerus arc was a limp noodle dragged out version of the movie.

Champa arc was okay. Hit and Cabba were the best things to come out of this tournament arc.

Future Trunks arc was good up until the final stretch where the time travel nonsense bogged down the story and ending felt like fanfiction.

Tournament of Power has been solid with moments of cool stuff sprinkled throughout.

Better than GT, but doesn't hold a candle to DB or DBZ.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Just my opinion as a fan for the past 20 years but the ToP arc is the best Dragonball has ever been. The "Hunger Games" style story that allowed everyone to get in with such a large variety of new fighters to boot cured a lot of my issues with things like the Buu saga where it's basically just the one villain for a million episodes.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It's mediocre with only two good arcs.

Beerus arc was a limp noodle dragged out version of the movie.

Champa arc was okay. Hit and Cabba were the best things to come out of this tournament arc.

Future Trunks arc was good up until the final stretch where the time travel nonsense bogged down the story and ending felt like fanfiction.

Tournament of Power has been solid with moments of cool stuff sprinkled throughout.

Better than GT, but doesn't hold a candle to DB or DBZ.
I really don't even see the point of bringing Future Trunks back. They brought him back to ruin his life and give him a way worse ending then he already got. All we got out of that arc was another Zeno.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it, it wasn't as good as Z and certainly not as good as DB but way better than GT. If I had to rank the four it would go:

DB >> Z > Super>>>>>>>>>>GT

Dragon Ball for me was at its best when it was about adventure and martial arts something which unfortunately died with Z.