• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I said Banjo, but I realized that it would be an incredibly tough game to get right and please fans. There just aren't very many great 3D platformers out there today. Yooka-laylee, which is the closest thing to Banjo just wasn't good at all.

A new Viva pinata seems like a slam dunk though.
Most fans would be happy if Rare/Xbox just gave it an honest try. The first Yooka-Laylee was held back by being developed by a small team on a limited budget. A Microsoft-backed Banjo-Kazooie revival wouldn't have the same problem.

There will always be a vocal minority that will never be happy with a new Banjo game (especially if it doesn't come to a Nintendo platform), but Xbox shouldn't let those "fans" stop them from trying to bring back the IP.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's only a matter of time before we get another Banjo. The question is will it be a remake or a new game?

Nov 8, 2017
Too many good choices.

Viva Piñata would be awesome. Banjo is also a good choice. Would also love another Freelancer, but maybe Starfield would suffice. Had good memories with Blast Corps. Conker sounds fun. Fuck it, Jet Force Gemini too.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playtonic said last year they would love to work on Banjo-Kazooie but that the ball wasn't in their court.

Iirc, we also don't know what Gregg Mayles is working on at Rare at the moment (though I don't expect it to be Banjo-Kazooie).

Honestly I wouldn't want a BK game from them, not after YL. Using BK characters isn't going to magically save the gameplay. It needs to be someone else.

May 10, 2019

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Banjo, Microsoft has said Banjo could come back if Rare wants to make it, Rare says far more people don't know what Banjo is than do so it's not worth it. Of course, gaming enthusiasts like ResetEra and streamers know/want Banjo, and would point to Crash & Spyro as the reason they could come back, but another developer would have to want to make a straight Banjo game or have a unique take on it.

I don't know if any of Microsoft's developers currently would want to work with an older IP - like Banjo - instead of their own thing. The Initiative was formed to work on Perfect Dark, being the only exception; every other Rare IP was outsourced. People say Double Fine, but they're more likely to be the new IP factory than any other developer currently. If Double Fine were ever to do an existing Rare IP, I'd rather they tackle Conker than Banjo.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Fable and Perfect Dark were two of the IPs I wanted the most, so I'm pretty happy right now. If I get Banjo-Kazooie as well, I won't ask MS for more returning IPs for a while.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing PGR, Shadowrun, Freelancer, Viva Pinata and Crimson Skies return as well.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Voted for Lost Odyssey, because I keep hearing how great it was, and if Microsoft do a revival, maybe they'll bring the first one to PC as well.

Would also like

1) Freelancer- the only space sim I was ever able to get into, I'd love that same "dogfight for dummies" -level game.

2) Kameo- because there can never be too many action-adventure games.

3) Shadowrun- as a Day 1 backer for Shadowrun Returns and Hong Kong, and an ardent Alpha Protocol apologist, I want Obsidian to apply that formula to the Shadowrun IP... that's like my dream game(s)

Age of Mythology- Forgotten Empires does good work, and AoM was a really fun RTS. Still need to try out the Chinese expansion for the HD re-release.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
They could do a remake of Banjo and it would sell incredibly well. I really don't know why they haven't. I know the genre isn't as popular as it used to be but nostalgia is powerful.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I think Shadowrun would be a phenomenal setting for a Destiny-esque GaaS, or an open world shooter/RPG. If that rumor that Square Enix has their Western studios up for sale is true, putting the Deus Ex/Thief team on a Shadowrun game would be a match made in heaven.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Blue Dragon

40701320061202_210336_0_big.jpg
Does MS own the IP on this one?

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
This is cheating, but New Vegas 2 (or Knights of the Old Republic 3) would be a dream.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
The mech section in Gears of War 4 had me dreaming of a new MechAssault, which even Phil has expressed interest in reviving on multiple occasions.

MatheusSiadeF

Oct 29, 2020
I hope MS opens up new studios or hire some 3rd parties to revive their older franchises. I want the new studios they've bought to have complete creative control, specially Double Fine. Hope they can surprise us with new and fresh experiences. I do really want a new Banjo Kazooie though.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I hope MS opens up new studios or hire some 3rd parties to revive their older franchises. I want the new studios they've bought to have complete creative control, specially Double Fine. Hope they can surprise us with new and fresh experiences. I do really want a new Banjo Kazooie though.
I agree. Unless Double Fine wants to do it, of course.

DF is basically the American Rare, so they'll probably continue to work on their own IP and create new IPs.

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
I think the most obvious two are Banjo Kazooie and Kung Fu Chaos.
I'd like to throw Jet Force Gemini and Conker into the mix as well as a 3rd and 4th options.
MS owns the original developer of Kung Fu Chaos as well, Ninja Theory.

SamAlexT

Jul 21, 2020
Banjo-Kazooie!
I don't mind who would make it. It could be Moon Studios, Playtonic, Rare & Gregg, but the duo must return this gen