• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Reading the above article dieh@rd posted, it seems like there is definitely a shaky foundation here.

As a lot of this outsourcing seems to be a pipeline that allows studios to use low cost workers in countries like China to do a lot of the time consuming stuff like asset creation. Therefore keeping budgets down.

Which if things with China go south and/or there aren't any low cost alternatives(or the low cost alternatives start achieving better wages in their countries), it will be very difficult for this type of game to sustain itself I imagine. As if you take those 4000 people and pay them average US industry salaries, the numbers become eye popping.
These support studios have already popped up outside of China, South East Asia is another huge area for them, but they exist all over.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
These support studios have already popped up outside of China, South East Asia is another huge area for them, but they exist all over.

Yep and you even have western studios opening new offices in places like India and Malaysia to support game development

Sony, Rockstar, Sumo Digital, Codemasters, Larian all have at least one studio in India or Malaysia.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Huh. This is what Jonathan Cooper talked about I guess. In order to finish the game to quality they started outsourcing a lot of animation, which was apparently new for them. Previously it had all been in-house.

I think this game came in really hot over an entire year. There's multiple things both in the story and in the game's production to suggest it. Druckmann also looked really stressed in most of the crunch-cycle videos, in a way that did not come across in his previous games IMO.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Oh I'm sure, I'm just saying that it seems like the industry is really dependent on these low cost outsourcing pipelines and if they don't have them, I'm not sure I can see how these games would remain sustainable?

Just doing some napkin math the numbers are staggering.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
That explains this.

E9u12nd.jpg

ZjRWe7p.png

Credits: TLOU 2 PhotoThread

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Huh. This is what Jonathan Cooper talked about I guess. In order to finish the game to quality they started outsourcing a lot of animation, which was apparently new for them. Previously it had all been in-house.

I think this game came in really hot over an entire year. There's multiple things both in the story and in the game's production to suggest it. Druckmann also looked really stressed in most of the crunch-cycle videos, in a way that did not come across in his previous games IMO.
You are making some extreme, unverified leaps of logic. The outsourcing is absolutely common as several posters have explained above and done mainly for assets.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
You are making some extreme, unverified leaps of logic. The outsourcing is absolutely common as several posters have explained above and done mainly for assets.
It's common, but allegedly not common for animation, for Naughty Dog. I'm going off a tweet-rant from Jonathan Cooper, an ex-employee I've looked up to for years.

I mean hiring people is even more expensive, especially for stuff that might just be needed for a fraction of the development. That's why IT consultants are so popular despite being expensive as heck
Yeah but you want people who stick around who have the talent you can rely on and bounce off from. If you're a 10 man group outsourcing to different companies making it up to 1000 people (just as an example) over several projects you're going to see wildly different results.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
ND has been outsourcing since at least the first Uncharted. (judging by the credits) Probably even longer than that.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but you want people who stick around who have the talent you can rely on and bounce off from. If you're a 10 man group outsourcing to different companies making it up to 1000 people (just as an example) over several projects you're going to see wildly different results.

The people you want sticking around will just get hired at ND .
Outsourcing assets etc etc does not matter when it comes to finding talent or wanting to keep it.
It's why ND now near 400 people compare to 150 just 10 years ago .

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The tweet rant that had verifiable falsehoods exposed by other ND staff? Okay sure.
He deleted half of it. I searched google and found this, so you're somewhat right, but I think Cooper still has a perfect point about talent-retention and Naughty Dog not being committed to their employed workforce.
arkk9emox1n41.jpg

There are skeletons falling out of the closet on this game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I'm sure, I'm just saying that it seems like the industry is really dependent on these low cost outsourcing pipelines and if they don't have them, I'm not sure I can see how these games would remain sustainable?

Just doing some napkin math the numbers are staggering.
Oh, for sure it's an absolutely crucial pillar of game development now, especially AAA. I think it's too wide spread and too important to really go away at this point. I'm more worried about the industry intentionally stifling growth in those markets, so they never be more than just support studios.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What the actual fuck 2000 employees... That is rediculous.
2000 developers includes outsourced contractors. Those aren't really employees, as it relates to Naughty Dog and Sony.

It's common, but allegedly not common for animation, for Naughty Dog. I'm going off a tweet-rant from Jonathan Cooper, an ex-employee I've looked up to for years.

After some of the other shit Jonathan Cooper tweeted out, or rather outright made up, I would take anything he said with a massive grain of salt. He was also lowkey shitting on the junior animations hires ND had made.

edit: you already know all this and are still on this shit?

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Yeah the end credits was insanely long. Got some solid project managers over there to pull everything so seamlessly together and keep things on track.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People seriously believed that a game like TLOU 2 or any other AAA title was developed exclusively by the developer?

I guess I opened some eyes with this thread

What makes studios "the best" is when they are smart enough to realize they are not "the best" to be doing something on their game. Knowing that they have partners out there who could make their game even better is why AAA games are AAA games. Everyone from Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Ninja Theory, 343, The Coalition to Nintendo are outsourcing parts of their games to studios that do one thing and do it extremely well. Think of it a lot like doctors. You have general practitioners, but when you have an issue with your throat they refer you to ENT. Your lungs a cardiologist. And so on. Whenever complex systems are in place there is always someone with a very specific focus who can do a better job than you can. Relying on them makes you better off or in the case of videogames you will end up with a better game.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
How's that bad, outside of the crunch (which is sadly normal for videogames or industries similar to it), it gives a lot of people work.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about right. Heavy reliance on contractors and outsourcing is the norm these days. AAA games made by a single dev house don't exist anymore.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yea not sure why people are all of the sudden villainizing outsourcing.
Not villanizing outsourcing. It's commonplace, we know, but ND is particularly known for its in-house "no producers" development which has largely led to its success. I don't know about the cost of this outsourcing on TLOU2. Who knows, maybe it is a new, better solution financially and stability-wise than before... but the amount of departures and turnover just tells another story IMO.

I've just learned from other franchises (mainly BioWare) that when the management squeezes too hard the talent runs out, and then if they keep doing it, outsourcing isn't going to be enough. TLOU2 impressed me with how good it was after how much I thought people of talent had left, so we'll just have to wait and see if ND even keeps making these kinds of games for 5 more years.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Not villanizing outsourcing. It's commonplace, we know, but ND is particularly known for its in-house "no producers" development which has largely led to its success. I don't know about the cost of this outsourcing on TLOU2. Who knows, maybe it is a new, better solution financially and stability-wise than before... but the amount of departures and turnover just tells another story IMO.

I've just learned from other franchises (mainly BioWare) that when the management squeezes too hard the talent runs out, and then if they keep doing it, outsourcing isn't going to be enough. TLOU2 impressed me with how good it was after how much I thought people of talent had left, so we'll just have to wait and see if ND even keeps making these kinds of games for 5 more years.
Well yea, let's wait and not make any harsh assumptions.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
You're mainly getting this from one sketchy guy and his tweets.
The one sketchy guy who wrote GameAnim, a really helpful and insightful book on game animation, worked on some of my all time faves over the years (Mass Effect 1, Assassins Creed, Uncharted 4) and who has a very good portfolio. He's probably taking it too far, especially using Twitter as the platform to take his feud (we've seen this go wrong every time, Marty O Donnell and Activision etc.) but it's a rare glimpse for the everymen out here to see how developers actually feel and not the political "We love our work, our partners are great" or whatever.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
He deleted half of it. I searched google and found this, so you're somewhat right, but I think Cooper still has a perfect point about talent-retention and Naughty Dog not being committed to their employed workforce.
arkk9emox1n41.jpg

There are skeletons falling out of the closet on this game.

Outsourcing and attrition are not necessarily related. Studios without attrition outsource as well. Contractors and outsourcers are traditionally used when you need people for a certain task that is a one-time thing and not necessarily a long term need. This is extremely common across the entire tech industry.

The one sketchy guy who wrote GameAnim, a really helpful and insightful book on game animation, worked on some of my all time faves over the years (Mass Effect 1, Assassins Creed, Uncharted 4) and who has a very good portfolio. He's probably taking it too far, especially using Twitter as the platform to take his feud (we've seen this go wrong every time, Marty O Donnell and Activision etc.) but it's a rare glimpse for the everymen out here to see how developers actually feel and not the political "We love our work, our partners are great" or whatever.

Being an expert on game animation does not make you an expert on project management, staffing, etc.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

You are not making any sense all big AAA games outsource no matter the talent .
ND having no produces don't mean they don't outsource they have been outsourcing for years , so it's not new .
If want to talking about talent leaving lets see who leave in the next couple of years and then who replace them .

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
If want to talking about talent leaving lets see who leave in the next couple of years and then who replace them .
My point was this would be outsourcing animation teams. But yes, we'll have to wait and see. I fully concede outsourcing is a natural part of AAA dev, and something you can see in big reknowned things like Capcom's RE2 Remake (huge amounts of outsourcing in credits). And also that without the in-house talent available, outsourcing does lead to great results usually.

But I don't think outsourcing is a reliable method to building a developer persona. I think there's several examples of largely in-house productions that have certain trademark things, which are eroded the more you do it with outsourcing, which is the point I'm making.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
The Last of Us 2 is quadruple A. And it shows. It's above all other AAA titles this generation. And we've had some massive ones.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Can we call something so manufactured "author art"? Although I guess it's not much different to movies with CGI.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
My point was this would be outsourcing animation teams. But yes, we'll have to wait and see. I fully concede outsourcing is a natural part of AAA dev, and something you can see in big reknowned things like Capcom's RE2 Remake (huge amounts of outsourcing in credits). And also that without the in-house talent available, outsourcing does lead to great results usually.

First you have no idea if they outsourcing animation .
That is some thing you come up with after reading one person tweet that put down there new hires .
ND also has a huge amount of animators and keep on adding to them .

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Unsurprising, phenomenal achievement.

How do those numbers compare to assassin's creed (a considerably less impressive game)?