• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
Then you find out he's got mental issues, so you feel sorry for him. And then he's given a gun and uses it, so you've got this crazy guy who goes on a crime spree, and you're supposed to like him
I'm certainly not one to advocate creative censorship, but film can influence society and culture in both subtle and not-so-subtle ways.
Jesus Christ, don't let them watch Taxi Driver, I don't think they can handle it.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
The academy has needed to purge some of it's members for a while.

Particularly the longest serving ones.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm not too surprised. Connections get you farther than you deserve sometimes. It's embarrassing. "Oh, I haven't seen it yet, and if I do, I'm going to sit right by the exit!" What kind of shit is that?

I still don't know whether to interpret that quote as an "I'm scared what the media told me, gotta sit by an emergency exit" or "I want to get ready to leave it's so bad".

The bare minimum is just to watch the darn thing and make your OWN opinion, not based off the media, movie critics, or directors' takes.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just saw Joker a couple of days ago and was generally unimpressed. Phoenix is good, but not Oscar good, and the movie itself was poorly paced and absolutely joyless.

that one seems weird to me, if you don't like joyless movies thats fine, but i don't know if you should criticize a movie for something its not trying to be

i mean when i watch something like a Tarkovsky movie im not disappointed that im not having 'fun', because thats not the type of movie its supposed to be

maybe you can expand on what you meant by this

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the complaints are that the Joker is made out to be sympathetic and a character you can like, I not only call bullshit, but there have been countless terrible people written with charm or some type of alluring quality that the audience could see themselves liking (i.e., Walter and Soprano).

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
This thread is hilarious. Y'all are always talking about how Marvel movies aren't shit and that people need to accept when critics don't care for them, but when this movie gets any kind of backlash you all act like the sky is falling.

Also, if you care about the issue of racism and them pushing for Green Book to win, maybe stanning for this movie and comparing it to Blackkklansmen getting snubbed isn't the way to go.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
These are actual Oscar voter quotes? Can they seriously, so blatantly, judge film by its cover?

The mentality in those quotes is archaic, no?

MikeyLikesIt

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
I still haven't seen it because I'm not interested in a Joker origin story, especially as it seems like they just slapped the Joker name on a different movie. Phoenix didn't even want anything Batman-related in the movie which tells me he was embarrassed to make a comic book film. I maybe would have been interested if Scorsese directed this but a hack like Phillips? No thanks.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one watches them because the show is too long and they can find out the results on twitter/internet

Not to mention they are usually for movies no one has fucking watched. I remember a poll where only 2% of viewers had watched all the nominees for best picture. And only like 30% had watched even a SINGLE movie.

I get it isn't a popularity contest, but if you're just going to celebrate movies no one has any interest in watching prime time seems like the wrong place to do it. The viewership will just keep dropping. Maybe not every year, but over time it will.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
These are the same people that gave Driving Miss Daisy 2: The Electric Boogaloo movie of the year last here. So here's a huge grain of salt for them.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, I've been waiting to hear from the group that gave 4 Oscars to Bohemian Rhapsody, the critically panned film directed by a child rapist. Wait, they are the same group that awarded Best Picture to the socially deaf Green Book? They sure know about them movies!

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Male member of writers branch: "Alas, I haven't seen Joker — I want to, if only because of the controversy and because I adore the [Alan] Moore take on the Joker in [the 1988 graphic novel] Killing Joke. As for its director, his comments on what he calls 'The Whiners Guild' tell me he's a dickwad and a fuckknuckle."

LOL

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
pulling "irresponsible" as the buzzword here seems like a misrepresentation.

Everything ive heard about the movie makes it sound like a typical hollywood portrayal of a guy who goes crazy, which usually is an irresponsible portrayal, yes