Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to read too much of the thread yet but I just finished all of the chapter 1s and I've got two questions. Is your first character locked in for good and at what point do secondary jobs open up? I was sure I would have heard something about sub jobs by the 15 hour mark but also I'm kinda slow at rpgs :)

Your first character can be removed from the party when you finish their final chapter. Secondary jobs are open as soon as you find them, which you probably will on your way to chapter 2s. They're marked on the map as little... menorah looking icons.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I am strongly considering demoting Tressa merchant/cleric off the main team now that I have most of the main stolen/purchased equipment. I'm considering running Therion thief/cleric instead, specifically for his steal and his debuffs.

My main team is:

H'annit hunter/warrior
Cyrus scholar/merchant

with 6sp regen/turn, 600+ ele attack, cyrus nukes constantaly and those two are my main DDs. So someone just has to cleric sub to heal. Other than that, you might as well bring both a debuffer and a buffer with Thief and Dancer, right? Might just run those two in addition to Therion and Primrose. Or else hell, just bring another Warrior. Truth is though, you'll be using a bench character for chapter progression much of the time anyways. So you're kind of picking a main team of three.

Tressa is awesome for the first leg of game but once you don't need a ton of money anymore she just doesn't really do a whole lot. Not unless you make her a warrior or a scholar as a main DD.

Deleted member 4541

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once I start a characters chapter 1 do I have to finish it, or can I venture out to get different characters & come back to it later?

I started Ophelia's story but I'm having trouble with her boss. My other two characters are Therion/H'aanit, but during the fight I'm having trouble with the:

Dark Wisps that spawn & explode after 3 turns. I got managed to kill 3 of them once & to my surprise, 3 more spawned right after.

If I'm stuck with what I have — any tips?

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
We in~
JNbo9TC.jpg
DjBfvGj.jpg
Side note, the cards in this are really, really pretty.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Once I start a characters chapter 1 do I have to finish it, or can I venture out to get different characters & come back to it later?

I started Ophelia's story but I'm having trouble with her boss. My other two characters are Therion/H'aanit, but during the fight I'm having trouble with the:

Dark Wisps that spawn & explode after 3 turns. I got managed to kill 3 of them once & to my surprise, 3 more spawned right after.

If I'm stuck with what I have — any tips?

Ice Stone (I forget the actual name). I used the Medium version the turn after they showed up, did 1000 or so damage, and killed them all immediately. I killed the boss the turn after that. Had Tressa (who I used to buy the stones, from townspeople in Flamesgrace), H'aanit, and Ophilia (of course). Having Ophilia bring in a cleric that boosted party defense was helpful.

Since you have Therion, try stealing those stones.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I am strongly considering demoting Tressa merchant/cleric off the main team now that I have most of the main stolen/purchased equipment. I'm considering running Therion thief/cleric instead, specifically for his steal and his debuffs.

My main team is:

H'annit hunter/warrior
Cyrus scholar/merchant

with 6sp regen/turn, 600+ ele attack, cyrus nukes constantaly and those two are my main DDs. So someone just has to cleric sub to heal. Other than that, you might as well bring both a debuffer and a buffer with Thief and Dancer, right? Might just run those two in addition to Therion and Primrose. Or else hell, just bring another Warrior. Truth is though, you'll be using a bench character for chapter progression much of the time anyways. So you're kind of picking a main team of three.

Tressa is awesome for the first leg of game but once you don't need a ton of money anymore she just doesn't really do a whole lot. Not unless you make her a warrior or a scholar as a main DD.
I've been having success with her as a Hunter. If she's not donating BP, she's whittling down enemy shields with the Second Serving (chance that physical attacks go twice for here) skill or with Arrowstorm (provided the enemies have a weakness to bows). And the True Aim skill seems to reliably hit for good damage when boosted. I got a Holy Longbow for her (I admittedly stole it...) but with it, she reliably hits for about 2500 or so to a broken enemy, even moreso if their defense is lowered or her strength is buffed. Lowering the chanes of surprise attacks are pretty neat, too.

hashtagrekt

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ugh I get so sick of this stupid complaint. Maybe they should have voiced none of it for you. Perhaps they should have left dual-language off the cart. Such a dumb complaint. It's nothing but a grasp for respect from other JP elitists.

As if you've even played through the game in both languages.

agreed. Several of the voices have been delightful. Especially Tressa and her mother.

Not sure why I'm not allowed to point out the localization and acting lose a lot of the nuances and charm of how the characters and settings are designed. Regardless, I realize I'm part of a niche minority that can even experience such a thing. Doesn't make anything elitist. Who am I trying to impress exactly? I'm just another random name/avatar in a pile of thousands here that no one gives a shit about. Feel free to disagree with my point, but I don't see the need to try to insult or label me as anything other than someone with a different opinion than you.

Hero2Zero

Mar 10, 2018
question, how is primrose story in the game, what i played in the demo it feels like it got dark very fast.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1. Yes to the second, i don't think you can download it anymore.

2. Primrose seems to be the favorite while H'aanit and Therion are considered the weakest either due to gameplay/story segregation (Therion= or the script (H'aanit)

3. Well kinda, depends what are you expecting.

The individual stories are mostly standalone, but there are hints of something bigger going on in the backgroud, that gets resolved in postgame dungeon.

Awesome, thanks. Definitely makes me more interested in this game. I guess I'll just delete the project Octo demo whenever I get around to it, and check out some other of the openings. I figure the less there is to a character's solo story, the more likely I'd start with them.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished H'annit's chapter two (i've also done Tressa, Cyrus, and Primrose's). Her story is by far the most boring imo, but dang if her boss monsters aren't cool looking as heck. They're def my favorite boss designs so far.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Alright so I'm going to finally start this up in a few hours.

I know whoever you pick first as your "main" is a permanent party member, is anyone strongly recommended/discouraged?

Oct 27, 2017
Idk if anyone has said this but fuck Amazon. I ordered July 13th and my estimated arrival dates are August 1st to THE 22nd. Like bro, what?????

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Dancer completely makes Ophilia to be honest. She's great with that. Threw some high level armour on her and she's one of my favourites now.
That's good to hear. She was my first demotion from the main party because she wasn't doing much. But I've been thinking about re-inserting her along with two scholars.
Yup this is also another reason why Ophilia makes a great dancer since she gets access to the high elemental attack daggers
That's very interesting man.
Physical uses the weapon equiped, magic uses EVERYTHING added together across all gear
I dunno about this though. Ele attack bonuses seem to change when you have each weapon highlighted. When you remove one of say your three ele atk weapons it doesn't change your main score though. Also, when you just look at character status, it doesn't include any of the ele atk up bonuses.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im really liking the fact that these guys are all on different missions but im hating the story mission structure. They all feel the same. Shouldve made scenarios to mix up the party skills and paced the combat more evenly. Right now its just walk into town, use your field skill on X number of people, go to dungeon, kill bad guy protected by his goons , move on

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Octopath Traveler |OT| (Damn it, this one's not as dumb as they look.)

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017
Im really liking the fact that these guys are all on different missions but im hating the story mission structure. They all feel the same. Shouldve made scenarios to mix up the party skills and paced the combat more evenly. Right now its just walk into town, use your field skill on X number of people, go to dungeon, kill bad guy protected by his goons , move on
You just talking chapter 1?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about this though. Ele attack bonuses seem to change when you have each weapon highlighted. When you remove one of say your three ele atk weapons it doesn't change your main score though. Also, when you just look at character status, it doesn't include any of the ele atk up bonuses.

Yeah, they're mistaken. A character's highestl Elemental Attack weapon is what's used for spell calculations, and only that one weapon.

Oct 27, 2017
I spent the whole day playing and exploring the land. Ended up going what I think is every city and found 3 of the extra jobs but was too weak to unlock them.

I'm currently around level 38 with my main team with extra strong gear I stole... Still have only done one of the chapter 2 stories (primrose)... I think I'll be a wee bit overpowered for the rest of them.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Did two Chapter 2 bosses so far and they seem a little spongy, but setting up for a big burst of damage every few turns seems to make them go by faster. I've been cycling people in and out with no regard for optimal teams in each chapter just to mix things up and see how I do. One arrangement happened to be nearly perfect, the other was probably a little too support/healing oriented and made random encounters kinda slow. Doing Primrose's Chapter 2 with a group that's very magic-focused and has very bad weapon coverage, so it'll be fun to see how this one goes, haha.

Probably going to get second jobs only after I finish everyone's second chapter. I think I've got game "figured out" so it's not that difficult -- about at the level of Dragon Quest game -- so I feel like adding more abilities would just tip the scales way too much right now.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
15 hours in, enjoying this game a fair bit. However, I am quite disappointed with handheld mode. It's very soft, and quite blurry at times. While I can't pixel count; I feel like it's probably not a fixed resolution, as it looks to go below 720p quite often. All the post processing definitely does not help handheld out as well. It's unfortunate because it doesn't do the nice pixel art justice. Played the entire first day handheld, and then moved to docked the next day and it was a night and day difference. The clarity is far higher while docked.

Wonderful game, but I can't say im not a bit disheartened by docked being so much better.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You just talking chapter 1?
ive done ch2 for 4 characters and ch1 for all of them..

Im also very confused because i cant settle for more than 3 characters jobs
olberic+apothecary
cyrus+healer
therion+merchant are all perfect.

first two curbstomp the living shit out of mobs no problem all by themselves. cyrus heals like a boss when necessary. (both magic stats are close to 600,mp is 340 iirc)
olberic has close to 4000 hp , can heal himself so i keep his defense low , poison enemies but mostly relies on last stand at low hp to wreck everything with the golden axe.
therion is the mp battery , mostly speed evasion gear , is borderline impossible to kill and shares mp and bp with rest.(both the others have decent mp regen too plus im working towards 1/2 sp cost for cyrus)

currently my 4th is tressa with dancer and just kinda spam that last random dance to up the challenge and hope for better rewards, sometimes i use her for breaks using mercenaries. this also means i have pretty much everything that i would need to break an enemy.

prim does absolute shit damage no matter what subclass i give her.

i wanna go with haanit for her beast capture which is infinitely more reliable that either of prims or the other girls summoning, but for the life of me i hate the hunter class itself. her bow skills are so boring .

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did not expect this, but Cyrus is becoming my favorite Octopath character.

At first I thought his story would be a dull, with just him trying to find some book. But with chapter 2 is clear he's getting into something over his head and dangerous.

Plus the banter between Cyrus and Odette was cute. Her description says she's 40. . . is Cyrus also near 40?

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Just switched over to handheld mode and wow! This game is a perfect fit for Switch on the go. Well done Square. (=
Oh, and I slowly but surely finished chapter 1 stories and was seeing if there is some stuff I should grab or bosses I need to face before starting chapter 2 stories? Any advice?

Negative

Oct 25, 2017
I turned off the voice acting within the first 5 minutes of starting the game. I don't like voice acting in any game, really. It's like reading a book vs. an audio book. I'd much rather just read.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
ive done ch2 for 4 characters and ch1 for all of them..

Im also very confused because i cant settle for more than 3 characters jobs
olberic+apothecary
cyrus+healer
therion+merchant are all perfect.

first two curbstomp the living shit out of mobs no problem all by themselves. cyrus heals like a boss when necessary. (both magic stats are close to 600,mp is 340 iirc)
olberic has close to 4000 hp , can heal himself so i keep his defense low , poison enemies but mostly relies on last stand at low hp to wreck everything with the golden axe.
therion is the mp battery , mostly speed evasion gear , is borderline impossible to kill and shares mp and bp with rest.(both the others have decent mp regen too plus im working towards 1/2 sp cost for cyrus)

currently my 4th is tressa with dancer and just kinda spam that last random dance to up the challenge and hope for better rewards, sometimes i use her for breaks using mercenaries. this also means i have pretty much everything that i would need to break an enemy.

prim does absolute shit damage no matter what subclass i give her.

i wanna go with haanit for her beast capture which is infinitely more reliable that either of prims or the other girls summoning, but for the life of me i hate the hunter class itself. her bow skills are so boring .
If you wouldn't mind, may I ask you something about the scaling? I am just now finishing my the first chapter for the last of the eight characters. I had planned on splitting into two groups, finishing one at a time. Do the areas for the characters you are not playing as scale up as other characters gain levels? That would put a bit of a damper on the split grouping.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, they're mistaken. A character's highestl Elemental Attack weapon is what's used for spell calculations, and only that one weapon.
oh okay, great!

I assume its the same way when using multiple warrior weapons then? Let's say you have a sword with +200atk +100 speed and +80 crit. And then you have two other weapons equipped with smaller amounts of crit and speed. You will always have the +100 speed +80 crit active no matter which weapon you are currently attacking with, no more no less?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So what's a good subclass for Cyrus, anyway? Originally I was going to go with Cleric, but I heard that you're better off putting a subclass with more weapons on him for the sake of further raising his elemental attack (how does that even work?)

With that in mind, I'm considering Merchant or Warrior, and while I feel like Merchant would be the best since it gets him Wind magic in addition to Bow and Spear usage, I hate how it looks on him, so I would love to be proven wrong about this.

EDIT: Wait, the comment above mine seems to have cleared this up for me lol. Cleric Cyrus it is, I suppose!

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So what's a good subclass for Cyrus, anyway? Originally I was going to go with Cleric, but I heard that you're better off putting a subclass with more weapons on him for the sake of further raising his elemental attack (how does that even work?)

With that in mind, I'm considering Merchant or Warrior, and while I feel like Merchant would be the best since it gets him Wind magic in addition to Bow and Spear usage, I hate how it looks on him, so I would love to be proven wrong about this.

EDIT: Wait, the comment above mine seems to have cleared this up for me lol. Cleric Cyrus it is, I suppose!

I got Thief as his subclass so he can swipe away some SP every once in a while.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Haanit just hit for 12K on her Chapter 2 boss. The buffs and debuffs really make a difference. Having her as a hunter/warrior she just deals a ton of damage as it is.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I got thief job for Primrose.

What jobs should I get for H'aanit, Olberic and Alfyn?

I hear hunter-warrior combo is strong, but I fear it will get redundant in terms of gameplay variety. Although I might give H'aanit the warrior regardless, seeing how she's turned into my main DPS.

I also fancy a magician job for Alfyn and I'm wondering if I should get Ophelia's or Cyrus'? What would you guys recommend.

P.S. It fucking sucks subjobs don't come with path actions. Makes me wonder if 4 characters per playthrough really is as optimal ad developers claimed. I don't feel I have enough options to fully experience the sidequests. Am I wrong?

peach_loaf

Banned
Jul 9, 2018
Just saw some endgame spoiler from Youtube thumbnails, feeling very bad right now...
Why do they have to do that with every game.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
It's been so long since I've sat down and just played a jrpg like this and my god is this nailing every aspect of what I loved about games from this genre.

Started with Haanit and have been slowly making my way toward her second chapter. Currently have a party of her, Therion, Alfyn with warrior as his second job, and Tressa. Currently bumming around Stonegard. Just stole a rock cleaver, markman's longbow, and falcon garb that have really made cave fights a lot easier to manage. Same with the Beastly and Dragon scarves; which have both saved me in a few tight situations so far.

EDIT: Just cleared the second chapter. Linde almost screwed me over by constantly using Sweep instead of Pounce during the provoked fight with the guard on the bridge, but I had a Killer Bug stored away that managed to make up for it.

Last edited:

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Started as Ophelia... Got bored in the intro and tabled it. Just got back to it... Still in the intro. How freaking long is this intro? When do I get to the game part of the RPG?

TheWanderer

Jul 14, 2018
I have a bit of an unconventional team composition. Primrose as a hunter, Cyrus as a warrior, Ophelia as an apothecary, and Tressa as a thief. It works wonderfully and covers all weaknesses. I mean, Tressa alone has 4 physical weapons and 2 elements, Primrose has 3 weapons and 2 elements, Cyrus has 3 weapons and 3 elements, and Ophelia has 2 weapons and 2 elements but can heal so much and I can ramp up amputation for so much damage.

Everyone is around level 28 and I have 27 hours so far, only have done three chapter 2s and I am loving the game.

Edit: When Cyrus says "My focus is unparalleled" I get chills and I know shit is about to go down.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Elemental attack from weapons does not stack; it uses the weapon with the highest Elemental Attack, apparently. (per Reddit, "Elemental Attack only takes the highest stat between weapons. Ie. Between a staff with 50 elemental attack and a dagger with 40, you will only get the 50 applied no matter what.")

I have Cyrus as a Cleric for access to Holy + megaheals.
ahhh this was very helpful. That answers exactly what I was wondering about. thank you

everyone should click that reddit link and take a quick peak for stat gearing purposes.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Edit;
I see that reddit link from the reply above my post. That certainly clears up what I was wondering about.

So I have a pretty major equipment and stat question I hope some of you can answer. I noticed when looking at a characters info page the numbers dont add up.

In a nut shell, does the stat a piece of equipment is granting only pull the highest number available regardless of other pieces of gear that are giving you the same stat increase?

For example, I have armor that gives 80 evasion, and a hat that gives 60 evasion. Is the hats evasion meaningless? Would it be better to equip something that grants a different stat bonus?

How do the different weapons work? If you attack with a Sword that has 100 attack, while you have a Axe that has 200 attack, does the Sword damage use the higher 200 attack value?

With spells, if I have a Rod that has 100 elemental attack, and an Axe that has 200, does the spell utilize the higher Axe elemental attack?

I really started second guessing some of my equipment recently and I'm not sure how it all works . Hopefully someone here knows .